Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Presbyterian


Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 239 Main Streert, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone for St Andrew's Church was laid by Rev A S McLean on December 17th, 1885. The site now accommodation a Health Services Group and a Red Cross Centre.

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC Presbyterian

Bairnsdale, VIC Presbyterian

Address: 159 Nicholson Street, , Bairnrsdale Victoria, 3875

Read More

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1953

Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets, , Balaclava North Victoria, 3183

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.* At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management…

Read More

Ballarat Central, VIC - Ebenezer St John's Presbyterian

Ballarat Central, VIC - Ebenezer St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1857

Address: 212 Armstrong Street, , Ballarat Central Victoria, 3350

The Ebenezer Presbyterian Church was born out of the early missionary work of the Presbyterian Church in the gold rush that followed the first “Gold Find” in 1851. On Sunday 16th February 1857, Rev James Ballantyne of the United Presbyterian Church conducted a temperance mission in Ballarat East. In 1978 the congregation from St Johns…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1897

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were prepared for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 53 Gadenia Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Year Built: 1876

Address: 24 Godfrey Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

Presbyterian services were conducted in the district from 1876, and in a permanent church building in Boort from 1881. It is believed this building was sold to the Anglican Church c1905 (see history of St. Andrew's Anglican church). A new wooden Presbyterian church, St. Andrews, was designed and built in 1901 by Mr. A. E. DeGruchy for…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1896

Address: Corner North & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq. John Knox church (built 1876) Original Architect - Charles Webb

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The earliest recorded Anglican service to be held in Brighton, formerly known as `Waterville' was held in 1842 in a simple slab and shingle home, owned by Henry Dendy, near the corner of New and Well Streets. The Reverend Adam Compton Thompson, the only clergyman in the colony at the time was the first to offer ministry in Brighton. He…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More

Bundoora, VIC - Presbyterian

Bundoora, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 19 Enterprise Drive, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for £375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of £566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - Presbyterian

Camperdown, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 59 Campbell Street, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Presbyterian

Canterbury, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1927

Address: 137 Canterbury Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

The foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church, Canterbury was laid on 19 February 1927. The building was designed by architect W.H. Ford.

Read More

Cardinia, VIC - Pesbyterian (Former)

Cardinia, VIC - Pesbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1915

Address: 2400 Ballarto Road , , Cardinia Victoria, 3978

Mr Walter Duff donated the land for the church and he and his wife organised garden parties to start a building fund. James Irwin of Ararat was the architect and the builder was a Mr Caulsen, costing £450 to build. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Walter Duff Esq J.P. on the 23rd of October 1915.…

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1938

Address: 142 Grange Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator The Right Rev F.W. Bolland M.C.M.A. 5th March 1938 Rev S.A. Vertigan Minister. Architects H.H. and F.B. Kemp. Builder Norman Miller".

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - Presbyterian

Carrum Downs, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 8 William Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria, 3201

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1909

Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

The earliest building was constructed in 1855 as a temporary church, Sunday and day school. Designed by architect and surveyor, Clement Wilks, the foundation stone was laid on 7th March 1855. The first church building is constructed of unadorned brick and designed in a simple Georgian style. Step buttresses divide the nave into bays,…

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1933

Address: 237 North Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss L.A. Nicoll a Foundation member 16.12.33. Minister Rev A Heathcote Fletcher".

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 1 Neerim Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 13 August 1928, page 12, CHURCH NEWS. Efforts to organise a Presbyterian Church in Caulfield are meeting with success. The Sunday evening services are held in the Courtroom, Caulfield Town Hall, and are conducted by the Rev. A. Hardie. Tenders have been called for the building of a church…

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1871

In the spring of the year 1871 as inhabitants of stations around Charlton crossed southwards over the recently constructed Avoca bridge they saw the beginnings of the first House of Worship in Charlton. The contractor James Paterson, of Nardoo, Buckrabnayule, a builder who learnt his trade in Scotland was putting the final touches to the…

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 8 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

From TROVE 3 Sep 1886. The Cheltenham Presbyterian congregation on last Wednesday evening held a conversazione, to show their appreciation of the services ot the late pastor, the Hey. D. H. Ballantyne, who after 17 years' ministration, working in connexion with the Brighton church Cheltenham being a missionary station had resigned the…

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - Presbyterian

Clifton Hill, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Michael & McKeans Streets, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Read More

Cohuna, VIC - Scots Presbyterian (Former)

Cohuna, VIC - Scots Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1923

Address: 2A Cullen Street, , Cohuna Victoria, 3568

The first official meeting of Presbyterians was held in 1915. This site was purchased in 1916 and Scots Church built in 1923. The Sunday School Hall was erected in 1935 and was renovated and enlarged in 1958, chiefly with voluntary labour. Following the amalgamation of the Churches as Cohuna Uniting Parish in 1973, the complex was sold to…

Read More

Colac, VIC - Presbyterian

Colac, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1982

Address: 90 Armstrong Street, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend C.A. Harrison Moderator of the Presbyterian Church on 20 February 1982.

Read More

Coonewarre, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Coonewarre, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 203 Stacey's RoadCoonewarre, , Coonewarre Victoria, 3227

A sign says its now the local Aero club.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Sladen & Russell Streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

The Church was built in 1951.

Read More

Cressy, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)
Cudgewa, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Cudgewa, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1899

Address: 946 Cudgewa Valley Road, , Cudgewa Victoria, 3705

The Church was sold in 2008.

Read More

Dandenong, VIC - Presbyterian

Dandenong, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 53 Potter Street, , Dandenong Victoria, 3175

Read More

Daylesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Daylesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 10 Vincent Street, , Daylesford Victoria, 3460

Read More

Daylesford, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Daylesford, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1904

Address: 21 Camp Street, , Daylesford Victoria, 3460

The foundation stone was laid in 1903 by Mrs Jessie Leggatt of a prominent Daylesford family (there is a Leggatt Street in the town). Mrs Leggatt gave the money to build the church and her marble memorial plaque remains affixed inside the empty porch. The style is a modified English Decorated. A brick church built between 1903 and 1904…

Read More

Donvale, VIC - Presbyterian

Donvale, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: McGowans Street, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Drouin, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1959

Address: 1 Church Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

From an unknown date until November 1880, the Presbyterians of Drouin worshipped in the Anglican Church building, then situated at 30 Grant Street. A Presbyterian Charge was established in the district as early as 1876 and that the first service was conducted by Rev. W. L. Morton at the "Lardner Track School" in October of that year.…

Read More