The community was established by Trappist Monks around 1890. In 1884, the first ever priest arrived to serve the Catholics in the Kimberley to try and convert the Aboriginal people. Bishop Matthew Gibney founded the Beagle Bay mission, developed in the land of the Nyul Nyul people. The Pallottine fathers and brothers took charge of the…
Year Built: 1855
Address: Corner Ford & Church Streets, Beechworth, Victoria, 3747
The first Rector was The Reverend Cooper Searle and a rectory was built for him in 1855. At the time the present church hall was the first church building. The Victorian Government provided two-thirds of the building costs for the current church. The Church was erected in two stages. The foundation stone for the first stage, comprising…
Address: Corner Ford & Williams Streets, Beechworth, Victoria, 3747
St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857. It was designed by local architect Thomas Turnbull and built by Smith, Bank and Cranston. The building comprises an unusual…
Year Built: 1860
Address: 67 Arundel Street, Benalla, Victoria, 3672
The earliest church services for Church of England (Anglicans) in Benalla was recorded in 1849 when Bishop Perry of Melbourne visited the settlement. The service was performed in the original court house. By 1854 an allotment of land at the corner of Bridge, Thomas and Martin Place had been set aside for a church, school and hall.* The…
Year Built: 1908
Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, Benalla, Victoria, 3672
The Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907. The Pastor was In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building with many parts being replaced. This included the pressed steel roof.
Address: Corner Church & Carrier Streets, Benalla, Victoria, 3672
Formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John W. Rowse President of the Victorian and Tasmanian Conference on 26 March 1930. The architect was A.S. Eggleston and the builder was R. Mould.
Address: 19 McKenzie Street, Bendigo, Victoria, 3550
St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were preparred for the demolition of the church and the…
Year Built: 1873
Address: Myer's Street, Bendigo, Victoria, 3550
The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…
Year Built: 1928
Address: 531 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204
The Foundation stone was laid on 23 June 1928.
Year Built: 1956
Address: 125 High Street, Melbourne, Berwick Victoria, 3806
St. Michael's Parish was established in 1956, having previously been part of the parish of Dandenong. In 1956 it became part of the Diocese of Sale. The current Church was opened on 29 April 1984 and was blessed by the Bishop of Sale Eric D'Arcy.
Year Built: 1883
Address: Bethany Road, Bethany, South Australia, 5352
The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…