Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Roman Catholic


Sarina, QLD - Catholic

Sarina, QLD - Catholic

Address: 1 Range Road, , Sarina Queensland, 4737

Read More

Scone, NSW - Mary Queen of Peace Catholic

Scone, NSW - Mary Queen of Peace Catholic

Address: Park Street, , Scone New South Wales, 2337

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Honour and Glory of God and in loving memory of Revd Edmund McGrath P.P. Pastor of Scone 1883 - 1919 his Tower was erected Oct 18 1925".

Read More

Scottsdale, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Scottsdale, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 51 George Street, , Scottsdale Tsmania, 7260

One of the most fascinating events in the story of Scottsdale Was the removal of St. Patrick's Church from the centre of the town to a new site in George Street. The entire operation was carried out with the help of a sturdy bullock team. There was plenty of motor transport available at the time, but it was felt that the steadier beasts…

Read More

Seacombe Gardens, SA - Holy Spirit Catholic

Seacombe Gardens, SA - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 29 Ramsay Avenue, , Seacombe Gardens South Australia, 5047

Read More

Seaford, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Seaford, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 84 Austin Road, , Seaford Victoria, 3198

The Parish was established in 1964. A wall plaque reads, " This Church of St Anne Seaford was solemnly dedicated by Most Rev T.F. Little D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne 25th July 1982. The word was made flesh and pitched his tent among us. John 1:14. Thanks be to God and the generosity of Many people".

Read More

Sefton, NSW - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic

Sefton, NSW - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic

Address: 6 Kerrinea Road, , Sefton New South Wales, 2162

In 1948 a small brick hall which was used as a Mass Centre and had previously been used as a dance hall and picture theatre.

Read More

Serpentine, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Serpentine, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 19 Chapel Street, , Serpentine Victoria, 3517

Read More

Serpentine, VIC - St Saviour's Catholic (Former)
Seven Hills, NSW - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Seven Hills, NSW - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Address: 7 Grantham Road, , Seven Hills New South Wales, 2147

Read More

Seymour, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Seymour, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Crawford Street, , Seymour Victoria, 3661

In 1855 a grant of land was given by the Government. It was situated at the northern end of Emily Street, but it was found to be unsatisfactory because it was too far from the town and was subject to flooding. This grant was later cancelled and in 1869 another grant was made of the present site. Patrick Hanna who donated the church bell…

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Holy Cross Catholic

Sheffield, TAS - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: 42 High Street, , Sheffield Tasmania, 7306

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by the Most Rev Archbishop William Barry on November 13th 1921 DEO Grattas".

Read More

Shellharbour City Centre, NSW - All Saints Catholic

Shellharbour City Centre, NSW - All Saints Catholic

Address: 19 College Avenue, , Shellharbour City Centre New South Wales, 2529

A wall plaque reads, " All Saints Church Shellharbour City was dedicated on 3rd October 2012 by Most Rev P.W. Ingham D.D. Bishop of Wollongong. Mass was first celebrated in the church on 22nd September 2012 Architect Darnall Holdings Builder Manteena Parish Priest Rev B. Jones P.P. V.G.".

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic

Shepparton, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 121 Knight Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

The very first Mass held in the Shepparton area was held in 1876.* The first reference to St Brendan's church was made in the Advocate Newspaper of 16 July 1881 when it mentioned the drawing of an Art Union for the St Brendan's Presbytery. The names of the Architect and builder are not known due to a fire that destroyed the records.*…

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - St Mell's Christ the King Catholic

Shepparton, VIC - St Mell's Christ the King Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 18 Hamilton Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 July 1970 by the most Reverend B.D. Stewart D.D.Bishop of Sandhurst.

Read More

Smithton, TAS - St Peter Chanel Catholic

Smithton, TAS - St Peter Chanel Catholic

Address: 12 Sampson Avenue, , Smithton Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Smythesdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Smythesdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 66 Brooks Street, , Smythesdale Victoria, 3351

The Church was originally built in the early 1860s at the south end of Smythesdale township and later moved to the block of land on the north side of the Court House. It was demolished in the early 1970s and replaced by the old weatherboard and corrugated iron roofed Catholic Church building from Haddon.

Read More

Snake Valley, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Snake Valley, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Address: Corner Carngham Linton & Snake Valley Smythedale Roads, , Snake Valley Victoria, 3351

Read More

Snowtown, SA - St Canice's Catholic (Former)

Snowtown, SA - St Canice's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1935

Address: Corner High Street West & Railway Parade, , Snowtown South Australia, 5520

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 August 1935 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide. The Church was put up for sale on 2023.

Read More

Sorell, TAS - St Thoma's Catholic

Sorell, TAS - St Thoma's Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: 22 Arthur Street, , Sorell Tasmania, 7172

Bishop Willson asked the Government for a church allotment at Sorell. Four years later, he sent a detailed plan of the land he required, four lots for "a minister's house, school and other Church purposes'', and the same number of lots for a cemetery. It was pointed out that the Catholics had not received any grant from the Government in…

Read More

South Brisbane, QLD - St Clement Melkite Catholic

South Brisbane, QLD - St Clement Melkite Catholic

Address: 74 Ernest Street, , South Brisbane Queensland, 4101

The foundation stone for this church was laid in 1929, however due to a scarcity of donations with the onset of the Depression, construction was halted and it was not until 1936 that, through the determination of the Lebanese community, the church was finally opened. Designed in the Interwar Romanesque architectural style, A Foundation…

Read More

South Brisbane, QLD - St Mary's Catholic

South Brisbane, QLD - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1893

Address: 20 Merivale Street, , South Brisbane Queensland, 4101

The Church was the second Catholic Church to be built in South Brisbane and was built adjacent to the first church, a small wooden chapel erected in 1865. The chapel was expanded in 1868 when two aisles were added almost doubling its size. The Architect was Simkin & Ibler and the construction period was between 1892–1929. At the time…

Read More

South Grafton, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

South Grafton, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: 72 Skinner Street, , South Grafton New South Wales, 2460

In 1900 South Grafton was established as a separate Parish to Grafton and included Nymboida, Cowper and Ulmarra. The Original church was opened and blessed in 1881 by Bishop Torreggiani and the present church was built in 1936.

Read More

South Melbourne, VIC - St Peter and Paul Catholic

South Melbourne, VIC - St Peter and Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1869

Address: Corner Dorcas & Montegue Streets, , South Melbourne Victoria, 3205

The area where this church stands was once known as Emerald Hill before becoming South Melbourne. Father John O'Connell was appointed to the charge of Emerald Hill and Sandridge in 1854 and this meant that Emerald Hill was the first strictly suburban Parish in the Diocese. Built of bluestone and of Gothic style the Architect was TA…

Read More

South Yarra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

South Yarra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: 30 Fitzgerald Street, , South Yarra Victoria, 3141

The foundation stone of St Joseph’s Church was laid on 18 March 1888 and the building opened on 28 October 1888. Designed by architects Tappin, Gilbert & Dennehy, this is a large cruciform brick building in the Gothic style with stucco dressings, tower and spire. Further additions were completed in August 1892. The Advocate Newspaper…

Read More

Southport, QLD - Catholic

Southport, QLD - Catholic

Address: 31 Edmund Rice Drive, , Southport Queensland, 4215

Read More

Southport, QLD - Guardian Angels Catholic

Southport, QLD - Guardian Angels Catholic

Address: 99 Scarborough Street, , Southport Queensland, 4215

Read More

Spalding, SA - St Augustine Catholic

Spalding, SA - St Augustine Catholic

Address: 26 Main Street, Spalding, South Australia, 5454

Read More

Spring Hill, QLD - St Alban Liberal Catholic

Spring Hill, QLD - St Alban Liberal Catholic

Address: 351 Wickham Terrace, , Spring Hill Queensland, 4000

Read More

Springbank, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Springbank, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: 738 Springbank Road, , Springbank Victoria, 3352

The foundation stone of the Springbank Church was laid by Archbishop Carr D.D. 25th March 1900. The sum of $450 was collected from the crowd of more than 1,000 assembled for the occasion. The Church was opened on December 15th by o Rev. Dean Phelan of Melbourne. The cost was £2,500 and the architect was T. A. Payne. On May 8th 1961…

Read More

Springhurst, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Springhurst, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Address: 1 Tu Can Lane, , Springhurst Victoria, 3682

Read More

Springsure, QLD - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Springsure, QLD - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Gap Street, , Springsure Queensland, 4722

Read More

St Albans, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

St Albans, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

Address: 1A Oleander Drive, , St Albans Victoria, 3021

August 1971 saw the development of the Holy Eucharist Parish. The new Parish was initiated late in 1970 by Fr. O’Reilly and Fr. Guelen was in charge of the parish development and was the parish Priest. The first Mass was held on 19 March, 1972. The new Church was dedicated on 2nd October 1982 by the Most Reverend T.F. Little D.D.…

Read More

St Albans, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

St Albans, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 4 Winifred Street, , St Albans Victoria, 3021

Read More

St Arnaud, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

St Arnaud, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1096

Address: Corner Queen's Avenue & Alma Streets, , St Arnaud Victoria, 3478

Read More

St George, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

St George, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 64 Victoria Street, , St George Queensland, 4487

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. St Patrick's Church blessed and opened by Most Rev W. Brennan D.D. Bishop of Toowoomba 3rd May 1959 - Rev M. Cronin P.P.".

Read More

St Helens, TAS - St Helena and St Stanislaus Catholic

St Helens, TAS - St Helena and St Stanislaus Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: 69 Cecillia Street, , St Helens Tasmania, 7216

Father Martial Mary went to live at St. Helens (George's Bay) in 1878. He built a small timber church and presbytery. One of the most prominent Catholics at St. Helens at the turn of the century was Thomas Haley, "Manager for Messrs. Thureau's Deep Lead Tin Mining Company, the Carson De Bells Wolfram Company, and the New Zealand Fire…

Read More

St Kilda East, VIC - Holy Trinity St Nicholas Russian Catholic

St Kilda East, VIC - Holy Trinity St Nicholas Russian Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 72 Hotham Street, , St Kilda East Victoria, 3183

Constructed in polychrome brick, with stone dressings, in a high Victorian Gothic style, it was designed by architects Hillson Beasley and John Little.1 The building replaced an earlier wooden church that had been located in Westbury Street. The building is composed of red bricks, with Osmaru stone dressings. The windows are of colored…

Read More

St Kilda East, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

St Kilda East, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: 208 Dandenong Road, , St Kilda East Victoria, 3183

The first Catholic Bishop of Melbourne, Bishop James Alipius Goold blessed and opened a Church which was later demolished in 1867. It stood at the southern end of where the present Church stands. After five years of construction, on the 31st July 1864 the current church designed by William Wardell held its first Mass. In 1959, the Lady…

Read More

St Kilda, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

St Kilda, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 83 Grey Street, , St Kilda Victoria, 3182

A memorial stone in part reads, " This Memorial stone was laid by ??? McKenna VC on the 28th of July 1901 Rev William Ganty Rector".

Read More

St Leonards, VIC - St Philip and James Catholic

St Leonards, VIC - St Philip and James Catholic

Address: Portarlington Road, , St Leonards Victoria, 3223

Read More