Denomination: Roman Catholic
Year Built: 1885
Address: Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2853
The Church was built in 1885 at a cost of £2250. The design is Flemish bonding on red brickwork. It replaced an earlier Catholic Church which was built during the town's first goldrush.
Year Built: 1885
Address: 121 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722
The original church was built in 1885. Opened in 1885, the church is of neo-gothic style. The architect EC Manfred studied under Edmund Blackett who also designed the Church of England in Tumut, and the St Andrew’s Cathedral, George Street Sydney.
Year Built: 1973
Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581
The first church was erected on this site in 1859. The current church was erected in 1973. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1973 by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill.
Address: 24 College Street, , Hamilton Queensland, 4007
The property on which the church stands was purchased by the Catholic Church in January 1913 at a cost of £1450. The church was designed by notable architect Thomas Ramsay Hall and is a fine example of the Federation Carpenter Gothic style of architecture. A brick addition to the church porch was constructed in 1956.
Address: 23 Dinwoodie Street, , Hamilton Victoria, 3300
In the early days Hamilton was part of the Portland Parish and hence Ministers came from there. The first Mass was held on 22 May 1848 by Father Kavanagh. The first part of the Church to be opened was conducted on 12 August 1866. The work commenced by Father Kavanagh was completed by the laying of a memorial stone on 30 May 1900 by…
Address: 40 Ludstone Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188
Year Built: 1925
Address: 59 Holyrood Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188
In 1924 the Sandringham parish priest, Father Mangan, bought land for this purpose at a cost of £2,000. The land Father Mangan had to purchase was part of the Margarita Estate, approximately 20 acres of land stretching from South Road to Holyrood Street. Dr Henry Backhaus, a priest who had moved to the area from Bendigo upon his…
Year Built: 1848
Address: Old Great Western Highway, , Hartley New South Wales, 2790
A historical plate reads, Completed in c1848, the Church was funded by popular subscription, led by two prominent Irish families of the Hartley district: the Finns and the Grants. Designed and built by Alexander Binning, the church is made from sandstone sourced from a quarry at South Bowenfels, near Lithgow. Prior to the construction…
Year Built: 1869
Address: 345 Burwood Road, , Hawthorn Victoria,
The first section was built in 1867-69 and the chancel choir and tower were built in 1891, followed by further additions in 1913, 1921, and 1961. The spatially complex interior includes three Eastern apses of equal height and incorporates stained glass by Ferguson, Urie & Lyon; Mayer, Montgomery and Brooks Robinson. Constructed in…
Year Built: 1899
Address: Corner High & Ryrie Streets, , Healesville Victoria, 3777
November 1899 saw the first new parish mission established in Healesville by Reverend Patrick Gleeson who had arrived in Melbourne from Ireland on September 9. He had already served at West Melbourne, Mansfield, Castlemaine and St Kilda East before arriving in Healesville. At the turn of the 20th century St Bridget's Hall on the corner…
Year Built: 1909
Address: Corner Cape & Yarra Streets, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084
The Church was designed by William W Wardell and commenced in 1860 under the supervision of J B Denny. It was completed in 1909 largely to Wardell's design, under Kempson and Conolly. The Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1909 by the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne.
Address: Gunn Street, , Helidon Queensland, 4344
The local Hotel owner Mr Daniel Lynch donated the land where the church is located. Initially known as St Andrews St Josephs was opened in December 1866. In mid 1874 the Sisters of St Joseph came to Helidon and a convent was established in 1884. A cyclonic hail storm hit Helidon in 1914 completely demolishing the Church and causing a…
Address: 9 Bowman Street, , Hendra Queensland, 4011
The Church began with the purchase of an old rambling residence belonging to the Bowman family on 3 acres of land which became the temporary church. The Parish was established in 1928 by Fr Joseph V. Troy and the first Mass was held in the old house/church on 9 June 1929. The foundation stone of the current Our Lady Help of Christians…
Year Built: 1916
Address: George Street, , Heyfield Victoria, 3859
The first Church was opened in 1889. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This memorial stone of St Michael's Church was blessed by The Most Revd Patrick Phelan D.D. Bishop of Sale August 20th 1916".
Year Built: 1969
Address: 10 Spring Road, , Highett Victoria, 3190
A Plaque on the church wall reads, "This Church dedicated to S. Agnes V.M. was blessed and opened on Wednesday 10 September 1969 by Archbishop J Knox D.D. Parish Priest Fr G. Quilter. The Church was built as a Peace Memorial for those who died Defending their country R.I.P. This stone commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the Parish 13…
Year Built: 1841
Address: 165 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000
A sandstone church built in Gothic style. Has a Nave with featured stonework to arched openings and pilasters to side walls. The church was built in 1841 and opened by Father Therry on Christmas morning 1841. It was designed by James Thomson, a former convict with convict labour employed to carry out the work. The tower is 60 feet…
Year Built: 1898
Address: 180 Harrington Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000
St Mary’s Cathedral was the vision of the first Bishop of Hobart Town, Robert William Willson. Bishop Willson chose the design and spent years raising the funds. Designed by William Wardell, one of Australia’s greatest nineteenth-century architects, it was completed except for its steeple between 1876 and 1898 to a modified design by…
Address: The Esplanade, , Hopetoun Western Australia , 6348
Year Built: 1987
Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400
The first Mass to be held in Horsham was in 1857 by visiting Priest Fr. Patrick Madden. The first church was opened by Bishop O'Connor on 12 November 1876, a wooden building facing west to McPherson Street.* The first Catholic church seems to have been built in record time following its establishment as a parish when separated from…
Address: 16 Mowbray Street, , Hughenden Queensland,
Residents first celebrated Mass in the little old school that was situated where the main road now runs at the inter-section of Grey Street and Mowbray Street. Father Mouton came in 1887 and celebrated Mass for the first years in the old Court-house every Sunday that he was in town. A little organ, the property of the Town Council, was…
Year Built: 1885
Address: Croydon Road, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220
On 18 December, 1850, Michael Gannon purchased 1905 acres from the estate of Captain John Townson whose grant of crown land took in the whole of the present suburbs of Hurstville and Carlton reaching almost to Kogarah Bay. Michael Gannon then transferred ownership of two acres to the Most Reverend John Bede Polding on 24 November, 1855…
Year Built: 1962
Address: 46 George Street, , Inglewood Queensland, 4387
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and placed by the Most Reverend William Brennan D.D. Bishop of Toowoomba on the 31st day of May 1962. Rev S.C. Kattie P.P.".
Address: 81 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360
The Freeman's Journal of Sat Jan 6th 1872 describes the then opening of church at the time in the following terms, " Certainly it was due to the great kindness of the Right Rev. Or. O'Malley, who came at considerable inconvenience to open our new church, that an earlier public recognition should have been made of his Lordship's zeal…
Address: 71 - 79 High Street, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321
It was built in 1933, possibly as means of providing work during the Depression, and was designed in a simple restrained Gothic Revival style using typical materials for its time. The present church replaced an earlier timber church on this site which in turn replaced another on a site near the Inverleigh Cemetery.