Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Organ Manufacturer: J.E. Dodd


Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - Uniting

Benalla, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Church & Carrier Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

Formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John W. Rowse President of the Victorian and Tasmanian Conference on 26 March 1930. The architect was A.S. Eggleston and the builder was R. Mould.

Read More

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: Bethany Road, , Bethany South Australia, 5352

The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Coogee, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: Corner Brook & Waltham Streets, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

The Church was opened in 1922 and consecrated by the then Archbishop of Sydney, the Rev. J. Kelly. With the Church being completed Fr. Gilbert commenced on the school project, the main portion being completed in 1923, followed by the new presbytery in 1924. During this period the statue of St. Brigid on the north-west exterior corner of…

Read More

Glen Innes, NSW - Cameron Memorial Uniting

Glen Innes, NSW - Cameron Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1920

Address: 70 Macquarie Street, , Glen Innes New South Wales, 2370

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The current Church was dedicated on 8 December 1920 by the Moderator General, Rev. James Gibson, to be known as the Cameron Memorial Church as a monument to the late Rev. Archibald Cameron. A Foundation stone in part reads, " The Cameron Memorial Church erected to the Glory of God and as a tribute to the…

Read More

Harden, NSW - Ross Memorial Uniting

Harden, NSW - Ross Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: Derby Street, , Harden New South Wales, 2587

Formerly a Presbyterian church it was erected by Mr and Mrs William E. Ross as a gift and in memory of their parent. The Church was opened on 15 December 1915 by the Right Reverend R. Scott West State Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Australia.

Read More

Kadina, SA - Wesley Uniting

Kadina, SA - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Taylor Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid on 14 May 1961 by Reverend A.R. Medson Ex President of the Conference". This church building opened in 1978.

Read More

Kent Town, SA - Wesley Uniting

Kent Town, SA - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1850

Address: 27 Grenfell Street, , Kent Town South Australia, 5067

The suburb of Kent Town was named after Dr B A Kent who was the first resident of the area. A large number of Wesleyans lived in the newly developed suburb. As early as 1850 they held services in a cottage occupied by Mr Henry Broad on the corner of Beulah Road and Fullarton Road. The Wesleyans recognized the need for a church and when…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Pilgrim Uniting

Launceston, TAS - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1866

Address: 34 Paterson Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Built in the Gothic style the church is made from polychrome brick with stucco dressings and was designed by the notable firm of Melbourne architects Crouch & Wilson and based upon St Peter's Church, Woolwich in the UK. Opened 21 February 1868, after the congregation outgrew the original Wesleyan Chapel next door, which is now the…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1973

Address: Corner Church & Oak Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The first Church was opened in 1915. Its foundation stone was laid in 1913 and was constructed of sun dired mud bricks. The Foundation stone of the next Church was laid on 3 March 1973 by the Right Reverend B.R. Hunter Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - Christ the King Anglican

Mt Barker, SA - Christ the King Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Hutchison Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The foundation stone was laid on 5 January 1865 and the naive first used for worship later that year.The Church was dedicated in 1865 by Bishop Short. The chancel and sanctuary were added in 1886. In 1897 The Barr Smiths gave the organ to the Church. The stained glass windows were built in memory of the Barr Smiths. The Parish Hall was…

Read More

Stawell, VIC - St Matthew's Uniting

Stawell, VIC - St Matthew's Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: 13 Scallan Street, , Stawell Victoria, 3380

A site for the first church was secured for the first Church in what became and still is Church Street, and Henry Henderson No. 2 submitted designs to the committee for the Church. The dimensions of the building were 28-feet x 44-feet, with galvanised iron sides and a shingle roof, and it was capped off with a belfrey. The current…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - Langmeil Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - Langmeil Lutheran

Year Built: 1888

Address: 7 Maria Street, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

Langmeil Thanksgiving Congregation is one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in the country. Early services were held in the private homes of members and the congregation dedicated its first church on 26th December 1846. It was demolished in 1888. Named after a village in Germany, Langmeil was settled by a group of German emigrants…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 11 Jane Place, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

Due to a rift in Pastor Kavel's congregation, fifty-four members of the Langmeil Church formed their own congregation in 1860. They later bought and renovated a store which became Church and later manse. Present Church dedicated 1868. Bells donated in 1887, the larger of which is still rung at sun down on Saturday evening. Also of…

Read More

Victor Harbor, SA - St Joan of Arc Catholic

Victor Harbor, SA - St Joan of Arc Catholic

Address: 32 Seaview Road, , Victor Harbor South Australia, 5211

On 20th Feb. 1920 the Southern Cross reported that " matters were now so far advanced that Fr. Gurry has arranged for the laying of the foundation stone on Sunday March 7th at 3 p.m. by his Grace the Archbishop. The Southern Cross newspaper described the great day. "The laying of the foundation stone of the new Catholic Church of St.…

Read More