Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Carlisle, WA - Holy Name Catholic

Carlisle, WA - Holy Name Catholic

Address: 54 Solar Way, , Carlisle Western Australia, 6101

Read More

Carlisle, WA - Uniting

Carlisle, WA - Uniting

Address: Star Street, , Carlisle Western Australia, 6101

Read More

Carlton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Carlton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: Cnr Rathdowne and Pelham Streets , , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The Church of the Sacred Heart replaced an earlier combined church and school, built in bluestone, known as St George's. The new church was opened and blessed by Archbishop Carr on 19 November 1899. The Architectual style is Renaissance. The Church consists of nave, side aisles, and side chapels. It is 170ft in length and 62ft across.…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1935…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: Drummond Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church it was designed by Joseph Reed and built between 1869 and 1870. The first church, seating 120 people was opened on 17 February 1861. It cost 260 on completion. This church later became half the Sunday School Hall. Construction commenced on 29 December 1860 and it took only 6 weeks to build.

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 23 Wattle Avenue, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Private dwelling. A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by A.W.F. Smith Esq Oct 1922".

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1938

Address: 142 Grange Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator The Right Rev F.W. Bolland M.C.M.A. 5th March 1938 Rev S.A. Vertigan Minister. Architects H.H. and F.B. Kemp. Builder Norman Miller".

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Carnegie, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 172 Neerim Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: 371 Neerim Road, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Peter's built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Harrington Clare Archbishop of Melbourne on Whitsun Eve A.D. 1924. Pasce Oves Meas. Louis R Williams Architect, R,J, Werner Builder".

Read More

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1 Liffey Street, , Carrick Tasmania, 7291

Built in 1843 and consecrated in 1845 after its conversion from a schoolhouse. Services were first held c1843 in a blacksmith's shop and subsequently in a schoolhouse, whose building was later transformed into St Andrew's. Thomas Reibey had the schoolhouse converted by 1845, though the tower was added in 1863. The church's burial ground…

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - Presbyterian

Carrum Downs, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 8 William Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria, 3201

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - Serbian Orthodox

Carrum Downs, VIC - Serbian Orthodox

Address: 672 Frankston Dandenong Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria, 3201

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Carrum Downs, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 65 William Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria, 3201

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - Unknown

Carrum Downs, VIC - Unknown

Address: 1155 Frankston Dandenong Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria,

Read More

Carrum, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Carrum, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: 1 Poulston Road, , Carrum Victoria, 3197

Land for the current site was purchased and a building described as little more than a shed was erected. The new church was built by Mr. William Ryall, at a cost of £98, with the organ and most of the furniture donated? An additional £28 was spent on the purchase of twelve pews. The Church was opened in May, 1902, becoming part of the…

Read More

Carrum, VIC - UNiting

Carrum, VIC - UNiting

Address: 12 McLeod Street, , Carrum Victoria, 3197

Read More

Casino, NSW - Baptist

Casino, NSW - Baptist

Address: 137 Canterbury Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

Read More

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 181 Canterbury Road, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

St Paul's Presbyterian Church was opened on Wednesday 15 July 1908 by the Right Rev. J. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly. Designed by the Casino architects, Messrs Popplewell and Sykes, in the Early English Gothic style.

Read More

Casino, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Casino, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: Cnr West & Barker Streets, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

Casino’s first Anglican Church was built of Cedar in 1871 on the bank of the Richmond River. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on the 27th August 1904 and the church was dedicated the next year.

Read More

Casino, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Casino, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 126 Canterbury Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

The first Catholic Church was erected in 1876. The current Church was built of local red bricks in 1940. A late Art Deco church with rectangular lines and heavy scale and bulk. Romanesque elements on facade. The Church was consecrated in May, 1940 by the Bishop of Lismore. The bricks came from Coombell, south of Casino.

Read More

Casino, NSW - Uniting

Casino, NSW - Uniting

Address: Dairy Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

In 1945 it was decided to sell the Caniaba Church and land and to erect a new Church on a new site. Late 1956 and early 1957 saw the completion of negotiations which enabled the Trustees, after having called a public meeting to assess our people's wishes in the matter to purchase three blocks of land on the corner of Canterbury and…

Read More

Cassilis, NSW - St Columba of Iona Anglican

Cassilis, NSW - St Columba of Iona Anglican

Year Built: 1899

Address: Cassilis Road, , Cassilis New South Wales, 2329

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone was laid by Mrs Alex Busby on July 22nd 1899. The Church was consecrated in 23rd September 1900.

Read More

Cassilis, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Cassilis, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Scott Street, , Cassilis New South Wales, 2329

The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Maitland Dr Murray on 28th January 1894. The building was to be of wood with a stone foundation at a cost of around £800.

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1909

Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Casterton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 26 Robertson Street, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The foundation of the church was laid on 7th February 1886. It was blessed on 7th November 1886 by Bishop Moore assisted by Fr Marshall and Fr Shine. The Gothic style brick church was 64 foot long and cost £3,000. Additions were made in 1918 at a cost of £500.

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Baptist

Castlemaine, VIC - Baptist

Address: 20 Templeton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

In 1861 the Reverend James Smith, a missionary from India, arrived in the in the mining township of Castlemaine. He had been invited by Rev. E. Day of the Independent Church to assist in the establishment of a local Baptist Church.

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Church of Christ

Castlemaine, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: Kennedy Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

The earliest building was constructed in 1855 as a temporary church, Sunday and day school. Designed by architect and surveyor, Clement Wilks, the foundation stone was laid on 7th March 1855. The first church building is constructed of unadorned brick and designed in a simple Georgian style. Step buttresses divide the nave into bays,…

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Castlemaine, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 78 Hargraves Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

The first temporary chapel was built in 1853. The wooden church remained in service until 1857 when plans for "a magnificent cathedral in the Elizabethan style" were announced. Frederick Poepel was chosen as the architect, and the first stone laid on September 13th 1857..

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Uniting

Castlemaine, VIC - Uniting

Address: 8-12 Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

Formerly a Presbyterian church. The foundation stone was laid by the Premier of Victoria, Sir James Patterson on June 22nd 1894. The Church was officially opened on 16th December 1894. The church was built by Mr Shillabeer to a design by the Ballarat architect Charles Figgis. It is a red brick building with cement dressings and a…

Read More

Cathcart, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Cathcart, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: Eden Street, , Cathcart New South Wales, 2632

The Church was built around 1880. The Church closed in 1970.

Read More

Cathcart, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Cathcart, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Scott Street, , Cathcart New South Wales, 2632

The Church was built in 1907 by Mr William Gauson for £150. A plaque on the Church wall reads, " A.M.D.G. This plaque was unveiled by Canon Peter Bertram to commemorate the Centenary of the establishment of St Paul's Church on the 29 October 1907. Revd Pauline Dare Priest in Charge 14 October 2007".

Read More

Caulfield North, VIC - Church of Christ

Caulfield North, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: Corner Alma & Dandenong Road, , Caulfield North Victoria, 3161

Read More

Caulfield North, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Caulfield North, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 530 Dandenong Road, , Caulfield North Victoria, 3161

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 707 Glenhuntly Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

Masses were first offered by Father O'Brien in the court room of the Caulfield Town Hall. The design is in the Gothic style and incorporates the cross into the design of the churches. Holy Cross was built in this manner, with a central nave measuring 28 metres in length and 11 metres in width. The two side porches at the altar end…

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1933

Address: 237 North Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss L.A. Nicoll a Foundation member 16.12.33. Minister Rev A Heathcote Fletcher".

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - St Catherine's Anglican

Caulfield South, VIC - St Catherine's Anglican

Year Built: 1921

Address: 406 Kooyong Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

The Revd H.B. Macartney purchased a small weatherboard former Methodist Church, known as St Peter's Mission Church, Camden Town, in 1875, on the corner of Glen Huntly Road and Cedar Street. After this, Messrs. R.W. B. Mackenzie, and I..J. Davies and J.H. Davies officiating as lay readers from St Mary's, were among the first people to take…

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Church of Christ

Caulfield, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 206 Bambra Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first meeting of the Church was held on 12th of May 1920, when the Church constituted 37 members. A Foundation stone reads, " Church of Christ To the Glory of God and the salvation of Man. Sep 2nd 1962"

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 1 Neerim Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 13 August 1928, page 12, CHURCH NEWS. Efforts to organise a Presbyterian Church in Caulfield are meeting with success. The Sunday evening services are held in the Courtroom, Caulfield Town Hall, and are conducted by the Rev. A. Hardie. Tenders have been called for the building of a church…

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…

Read More