Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.
State: Victoria, Denomination: Lutheran
Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran
Year Built: 1876
Address: 203 Doveton Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350
Built in 1876 the Architect was Henry Richard Caselli.
Benalla, VIC - Lutheran
Year Built: 1987
Address: 154 Waller Street, , Benalla Victoria, 3672
The church was opened and dedicated by Reverend M. V. Jordan President of the Victorian District on 26 April 1987.
Dimboola, VIC - Lutheran
Address: Corner Ellerman Street & Horsham Road, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414
The first Lutheran's moved into the area in 1871.
Doncaster, VIC - Chinese Lutheran
Year Built: 1892
Address: 51 Victoria Street, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108
The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.
East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran
Year Built: 1852
Address: Corner Parliament & Cathedral Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002
In 1852, a site was granted for a church at 22-36 Parliament Place, East Melbourne by Governor La Trobe. The original 1853 structure was built by William Hellings to the specifications of architects Bellairs, Krsteiner & Co and was replaced in 1874 by a bluestone church, designed by Charles Blachmann, which houses an historic organ.…
Footscray, VIC - St Matthew's Lutheran
Address: 362 Barkly Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011
Frankston, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran
Address: 86 Karingal Drive, , Frankston Victoria, 3199
In the 1960s a Lutheran Church was built in Frankston. More recently the Lutheran congregation has amalgamated with the Uniting Church congregation and moved to the Uniting Church building where they share the same pastor.
Freshwater Creek, VIC - St David's Lutheran
Year Built: 1866
Address: 905 Anglesea Road, , Freshwater Creek Victoria, 3217
Designed by R.S. Tutt the church measured 40ft by 20ft in addition to a vestry and porch. Mr W. Crabb was the builder. On 2nd September 1866 the building was dedicated by Pastor Schurmann. The church and grounds have both been classified by the National Trust. A plaque on the church reads, " 1866 St David's Lutheran Church". A plaque…
Geelong, VIC - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1837
Address: 165 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220
In October 1837, the first Presbyterian service to be held in Victoria was held in Dr. Alexander Thomson's home by the Rev. James Clow. On the 2nd October 1837, a meeting was called to form a congregation in Geelong. Tenders for the church, designed by Alexander J. Skene, were approved and the foundation stone was laid on the 22nd March…
Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran
Year Built: 1978
Address: 1 Oldstead Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088
The original church was in Briar Hill from 1954 to 1969 and then Montmorency from 1970 to 1977. By the end of 1973, one acre of land had been purchased in Greensborough. Towards the end of 1974, a congregational member purchased a further 3½ acres on the corner of Diamond Creek and Oldstead Roads. A foundation stone dated 29 October…
Grovedale, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran
Year Built: 1849
Address: Torquay Road, , Grovedale Victoria, 3216
The beginnings of this church go back to 1849 when five families were brought out to Geelong by the local Geelong Mayor Dr Thomson. The first church was in Church Street. The first service was held on 24 June 1854. Grovedale was called Germantown at the time but this changed in 1915. A Manse was built in 1855. In the following years…
Kewell, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran
In 1905 the Kewell Zion Lutheran church was opened, four years after a three-roomed Lutheran school was built. The church was enlarged in 1938 and a hall was built in 1965. Both the school and the church have closed (1959, 1992).
Knoxfield, VIC - Our Saviours Lutheran
Address: 646 Burwood Highway, , Knoxfield Victoria, 3180
Established as a church in 1964.
Minyip, VIC - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1889
Address: Corner Carroll & Church Street, , Minyip Victoria, 3392
The first church services were held in 1874 in Mr A. Prices home. A wooden church was erected the following year on land donated by Mr C Petering at Kirchham. The Church was originally located at Kirchheim and erected in 1889. In 1935 the church was moved to Minyip. Made of rectangular plan timber and weatherboard with pointed lancet…
Mitcham, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran
Year Built: 1960
Address: 67 Rooks Road, , Mitcham Victoria, 3131
A Foundation stone reads, "The Glory of God 13 November 1960". The Chinese Evangelical Formosan Church share this building.
Moorabbin, VIC - St James Lutheran
Year Built: 1955
Address: 416 South Road, , Moorabbin Victoria,
The Church was dedicated on the 24th of September 1956 by Rev E Wiebusch vice President of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Church has been turned into a block of flats and retained the original church facia. A Foundation stone reads, " Eph, 2:19:22 To the Glory of God St James Lutheran Church 18-12-1955".
Mortlake, VIC - St Stephen's Lutheran (Former)
Year Built: 1867
Address: Corner Shaw & Church Streets, , Mortlake Victoria, 3272
The church was constructed by builder Bothrell and Ballarat architect JA Doane, for the incredible price of £953. Now a private residence.
Murrayville, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran
Address: 9 Murrayville - Nhill Road , , Murrayville Victoria, 3512
The Church was erected in 1923 and constructed of limestone with brick quoins. Initially the Lutherans worshipped in a local house as early as 1910 or they journeyed to the Lutheran Church in Pinnaroo.
Murtoa, VIC - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1965
Address: Corner Duncan & Degenhardt Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390
The Murtoa congregation was organized by Pastor Schoknecht in 1874, on Pentecost Monday. The first services were held in the house of Bro. E. Habel. Soon, however, the building of a church was taken in hand. "The Kirchenbote" of 1875, contains a correspondence, dated June 3, 1875, in which the dedication is reported. The church was built…
Natimuk, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran
Year Built: 1963
Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409
The parish was, from 1874 until 1904, under the spiritual care of Pastor Schoknecht. The present pastor, J. F. Noack, was installed in September, 1905. In the course of the following years the Natimuk pastor opened a preaching place at Horsham, and organized a congregation there. Pastor Schurmann held the first services here in the…
Ringwood, VIC - Good Shepard Lutheran
Address: 57 Wantirna Road, , Ringwood Victoria, 3134
Initially there were two Parishes one in Know and the other n Ringwood. However the two congregations formally became the Ringwood-Knox Parish in 2005. Further information from the Church web site here.
Ringwood, VIC - Good Sheppard Lutheran
Address: 57 Wantirna Road, , Ringwood Victoria, 3134
Shepparton, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran
Address: 54 Poplar Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630
Stawell, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran
Year Built: 1874
Address: 32 Scallon Street, , Stawell Victoria, 3380
This Church was built as the Congregational Church in 1874 to the design of the Reverend J.G. Wilson. Two groups of Congregational Church were in Stawell in the 1860's the English and the Welsh Independents. They came together a few years after, and on 13 September 1874 this substantial Church was opened. It accommodated 250 people…
Surrey Hills, VIC - Holy Cross Latvian Lutheran
Address: 40 Warrigal Road, , Surrey Hills Victoria, 3127
Thomastown, VIC - Lutheran
Year Built: 1856
Address: German Lane, , Thomastown Victoria, 3074
The Church was erected in 1856 and opened by Pastor Goethe on 17 November. It is the oldest Lutheran Church in Victoria. Constructed of blue stone the floors and ceilings are made of imported softwood. Architecturally the building is a late example of Colonial Georgian design, particularly unusual for this time and for the use of Gothic…
Wangaratta, VIC - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1953
Address: 3 Orwell Street, , Wangaratta Victoria, 3677
The beginnings of the church were under the auspices of the (ELCA) and the UELCA). The first divine service was held of the U.L.C.A. was conducted on Monday 7 August 1933 in the home of Mr and Mrs K.J. Lieschke and the service was conducted by Pastor J.T.P. Stolz. Services continued to be held in private homes and the Masonic Lodge…