Address: Corner Ford & Williams Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747
St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857. It was designed by local architect Thomas Turnbull and built by Smith, Bank and Cranston. The building comprises an…
Year Built: 1869
Address: 125 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550
Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The present brick church in Bega was opened in 1924. The foundation stone was laid on July 8th. At the ceremony were Mrs. Boardman and Mrs. Rogers who were present at the laying of the foundation stone of the original church in 1868. Mrs. Emma Rogers, wife of one of the original trustees, laid the…
Address: Thomson Street, , Belmont Victoria, 3216
The first Methodist Church service in Belmont was held in the home of Mr. Caldwell in the ealy 1880's. By the 3rd of May 1891 first service was held in the new church built in High Street – south of Mt. Pleasant Road. For further history visit the church website here.
Address: Corner Church & Carrier Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672
Formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John W. Rowse President of the Victorian and Tasmanian Conference on 26 March 1930. The architect was A.S. Eggleston and the builder was R. Mould.
Year Built: 1930
Address: 26 Myers St, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne. A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration.
Year Built: 1954
Address: Foxhow Road, , Berrybank Victoria, 3323
The former church was destroyed by fire on 14 January 1944. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 21 April 1954 by William M Clark. The Architect was Keith Reid while the builder was A McHolson.
Year Built: 1960
Address: Corner The Avenue & Blackburn Road, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130
The first Presbyterian Church was erected in 1926. In the 1950's there was already a small brick Presbyterian Church , but with post war expansion this proved inadequate. The worshipping community worked hard to give expression to an expanded vision for the area and the "new" Presbyterian church. The foundation stone of the current…
Address: 10 Macquarie Street, , Boonah Queensland, 4310
When Union occurred the Uniting Church occupied the old Methodist Church at 9 Church Street until the new Uniting church was built in 1989. The Boonah Uniting Church is now named Fassifern Uniting as it is the only UCA church in the Fassifern Region.
Year Built: 1869
Address: Farm Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586
Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The Church was given the name "The Little Brick Church" when the Wesleyan Church was built in in 1869. The church was built by James Preston at a cost of £320 with an extra £10 for plastering.
Year Built: 1830
Address: 10 Market Place, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030
The Church was opened in 1830 and was built by the Colonial Government for joint use by the Anglican and Presbyterian congregations. Lt Govt Arthur directed the architect John Lee Archer to change the rounded windows which he considered un Christian . Daniel Herbert a convict sculpture who carved the Ross Bridge heads reputedly carved the…
Year Built: 1867
Address: Corner Whitehorse Road & Bruce Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128
The first Presbyterian Church Service was held on 6 February 1867 by the Rev W Rolland. By 1887 a Theological student by the name of Alex Walker was engaged to run services at both Box Hill and Surrey Hills. The original site for the first church was Court Street and a wooden building was opened in July 1889. A larger weatherboard…
Year Built: 1925
Address: Corner Oxford & Station Streets, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128
The first Wesleyan Methodist service was held in the Box Hill centre in the Barkly Hall, on 13th May 1883. Tenders were called for what is now known as Oxford Hall (formerly known as the The Methodist Church in Station Street and later The Station Street Church ) on 17th November 1885, and the foundation stone was laid on 11th February…
Address: Ireland Street, , Bright Victoria, 3741
The first Church was built of wood with a shingle roof situated behind the present day Outdoor and Disposals. The Church current was built in 1884 and a foundation stone was laid on 10 March by Mrs Worth. Minsters for Bright were stationed in Wandilligong until 1877 then Bright from 1918.
Year Built: 1864
Address: 442 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048
Built as a Methodist Church, the foundation stone was laid on the 1st of May, 1864. It was the for runner of the first church built in Sturt Road in 1847. The first members of the church met in private homes on Sturt Road. As a rural community the first service was held in the 1840's in a dugout with an upturned boat serving as a roof.…
Address: Corner New Street & Wolseley Grove, , Brighton Victoria, 3186
The Wolseley Grove site was purchased for £300. Towards this amount the people contributed £130. and the Church and Manse Loan Fund promised a loan of £200. The first intention was to build a wooden structure and Church hall at a cost of £350. The architect appointed by the meeting advised that little extra cost would be involved in…
Year Built: 1875
Address: 17 Black Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186
In 1853 a Church, the Independents (later Congregational Church) began services in a tent measuring 10ft x 12ft which they erected in Carpenter street. Their Minister was the Reverend Henry Kidgell recently arrived from England. In April that year it was resolved to erect a small wooden chapel on a quarter acre block of land in Male…
Year Built: 1957
Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658
Originally a Methodist church, the Broadford Uniting Church is located next to the Library. Construction of the current building commenced in November of 1956, and the Foundation stone was laid by the President of the Conference, the Rev. Norman Lade MA, BD on 16 February 1957. The dedication of the church took place in September 1957.