Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Denomination: Lutheran


Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Second & Seventh Streets, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The first church was erected in 1863. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 18 September 1962 and the building was dedicated on 12 May 1963.

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Geelong, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1837

Address: 165 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

In October 1837, the first Presbyterian service to be held in Victoria was held in Dr. Alexander Thomson's home by the Rev. James Clow. On the 2nd October 1837, a meeting was called to form a congregation in Geelong. Tenders for the church, designed by Alexander J. Skene, were approved and the foundation stone was laid on the 22nd March…

Read More

Gin Gin, QLD - Redemer Lutheran

Gin Gin, QLD - Redemer Lutheran

Address: 4 Tirroan Road, , Gin Gin Queensland, 4671

Read More

Glenroy, VIC - St Luke's Lutheran (Former)

Glenroy, VIC - St Luke's Lutheran (Former)

Address: 92 Wheatsheaf Road, , Glenroy , 3046

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A. The Lutheran's share this Catholic Church for services.

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - St Matthew's Lutheran

Goombungee, QLD - St Matthew's Lutheran

Address: 57 Mocatta Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

Read More

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1897

Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 1 Oldstead Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The original church was in Briar Hill from 1954 to 1969 and then Montmorency from 1970 to 1977. A foundation stone dated 29 October 1978 sits on the wall of the current church. The current church was opened in 2006 and its foundation stone was laid on 19 February of that year.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Griffith, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 47 Sanders Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

Read More

Grovedale, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Grovedale, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1849

Address: Torquay Road, , Grovedale Victoria, 3216

The beginnings of this church go back to 1849 when five families were brought out to Geelong by the local Geelong Mayor Dr Thomson. The first church was in Church Street. The first service was held on 24 June 1854. Grovedale was called Germantown at the time but this changed in 1915. A Manse was built in 1855. In the following years…

Read More

Hahndorf, SA - St Michael's Lutheran

Hahndorf, SA - St Michael's Lutheran

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Balhannah Road & Church Street, , Hahndorf South Australia, 5245

The first Church was a mud-wall building of 1840. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid in 1858. The Church was founded by Prussian Lutheran dissenters, the church still services the oldest existing Lutheran congregation in Australia.

Read More

Hahndorf, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Hahndorf, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1859

Address: 10 Main Street, , Hahndorf South Australia, 5245

In 1838 a ship called the "Prince George" sailing from Tschichnrzig, not far from Zueaichau, between Brandenburg and Siiesia (Schleswig) in Germany, and berthed at Plymouth Sound, England, on its way to Australia. Here a pastor August Kavel joined the ship. It was this Pastor who was the founder of the congregation of St. Paul's,…

Read More

Haigslea, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Haigslea, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: Haigslea Lawn Cemetery Road, , Haigslea Queensland, 4306

The Church was opened in April 1924 with 300 attending. The Church was dedicated by Pastor C. Gaustadt on 9 July 1873. A manse was erected beside the church in 1874 and a new manse was built in 1895 which was subsequently moved to Marburg in 1904. The church building was destroyed by a cyclone on 17 November 1923. A replacement church…

Read More

Hallett Cove, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Hallett Cove, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Address: 20 Ragamuffin Drive, , Hallett Cove South Australia, 5158

Read More

Henty, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Henty, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Comer & Lyne Street, , Henty New South Wales, 2658

The Foundation stone was laid on 12 May 1963.

Read More

Horsham, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Horsham, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Address: Baillie Street, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Nicholas & Roderwick Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

The first public gathering of Lutherans in the District was held on Reformation day 1858 in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The land on which the church currently stands was granted to the Lutherans on 17 November 1862. A small brick church was erected and dedicated 26 June 1864. The current church was erected in 1960 and dedicated on…

Read More

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Ewing Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The first service was held in the home of Mr F Fiedler and conducted by Pastor J Sabel in 1933. Later that year a congregation was formed. Services were moved to the Protestant Hall in 1945. This hall was later purchased renovated and dedicated on 23 September 1956. This building was not sufficient and it was decided in 1959 a proposal…

Read More

Kalbar, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Kalbar, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: 256 Teviotville Road, , Kalbar Queensland, 4309

Formerly Engelsburg in the Fassifern District. The German settlers who settled in and around Engelsburg at first attended services at Hoya but becuase of the distance and bad roads they organised themselves into a congregation.

Read More

Kapunda, SA - St John's (Trinity) Lutheran

Kapunda, SA - St John's (Trinity) Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: South Terrace, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373

Regular services commenced as early as 1880 at Bagot Well, mainly in the homes of various members including those of J.H. Schultz and Mr and Mrs Rudolf Hoffmann. In 1900, Pastor J. J. Stolz came to Light Pass and the services at Bagot Well ceased. In 1905, members of Immanuel Synod settled near Kapunda, and desired a church of their…

Read More

Katanning, WA - St Stephens Lutheran

Katanning, WA - St Stephens Lutheran

Year Built: 1926

Address: 19 Hassell Street, , Katanning Western Australia, 6317

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1926. The Church was constructed by A Thompson.

Read More

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Poplar Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The first Lutheran's recorded in the Keith area were that of J August Rohde's family in 1888. Between then and 1948 a visiting Pastor conducted services in the Keith area. Between then and the close of the Second World War there is no records of Lutheran activities in the Keith area. The first substantive service was held on 15 August…

Read More

Kewell, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran

Kewell, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran

In 1905 the Kewell Zion Lutheran church was opened, four years after a three-roomed Lutheran school was built. The church was enlarged in 1938 and a hall was built in 1965. Both the school and the church have closed (1959, 1992).

Read More

Keyneton, SA - Lutheran

Keyneton, SA - Lutheran

Address: 801 Keyneton Road , , Keyneton South Australia, 5353

Read More

Kingaroy, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Kingaroy, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Address: 36 Markwell Street, , Kingaroy Queensland, 4610

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran

Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Cameron Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 October 1963 by Rev K.E. Thamm.

Read More

Knoxfield, VIC - Our Saviours Lutheran

Knoxfield, VIC - Our Saviours Lutheran

Address: 646 Burwood Highway, , Knoxfield Victoria, 3180

Established as a church in 1964.

Read More

Largs Bay, SA - St Peter's Lutheran
Launceston, TAS - Lutheran

Launceston, TAS - Lutheran

Address: 25 Frankland Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The first divine service was conducted in St. Andrew’s Sunday School hall. The first divine service was conducted in St. Andrew’s Sunday School hall. In the early fifties, services were conducted once a month, in German and English. There were only five members then. Some of the early attenders were Mrs A Woodman, Mrs Bartley, Mr H Trey…

Read More

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: Main Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Lutheran's of Laura first attended church at Appila. By the early 1880's several more Lutheran families had moved into Laura and this prompted Pastor Kaibel of Appila to conduct services there. By 1891 there were 19 communicant members at Laura and by 1903 the Laura families severed their ties with the Appila congregation. Services…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1962

Address: Maiden Street, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

Built of brick the church was opened on 8 July 1962.

Read More

Leigh Creek, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran
Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1886

Address: Immanuel Way, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

The first church was opened and dedicated on 29 November 1886. The tower was erected in 1930. The Church hall was opened in 1949.

Read More

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: Light Pass Road, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

This church was formed by a breakaway group in 1860 from the Immanuel Light Pass Lutheran Church. This church is just 200m from the Immanuel Church. Their first church was dedicated in 1861. A new church replaced the original church and the foundation stone of that church was laid on 14 August 1960. The Tower was erected in 1887 and…

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - Immanuel Lutheran

Lilydale, VIC - Immanuel Lutheran

Address: 1 North Road, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

Read More

Lowood, QLD - Trinity Lutheran

Lowood, QLD - Trinity Lutheran

Address: 45 Park Street, , Lowood Queensland, 4311

Read More

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1925

Address: 1B Falcon Ave,, , Loxton South Australia, 5031

The Church was first set up in 1897 by E.J.P. Kaesler before the town of Loxton was formally planned. It originally met for worship in the houses of John Drabsch of Loxton and A Stanitzki of Bookpurnong. In 1904, a stone church measuring 40ft x 20ft x 14ft (12.2m x 6.1m x 4.27m) at a cost of 180.00 having a seating capacity of 150 was…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Year Built: 1913

Address: Lyndoch Valley Road, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1913 by Pastor E Beorg. This complex consists of two church buildings, the early one was constructed for the Baptists in 1859 and purchased by the Lutherans in 1867 when they moved from Hoffnungstahl. This was used as a church and school until 1913 when the adjacent church was built.…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 3 Margaret Street, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

Read More