Year Built: 1890
Address: 8461 Thiele Highway, , Bower South Australia, 5374
The land on which the church is located was once owned by Mr F. W. Kaeding. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1890 by Pastor J. Hansen and it was finished by 1899 when a dedication service was held on 24 September. The Sunday School was opened in 1919. The church is 45 feet x 25 feet and cost approximately 120.
Year Built: 1861
Address: Whitehorse Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128
The first church was erected in 1861 at the corner of Canterbury Road and Bedford Street at a cost of 300.00. By 1883 a new church was erected on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Frankcom Street on land donated by Mr Stewart Sergeant. The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1883.* The church was to be in the Gothic style constructed…
Address: 77 Were Street, , Brighton Beach Victoria, 3186
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Brighton Beach’s Anglicans worshipped at St Peter’s Chapel of Ease in Lynch Street, which formed part of the Parish of Saint Andrews in Brighton.
Address: Corner Grimshaw Street & Alma Road, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083
The first recorded meeting of the parish was held on the 27th of June 1962 and the first service was held in the Bundoora Hall on August 19th 1962. On the 16th of December 1967 the corner stone for the Hall/Chapel building was laid.
Address: 10 William Street, , Candelo New South Wales, 2550
A Foundation stone reads, " AD DEI Gloriam - This stone was laid by Christopher George Lord Bishop of Goulburn on Wednesday 14 November 1906 - Frederick W.E. Wilkinson Acting Rector". A plaque reads, " Thanks be to God - In commemoration of the Centenary of the laying of the foundation stone at St Peter's Candelo by Bishop George…
Year Built: 1912
Address: Macquarie Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794
The original church was opened in 1861 and built by Mr Pinder. The present church had its foundation stone laid in February 1912 by T.E. Clouston D.D. and was opened in 1913 and built by Henry S Francis. It was opened by Reverend James Barr.
Address: Church Street, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414
In 1858 Bishop Perry first visited this area. The first church was a log cabin built approximately in 1861 but conjecture surrounds where it came from and who supplied it (Presbyterians or a local land holder). The first Minister to reside in Dimboola was Rev George Geer in 1881. Tenders for a new brick church were called in November of…
Year Built: 1843
Address: Corner Albert and Gisborne street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002
In September and October 1843 the Bishop of Australia, Dr William Grant Broughton visited Port Phillip and suggested there should be a second Anglican church in Melbourne. The foundation stone was laid on 18 June 1846 by the Superintendent of the settlement, Charles Joseph La Trobe. Dr Broughton had hoped to be present for the occasion…
Year Built: 1865
Address: 13 Davisson Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076
Mass had first been celebrated in the district, then known as Darebin Creek, as early as 1849. It had been held in the home of Alexander McKillop, whose daughter, Mother Mary McKillop, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. In about 1852 a Catholic Denominational School, No. 238, was established. A new wooden building was…
Year Built: 1868
Address: 2 Talbot Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214
On March 7th, 1867, Archdeacon Reibey of Entally laid the foundation stone of this beautiful little Church. The building was expected to cost £1,300, and there were eleven acres of land attached to it as a reserve, as well as five acres for a cemetery. The clergyman of the parish was the Revd. John Chambers of Cullenswood, who used to…
Address: 86 Karingal Drive, , Frankston Victoria, 3199
In the 1960s a Lutheran Church was built in Frankston. More recently the Lutheran congregation has amalgamated with the Uniting Church congregation and moved to the Uniting Church building where they share the same pastor.
Year Built: 1961
Address: 1 Torrens Square, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045
The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley.2 In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel. The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared…
Year Built: 1897
Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360
The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…
Year Built: 1973
Address: Corner Church & Oak Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705
The first Church was opened in 1915. Its foundation stone was laid in 1913 and was constructed of sun dired mud bricks. The Foundation stone of the next Church was laid on 3 March 1973 by the Right Reverend B.R. Hunter Bishop of Riverena.
Address: Corner Bruce & McCartin Streets, , Leongatha Victoria, 3953
It seems that the town of Leongatha had its beginnings just before the south Gippsland railway line reached that area in 1892. The first Church of England service in Leongatha was held in the home of Miss Shingler on 25 February 1890. It was conducted by Archdeacon Henry Langley and the Reverend C.J. Chambers from Foster.
Year Built: 1861
Address: Queen Street, , Mornington Victoria, 3931
St Peter's Church of England, (Anglican) Queen Street, Mornington, is a brick Church designed by architect Leonard Terry and built in stages commencing in 1861. The Church was opened on 19 May 1861. Later extensions include remainder of the nave, chancel, sanctuary and distinctive porch, which may have been built 1863 and much altered or…
Address: 9 Murrayville - Nhill Road , , Murrayville Victoria, 3512
The Church was erected in 1923 and constructed of limestone with brick quoins. Initially the Lutherans worshipped in a local house as early as 1910 or they journeyed to the Lutheran Church in Pinnaroo.
Address: 23 Kirke Street, , Nimmitabel New South Wales, 2631
A plaque on the Church wall reads, " To the Glory of God St Peter's Church Nimmitabel was consecrated at the 125th anniversary service 19th October, 2003 by the Rt Rev'd George Browning ,Peter Haylock, Gaile Fitzgerald, Leon Weston, wardens Rev'd Kevin Stone, Rector".
Year Built: 1858
Address: Willis Drive, , Normanville South Australia, 5204
Established in 1858. The Bishop of Adelaide, Bishop Murphy, in 1856 he and the other trustee priests Frs Ryan, Smyth and Fallon, purchased from Richard Connor, 'two acres more or less', being part of Section 1007, for £5 for the purposes of building a church. The church was dedicated on 1 January 1858 by Father Peter Hughes.
Year Built: 1869
Address: King William Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006
The first bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short, brought with him in 1848, plans for a Cathedral. The plans had been drawn up by English architect William Butterfield and is in the Gothic Revival style. The Foundation stone was laid on 13 July 1869 by Bishop Short, the first Bishop of Adelaide. Designed by Butterfield but plans modified…
Year Built: 1896
Address: Draper Street, , Ocean Grove Victoria, 3226
The Foundation stone was laid on 8 May 1960 by General, the Honourable Sir Edmund Herring Governor and Chief Justice of Victoria. The first Church of St. Peter's was opened on 12 January 1896.
Year Built: 1867
Address: 16 Monaro Street, , Pambula New South Wales, 2549
The first Catholic church was of slab construction near the bridge at Pambula. It was destroyed by huge floods in the early 1850's. A second timber church was built opposite Pambula Court House but was burnt down in the 1862 town fires. The present church was built in 1867. During the 1990's parishioners raised money by cutting…
Year Built: 1918
Address: Corner Lord & Grosvenor Streets, , Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005
Services were first held in a school room and in St Mattias' Church (now a Baptist church). In 1917 the old Mariners Church of 1862 on the wharfwas pulled down. The stone and bricks costing 50 were brough by Mr ans Mrs Edward Pearce and were given for St Peter's which was erected in 1918 in memory of their son Clyde who was killed in…