Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Roman Catholic


Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: Cnr Scarborough & Hastings Streets, , Woolgoolga New South Wales, 2456

The Parish of Coffs Harbour, Diocese of Lismore, was formed on December 9, 1906. The original parish embraced a stretch of country skirting the coast including the townships of Coffs Harbour and Woolgoolga, as well as the districts of Moonee and Corindi. In early 1968 the erection of a new Catholic Church for the people of Woolgoolga…

Read More

Woolloongabba, QLD - Ukranian Catholic

Woolloongabba, QLD - Ukranian Catholic

This Foundation stone of the Church of our Lady of Protection the first Ukrainian Catholic Church, in Queensland was blessed and laid by the Most Reverend Maksym AAM KC CyS RDD Metropolitan of Ukrainian rite in Canada on his first visit to Australia, 2nd February, 1958 Pius X11 James Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane Stefan Maslo CSSR Pastor”.…

Read More

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 69 Chalk Street, , Wooloowin Queensland, 4030

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 June 1968 by the Most Reverend P.M. O'Donnell Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Wowan, QLD - St Anne's Catholic

Wowan, QLD - St Anne's Catholic

Address: Don Street, , Wowan Queensland, 4702

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 45 Webster Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

The first Church built at Mount Wycheproof was the Roman Catholic church, it was opened with great celebration on Easter Monday April 2nd 1877. The Catholic school attached to the current Church was opened in 1954. A Foundation stone reads, "Blessed by Most Rev J.P. O'Collins Bishop of Ballarat 19 Nov 1967. Men of Parish G.A. Egan…

Read More

Wynnum, QLD - Guardian Angels Catholic

Wynnum, QLD - Guardian Angels Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: 198 Bay Terrace, , Wynnum Queensland, 4178

The church site was a gift to the parish from His Grace, the late Archbishop, Dr Dunne, who purchased the site at a cost of £420. In April, 1905, the Church was officially opened, taking but a year to bring their work to a successful conclusion. The architect responsible was the late Mr. Galley, and Mr. J. Little was the builder. New…

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Wynyard, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 37 Goldie Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

The church is in the Romanesque style and it replaced an older church which was built in 1876. A Foundation stone reads, "This first stone of this Church erected to the honour and glory of God was laid by his grace Most Rev Dr Delany Archbishop of Hobart, May 28th 1911 Ded Graius".

Read More

Wyong, NSW - St Cecilia's Catholic

Wyong, NSW - St Cecilia's Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Wyong New South Wales, 2259

The original intention was to build a church on Alison Road in Wyong close to the Old Court House however in 1904 a local resident by the name of Albert Warner purchased the land where the church is today. He donated the land to the church. The Church cost £861 to erect. The foundation stone says it was laid by Cardinal Moran on 6…

Read More

Yamba, NSW - St James Catholic

Yamba, NSW - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1975

Address: 34 Yamba Street, , Yamba New South Wales, 2464

A stone plaque reads, "St James Church solemnly blessed by The Most Rev John Satterthwaite Bishop of Lismore 3rd December 1975".

Read More

Yanco, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Yanco, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: Main Street, , Yanco New South Wales, 2703

The first services were held in 1911 and were carried out in the workshop at North Yanko Station, which is where part of Yanco Agricultural High School is situated, and Mr Wade's house. In later years, masses were held at Yanco Hall also known at the time as the School of Arts. Bishop Dwyer of Wagga Wagga consecrated the current St…

Read More

Yangan, QLD - Our Lady of good counsel Catholic

Yangan, QLD - Our Lady of good counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: King Street, , Yangan Queensland, 4371

The Church was opened on 4 December 1955.

Read More

Yarra Glen, VIC - St Aloysius Catholic

Yarra Glen, VIC - St Aloysius Catholic

Address: Sayle Street, , Yarra Glen Victoria, 3775

Planning for a Church to be erected in Yarra Glen began about 1888 and Mr Charles Fletcher won the tender to erect a timber and iron building. The Archbishop of Melbourne, Reverend Dr Carr made a special visit to formally open the building on Sunday 19 July 1890. From October 1889 Yarra Glen was served by a parish priest based at…

Read More

Yarragon, VIC - St Jarlath Catholic

Yarragon, VIC - St Jarlath Catholic

Address: Rollo Street, , Yarragon Victoria, 3823

The Church is of Gothic design, and was built in 1899. Previously Mass was celebrated in a small rented building. The blessing was performed by Fr. Coleman and Mass celebrated by Fr. Coyne. Winter's 'Mass in G' was sung by the choir and Fr. Maher of the Vincentians preached. The church was designed by Leonard Flannagan of Melbourne. The…

Read More

Yarram, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Yarram, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: 5 Buckley Street, , Yarram Victoria, 3971

The Church was built at the request of Bishop Phelan who laid the foundation stone 10th October 1915. He also opened and blessed the completed buildings which had cost in the vicinity of £4000 but, with donations and proceeds of St. Patrick's Day Sports, by September 1917 the debt had been reduced to £1550. A Foundation stone reads, "…

Read More

Yarraville, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Yarraville, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 71 Somerville Road, , Yarraville Victoria, 3013

The Church is in Romanesque style and was commenced in November 1923. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid June 1st 1924 and the Church was blessed and opened Feb 1st 1925. His Grace the Most Rev Daniel Mannix D.D. L.L.D. Archbishop of Melbourne Rev T English P.P.".

Read More

Yarrawonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Yarrawonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: 8 Murphy Street, , Yarrawonga Victoria, 3730

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Most Rev S. Reville D.D. O.S.A. Bishop of Sandhurst April 30th 1905. Pastor The Rev E Madden Architects Kempson & Conolly Contractors Farnsworth and Son".

Read More

Yass, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Yass, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Address: 105 Meehan Street, , Yass New South Wales, 2582

Read More

Yea, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Yea, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: The Parade, , Yea Victoria, 3717

The church was built beteen 1899 and 1910 during Reverend Patrick O'Reilly's time. The church was blessed by the Second Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend T.J. Carr D.D. on 26 October 1902.

Read More

Yelarbon, NSW - St Theresa's Catholic

Yelarbon, NSW - St Theresa's Catholic

Address: 52 Burrel Street, , Yelarbon Queensland, 4388

Read More

Yeoval, NSW - War Memorial Church of Our Lady Catholic

Yeoval, NSW - War Memorial Church of Our Lady Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 41 Forbes Street, , Yeoval New South Wales, 2868

A Foundation stone reads, " War Memorial Church of Our Lady solemnly blessed and opened by The Bishop of Bathurst Most Rev A.R.E. Thomas D.D. 22nd June 1974. Fr D.T. Corcoran Pastor".

Read More

Yeppoon, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Yeppoon, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 7 Tabor Drive, , Yeppoon Queensland, 4703

Read More

Yinnar, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Yinnar, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1903

Address: 74 Main Street, , Yinnar Victoria, 3869

The land the Church was built on was owned by Henry Wicks who sold it to Mr John Quigley for £10. The land was then donated to the parish of Morwell for the purpose of building a Church. The church was constructed for the princely sum of £430. The Church was blessed and opened on Sunday 26th April 1903. The staned glass window above the…

Read More

Yokine, WA - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Yokine, WA - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Address: 265 Flinders Street, , Yokine Western Australia, 6060

Read More

Young, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Young, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: Cambell Street, , Young New South Wales, 2594

In late 1860 to early 1861 a working bee of Catholic diggers erected a temporary wooden church with bark roof which was known as The Bark Chapel. By 1874 a new building was commenced and was blessed in 1876 by Bishop Lanigan. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 26 May 1907, and was blessed Rev. Dr. Gallagher. The…

Read More

Zillmere, QLD - St Flannan's Catholic

Zillmere, QLD - St Flannan's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 194 Handford Road, , Zillmere Queensland, 4034

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 February 1954 by the Most Reverend James Duhig D.D. and he also dedicated the building on 28 November 1954.

Read More