Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Australian Capital Territory


Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 1 Bonney Street, , Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Originally built as the Necropolis Receiving House as part of the Gothic Mortuary Railway Station at Rookwood, Sydney. It was designed by James Barnet in 1869. Built of stone the mortuary station fell into disrepair and by the 1950s the building's roof had been destroyed in a bushfire. The Anglican Rector of North Canberra successfully…

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - Church of Christ

Ainslie, ACT - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1959

Address: 82 Limestone Avenue, , Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

The Church buildings are by the prominent Melbourne architect Harry Norris, are all of brick – first a Manse in 1953, followed by a hall in the same year, and a church in 1959.

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Holy Cross Lutheran

Belconnen, ACT - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1985

Address: Corner Emu Bank Road & Eastern Valley Way, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 April 1985.

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Ross Smith Crescent & Gatty Street, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

Read More

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Fawkner & Farrer Streets, , Braddon Australian Capital Territory, 2612

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 April 1961 by Reverend Harold G. Durbin.

Read More

Calwell, ACT - Sacred Heart Catholic

Calwell, ACT - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: 100 Casey Crescent, , Calwell Australian Capital Territory, 2905

This Gothic-style weatherboard church was only the second Catholic church in the ACT. Built by voluntary labour, it was opened on 29 June 1902 and formally dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father James O'Gorman from Michelago preached the first sermon. As this was part of the Sydney Diocese, Archbishop Kelly, the fourth…

Read More

Calwell, ACT - St Mary in the Valley Anglican

Calwell, ACT - St Mary in the Valley Anglican

Address: 17 Webber Crescent, , Calwell Australian Capital Territory, 2905

Read More

Cook, ACT - Presbyterian

Cook, ACT - Presbyterian

Address: 61 Templeton Street, , Cook Australian Capital Territory, 2614

Read More

Curtin, ACT - Holy Trinity Catholic

Curtin, ACT - Holy Trinity Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 3 Strangways Street, , Curtin Australian Capital Territory, 2605

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1972 by Archbishop Thomas V. Cahill and reads, "This stone symbol of the Church was blessed and laid by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill Dec 16th 1972 Father B Lynch PP". The Church was dedicated by Archbishop Thomas Cahill at 2.30pm on Sunday 24 March 1974 with a dedication ceremony and Mass.…

Read More

Curtin, ACT - St James Uniting

Curtin, ACT - St James Uniting

Address: Corner Carruthers & Allan Street, , Curtin Australian Capital Territory, 2605

Read More

Dickson, ACT - Baptist Memorial

Dickson, ACT - Baptist Memorial

Year Built: 1964

Address: 133 Cowper Street, , Dickson Australian Capital Territory, 2602

A Foundation plaque reads," This Foundation plaque was unveiled by Chaplain General The Rev Allen Brooke CBE ED first Minister of this Church 11th July 1964, Other foundation can no man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ".

Read More

Evatt, ACT - Baptist

Evatt, ACT - Baptist

Address: Chomley Court, , Evatt Australian Capital Territory, 2617

Read More

Forrest, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Forrest, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: 1 State Circuit, , Forrest Australian Capital Territory, 2603

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…

Read More

Forrest, ACT - St Christopher's Catholic Cathedral

Forrest, ACT - St Christopher's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1938

Address: Franklin Street, , Forrest Australian Capital Territory, 2603

The Cathedral is a Romanesque style building made of brick. The Romanesque wall arches and window jambs are all formed of cream, rounded moulded bricks, as are the door architraves. Its south-east front is symmetrical, dominated by a large rose window above a decorative arched entrance in synthetic stone. Large recessed wall arches in…

Read More

Forrest, ACT - Wesley Uniting

Forrest, ACT - Wesley Uniting

Address: 20 - 22 National Circuit, , Forrest Australian Capital Territory, 2615

A Foundation stone reads, " Rev G. Calvert Barber M.A. B.D. PHD President General Methodist Church of Australasia unveiled this stone 15th May 1954.

Read More

Gungahlin, ACT - Uniting
Hall, ACT - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Hall, ACT - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 220 Victoria Street, , Hall Australian Capital Territory, 2618

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid 9th June 1907 by Most Rev John Gallagher D.D. Bishop of Goulburn Very Rev J.F. Leonard P.P.".

Read More

Holder, ACT - St Jude Catholic

Holder, ACT - St Jude Catholic

Address: 55 Mulley Street, , Holder Australian Capital Territory, 2611

‘In 1972 Archbishop Thomas Cahill erected St. Jude, Holder, as the second parish in Weston Creek. Fr. John O’Connor was the first parish priest.’

Read More

Holt, ACT - Kippax Uniting

Holt, ACT - Kippax Uniting

Address: Corner Hardwick & Luke Street, , Holt Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Read More

Holt, ACT - St James Anglican

Holt, ACT - St James Anglican

Address: 40 Beaurepaire Crescent, , Holt Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Read More

Holt, ACT - St John the Apostle Catholic

Holt, ACT - St John the Apostle Catholic

Address: 25 Blackham Street, , Holt Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Read More

Hughes, ACT - Baptist

Hughes, ACT - Baptist

Address: Groom Street, , Hughes Australian Capital Territory, 2605

Read More

Kaleen, ACT - All Saints Greek Orthodox

Kaleen, ACT - All Saints Greek Orthodox

Address: 1 Rubicon Street, , Kaleen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

Read More

Kambah, ACT - St Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Kambah, ACT - St Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1984

Address: 37 Boddington Cescent, , Kambah Australian Capital Territory, 2902

‘The first parish priest, Fr. William Kennedy, celebrated the first Mass in Mount Neighbour Primary School hall on 9th February 1975. From the beginning of February 1977, Mass was celebrated in the hall of the newly built parish primary school. After much saving and fundraising the decision was made to build a Church which was opened and…

Read More

Kambah, ACT, Arawang Anglican

Kambah, ACT, Arawang Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: Cnr Kent & Marconi Crescent, , Kambah Australian Capital Territory, 2902

Also known as St Stephen's Anglican. A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this Foundation stone was laid by The Rt Rev Owen Dowling Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn 8th May 1988 No One can lay any foundation other than the one already laid. Jesus Christ ( 1 Corinthians 3.11)".

Read More

Kingston, ACT - Baptist

Kingston, ACT - Baptist

Year Built: 1929

The Church was the first Baptist Church constructed in the ACT and one of the first permanent churches in the Territory. The church and manse were constructed in 1929 on one of the designated ‘Cathedral’ sites offered by the Federal Capital Commission. Sydney architect F W Peplow was commissioned to prepare plans. The contract for…

Read More

Kingston, ACT - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Kingston, ACT - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Address: Wentworth Avenue, , Kingston Australian Capital Territory, 2604

A Foundation stone reads, " Greek Orthodox Greek Memorial Church of Canberra and District, This Foundation stone was laid by Archbishop Ezekiel of Australia 30 - 10 - 1966. Another Foundation stone reads, " The Greek Orthodox War Memorial Church of St Nicholas in memory of Greek and Australian soldiers who fell heroically for Freedom".

Read More

Manuka, ACT - St Paul's Anglican

Manuka, ACT - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1938

Address: Corner Canberra Ave & Captain Cook Crescent, , Manuka Australian Capital Territory, 2603

Of Gothic design, revealing the influence of W B Griffin on his former partner, the architect J Burcham Clamp. A parishioner, W J Perry was the successful tenderer. The foundation stone was laid by The Governor-General, Lord Gowrie on 11 December 1938. Four bays of the nave were completed by July 1939 and dedicated on 6 August 1939 by…

Read More

Melba, ACT - Church of St Thomas Liberal Catholic

Melba, ACT - Church of St Thomas Liberal Catholic

Address: 18 Chinner Crescent, , Melba Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Read More

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Year Built: 1973

Address: Kingsford Smith Drive, , Melba Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Services began in March 1973 at the Melba Primary School as a joint venture with local Anglicans and Non Conformists. This association was dissolved in 1982. By 1989 the new Parish Centre was under construction and was completed the following year.*

Read More

Ngunnawal, ACT - New Life Presbyterian

Ngunnawal, ACT - New Life Presbyterian

Address: 107 Wanganeen Avenue, , Ngunnawal Australian Capital Territory, 2913

Read More

Pearce, ACT - Mary Help of Christians Catholic

Pearce, ACT - Mary Help of Christians Catholic

Address: 115 Hodgson Cresence, , Pearce Australian Capital Territory, 2607

Mary, Help of Christians Parish was founded in 1994 after the amalgamation of Sacred Heart Parish, Pearce (founded 1968) and St Augustine’s Parish, Farrer (founded 1971).

Read More

Pearce, ACT - St Georges Anglican

Pearce, ACT - St Georges Anglican

Address: 67 Pethebridge Street, , Pearce Australian Capital Territory, 2607

Read More

Reid, ACT - Korean Uniting

Reid, ACT - Korean Uniting

Address: 56 Coranderrk Street, , Reid Australian Capital Territory, 2612

The Church was opened by Rev John Wheen President General on 8 October 1927 and was the first Methodist church built in the Capital. The church, in red brick, was opened on 8/9 October, 1927, and four extensions have been added since, all in sympathetic style. The Architect appointed from Sydney was Mr JCR Mills of Concord. The…

Read More

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Memorial Lutheran

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Memorial Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 6 Boolee Street, , Reid Australian Capital Territory, 2612

St Peter's was dedicated in September 1961 and was a gift from the United Evangelical Lutheran Church as a war memorial. A plaque reads, " Behold I lay in Sion a Chief corner stone elect precious 1 Peter 2 , 6 1st Sunday after Trinity AD 1961".

Read More

Tuggeranong, ACT - Uniting

Tuggeranong, ACT - Uniting

Year Built: 1987

Address: 17 Comrie Street, , Tuggeranong Australian Capital Territory, 2903

The Church building was commenced in 1987 and came into use in April 1988.

Read More

Turner, ACT - Baptist

Turner, ACT - Baptist

Year Built: 1954

Address: 17 Condimine Street, , Turner Australian Capital Territory, 2612

The Church was the second Baptist Church established in Canberra in 1953. The first church service was held in the Turner Primary School on 3 December 1953. The current building was opened on Saturday 23 October 1954 by the Rev. Dr. F. Townley-Lord, President of the Baptist World Alliance and minister of Bloomsbury Central Church in…

Read More

Wanniassa, ACT - Baptist

Wanniassa, ACT - Baptist

Address: 23 Garratt Street, , Wanniassa Australian Capital Territory, 2903

Read More

Wanniassa, ACT - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Wanniassa, ACT - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Address: 108 Sternberg Crescent, , Wanniassa Australian Capital Territory, 2903

‘Fr. Timothy O’Donoghue was appointed as first parish priest. By September 1971 the school was open and the present presbytery was built in 1976. The church, was dedicated on the 6th July 1980.

Read More

Weston, ACT - Presbyterian