Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Burrumbuttock, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Burrumbuttock, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 46 Uran Road, , Burrumbuttock New South Wales, 2642

The church was opened in 1922 by the Rev Skinner. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Year Built: 1969

Address: Corner Blackburn Road & Witchwood Street, , Burwood East Victoria, 3151

The Church was dedicated on Ascension day in 1969 by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Frank Woods.

Read More

Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 339 Warrigal Road, , Burwood Victoria, 3125

A Foundation stone in part reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Hon ??? M.L.C. 19th Sept 1936 - Rev David Clarnette Minister The Church is now a Funeral Home.

Read More

Burwood, VIC - St Benedict's Catholic

Burwood, VIC - St Benedict's Catholic

Address: 301 Warrigal Road, , Burwood Victoria, 3125

Read More

Bute, SA - Uniting

Bute, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1902

Address: Corner First & Third Streets, , Bute South Australia, 5560

A Foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1902 by P Jackson Esq J.P. There is another on the corner of the building that is dated 1894. The church was opened on 16th November 1902 and replaced an earlier timber framed iron building opened on 15/11/1885. Prior to the erection of this building, Primitive Methodist services had begun about…

Read More

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Maroondah Highway, , Buxton Victoria, 3711

The Church was consecrarted on 3 May 1895 by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - Presbyterian

Byron Bay, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1969

Address: 13 Ruskin Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

A plaque read's, " This Church was opened by The Rt Rev R.L. McInnes BA State Moderator and dedicated to the Glory of God by the Presbytery of the Northern Rivers on the 16th August 1969 Minister Rev H.W.A. Wilson".

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - St Finbarr's Catholic

Byron Bay, NSW - St Finbarr's Catholic

Address: 50 Tennyson Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

The first church in Byron Bay was built in 1900 and was also used as a school in those early years. At this time, the separate parish of Mullumbimby was established in 1917, leaving Bangalow and Byron Bay as the main towns of the parish.

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Byron Bay, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 14 Kingsley Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God This Foundation stone of the Church of Saint Paul was laid by Rt Rev K.. Clements BA DD Bishop of Grafton on Tuesday May 23rd1961. Canon F.G. Alexander Rector.

Read More

Caboolture, QLD - Baptist

Caboolture, QLD - Baptist

Address: 74 Grant Road, , Caboolture Queensland, 4510

Read More

Caboolture, QLD - Church of Christ

Caboolture, QLD - Church of Christ

Address: 24 Valley Drive, , Caboolture Queensland, 4510

Read More

Caboolture, QLD - St Lawrence's Anglican

Caboolture, QLD - St Lawrence's Anglican

Address: 165 King Street, , Caboolture Queensland, 4510

Read More

Caboolture, QLD - Uniting

Caboolture, QLD - Uniting

Address: 257 King Street, , Caboolture Queensland, 4510

Read More

Caddens, NSW - Baptist

Caddens, NSW - Baptist

Address: Morello Terrace, , Caddens New South Wales, 2747

Read More

Cairns, QLD - St John's Anglican

Cairns, QLD - St John's Anglican

Address: Cnr Lake & Minnie Streets, , Cairns Queensland, 4870

Read More

Calliope, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Calliope, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Dawson Highway, , Calliope Queensland, 4680

Read More

Calliope, QLD - Union

Calliope, QLD - Union

Address: 28 Stirrat Street, , Calliope Queensland, 4680

Read More

Calwell, ACT - Sacred Heart Catholic

Calwell, ACT - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: 100 Casey Crescent, , Calwell Australian Capital Territory, 2905

This Gothic-style weatherboard church was only the second Catholic church in the ACT. Built by voluntary labour, it was opened on 29 June 1902 and formally dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father James O'Gorman from Michelago preached the first sermon. As this was part of the Sydney Diocese, Archbishop Kelly, the fourth…

Read More

Calwell, ACT - St Mary of the Valley Anglican

Calwell, ACT - St Mary of the Valley Anglican

Address: 17 Webber Crescent, , Calwell Australian Capital Territory, 2905

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Toorak & Park Roads, , Camberwell South Victoria,

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1930 by F.J. Cato Esq.

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124

The establishment of a Church in South Camberwell was mooted in July, 1916, when the Vicar of our Mother Church, St. John's, Camberwell, the Rev. A. Roscoe Wilson, suggested to the Archbishop the purchase of land in the district for that purpose. It was recorded that the erection of a Church Hall in this area, to be known as St. Mary's,…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Baptist

Camberwell, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1940

Address: 460 Riversdale Road, , Hawthorn East Victoria, 3123

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev E.C. Burleigh B.A. 9th September 1939. Architect H.E.L. Tranter Builder S Whitehead".

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Our Lady of Victories Catholic

Camberwell, VIC - Our Lady of Victories Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 548 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The church is built of Barrabool stone, from Waurn Ponds, Geelong. The most prominent external feature is the cupola – the rounded copper dome adorning the church roof. The foundation stone was laid on 25 May 1913, replacing an earlier church-school building dedicated to St John Berchman opened in 1887. The cost of the building was…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Camberwell, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: 595 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The foundation stone was laid on 7 January 1888 by James Mirams MLA and the building opened on 29 April of the same year. The architects were Loweish, Moorhouse and Figgis. The church was constructed from dark brown Hawthorn bricks in the Gothic style and cost £1,150 to erect. A memorial stone reads, " This tablet to commemorate the…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 163 Wattle Valley Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

In 1925 communications between the Reverend Walter Green then of Murrumbeena, and the Vicar elect of East Camberwell resulted in an exploritory visit to Wattle Valley Road which was duly selected as the centre of the new parish. In 1960 plans for completion of Church submitted to Vestry by architect Louis Williams. By 1966 a contract…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,

The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for £375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of £566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: Corner Marne & Skinner Streets, , Cambrai South Australia, 5353

The original church was built of stone in 1904. The separate hall was erected in 1963.

Read More

Camden, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Camden, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Address: 33 John Street, , Camden New South Wales, 2570

The Church was established in 1859 when the great Archbishop Polding was still in office as Archbishop of Sydney and the indomitable pioneer priest of the Australian Church, Father John Joseph Therry, who had certainly proclaimed the Word of God in the Camden area, was approaching the end of his days as Parish Priest of Balmain. Early…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Year Built: 1880

Address: 105 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church was built by funds left by Joseph Brickhill a successful local Businessman. His shop which used to be on High Street was built in 1859at a cost of £6,000 and was said to be the finest country store in Tasmania. Brickhill died in 1865 at the age of 65 after being attcked by his Alsatian dog. £1,400 was left in his estate to…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1858

Address: 55 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church opened for worship on 30 May 1858. The Church was sold in 2018 and is now a cafe and function venue.

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1835

Address: 70 National Highway, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

From a plaque at the front of the church reads, "John Lee Archer the Civil Engineer under Governor Arthur had the plans drawn up for this church and the foundation stone was laid in 1835. It was then discovered that part of the base had been laid down with no foundations and a new contractor was called to complete the building which was…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Michael's Catholic

Campbell Town, TAS - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Address: 4 King Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

Bishop Willson rode on horseback from Hobart to Campbell Town to lay the foundation stone of the church on June 25 1856. He was assisted by six priests, the pastor John Fitzgerald and Fathers Butler, Hogan, Bond, Dunne and Keohan. The land was secured in 1857 by Bishop Willson and was consecrated in September of that year. The…

Read More

Campbellfield, VIC - Scots Uniting

Campbellfield, VIC - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1855

Address: 1702 Sydney Road, , Camperbellfield Victoria, 3061

The stone Church was completed in 1855 and erected through the efforts of Reverend Peter Gun. It was modelled on the church at Tacher Scotland, where Peter Gun preached his first sermon. During the construction, Peter Gunn acted as a foreman of works and majority of the labour used was voluntary.

Read More

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 2 Missenden Road, , Camperdown New South Wales, 2050

The baptismal font in the Church was designed and erected by renowned Australian sculptor Tom Bass in 1959 and is one of many objects that form the parish’s history.

Read More

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 2 Missenden Road, , Camperdown New South Wales, 2050

The Church was erected and established in 1889, it remains one of the oldest and historical Churches in Sydney today.

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - Presbyterian

Camperdown, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 59 Campbell Street, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Church & Fergusson Streets, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months. The Church was built in three stages with chancel and…

Read More