Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1951 and 1960


Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Ewing Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The first service was held in the home of Mr F Fiedler and conducted by Pastor J Sabel in 1933. Later that year a congregation was formed. Services were moved to the Protestant Hall in 1945. This hall was later purchased renovated and dedicated on 23 September 1956. This building was not sufficient and it was decided in 1959 a proposal…

Read More

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 34 Moore Street, , Katamatite Victoria, 3649

The Katamatite church is representative of a remarkable period of architectural experimentation during the postwar years, wherein new materials and technologies provided architects with cheaper means and mechanisms of construction. Designed by Architectural practice Muir and Shepherd. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God…

Read More

Kedron, QLD - Church of Christ

Kedron, QLD - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1959

Address: 12 Emerald Street, , Kedron Queensland, 4031

Brisbane North was actually formed in 1992, being an amalgamation of Albion Church of Christ, meeting at McLennan Street Albion, and Kedron Church of Christ, meeting at the current location. The Albion church was established in 1911, and one of the churches it eventually “gave birth” to was the Kedron congregation, established in 1929…

Read More

Kedron, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Kedron, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1957

Address: 96 Lekie Road, , Kedron Queensland, 4031

A Foundation stone reads, " Kedron Methodist memorial Church to the Glory of God to Memorial to all those who served and those who died in world wars 1914 - 1918, 1939 - 1945, and Korea 1950 - 1952. And in gratitude to pioneers of the Church This stone was laid by Rev S.Y Potter BA BD President of the Conference Rev L.S. Hiscock L Th…

Read More

Keith, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Keith, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Poplar Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The first Lutheran's recorded in the Keith area were that of J August Rohde's family in 1888. Between then and 1948 a visiting Pastor conducted services in the Keith area. Between then and the close of the Second World War there is no records of Lutheran activities in the Keith area. The first substantive service was held on 15 August…

Read More

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 59 Tozer Street, , Kempsey New South Wales, 2440

Formerley a Methodist Church it was built in 1953, with the foundation stones laid by Frank O. Secomb and the Revd Wesley Tredinnick.

Read More

Kew East, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Kew East, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: Beresford Street, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

The current church was built in 1957 combining modern and traditional elements of a basilica forms and tower with a stripped back modernity. Built of common building material of brick. A Foundation stone was laid on August 10, 1930, by Archbishop Mannix laid for the original church. It was declared a separate parish in January 1937 when…

Read More

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Windella Avenue, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

St Paul’s Parish Hall, built in 1925 represents the first building for the newly created parochial district of East Kew after its split from the districts of Holy Trinity and St Hilary’s in Kew. The 1960 church by Earle and Bunbury is a good example of a Modern Post-war church in the round. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Immortal…

Read More

Killara, NSW - St Martin's Anglican

Killara, NSW - St Martin's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 9B Arnold Street, , Killara New South Wales, 2071

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Most Reverend Hugh Gough OBE DD Archbishop of Sydney and metropolitan 30th August 1959".

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - St Thomas' War Memorial Anglican

Kingsgrove, NSW - St Thomas' War Memorial Anglican

Year Built: 1952

Address: Morgan Street, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

The Church was built in 1952, beside the former St Thomas' Anglican Church that had been dedicated in 1941. Reverend Geoffrey Mitchell Fletcher (1921–2013) arranged the architect for the building and, as a special favour, Professor Wilkinson donated his services free. The Church includes the Chinese Southwest Christian Church.

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - Uniting

Kingsgrove, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Moreton Avenue & Kingsgrove Road, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

Around 1939 land was secured at a total cost of £360.04.07, which included the necessary legal fees, survey fees and rates, and the building was constructed by Messrs. W. Lilley and Son, to plans drawn up by Messrs. Brown and Mowbray, Official Church Architects. The first service in the Church was held on 30th July 1939, and was…

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - St Therese Catholic

Kingston SE, SA - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: McDonnell Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The original Foundation stone was laid on 1 March 1959 by the very Reverend J.W. Gleeson D.D. The current Church was dedicated on 19 December 2009 by the most Reverend Phillip Wilson D.D. J.C.L. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Kyneton, VIC - Baptist (Former)

Kyneton, VIC - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1952

Address: 5 Piper Street, , Kyneton Victoria, 3444

Read More

Kyogle, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Kyogle, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 156 Summerland Way, , Kyogle New South Wales, 2474

A Foundation stone reads, "Our Lady of Sorrows Church This foundation stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev Patrick J Farrelly DD Bishop of Lismore on Sunday 5th August 1956 Feast of Our Lady of the Sorrows". A plaque reads, "This Church has been erected as a memorial to members of The Armed Services who lost their lives in World Wars…

Read More

Kyogle, NSW - Uniting

Kyogle, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 14 Bloore Street, , Kyogle New South Wales, 2474

A Foundation stone reads, "This foundation stone was set to the Glory of God by Rev A T Newton 17th Aug 1957 A R Lewis MBChM H R A Boyd JP Circuit Stewards". A plaque reads, "This centre was officially opened and dedicated to the Glory of God on 3rd December 1966 by Rev S John Bowles L Th Dip RE H R A Boyd, A G Towns Circuit Stewards…

Read More

Lakemba, NSW - Baptist

Lakemba, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1952

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was unveiled to the Glory of God by A.A. Mosely Esq President Baptist Union NSW Rev A Driver Minister 13th December 1952".

Read More

Lang Lang, VIC - St John's Anglican

Lang Lang, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 6 Whitstable Street, , Lang Lang Victoria, 3984

The old church was transported from another site. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rt Rev David Arthur Garnsey M.A. Th. D. Fifth Bishop of Gippsland on 28th February 1959. Louis R Williams F.R.A.I.A. Architect - H.B. Kirby B.A. Thl Rector".

Read More

Langwarrin, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Langwarrin, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Warrandyte & North Roads, , Langwarrin Victoria, 3910

The original church was a former World War 1 army hut. By 1960 it was decided to look at constructing a new church. A substantial donation by Nevil Shute Norway helped in the process. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1963 by R.W. Dann B.A. The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Caldwell. The church was built by John Wolt…

Read More

Lavington, NSW - St Peter's Lutheran

Lavington, NSW - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: 367 Urana Road, , Lavington New South Wales, 2641

A Foundation stone reads, " St Peter's EV Lutheran Church Thy Kingdom Come Matth 6 : 10 Laid to the Glory of God by Rev B.E. Bartholomaeus August 21st 1960".

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Cypress & Sycamore Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 September 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines Moderator of the General Assembly of NSW.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: Wade Avenue, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

A brick church the design of which was by Architects S.J. O'Halloran. The builder was T.J. Ashton. The Foundation stone was laid on 1 May 1955 by the Most Reverend F.A. Henschke D.D.

Read More

Liverpool, NSW - Uniting

Liverpool, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 28 Pirie Street, , Liverpool New South Wales, 2170

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was set by Thomas Sunderland 19th November 1960".

Read More

Lockington, VIC - St Canice Catholic

Lockington, VIC - St Canice Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 27 Singer Road, , Lockington New South Wales, 2731

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Canice This Foundation stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev Bernard Stewart D.D. B.A. LL.B Bishop of Sandhurst 28th July 1957".

Read More

Longreach, QLD - St Andrew's Anglican

Longreach, QLD - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 144 Emu Street, , Longreach Queensland, 4730

The St Andrew's Bush Brotherhood was established in 1897 in Longreach, Queensland, by the Bishop of Stepney, Canon Body and the Bishop of Rockhampton, Nathaniel Dawes. The first group of brothers was led by the Reverend George Halford. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid in the faith of Jesus Christ. In the name…

Read More

Longreach, QLD - St Brigid's Catholic

Longreach, QLD - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 103 Emu Street, , Longreach Queensland, 4730

The first Catholic Church in Longreach was a humble 15 x 39 foot structure made of iron, and was only meant to be used temporarily. The first purpose built church was overseen by Fr William Hanley. It was consecrated by Bishop Cani on 23 June 1895. The iron building was sold for removal. By the early 1910s, a larger church was required.…

Read More

Lorne, VIC - Our Lady Fatima Catholic

Lorne, VIC - Our Lady Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: Smith Street, , Lorne Victoria, 3232

The Foundation stone was laid by the Most Reverend J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 15 January 1956. The architect was Alan Robertson and the builder was P McBride.

Read More

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: 32 Edward Street, , Magill South Australia, 5072

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 December 1953 by Pastor O.H. Adler.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Baptist

Mannum, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1956

Address: William Street, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

The Church is constructed of local stone. A foundation stone was laid on the rear addition to the church on 3 June 1956 by Pastor J Doehler.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Uniting

Mannum, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Walker Avenue, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

Formerly a Methodist church. A Foundation stone was laid on 19 June 1954 by Rev G.S. Wellington President of the Conference.

Read More

Matraville, NSW - Baptist

Matraville, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1957

Address: 1 Austraalia Avenue, , Matraville New South Wales, 2036

A wall plaque reads, " This plaque was unveiled to the Glory of God by Mr J. C. Mackay President Baptist Union of N.S.W. 12th January 1957".

Read More

Meningie, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Meningie, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1953

Address: Princes Highway, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

The Church was built in memory of Margaret H. Bowman (1953).

Read More

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: West Terrace, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

Lutheran services in the area go back to 1931 when Pastor T.G. Obst held services in a private home in Narrung. Services were also held in Wood Well. By the 1950's services were held in the Anglican church by Pastor Leo Doecke. On 5 May 1957 it was decided at a meeting to form a separate ELCA congregation from that of the Tailem Bend…

Read More

Meningie, SA - Uniting

Meningie, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 2 Princes Highway, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1958 by Herbert Bruce Hackett JP.

Read More

Mentone, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Mentone, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1958

Address: 10 Rogers Street, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

The Parish of Mentone was created in 1904, when the area encompassing Mentone, Parkdale, Cheltenham, Highett, Beaumaris, Sandringham, Mordialloc, Edithvale and Chelsea was cut off from the “Brighton Mission”, which was ministered by priests residing in the present Parish of St James Gardenvale. The specially selected Glen Iris bricks…

Read More

Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran

Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: Maitland Road, , Minlaton South Australia, 5575

The first records of Lutheran services were recorded on the York Peninsula in the 1870's. In 1882 a Mr Johann Golthilf Bothe moved in to the area and built a Lutheran church on his property which was several miles north of the cemetery. Prior to this, services were held in several private homes including Schwarz's Farm. By March 19 1882…

Read More

Mitcham, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Mitcham, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 18 Edward Street, , Mitcham Victoria, 3132

Former Christ Church. The Church was created in 1888 and a timber church building was erected that year. In 1958 a new church was built on the adjacent site and the 1888 church was subsequently used as the parish hall. All Saints (former Christ Church) Anglican Church, was designed in 1958 by Raymond Berg, a modernist architect who…

Read More

Mitcham, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Mitcham, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: 67 Rooks Road, , Mitcham Victoria, 3131

A Foundation stone reads, "The Glory of God 13 November 1960". The Chinese Evangelical Formosan Church share this building.

Read More

Mitcham, VIC St John's Catholic

Mitcham, VIC St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 490 Whitehorse Road, , Mitcham Victoria, 3132

In order to help the first Catholic families and to attend to their spiritual needs, Fr. William Mason Finn, who had a horse, travelled from the district of Warringal (now Heidelberg) and called on the families he knew to be Catholics, His parish extended from Warringal to the foothills of Mount Dandenong. One of the earliest priests…

Read More

Molong, NSW - Uniting

Molong, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 57 Edward Street, , Molong New South Wales, 2866

Molong was first opened up from Bathurst as a preach ing place about 1 849. In that year the Rev. Benjamin Chapman jeported that “the mines at Molong and Bathurst had been supplied with ministerial labour once a month. The stone church was built in 1858, at a cost of £743. The transept and vestry were added subsequently. A Foundation…

Read More

Mont Albert North, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Mont Albert North, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Bundora & Rostrevor Parade, , Mont Albert North Victoria, 3129

The Church is of rectangular form with a distinctive parabolic arch entrance to the gabled front porch. Payne designed a number of religious buildings for the Catholic Church, including St Paschal’s Chapel in Box Hill. The foundation stone of St Augustine’s Hall was laid in April 1929 was designed by Architects Gawler and Drummond in…

Read More