Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Denomination: Presbyterian


Maldon, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Maldon, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: 1 Church Street, , Maldon Victoria, 3463

Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was sold in 2014 to raise funds for the church. The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs Margaret Oswald on 8 November 1905. The laying of the foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church was performed in the presence of a large assemblage . . . despite the fact that the thermometer registered nearly…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 161 Wattle Tree Road, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1905 by Charles Du Plan Lloyd.

Read More

Mardan, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian Ecumenical

Mardan, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian Ecumenical

Year Built: 1911

Address: Mardan Road South, , Mardan Victoria, 3953

The first church was erected in 1890. Today's church was built in 1911 by George Gardner. Its of Victorian Carpenter Gothic Church style with a gable roof and a small projecting porch with side doors at the west and an off centre gabled vestry with a chimney at the rear. It has lancet windows in the nave and notable stepped half height…

Read More

Millicent, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Millicent, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 2 Sixth Street, , Millicent South Australia, 5280

Early services were conducted by Rev Cadwell who rode or drove from Mt Gambier. A meeting was held in the home of the late Mr A Campbell on January 8 1878 when the gathering was presided over by Rev Cadwell. During this year it was decided to purchase land on which to build a Presbyterian Church and Messrs John McArthur, Samuel Stuckey…

Read More

Moe, VIC - Presbyterian

Moe, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: Fowler Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

Read More

Mole Creek, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Mole Creek, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 49 Caveside Road, , Mole Creek Tasmania, 7304

The Church was consecrated on the 12th of September 1932 and celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 1972.

Read More

Montrose, TAS - Presbyterian

Montrose, TAS - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Islington & Walker Streets, , Montrose Tasmania, 7010

Read More

Morwell, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Morwell, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: Church Street, , Morwell Victoria, 3840

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Mt Barker, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: Hutchison Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

Read More

Mt Evelyn, VIC - Presbyterian

Mt Evelyn, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 30 Birmingham Road, , Mt Evelyn Victoria, 3796

Read More

Nagambie, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Nagambie, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1900

Address: Corner of Prentice & Glass Streets, , Nagambie Victoria, 3608

The Foundation stone was laid by Cr John Gordon J.P. on 14 March 1900. The Architect was Evander Mc Iver C.E. and the builder was William Sinclair.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Naracoorte, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The original church was built in 1858 and later became the Sunday School hall. The land was donated by Mr William McIntosh as was the church bell. The current church was erected in 1874 1875 at a cost of 3,000. The slate roof on the spire was replaced with aluminium in 1953 and again in 1990. Built in solid limestone structure of…

Read More

Narrandera, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Narrandera, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: Corner Elwin & Charles Streets, , Narrandera New South Wales, 2700

Read More

Nhill, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Nhill, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: Macpherson Street, , Nhill Victoria, 3418

In the Wimmera the first know church service was held at the Nhill Station Homestead by Reverend James Clow in 1848. The first service was held on 12 July 1889. The land for the present church was purchased in the same year for 100. The present building was erected in 1889, opened on July 12 and cost 468.00. It was built by Mr H Gunn.…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

North Adelaide, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 92 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Read More

North Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

North Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1900

Address: Coleman Street, , North Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

The Church Foundation stone was laid most likely on 9 December 1900 as the Centenary took place on that date in 2,000.

Read More

Numerkah, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Numerkah, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 56 Saxon Street, , Numerkah Victoria, 3636

On January 1 1882, at the Presbytery meeting in Seymour the Home Mission Committee agreed to grant £1.00 per week for thirteen weeks to a Mr Marshall to preach. During July of 1883 Rev W Thomson being Moderator of Numerkah asked that a call be made for a Minister for the chargedeclaring that the people were prepared to give a stipend of…

Read More

Oakey, QLD - Scots Presbyterian

Oakey, QLD - Scots Presbyterian

Address: Bell Street, , Oakey Queensland, 4401

Read More

Penola, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Penola, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1870

Address: 31 Arthur Street, , Penola South Australia, 5277

Mr John McInnes an accredited Gaelic Missionary of the free church of Scotland upon emigrating to Victoria made his headquarters in Camperdown and that extended eventually to Penola. He conducted church services in the local Courthouse. The first church was erected in 1856 on a site in Bowden Street almost opposite Ulva cottage, the…

Read More

Petersham, NSW - Korean Canaan Presbyterian

Petersham, NSW - Korean Canaan Presbyterian

Year Built: 1904

Address: 2 Gordon Street, , Petersham New South Wales, 2049

The foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1904 by Mrs Robert Miller of Rathlin.

Read More

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Address: Corner Morrisset & Lowe Streets, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Reservoir, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Edwardes & Compton Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

In 1919 the land was purchased and three trustees were appointed. By the middle of 1922 a loan of £200 had been approved and by November work commenced on a weatherboard church in Ashley Street. The Builders were Messrs Mathieson, Fyfe, Irwin along with many volunteers. In 1958 a building fund was established for a new church.

Read More

Rochester, VIC - Presbyterian

Rochester, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: 2 Jeffrey Street, , Rochester Victoria, 3561

In 1873 the first services were conducted in Rochester in a building near the old cemetery in Rochester east. 12 months later a brick church was constructed in Gillies Street. (Live and Prosper in Rochester, Rochester 1954) The church in Gillies Street was a regular meeting place for 37 years when a new and larger church…

Read More

Rose Bay, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Rose Bay, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1913

Address: 26 Dover Road, , Rose Bay New South Wales, 2029

The first Church was erected in 1834 and sold in 1910. The last service was held on 5 November 1911 and the building was demolished soon after. A new block was purchased in Ian Street but was later discarded as un suitable and sold. Plans for the new church were submitted and approved in November 1912 and the current Church was…

Read More

Rushworth, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Rushworth, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: Moora Road, , Rushworth Victoria, 3612

Read More

Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1969

Address: Lyons Street, , Rye Victoria, 3941

Early services were held in the original hall, church and school and may have commenced as early as 1870.* Construction of the first church was commenced in 1904 and built by Mr William Joseph Croad. The first service on the current site was held in 1901. A wooden church was built in 1904 and replaced by the current one in 1969.*…

Read More

Scottsdale, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Scottsdale, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 35 George Street, , Scottsdale Tasmania, 7260

Read More

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1963

Address: 29 Kaurie Parade, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone on the current building was laid on 3 February 1963 by the Right Reverend J.D. Bentley B.A. The Church Hall which was the original Church building was erected in 1924. That foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1924.

Read More

Seymour, VIC - Presbyterian

Seymour, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Anzac Avenue & Guild Street, , Seymour Victoria, 3661

The first Presbyterian church in Seymour was built on Manse Hill in 1870 and was built by J Lyster.

Read More

Shelford, VIC - Presbyterian

Shelford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1859

Address: Mercer Street, , Shelford Victoria, 3329

Initial services were provided to Shelford from the Geelong circuit of the Primitive Methodists. In September 1865 tenders were called for the construction of a Primitive Methodist church. It appears that the tender was not proceeded with, as tenders were again called on the 15th September 1869. Tenders for a stone church were to be…

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - Presbyterian

Shepparton, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Hayes & Leithen Streets, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

No information currently available on early history. The current church was opened and dedicated on the 13 February 1979. For the modern history go to the church web site here.

Read More

Somerville, VIC - Presbyterian

Somerville, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 239 Jones Road, , Somerville Victoria, 3912

Read More

Sorrento, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Sorrento, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1888

Address: Kerferd Avenue, , Sorrento Victoria, 3943

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 October 1888 by Hon J Balfour M.L.C. The original section of the church was first built in 1888 and is said to be the current transept, which is the parapet walled section nearest the street and a limestone porch was added in the following year. The current nave, the east wing attached to the hall,…

Read More

South Yarra, VIC Presbyterian

South Yarra, VIC Presbyterian

Address: 621 Punt Road, , South Yarra Victoria, 3141

The Church was established on this site in 1854. The foundation stone was laid on 14 November 1865. The Architect was Lloyd Tayler. Opening services took place on 28 December 1866.2 The building was constructed from bluestone. Opening services took place on 28 December 1866. The building was constructed from bluestone. A further…

Read More

Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian

Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian

Year Built: 1855

Address: 3 Fletcher Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

The Church sits on land granted by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The building was bought in London in 1855 the first pre fabricated church to be brought to Tasmania and transported to Stanley at a total cost of £400. On anniversary days the church would overflow while the hall next door was frequently booked for wedding breakfasts and…

Read More

Sunshine, VIC - Presbyterian

Sunshine, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1926

Address: 120 Anderson Road, , Sunshine Victoria, 3020

Of traditional English design a foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by H.V. McKay Esq GBL FRGS 15th May 1926. ?? Robinson Architect".

Read More

Surrey Hills, VIC - St Stephens Presbyterian

Surrey Hills, VIC - St Stephens Presbyterian

Address: Corner Canterbury & Warrigal Roads, , Surrey Hills Victoria, 3127

The first divine worship at Surrey Hills 6 February 1887 took place in a Recreation Hall in Windsor Crescent. These services continued until a wooden church was built in Boundary Road (now Warrigal Road) and opened for use in March 1889.* The Church was re named St Stephens in 1947 at a naming of the Church ceremony.* Tenders for a…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Sydney, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1824

Address: 44 Margaret Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

The Church was founded in the 1820's by the Reverend John Dunmore Lang and is the oldest Presbyterian Church in Australia. The foundation stone for the original church was laid by Governor Brisbane on 1st July 1824. A stone church, with a plain tower, seating 1000 people, was opened on 16th July 1826. The actual cost was 3000 and it…

Read More

Tarcutta, NSW - St Columbus Presbyterian

Tarcutta, NSW - St Columbus Presbyterian

Year Built: 1932

Address: Argent Street, Tarcutta, New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 February 1932 by Mrs S.S. Whitehead.

Read More

Tarrana, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Tarrana, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 11 South Street, , Tarrana Tasmania, 7180

The Church was built in the early 1880's using funds donated by James MacLanachan. The church was first located in Tunbridge and transported to Tarrana in 1972. The land was donated by Mrs Ioleath Tatnell. The Church was last used in 2004 due to poor attendances. Purchased in 2009 by Laurie Tattnell as a Heritage Museum.

Read More