Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Beaconsfield, TAS - St Francis Xaviers Catholic

Beaconsfield, TAS - St Francis Xaviers Catholic

Address: 188 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Catholic families began moving into the mining town of Beaconsfield during the 1880s. Within a decade, they had built a solid timber Church dedicated to St Francis Xavier. On May 11, 1890, Monsignor Daniels Beechinor of Launceston accompanied his uncle, Archbishop Daniei Murphy, to the West Tamar town for the laying of the foundation…

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 125 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a…

Read More

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Bishop Place, , Beagle Bay Western Australia, 6725

The community was established by Trappist Monks around 1890. In 1884, the first ever priest arrived to serve the Catholics in the Kimberley to try and convert the Aboriginal people. Bishop Matthew Gibney founded the Beagle Bay mission, developed in the land of the Nyul Nyul people. The Pallottine fathers and brothers took charge of the…

Read More

Bears Laggon, VIC - St John's Anglican
Beaudesert, QLD - Baptist

Beaudesert, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1949

Address: 13 Eaglesfield Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The Foundation of one of the churches was laid on 8 October 1949 by Mr G.C. Sweetman President of the Queensland Baptist Union.

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Memorial Anglican

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Memorial Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 7 Albert Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The original church was built in 1888 on 1 acre of land donated by Thomas Brayford. A £530 tender was accepted for the church to be constructed. Bishop Webber consecrated the church in September, 1888. The first Rector, Rev. Frederick Newton, served 1889-1891. The parish hall was built in 1897 and Rev. Henry Knatchbull built the Rectory…

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - Uniting

Beaudesert, QLD - Uniting

Address: 1 Duckett Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

Ministry of the Methodist/Uniting Church has operated in Beaudesert since regular church services commenced in January 1908. A Mr. Moorhouse conducted services occasionally in the town of Beaudesert. Those services were held in the home of Mr. & Mrs. S.R. LeGrand. In 1907 there were three names on the Methodist Members Roll for…

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Beaufort, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Livingstone Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Hill Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

An earlier church was opened in November 1868 to the design of the Ballarat architect H.R. Caselli, costing more than £900.00. The foundation stone of the present church, designed by Ballarat diocesan architect G.S. Richards, was laid in April 1957. It was constructed in cream brick in a refined Gothic style: there is a small tower at…

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Leichardt Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beaumaris, VIC - Baptist

Beaumaris, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1960

Address: 223 Balcombe Road, , Beaumaris Victoria, 3193

Around 1955 two blocks of land in the central Beaumaris area had been purchased, but under new uniform building regulations, they proved too small for the erection of a Church building. Members were then led to a large block of land (100ft. by 400ft.) in Balcombe Road which was available for purchase at £3500. Following approval of…

Read More

Beebo, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Beebo, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: Glenarbon Church Road, , Beebo Queensland, 4385

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Baptist (Former)

Beechworth, VIC - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1873

Address: 14 Ford Street, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The former Baptist Church, 1873 [later Assemblies of God] was built of red brick with only the front elevation stuccoed and scored to resemble ashlar. This church also served followers of the Church of Christ. Now in Private Hands. Now in Private Hands.

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Ford & Church Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The first Rector was The Reverend Cooper Searle and a rectory was built for him in 1855. At the time the present church hall was the first church building. The Victorian Government provided two-thirds of the building costs for the current church. The Church was erected in two stages. The foundation stone for the first stage, comprising…

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Beechworth, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 26 Ford Street, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

A new Church building was opened in 1878.

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1857

Address: Corner Ford & Williams Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The foundation stone of the Beechworth Presbyterian Church was laid by the Rev. James Nish, of Sandhurst, on 6th July, 1857. St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857.…

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Church Street, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

A reference in the Argus Newspaper intimates that a weatherboard chapel was being erected in 1855. The Church was dedicated on Saturday March 2 1872.

Read More

Beecroft, NSW - Presbyterian

Beecroft, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 1A Mary Street, , Beecroft New South Wales, 2119

On 17 December 1903 a congregational meeting agreed to purchase the land upon which the church was subsequently built. The building for the Church was commenced on 19 September 1908 and was opened on 13 February 1909. The sandstone for the foundations was locally quarried and donated by George Frederick Willis, the father of David John…

Read More

Beecroft, NSW - St John's Anglican

Beecroft, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1907

Initially a site on the southern corner of Beecroft Road and Hannah Street was purchased, architectural plans of William Coward were accepted and building by Hart & Sons of Parramatta of a small timber church was completed. Later due to the growth of the Church it was decided to purchase a new site, and the larger present site was…

Read More

Beecroft, NSW - Uniting

Beecroft, NSW - Uniting

Address: 82 Beecroft Road, , Beecroft New South Wales, 2119

Read More

Beenleigh, QLD - Baptist

Beenleigh, QLD - Baptist

Address: 87 Pheasant Avenue, , Beenleigh Queensland, 4207

Read More

Beenleigh, QLD - Bethesda Lutheran

Beenleigh, QLD - Bethesda Lutheran

Its first congregation was formed in 1880. In the beginning of the year 1884, the congregation joined the Bethania Parish and later in the year £230 was raised to build the new church. On September 14, 1884, the church was dedicated, Pastor Sueltmann conducting the ceremony. The Beenleigh Lutheran congregation seceded from an earlier…

Read More

Beenleigh, QLD - St George's Anglican

Beenleigh, QLD - St George's Anglican

Address: 10 Tansey Street, , Beenleigh Queensland, 4207

The land on which the church was built was donated by Michael Tansey after whom Tansey Street was named. The original St George’s Anglican Church was officially opened on the 16th September 1875 at 10 Tansey Street Beenleigh. The original building was moved in 1981 to the Beenleigh Historical Village.

Read More

Beenleigh, QLD - St George's Anglican (Former)

Beenleigh, QLD - St George's Anglican (Former)

Originally situated in Tansey Street, the Church has the distinction of being the first church to be built in the town. The land on which it was built was donated by Michael Tansey, an early Beenleigh settler and businessman. The church was designed by Queensland Colonial Architect, Francis Drummond Greville Stanley, and built at a…

Read More

Beenleigh, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Beenleigh, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 24 Tobruk Street, , Beenleigh Queensland, 4207

Read More

Bega, NSW - Baptist

Bega, NSW - Baptist

Address: 17 Meringo Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

The Church was established in 1970.

Read More

Bega, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Bega, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 116 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Bega, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Bega, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 12 Church Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

The first ministrations of the Church on the South Coast, were rendered by the Rev. William George Nott, in 1842, who worked for some months in the "District of Maneroo, beyond the limits of location." When in 1843 the Rev. E. G. Pryce was appointed, his charge comprised the whole of the Monaro and South Coast, and beyond, too, for there…

Read More

Bega, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Bega, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 136 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

In 1865 St Patrick's parish begins in Bega as a separate parish from Pambula. The Original church was consecrated in 1882. In 1884 The Sisters of Charity established their first school near St Patrick's Church.

Read More

Bega, NSW - Uniting

Bega, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: 125 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The present brick church in Bega was opened in 1924. The foundation stone was laid on July 8th. At the ceremony were Mrs. Boardman and Mrs. Rogers who were present at the laying of the foundation stone of the original church in 1868. Mrs. Emma Rogers, wife of one of the original trustees, laid the…

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Belair, SA - Uniting

Belair, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 4 February 1928 by Mrs Arthur H. Gault.

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Holy Cross Lutheran

Belconnen, ACT - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1985

Address: Corner Emu Bank Road & Eastern Valley Way, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 April 1985.

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Ross Smith Crescent & Gatty Street, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

Read More

Belgrave South, VIC - Baptist

Belgrave South, VIC - Baptist

Address: 144 Belgrave Hallam Road, , Belgrave South Victoria, 3160

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas' the More Catholic

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas' the More Catholic

Address: 17 Terry Avenue, , Belgrave Victoria, 3160

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Bell Park, VIC - God Ukrainian Catholic

Bell Park, VIC - God Ukrainian Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 14 Adler Crescent, , Bell Park Victoria, 3215

A Foundation stone reads, " This Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church Nativity of the Holy Mother of God erected by the Ukrainian Orthodox. Altar cross was blessed by Bishop Andrew 21.11.1971 AD. The Church was consecrated by his Beatitude Metropolitan Mstyslav 25.6.1978 AD".

Read More

Bell Park, VIC - Holy Family Catholic

Bell Park, VIC - Holy Family Catholic

Address: 147 Separation Street, , Bell Park Victoria, 3215

Read More

Bell Park, VIC - Ukrainian Catholic

Bell Park, VIC - Ukrainian Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 21 Adler Crescent, , Bell Park Victoria, 3215

A plaque on the bell tower reads, " Bell Tower Memorial Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine 988 - 1988". A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of the patronage of the mother of God erected by the Ukrainian Catholics to the Glory of God and as a war memorial was consecrated by his Lordship Bishop Ivan Prasko Sunday 16th October 1966…

Read More