Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1911 and 1920


Culcairn, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Culcairn, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Balfour & Fraser Streets, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

The Foundation stone was laid by the right Reverend E.A. Anderson D.D. Bishop of the Riverina on 27 September 1914.

Read More

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Fourth Street, , Curramulka South Australia, 5580

Formerly a Methodist Church the Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1911 by Mrs C Lovelock.

Read More

Daceyville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Daceyville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1913

Address: 29 Banks Avenue, Daceyville, Daceyville New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Delegate, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Delegate, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: 6 Church Street, , Delegate New South Wales, 2633

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid and blessed by The Very Rev J.J. Norris Parish Priest and Vicar Forane of Cooma Dec 12th 1915".

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - Uniting

Derrinallum, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1914

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1914 by Mrs H Allan Currie.

Read More

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 20 McCulloch Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first services were held in the home of Mr Thomas Bath at Swanwater West prior to 1873 and were services conducted by Ministers from St Arnaud. There were local Methodist churches in Swanwater, Jeffcott and Avon. A Church for Donald was also under consideration but an effort to raise subscriptions in November 1876 was not…

Read More

Dunkeld, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Dunkeld, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1913

Address: 78 Willis Street, , Dunkeld Victoria, 3294

The foundation stone of the Methodist Church, Dunkeld was laid on 16 August 1913 by Mrs G. Taylor. The architects were Clegg, Miller & Cain, of Hamilton, and the builder E.B. Patterson. The building was opened on 17 January 1914 however it is now closed and in privae hands.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 91 Manning Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

In 1891, on Sunday, December 13th, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed and opened a new timber station church (on the site of the current presbytery) for the parish of St. Stephen’s, Oakleigh at a place named Emo, after the Emo Estate. Today, on that same block of land purchased for £542, the buildings of St. Mary’s Catholic Parish stand. They…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Glen Huntley & Brighton Roads, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The first church was a wooden church and was erected in 1886 at the corner of McCombie Street. It was opened by the Very Reverend H.B. McCartney. It was later relocated to the current church site.* The Foundation stone of the present church was laid on 21 August 1915 by the Archbishop of Melbourne James Moorehouse.*

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: 567 Glen Huntly Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3188

The first service was conducted by the Rev George Faulds in the Court House (31 October). He is to become the first permanent minister at the Caulfield Presbyterian Church. In 1915 Architects are requested to invite fresh tenders for a new church. The tender for the new church was accepted for £2,787. A Foundation stone reads, " This…

Read More

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1919

Address: 30 Giles Street, , Encounter Bay South Australia, 5211

Called the Jeffries Memorial Church the foundation stone was laid on 1 November 1919 by Mr R.T. Sweetman. The connection with the Jefferis family was quite extensive. A photo of Dr Jefferis hangs in the church, the land was given by Mrs Jefferis and the preaching desk was also donated by Mrs Jefferis. The original Communion table…

Read More

Erskineville, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Erskineville, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 23 Swanton Street, , Erskineville New South Wales, 2043

The parish began with a small wooden church (that had originally been a protestant church) at 134 George Street, Erskineville in 1862.sold to the Railway Commissioners in 1911. The Church was designed by J.McCarthy in the Federation Gothic style and built in 1912. It has a frontage of 76 feet to the main street, with a depth of 100…

Read More

Eugowra, NSW - Welsh Memorial Uniting

Eugowra, NSW - Welsh Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: North Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the foundation stone was laid on 3 January 1912 Robert Kay Moderator. The church hall was erected in 1958.

Read More

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: 91 Main Road, , Exeter Tasmania, 7075

The first move towards the establishment of a church at Exeter took place during the year 1910 when a meeting was held at the Hotel to discuss the purchase of a piece of land on which to build a church. Those attending that meeting included Rev. C. C. Macmichael, Messrs B. C. Archer, Spencer Priestley, George Bray and Eric Reid. It was…

Read More

Finley, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Finley, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1919

Address: Corner Denison & Wollamai Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

The land was purchased from William Tindale for £60. The Builder was Mr. J.T. Close. The total cost of the Church, including furniture, was approximately £2600 and 67,000 bricks were used. The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs C McAlister 29 October 1919.

Read More

Forest Hill, VIC - Uniting

Forest Hill, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1916

Address: 333A Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In August 1864 a public meeting was held at the cottage of Francis Rooks in the forests of Nunawading "for the purpose of taking into consideration the desirability of raising a chapel in connection with the Wesleyan Body". In the chair was Joseph Aspinall. The site first held services in 1870. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was…

Read More

Freshwater, NSW - St Peter's Presbyterian (Former)

Freshwater, NSW - St Peter's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1917

Address: Cnr Albert and Ocen View Road, , Freshwater New South Wales, 2096

The church was built in 1917, the land at the corner of Albert St and Oceanview Rd at Freshwater was bought in April 1911 after local residents asked the Presbyterian Church in Manly in 1910 if services could be held in their area. The architect chosen to design the church was Frederick Trenchard Smith, who had been elected to Manly…

Read More

Ganmain, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Ganmain, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 45 Langham Street, , Ganmain New South Wales, 2702

From the Daily Advertiser Wagga Wagga 23 June 1911-lt has been definitely decided to undertake the erection of a handsome new Catholic Church here very shortly. Mr. Kempton (of Kempton and Connelly, of Melbourne), architect, was in Ganmain during the week and as a result of a conference with Rev. Father Griffin, Messrs. L. Looney, J.…

Read More

Ganmain, NSW - Uniting

Ganmain, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Gresham & Langham Street, , Ganmain New South Wales, 2702

The first church service in the district was'held in Mr. and Mrs. William Brill's home in February 1892, by Rev Maddern of Wagga Wagga Methodist Church. On 24th February 1894 a crown land block on the corner of Langham and Gresham Streets, Ganmain for^ 5. The first church, built of timber ( murray pine) with an iron roof ( not wooden…

Read More

Gilgandra, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Gilgandra, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: 42 Myrtle Street, , Gilgandra New South Wales, 2827

By 1912 the Presbyterians of Gilgandra were in a position to construct a church building and decided to ‘build one that would meet the requirements of a growing congregation for some time’. A building capable of seating 250 people was designed by Messrs. Power and Andrews of Sydney. Mr. R. J. Carson undertook construction under the…

Read More

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1920

Address: Corner High & Cross Streets, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Reverend T.G. White was the Architect of the Church.

Read More

Glen Huntly, VIC - St John's Uniting

Glen Huntly, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Foster & Glen Huntly Roads, , Glen Huntly Victoria, 3163

In 1887 twelve Caulfield Presbyterians meet in the new Shire Hall to consider providing Presbyterian services for Caulfield and part of Balaclava. The Rev George Faulds conducted the first service in the Court House on 31 October of the same year. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 August 1915 by A.P. Gardiner Esq.

Read More

Glen Innes, NSW - Cameron Memorial Uniting

Glen Innes, NSW - Cameron Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1920

Address: 70 Macquarie Street, , Glen Innes New South Wales, 2370

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The current Church was dedicated on 8 December 1920 by the Moderator General, Rev. James Gibson, to be known as the Cameron Memorial Church as a monument to the late Rev. Archibald Cameron. A Foundation stone in part reads, " The Cameron Memorial Church erected to the Glory of God and as a tribute to the…

Read More

Glen Innes, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Glen Innes, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1914

Address: 76 Meade Street, , Glen Innes New South Wales, 2370

The Parish of Glen Innes, one of the oldest in the Diocese, was set up as a centre of administration of the Church of England when Bishop Tyrrell appointed the Rev. G. C. Bode to be the first Vicar of the Parish in 1858. The first section of the present Church was built in 1868. It consisted of the present Nave built of granite and…

Read More

Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1914

Address: 1 Victoria Street, , Grafton New South Wales,

The Church was destroyed by fire on April 29, 1913. Opened by Bishop O'Connor, of Armidale on Sunday, November 29, 1914, in the presence of church hierarchy from as far afield as Melbourne. Built of red brick and stucco facing is very handsome in its Gothic design, large in size, length and breadth and in the usual cruciform shape. The…

Read More

Grong Grong, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Grong Grong, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Barellan & Willandra Streets, , Grong Grong New South Wales, 2652

Constructed of brick the church foundation stone was laid on 20 September 1911 by Mrs Bridaoake.

Read More

Gungal, NSW - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Gungal, NSW - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 2757 Golden Highway, , Gangul New South Wales, 2333

A plaque reads, "Celebrating the Centenary of St Anthony's Catholic Church 1911 - 2011".

Read More

Guyra, NSW - St James' Anglican

Guyra, NSW - St James' Anglican

Year Built: 1913

Address: 64 Ollera Street, , Guyra New South Wales, 2365

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rt Rev H.E. Cooper D.D. Lord Bishop of Grafton and Armidale on Wednesday 26th November 1913".

Read More

Hamilton, QLD - St Augustine's Anglican

Hamilton, QLD - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1920

Address: 56 Racecourse Road, , Hamilton Queensland, 4007

The Church was built as a thank-offering to God for deliverance and peace, and as a War Memorial Church to the valour, sacrifice and endurance of Australian men and women who served in the Great War. The present red brick, rectangular church, erected due east and west of the site, was completed in 1920 at a cost of £6,392 including seats.…

Read More

Harden, NSW - Ross Memorial Uniting

Harden, NSW - Ross Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: 52 Derby Street, , Harden New South Wales, 2587

Formerly a Presbyterian church it was erected by Mr and Mrs William E. Ross as a gift and in memory of their parent. The Church was opened on 15 December 1915 by the Right Reverend R. Scott West State Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Australia.

Read More

Heathcote, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Heathcote, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Corner Ebden & Pohlman Street, , Heathcote Victoria, 3523

The first priest to administer to the catholics in the Heathcote area was the Rev. Fr. Charles Clarke, who had arrived in Kilmore on April 20 1849. It was at this time that the Bishop of Melbourne, James Alipius Goold, created Kilmore a separate mission from Melbourne. His Parish extended all the way to Gisborne, Woodend, Kyneton,…

Read More

Henty, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Henty, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1917

Address: Corner Ivor & Day Streets, , Henty New South Wales, 2658

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend E.A Anderson D.D. Bishop of the Riverina on 14 February 1917.

Read More

Heyfield, VIC - St Jame's Anglican

Heyfield, VIC - St Jame's Anglican

Year Built: 1920

Address: 40 Temple Street, , Heyfield Victoria, 3858

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God and in memory of the men who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War 1914 - 1918 This Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend A.V. Green D.D. May 20th 1920".

Read More

Heyfield, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Heyfield, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: George Street, , Heyfield , 3859

The first Church was opened in 1889. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This memorial stone of St Michael's Church was blessed by The Most Revd Patrick Phelan D.D. Bishop of Sale August 20th 1916".

Read More

Hurlstone Park, NSW - Uniting

Hurlstone Park, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: 1 Melford Street, , Hurlstone Park New South Wales, 2193

The Official Opening of the Church took place on Saturday, December 7th, 1912. The Church doors were opened by Mrs. Fred Currie (wife of the builder).

Read More

Kempton, TAS - St Peter's Catholic (Former)

Kempton, TAS - St Peter's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1918

Address: 111 Main Street, , Kempton Tasmania, 7030

The Church was built in 1918 to replace an earlier wooden chapel. The design for the church was proposed by the leading architect Allan Cameron Walker who studied under Henry Hunter. It had been intended that the church would cost £1600 but by the time the church was finally finished in 1921 the cost had blown out to £11,400. A large…

Read More

Kew, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Kew, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 116 Cotham Road, , Kew Victoria, 3101

The history of the church goes back to 1872 when Jesuits purchased land in Walpole Street. By 1875 Archbishop Gould had laid a foundation stone on 14 February for a school. Early services for local Catholics were held in Richmond, Collingwood and later Hawthorn. By 1899 the land for the current church was purchased after a donation by Mr…

Read More

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St George's Anglican

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1917

Address: 273 Rossiter Road, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981

The first Anglican service was held on October 7, 1897. The foundation stone of St George’s was laid by the Bishop of Gippsland, Arthur Wellesley, and it was dedicated on December 7 1917. St George’s Church was designed by Louis Williams of North and Williams. The Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by…

Read More

Lake Wendouree, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Lake Wendouree, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1911

Address: 1420 Sturt Street, , Lake Wendouree Victoria, 3350

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God This stone was laid by Mr Donald M. McKenzie J.P. and Miss Annie McKenzie 1st September 1911".

Read More

Leadville, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican (Former)

Leadville, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1915

Address: Stewart Street, , Leadville New South Wales, 2844

The first St. Matthew's Anglican Church at Leadville, was a slab construction on the side of the now closed Post Office in Garland Street. The land on which this Church stood was acquired by the Trustees, George Henry Cox, Edward James Lowe and William Latimer on 11th April 1892, and it is thought the Church was built very shortly…

Read More