Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Anglican


Wandin North, VIC - St James Anglican

Wandin North, VIC - St James Anglican

Address: 84 Beenak Road, , Wandin North Victoria, 3139

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Wangaratta, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral

Wangaratta, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1905

Address: Docker Street, , Wangaratta Victoria, 3677

The foundation stone was laid in 1908 by Bishop Arthur Green, the Bishop of Ballarat, and was dedicated on 24 August 1909. A second section was built between 1922 and 1924. The building was faced in locally quarried granite to a design by the English architect Walter Butler. The baptistery, designed by the church architect Louis Williams,…

Read More

Wantirna South, VIC - Anglican

Wantirna South, VIC - Anglican

Address: 250 Burwood Highway, , Wantirna South Victoria, 3152

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Warburton, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Warburton, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Address: 3363 Warburton Highway, , Warburton Victoria, 3799

Read More

Warracknabeal, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Warracknabeal, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Lyle & Anderson Street, , Warracknabeal Victoria, 3393

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 August 1886. The first service was held on 12 February 1887 as reported in the Warracknabeal Herald. The Church was constructed of brick in ancient Gothic style with an Elizabethan pitched roof of corrugated iron. The length of the building was 35ft by 22ft. The roof is supported by three massive beams.…

Read More

Warragul, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Warragul, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Address: 96 Victoria Street, , Warragul Victoria, 3820

The Church of England held services up till this time in various buildings in the Warragul district, one of which was Spong's Butcher Shop, another was the Atheneum which was the earliest building used as a hall in Warragul. Established in 1879. The first services in the district were conducted by the Reverend P J Smith at Brandy Creek in…

Read More

Warrandyte, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Warrandyte, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Address: Stiggant Street, , Warrandyte Victoria, 3113

In June 1906 it was decided to build a new church because of the activity owning to a revival in mining. One Hundred and fifty ponds had been collected (including a fifty pound grant from Bishop in Council) It was proposed to have the building erected by September, according to the Church of England Messenger. On 16 September 1096 the…

Read More

Warrnambool, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Warrnambool, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1854

Address: Henna Street, , Warrnambool Victoria, 3280

In July 1854 a group of parishioners, worshipping in a small brick building, made the decision to establish Christ Church - a church to seat 400. This original brick building was to become the rectory. The first clergyman, Peter Teulon Beamish, a deacon. was appointed to Warrnambool in 1850 and was ordained as a priest in 1854. He…

Read More

Watsonia, VIC - Anglican

Watsonia, VIC - Anglican

Address: Watsonia Road, , Watsonia Victoria, 3087

Read More

Wedderburn, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Wedderburn, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1868

Address: Kerr Street, , Wedderburn Victoria, 3518

The Foundation stone was laid in 1868. The Church is a Gothic Revival structure built of locally quarried sandstone. It has lancet windows with a chancel added in 1909. The design is that believed to be of the Rev. William Hall. Mr Samuel and Mrs Rinder donated a new hall to the Church in memory of their daughter.

Read More

Wendouree, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Wendouree, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: 204 Forest Street, , Wendouree Victoria, 3355

Read More

Werribee, VIC St Thomas' Anglican

Werribee, VIC St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1900

Address: 117 Synott Street, , Werribee Victoria, 3030

St. Thomas' comprises a complex of church buildings: the 1859 timber Gothic church, 1900 brick church, a brick hall that appears to date from 1940/50s and a Victorian house at the rear (at 38-40 Pyke Street). The red brick church, constructed in 1900 was designed by the Melbourne architects, Inskip and Butler, who specialised in the…

Read More

West Wodonga, VIC - Anglican

West Wodonga, VIC - Anglican

Address: Emerald Avenue, , West Wodonga Victoria, 3690

As of 2010 also used as a Uniting Church.

Read More

Wheelers Hill, Vic - St Matts Anglican

Wheelers Hill, Vic - St Matts Anglican

Address: 221 Lum Road, , Wheelers Hill Victoria, 3150

Read More

Whittlesea, VIC - Church of Christ Anglican

Whittlesea, VIC - Church of Christ Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Corner Plenty & Wallan Road, , Whittlesea Victoria, 3757

Anglican services began in the Upper Plenty in the summer of 1848. Traditionally they were held under a spreading gum tree on the Plenty river just south of the Toorourrong Parish Reserve later to become the township of Whittlesea. A grant of land by Thomas Willis allowed the church to be erected. A committee was formed and with…

Read More

Williamstown, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Williamstown, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 2 Pasco Street, , Wliiamstown Victoria, 3016

TThe first Church building on the current Nelson Place site was a prefabricated iron structure, brought out from England by ship. The interior was described in 1866 as having a tolerable comfortable but temporary appearance, there being a nave and two side aisles. The current bluestone Church, designed by Melbourne architect Leonard…

Read More

Winchelsea, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Winchelsea, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1860

Address: Corner Barwon Terrace & Hopkin Street, , Winchelsea Victoria, 3241

A substantial country church designed by Nathaniel Billing in the Early English manner and consisting of nave, chancel and vestry. It was erected in 1860-1 under the supervision of Edward Prowse of Geelong. The stained glass artist, William Montgomery (1850-1827), designed and made several windows for the church including a…

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Anglican

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 225 Beechworth Road, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

The church was relocated to its present position and renamed St John’s and a dedication Service was held on 6th November 1965.

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - St George's Anglican

Wonthaggi, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 2 Broome Crescent, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

The earliest recorded minutes state that Reverend Rogers conducted the first opening service on June 19th 1910. The church was licensed in March 1911. On May 15th the First Rectory organ was purchased for twenty-eight pounds and the church was named St George's. A loan of 500 pounds from a member of our church in Melbourne [as stated…

Read More

Woodend, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Woodend, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 15 Buckland Street, , Woodend Victoria, 3442

In 1864 a decision was made to replace the old wooden Church building with a more substantial bluestone building built in the Gothic Revival style. It was to be constructed of stone with walls 2 foot thick. Purvis and Co were the builders at a cost of £370. The roof of is vaulted utilising a simple King Post system. There are three…

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - Anglican (Former)

Wycheproof, VIC - Anglican (Former)

Address: 40 High Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

Read More

Yackandandah, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Yackandandah, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1860

Address: 8 Church Street, , Yackandandah Victoria, 3749

The foundation stone was laid on 15th of March 1860.

Read More

Yambuk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Yambuk, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1933

Address: Cnr Church & High Streets, , Yambuk Victoria, 3285

A Foundation stone reads, " St Peter's Church Yambuk A.M.D.G. This stone commemorates the dedication of this church by Philip Fourth Bishop of Ballarat 13th August 1933".

Read More

Yarra Glen, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Yarra Glen, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Corner Bell Street & Anzac Avenue, , Yarra Glen Victoria, 3775

A meeting was held at Yarra Flats Hotel on Saturday 10 July 1886 to discuss the building of an Episcopalian Church at Yarra Flats. John Sayle (1820-1901) chaired the meeting and a committee was formed of local residents. A block of land at the corner of Armstrong Grove and the Old Healesville Road (Melba Highway) was donated by Mr. John…

Read More

Yarra Junction, VIC - All Saints' Anglican / Uniting

Yarra Junction, VIC - All Saints' Anglican / Uniting

Address: 2438 Warburton Highway, , Yarra Junction Victoria, 3797

Read More

Yarragon, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Yarragon, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Address: Lock Street, , Yarragon Victoria, 3823

Read More

Yarram, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Yarram, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 95 Commercial Road, , Yarram Victoria, 3971

A public meeting to consider the matter of erecting a Church was conviened on 13th August 1866. The minutes record that a block of land was secured having a chain frontage to the Yarram road, at a cost of 10 pounds. (This block is where the Rectory now stands in Commercial Road). On September 8th 1866 it was decided to erect a building…

Read More

Yarrambat, VIC - St Michael's Anglican

Yarrambat, VIC - St Michael's Anglican

Address: Ironbark Road, , Yarrambat Victoria, 3091

Read More

Yarraville, VIC - Anglican

Yarraville, VIC - Anglican

Address: 41 Sommerville Road, , Yarraville Victoria, 3013

Now Anglicare. The Presbytery was built in 1934 and was sold in 2015. A Foundation stone reads, " Gloria Dei This stone was laid by His Grace the Most Reverend Harrington Clare Lees D.D. Archbiship of Melbourne on September 2nd 1922 A.D. A. Clissolo Builder Thos Watts and Sons Architects".

Read More

Yarrawonga, VIC - St Cuthbert's Anglican

Yarrawonga, VIC - St Cuthbert's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 41 Piper Street, , Yarrawonga Victoria, 3730

Until 1884, when the first St. Cuthbert’s church was built, divine services were conducted in schools at Yarrawonga, Boomahnoomoonah, Tungamah, Youarang North, Pelluebla South and Lake Rowan by Reverend A. T. Hayhow and Reverend L. R. West (the first Rector of Yarrawonga, from 1880, appointed by the Bishop of Melbourne). By 1882 there…

Read More

Yea, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Yea, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: Corner Lyons & Pelissier Street, , Yea Victoria, 3717

Originally all denominations in this beautiful farming community met for worship in a wooden building which served as both Church and Parsonage. Though intended for all those of protestant evangelical persuasion the first preacher in 1857 was Mr Ashe and Anglican lay preacher. A Mrs L Kerr came to the rescue of the Anglicans to build…

Read More

Yinnar, VIC - Holy Innocents Anglican

Yinnar, VIC - Holy Innocents Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 320 Middle Creek Road, , South Yinnar Victoria, 3869

The Church is approximately four metres by five metres. It was built in 1894 by Mr James Mortan and painted by Mr John Curtie. The church was licenced on 1 January 1985. Mr Mortan built eight pews for the church as a gift which remain in use.

Read More