Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Anglican


Carrum, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Carrum, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: 1 Poulston Road, , Carrum Victoria, 3197

Land for the current site was purchased and a building described as little more than a shed was erected. The new church was built by Mr. William Ryall, at a cost of £98, with the organ and most of the furniture donated? An additional £28 was spent on the purchase of twelve pews. The Church was opened in May, 1902, becoming part of the…

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Casterton, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 184 Henty Street, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

Read More

Caulfield North, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Caulfield North, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1938

Address: 530 Dandenong Road, , Caulfield North Victoria, 3161

In 1904, St Paul’s first wooden church was built on the corner of Derby Parade and Salisbury St Caulfield and licensed as St Paul’s Caulfield on the 20th of February. In 1909, the church was put on wheels and moved by horse cart to our present location. The Vicarage was built in 1912. The parish hall, built in 1920 – 22. A…

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - St Catherine's Anglican

Caulfield South, VIC - St Catherine's Anglican

Year Built: 1921

Address: 406 Kooyong Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

The Revd H.B. Macartney purchased a small weatherboard former Methodist Church, known as St Peter's Mission Church, Camden Town, in 1875, on the corner of Glen Huntly Road and Cedar Street. After this, Messrs. R.W. B. Mackenzie, and I..J. Davies and J.H. Davies officiating as lay readers from St Mary's, were among the first people to take…

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…

Read More

Cavendish, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Cavendish, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: Cnr Bunbury Street & Henty Highway, , Cavendish Victoria, 3314

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This Church was dedicated in the name of St Mark by William Auchterlonie Hardie Sixth Bishop Of Ballarat on 27th April 1963".

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Martin's Anglican

Charlton, VIC - St Martin's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: 3 Armstrong Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

The first Church was built in 1889. A Foundation stone reads, "In Memory of the fallen in Two World Wars the Foundation stone of this Church of St Martin built for the worship of God was set by Allen Second Bishop of St Arnaud on 28 April 1963. G.B. Lucas Rector."

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Cheltenham, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 161 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

At a meeting of the congregation on 1st February, 1865, the Rev. S. Taylor was authorized to apply for a grant of land on which to build a church. Part of the Government Reserve was chosen — the triangular piece of land on which St Matthew's now stands In 1867, a separate Parish of Cheltenham was created, and baptisms (of adults as…

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Chiltern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Albert Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

During 1869 services were held in the Old Fellows hall. Erected over a period between 1870 and 1875, the design was adapted from a church in Ireland. Construction was by James Fitzpatrick. The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1870 by Sir William Foster Stawell Chief Justice of the Colony of Victoria. The architects were…

Read More

Churchill, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Churchill, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: Williams Avenue, , Churchill Victoria, 3842

Read More

Clayton, VIC All Saints Anglican

Clayton, VIC All Saints Anglican

Address: 2 Dixon Street, , Clayton Victoria, 3168

A Foundation stone reads, " Aug 18th A.D. 1910".

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: South Terrace, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

St Andrew's Church was constructed in reinforced concrete and bluestone to the designs of North & Williams. The foundation stone was laid on 4 March 19161 and the building dedicated on 30 September of that year.

Read More

Clunes, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Clunes, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: 9 Templeton Street, , Clunes Victoria, 3370

The former church was built in 1859-60 on a different site, in Fraser Street, and as a single nave. The later church, built in 1870-71 of bluestone with cement dressings, is in the Decorated Gothic mode, and is the only identifiable Australian work of the architect Thomas Austin of Austin and Johnson. The style is Later Gothic.

Read More

Cobden, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Cobden, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Curdie Street, , Cobden Victoria, 3266

Saint Mary’s Anglican Church was established in about 1866, and is part of the Mission District of Saint Francis of Assisi which encompasses Cobden, Terang, Timboon, Peterborough, Simpson and Camperdown. A Foundation stone was laid by John Murray on 25 August 1910.

Read More

Cobram, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Cobram, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Pine Street, , Cobram Victoria, 3644

A Foundation stone reads, " Memorial stone laid by the Bishop of Wangaratta August 24th 1906 Architect and Builder H.H. Farrall". There are another two stones mounted on the front brick pillars. One reads "Erected by the citizens of Cobram 1953". The other reads, " To the Glory of God in Memory of L.G. Hamilton".

Read More

Coburg, VIC - St Alban's Anglican

Coburg, VIC - St Alban's Anglican

Address: 256 Raynard Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

Read More

Cockatoo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Cockatoo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: McBride Street, , Cockatoo Victoria, 3781

Read More

Cohuna, VIC - Anglican

Cohuna, VIC - Anglican

Address: 32 Channel Street, , Cohuna Victoria, 3568

Read More

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Colac, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Corner Hessie & Pollack Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Church of St John's is a fine brick building set prominently on a busy corner in the midst of the old residential area of the town. The present building replaces the first church on the site, which was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The new building constructed from plans prepared by Messrs Henderson and Davidson was opened…

Read More

Coleraine, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Coleraine, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Cnr Church & Henty Street, , Coleraine Victoria, 3315

The foundation stone for Holy Trinity Church, Coleraine was laid on 8 February 1865 by the Rev. Dr Francis Thomas Cusack Russell and the first service held on 4 November 1866. In 1850 the Irish-born Rev. Dr Russell was sent by the Bishop of Melbourne to the District of Wannon, a large area stretching from Hamilton to the South Australian…

Read More

Corinella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Corinella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1952

Address: 24 Smythe Street, , Corinella Victoria, 3984

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Right Reverend D.B. Blackwood M.A. TH.D. V.D. 9th October 1952. Vicar The Reverend J.H. Shilton TH.L.".

Read More

Corryong, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Corryong, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Address: 145 Hanson Street, , Corryong Victoria, 3707

Read More

Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican

Cowes, VIC - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: 102 Thompson Avenue, , Cowes Victoria, 3922

The site of this Church was reserved for church purposes on the 12th April 1869 and was described in official language as being "crown allot 18 and part of 17 of Section 7" and fronting the main street of Cowes. The style of the building was not in the traditional Gothic style of the times but had a flat ceiling and round headed…

Read More

Cowwarr, VIC - Anglican (Former)

Cowwarr, VIC - Anglican (Former)

Address: Church Street, , Cowwarr Victoria, 3857

In 2022 the Church appears to be in private hands.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Cranbourne, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Childers & Russell streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

Read More

Creswick, VIC - St John's Anglican

Creswick, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 103 Napier Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363

Read More

Cudgewa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Cudgewa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 164 Main Street, , Cudgewa Victoria, 3705

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs Wm Blair 16th July 1924".

Read More

Dandenong, VIC - St James' Anglican

Dandenong, VIC - St James' Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: 53 Langhorne Street, , Dandenong Victoria, 3175

The first church service in Dandenong was conducted on July 21, 1850 in Dunbar's Hotel, which also served as a courthouse, saleroom and a general venue for meetings. In October 1863 a meeting of church members and others was arranged to discuss the erection of a church. The Foundation Stone was laid July 5, 1864, by the Governor of…

Read More

Dandenong, VIC - St Michael & St Luke Anglican

Dandenong, VIC - St Michael & St Luke Anglican

Year Built: 1998

Address: 1472 Heatherton Road, , Dandenong Victoria, 3175

A Foundation stone reads, " St Michael and St Luke's Church was dedicated and consecrated by Archbishop Keith Rayner September 13 1998. Vicar Alan Hughes Architect Malcolm Elliott Builder Ross Jackson". A further foundation stone reads, " St Michael's Church This stone was set by Geoffrey T. Sambell Bishop 8th March 1969 Peter F.…

Read More

Daylesford, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Daylesford, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: 54 Central Springs Road, , Daylesford Victoria, 3460

An early and good example of Leonard Terry's church design, dating from 1862-3, and in the Early English style. The building comprises a spacious nave of six bays, porch and elevated chancel. The church was built between 1862 and 1863 and the Chancel added in 1896. The original portion was funded by the local people under direction of…

Read More

Deans Marsh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Deans Marsh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1884

Address: Deans Marsh Road, , Deans Marsh Victoria, 3235

By 1883 the construction of a church on land donated by Robert Bell was underway. The builders were Thomas Hunt and John Anderson and the church was opened on 27 January 1884 and dedicated to St Paul by the Reverend W.E. Mantell. The church was opened on 27th January 1884 by the Rev. W.W. Mantell. The builders however had made an error…

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Derrinallum, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Diamond Creek, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Hyde & Main Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The first recorded Church of England services were conducted by the Rev. Francis Hales. In 1860 Diamond Creek came under the jurisdiction of the Eltham parish - with the Rev R Mackie, and then the Rev Josiah Hollis as vicars. The building was designed by Charles Maplestone of Heidelberg, son-in-law to Anthony Beale of St Helena.…

Read More

Digby, VIC - St John's Anglican

Digby, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 3261 Portland Casterton Road, , Digby Victoria, 3309

Read More

Dimboola, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Dimboola, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Church Street, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414

In 1858 Bishop Perry first visited this area. The first church was a log cabin built approximately in 1861 but conjecture surrounds where it came from and who supplied it (Presbyterians or a local land holder). The first Minister to reside in Dimboola was Rev George Geer in 1881. Tenders for a new brick church were called in November of…

Read More

Dingee, VIC - St Lukes Anglican (Former)

Dingee, VIC - St Lukes Anglican (Former)

Address: 21 Evans Street, , Dingee Victoria, 3571

Read More

Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Dingley, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: 387 Old Dandenong Road, , Dingley Victoria, 3172

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Revd J.H. Gregory 12th February 1873". A Plaque near the church entrance reads, The Church was built by the generosity and vision of Mary Attenborough. Mary and her brother Thomas migrated to Australia from Dingley, Northamptonshire, England in 1853 Mary was a lady of strong and…

Read More

Donald, VIC - St George's Anglican

Donald, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 8 Blair Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - St David's Anglican

Doncaster East, VIC - St David's Anglican

Address: 1111 Doncaster Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Doncaster, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: Church Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

Gothic Revival in design the original church had pointed arched windows, a slate roof built of dark brown brickwork and stone. The front porch was removed in the 1950's.* Largely as a result of agitation by Mr Pickering a church building committee was formed in 1867. Mr E. Tatham chaired a meeting at which subscription lists were drawn…

Read More