Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1961 and 1970


North Parramatta, NSW - Parramatta Centenary Uniting

North Parramatta, NSW - Parramatta Centenary Uniting

Year Built: 1967

Address: 46 Sorell Street, , North Parramatta New South Wales, 2151

Read More

North Tamworth, NSW - Greek Orthodox

North Tamworth, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Upper Street, , North Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by the Right Reverend J.S. Moyes D.D. D Litt Lord Bishop of Armidale 25th November 1961".

Read More

Northgate, QLD - St John's Catholic

Northgate, QLD - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: 688 Nudgee Road , , Northgate Queensland, 4013

The Church was built in 1962, eleven years after it was proposed for construction with the adjacent St. Jon’s Convent School. This church is the only non-military place of worship that was built specifically as a Royal Australian Navy War Memorial. The design architect was Frank Leo Cullen. He was born c1909 in Brisbane and was the…

Read More

Northmead, NSW - Anglican

Northmead, NSW - Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 6 Thomas Street, , Northmead New South Wales, 2152

A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God this stone was unveiled by His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Sir Roden Cutler VC KCMO KCVO CBE on 11th October 1970 J Short, J.A. Brayley LL B, B.R.A. Wood Church Wardens Rev J.H. Wyndham ThL Curate in Charge". A further stone reads "This stone was laid by Mrs G.F. Macarthur…

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner First & Second Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The first St Petri church (which has since been demolished and replaced by the current church building) was dedicated on the 10th November, 1867. In 1877 a German pipe organ was purchased, followed by the construction and installation of a bell and bell tower in 1927. A new church replaced the first church in 1961. A building…

Read More

Orange, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Orange, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 26 Dora Street, , Orange New South Wales, 2800

A plaque reads, ' A.M.D.G. To commemorate the commencement of the building of the Church of St Barnabas as a war memorial this plaque was blessed by Kenneth, Bishop of Bathurst 15th Nov 1970 R.M. Hull Rector". A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set by Dr W.F. Matthews February 10th 1940".

Read More

Panania, NSW - Anglican

Panania, NSW - Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 6 Lambeth Street, , Panania New South Wales, 2213

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rt Rev RC Kerle BA ThL Bishop Coadjutor Of Sydney 7-10-61".

Read More

Pascoe Vale, VIC - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Pascoe Vale, VIC - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Landells Road, , Pascoe Vale Victoria, 3044

A Foundation stone reads, " Blessed Oliver Plunket Church Blessed and opened by Most Rev Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Auxiliary to His Grace Archbishop Mannix 9th July 1961 - Rev Fr T. Keogh P.P.".

Read More

Peakhurst, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Peakhurst, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 825 Forrest Road, , Peakhurst New South Wales, 2210

A Foundation plaque reads, A.M.D.G. Our Lady of Fatima Church Peakhurst This Church was solemnly blessed by His Eminence Norman Thomas Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney on 13th October 1968. Rev Joseph A. O'Shea P.P".

Read More

Penrith, NSW - Presbyterian

Penrith, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1965

Address: 9 Doonmore Street, , Penrith New South Wales, 2750

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set in place on 21st August 1965 by Rev Victor Clark Duff BA a trustee of the Presbyterian Church of NSW and a native of Penrith. Rev J.D. Penman Minister". A further foundation stone of the older church building reads, " This tablet was laid to the Glory of God by Rev V…

Read More

Plam Beach, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Plam Beach, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: 14 Eleventh Avenue, , Palm Beach Queensland, 4221

The Catholic Leader of December 31 1964 reads, " A crowd of 400 witnessed the blessing and opening of a new church dedicated to Our Lady of the Way at Palm Beach, in the Burleigh Heads parish, by Monsignor Leo Carlton, PP, Kangaroo Point. on Sunday, December 20. Monsignor Carlton delegated by His Grace the Archbishop to perform the…

Read More

Poowong, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Poowong, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Poowong Ranceby Road, , Poowong Victoria, 3988

Land around Poowong was opened up for selection in 1874. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 31 May 1962 by the right Reverend D.A. Garnsey Bishop of Gippsland. The building had been relocated parallel to the road behind the cream brick church constructed in 1967 to the design of Louis R Williams, Architect. This…

Read More

Portarlington, VIC - Uniting

Portarlington, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: Corner Newcombe & Fisher Streets, , Portarlington Victoria, 3223

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The Foundation stone of this Church was laid on 18 February 1962 by Mrs G. Brown. The Architect was Messrs G E Drinnan and Associates of Geelong.

Read More

Pyramid Hill, VIC - Tyndale Memorial Church

Pyramid Hill, VIC - Tyndale Memorial Church

Year Built: 1966

Address: 68 Victoria Street, , Pyramid Hill Victoria, 3575

On 23rd April 1886 a block of land donated by Mrs I. Watson with half acre adjoining at a cost of £5 was accepted. It was also moved that a salary of £40 per annum be guaranteed to the minister. Names of trustees were to be submitted to Presbytery for approval, and application made to have the church added to the Kerang/Durham Ox charge.…

Read More

Regent, VIC - Baptist

Regent, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1964

Address: High Street, , Regent Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 April 1964 by the Reverend T.F. Keyte General Superintendent Baptist Union of Victoria. The Architect was Keith Reid and the church was built by J Newbold.

Read More

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Memorial Lutheran

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Memorial Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 6 Boolee Street, , Reid Australian Capital Territory, 2612

St Peter's was dedicated in September 1961 and was a gift from the United Evangelical Lutheran Church as a war memorial. A plaque reads, " Behold I lay in Sion a Chief corner stone elect precious 1 Peter 2 , 6 1st Sunday after Trinity AD 1961".

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner of Ralph & Byfield Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Frank Woods M.A. D.D. on 14 November 1964.

Read More

Ringwood, VIC - Uniting

Ringwood, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: 30 - 32 Station Street, , Ringwood Victoria, 3134

There are several foundation stones installed in the church building which read. This stone was laid to the glory of God by E.W. Greenwood Esq M.L.A. 23 February 1918. This stone was laid to the glory of God by Rev E. J. Little in token of the children's part in the building of this church. To the Glory of God this stone was laid…

Read More

Riverton, SA - Uniting

Riverton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Moorhouse Terrace, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

Formerly the Pioneer Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid in May 1964.

Read More

Roma, QLD - All Saints' Catholic

Roma, QLD - All Saints' Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: Cnr Feather and McDowell Streets, , Roma Queensland, 4455

The first Catholic church was built in 1874 and cost £300. The second church was opened in 1893. The present church was opened in 1962.

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1966

Address: Bellevue Avenue, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1966. The church has now closed.

Read More

Rosebud, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Rosebud, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Point Nepean Road & Sixth Street, , Rosebud Victoria, 3939

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 March 1963 by the Archbishop of Brighton G.H. Codrington M.A. The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Caldwell. The Church was built by Richard Lumley.

Read More

Rutherglen, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Rutherglen, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 82 High Street, , Rutherglen Victoria, 3685

A Foundation stone on the church reads, " St Mary's Church consecrated by th e Most Reverend Bernard D. Stewart D.D. A.L.L.B. Bishop of Sandhurst opened for the public worship of God and the honour of the blessed Virgin by the same Bishop September 15th 1963 Rev Francis J Owens Pastor". A Latin foundation stone reads "ecclesiae s.…

Read More

Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1969

Address: Lyons Street, , Rye Victoria, 3941

Early services were held in the original hall, church and school and may have commenced as early as 1870.* Construction of the first church was commenced in 1904 and built by Mr William Joseph Croad. The first service on the current site was held in 1901. A wooden church was built in 1904 and replaced by the current one in 1969.*…

Read More

Sarina, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Sarina, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 56 Broad Street, , Sarina Queensland, 4737

The laying of the Foundation stone occurred in 1909 and the present St. Luke's Church, possibly round about shortly afterwards the dedication of the Church too place, both ceremonies being conducted by Revd Hely Wilson. Occasionally a priest came out from Mackay to celebrate Holy Communion. In 1924 the then church building was…

Read More

Seacliff Park, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Seacliff Park, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner Brighton Road & Lamington Avenue, , Seacliff Park South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 April 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1963

Address: 29 Kaurie Parade, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone on the current building was laid on 3 February 1963 by the Right Reverend J.D. Bentley B.A. The Church Hall which was the original Church building was erected in 1924. That foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1924.

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - St George Greek Orthodox

Shepparton, VIC - St George Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1965

Address: 195 Knight Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

A Foundation stone reads, " Greek orthodox Church St George corner stone laid by Archbishop Ezekiel 8 - 8 - 1965".

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - St Mell's Christ the King Catholic

Shepparton, VIC - St Mell's Christ the King Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 18 Hamilton Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 July 1970 by the most Reverend B.D. Stewart D.D.Bishop of Sandhurst.

Read More

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1966

Address: Tenth Street, , Snowtown South Australia, 5520

The first Lutheran settler in the Snowtown area was Gottlieb Ferdinand Welke who settled there in 1873. More families arrived in later years and formed the Condowie congregation. However the first Lutheran services in Snowtown were conducted in 1951 by Pastor R.F. Blaess of Balaclava under the ELCA banner. Numbers were small and…

Read More

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: Frost Street, , Snug Tasmania, 7054

In 1927 the Church was built and was dedicated in April 1927 having cost £400. In 1967 St. John's was burnt down in disasterous bush fires. In 1969 the new brick modern design was constructed in April. The church cost $28,000 and was designed by Harry Oldmeadow. It has a cross of burnt timber. The Church is now closed.

Read More

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 2 Hobart Road, , South Launceston Tasmania, 7249

Tenders were called for the erection of a new church (8 being received in all) and, upon the recommendation of the architect, that of E. Lewis and Sons (Roy and Geoff) at a figure, of £21,995 was accepted. A loan with the M. L. C. Assurance Company Ltd. was negotiated for £15,000 under the guarantee of the Diocese. A Foundation stone…

Read More

Springhurst, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Springhurst, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1964

Address: 116 Anzac Road, , Springhurst Victoria, 3682

A Foundation stone reads, "Dedicated to the Glory of God on 22.3.1964 by Rev H B Freeman MA President of Conference."

Read More

St Ives, NSW - Uniting

St Ives, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: Douglas Street, , St Ives New South Wales, 2075

Read More

St Lucia, QLD - Chinese Christian (Former Methodist)

St Lucia, QLD - Chinese Christian (Former Methodist)

Year Built: 1962

Address: 83 Ryans Road, , St Lucia Queensland, 4067

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by the President of the Conference Rev N.H. Grimmett LTh on 25th February 1962. St Lucia Methodist Church Rev J. Tainton BA BD Rev R.T. Nugent DiP DO Ministers E.J. Coulter Secretary G.H. Beer Treasurer".

Read More

St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 3 Baty Street, , St Lucia Queensland, 4067

The Church was constructed in 1962. The side walls of the church are of a concertina form, blades of brick along the line of the building with short window walls across the line of the building, the glass facing the western front. The window walls are trimmed in light coloured bricks and provide light and ventilation to the interior, as…

Read More

Stanhope, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Stanhope, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Brand Street, , Stanhope Victoria, 3623

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 July 1967 by the Bishop of Bendigo the Right Reverend R.E. Richards M.A.

Read More

Streatham, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Streatham, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 50 Campbell Street, , Streatham Victoria, 3351

An historical plaque reads in part, "The Church was opened n 1912 by Bishop Joseph Higgins D.D. Rev Michael Barrett P.P. The wooden church was used continually until the current Church was erected in 1968 by Bishop James Collins & Fr L Gallagher P.P. The Church was dedicated as a memorial to all those who gave their lives in the service…

Read More

Tangambalanga, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic

Tangambalanga, VIC - Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: Kiewa East Road, , Tangambalanga Victoria, 3691

A Foundation tone reads, " Deo Gratais Our Lady Helps of Christians Church This stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev Bernard D. Stewart DD BA LLB Bishop of Sandhurst 19th December 1962. Rev Fr M. Bowman PP".

Read More

Tanunda, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Tanunda, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Murray & Fiedler Streets, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 June 1961 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More