Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: Victoria


Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Address: Corner Bridport & Ferrars Streets, , Albert Park Victoria, 3206

First services were held in the Albert Hall, Bevan Street, then for 50 years in a wooden building on the site of the present service station. It was enlarged in stages. The present building was constructed by Melbourne church architect Louis Williams in 1925. In 1969 the Hall was incorporated into the lower part of the Church building.…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The commemoration stone was laid by the Reverends K.O. Williams and Reverend W.C. Paul on 20 November 1966.

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 39 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937. The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Allansford, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Allansford, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Address: Frank StreetAllansford, , Victoria, 3277

Read More

Allansford, VIC - Uniting

Allansford, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Caroline & Frank Streets, , Allansford Victoria, 3277

Read More

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Address: Railway Street North, , Altona Victoria, 3018

The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue. The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on…

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)

Address: 2310 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

The Building was designed by Laird and Barlow, architects from Geelong and was opened on 9 December 1891 by Bishop Goe. The Church was closed in October 2003 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…

Read More

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 2 Camp Road, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

The Church was opening on 19 May 1957.

Read More

Anglesea, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Anglesea, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Address: 9 Murch Crescent, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The church was opened January 2 1887.

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Adan's Anglican

Annandale, NSW - St Adan's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale Victoria, 2038

The names St Aidan's appears to have been first suggested for the church in Annandale by the Reverend Thomas Holme of Leichhardt. The Architect was Mr J.S.E. Ellis of Pitt Street Sydney. Initially the Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 but was delayed due to building but was postponed until 23 July the same year.The stone was…

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

Built in 1905.

Read More

Ararat West, VIC - Uniting

Ararat West, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Banfield & Coad Streets, , Ararat West Victoria, 3377

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Christ

Ararat, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 90 Western Highway, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: 32 View Point Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

In October 1857, there were meetings in Ararat to work towards having a resident clergyman and school building (which could also be used for public worship.) By mid October 1857 saw the arrival of Rev'd Philip Homan as the resident clergyman to Ararat and district. In September 1863 the Rev'd Homan wrote to the Diocesan Architect to…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner King Street & Ararat Pomonal Road, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Formerly a Presbyterian Church that was first considered at a meeting on 16 June 1858 with Mr Robert Allan, being the first Secretary. On 10 September 1858 the first service was held under the leadership of Dr Cairns.* On 10 February 1859 the Church was opened under the stewardship of Rev William MackIntosh. The debt for the church and…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Ararat, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 110 Western Highway, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1898

Address: 88 Kooyong Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1898 by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens. The Architect was Sydney Smith and Ogg and the builder was A Parker. It was designed in an advanced Romanesque style in red brick with stucco dressings, dark brick diapering, chequerboard gable treatment and fleche on the roof ridge. The building was later…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 5 St Georges Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 April 1910 by the Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Kooyong & Clarendon Streets, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC Uniting

Ascot Vale, VIC Uniting

Address: 60 Maribynong Road, , Ascot Vale Victoria, 3039

The original church was Presbyterian. Competitive designs were invited in 1895 for a church to seat 600 people. 38 designs were received and that of Hillson, Beasley and Little was selected. Tenders were called for the erection of the church in September 1896 without the intended tower. The tender of Angel Bros for 3,067 pounds was…

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 270 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

The first Mass was conducted by Father Patrick Loughnan on Sunday 11 December 1927 at the Ashburton Hall located on the corner of High Street and Johnston Street, just west of the shopping centre. On 26 April 1946 Ashburton was created a parish, entrusted to the care of Father John Ryan who had been an army chaplain. As the parish grew he…

Read More

Auburn, VIC - Uniting

Auburn, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1840

Address: 81 Oxley Roadd, Hawthorn, , Auburn Victoria, 3123

Between the 1840s and 1880's the Hawthorn Circuit occupied and subsequently outgrew a number of buildings until in 1886 a new larger, site was selected on the corner of Oxley Road and Hepburn Street. Originally a Wesleyan church the building was constructed in the Lombardic Romanesque style. The architect was Alfred Dunn and the…

Read More

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Queen & Plummer Streets, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

Read More

Avenel, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Avenel, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Queen Street, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

Read More

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1886

Address: Queen Street, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church built in 1886. A meeting of the building commit was held in Mr Vearings Saw Mill on 6 March 1886. It was decided to accept the tender of Mr Shatlock. By May 1886 the rear windows were being installed and anew font door had been order. In the same year Mr Graham bought the old church for £11. Dr…

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St John the Devine Anglican

Avoca, VIC - St John the Devine Anglican

Address: Corner Russell & Barnett Streets, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Address: Corner Barnett & Cambridge Streets, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

A brick church of 1872 with pointed windows, buttresses, porch and vestry. The Church was opened on 18 November 1979.

Read More

Avoca, VIC - Uniting

Avoca, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1854

Address: Corner Russell & Rutherford Street, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

Formerly a Methodist church and constructed in 1854.

Read More

Avonsleigh, VIC - Church of Christ

Avonsleigh, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 17 Avon Road, , Avonsleigh Victoria, 3782

The Original Church was built in 1887.

Read More

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Address: Corner Axe Creek Road & Bendigo Road, , Axe Creek Victoria, 3551

Read More

Axedale, VIC - Anglican

Axedale, VIC - Anglican

Address: Drake Street, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

The dedication service for the church was held on the afternoon of 22 March 1914 by Reverend C.P. Brown. The evening service was conducted by the Reverend Canon Watson. The Foundation stone was laid by the Lord Bishop of the diocese in June. The design of the church was by Mr John Beebe the architect. The bluestone was taken from the…

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Axedale, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: 80 McIvor Highway, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

The Church was opened by in 1869 by Rev J Nish of Sandhurst. The total cost of the building being £309 5s. 8d.

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 15 Raglan Place East, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

Read More

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 19 Gisborne Street, , Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340

A prefabricated iron church, was erected in 1851 to be the centre for Anglican worship in the emerging community.

Read More

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Gisborne Road, , Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340

Read More