Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


West Footscray, VIC - Baptist

West Footscray, VIC - Baptist

Address: 72 Stanhope Street, , West Footscray Victoria, 3012

The Church began in 1940.

Read More

West Footscray, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

West Footscray, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 141 Essex Street, , West Footscray Victoria, 3012

The original church was built in 1927 and then the current building was constructed in 1957.

Read More

West Footscray, VIC Uniting (Former)

West Footscray, VIC Uniting (Former)

Address: 557 Barkly Street, , West Footscray Victoria, 3012

The Church was demolished around 2021.

Read More

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: Mercer Street, , Geelong West Victoria, 3218

On the 25's October 1849, Acting Vicar-General, Rev. N.J. Coffey applied for 2 acres of land near the village of Ashby. The-Governors finally approved the grant on 25 October 1850. By 1855, a brick school had been built on the site now occupied by the Presbytery. The school was used as a venue to celebrate mass on Sundays and holidays of…

Read More

West Heidelberg, VIC - Uniting

West Heidelberg, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner St Hellier & Edwin Streets, , West Heidelberg Victoria,

The original church building was built in 1925.

Read More

West Hindmarsh, SA - Uniting

West Hindmarsh, SA - Uniting

The first move for the building of a Methodist Church was made by the Parkside Quarterly Meeting on June 26, 1901, when the Superintendent, Rev. J. Cowperthwaite, Circuit Stewards, Messrs. E.B. Colton and R.T. Burnard, and Messrs. Stoyel, Ding, Spencer, Hinsley and Cotton were appointed to report on extension of Methodism at Fullarton…

Read More

West Hoxton, NSW - Anglican

West Hoxton, NSW - Anglican

Address: 1 LaTrobe Road, , West Hoxton New South Wales, 2171

Read More

West Hoxton, NSW - Liverpool Baptist

West Hoxton, NSW - Liverpool Baptist

Address: 38 Twenty Second Avenue, , West Hoxton Victoria, 2171

Read More

West Ivanhoe, VIC - St Bernadette's Catholic

West Ivanhoe, VIC - St Bernadette's Catholic

Address: Bond Street, , West Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

Read More

West Lakes, SA - Uniting

West Lakes, SA - Uniting

Address: Bartley Terrace, , West Lakes South Australia, 5021

Read More

West Mackay, QLD - St Charles Anglican

West Mackay, QLD - St Charles Anglican

Year Built: 1984

Address: McGinn Street, , West Mackay Queensland, 4740

A plaque reads, " This War memorial Church Saint Charles, King, Martyr was dedicated by the Bishop of North Queensland The Right Reverend John Lewis SSM, BD, ThL on 14th Oct 1984". Another plaque reads " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by HRH Princess Alice GGVO CBE Countess of Athlone in memory of those who fell in the Second World War ,…

Read More

West Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

West Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: 33 Howard Street, , North Melbourne Victoria, 3051

The foundation stone for the first church was laid on 14 of May 1854. The church was a modest graceful stone building, which was completed in six months at a cost of 4,400. It was intended to be a place of worship on Sundays and a Catholic school during the week. The current Church considered to be the largest parish church in…

Read More

West Pennant Hills, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

West Pennant Hills, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: 1 New Line Road, , West Pennant Hills New South Wales, 2125

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this foundation stone was set by the Most Revd H.W.K. Mowll GMC DD Archbishop of Sydney 19th May 1956 R P Rector". A further plaque reads, " This foundation stone was set in the original church hall which was demolished in 1988. It was reset in this position on Sunday 21st May 2006 during St…

Read More

West Preston, VIC - Baptist

West Preston, VIC - Baptist

Address: Cramer Street, , West Preston Victoria, 3072

The church was opened on December 10, 1927 and was constituted on January 22, 1928 by Rev. H.H.Jeffs.

Read More

West Pymble, NSW - St Matthews Anglican

West Pymble, NSW - St Matthews Anglican

Address: 2 Eppleston Place, , West Pymble New South Wales, 2073

Read More

West Tamworth, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

West Tamworth, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1930

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was solemnly blessed and laid by The Right Rev Count P.J. O'Connor D.D. Bishop of Armidale on Palm Sunday April 13 1930".

Read More

West Tamworth, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

West Tamworth, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 18 Church Street, , West Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

The St Paul's Anglican Church, West Tamworth is part of the Parish of West Tamworth and the Diocese of Armidale.

Read More

West Tamworth, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

West Tamworth, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1888

Address: 79 Denison Street, , West Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

Read More

West Tamworth, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

West Tamworth, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1970

Address: 18B Matthews Street, , West Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this plaque was unveiled by the Rev James Bruce 0n 7th June 1970 Minster R.E. McLeod Session Clerk R.N. Hamilton".

Read More

West Tamworth, NSW - Uniting

West Tamworth, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1888

Address: 79 Denison Street, , West Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

Just 16 years after the Wesley Church was completed in Tamworth in 1872, steps were taken to build a Church in West Tamworth. In 1888 with Rev. J.G. Middleton as Superintendent Minister, the President of the NSW - Queensland Wesleyan Conference, Rev. George Lane, set the foundation stone of a brick Church in Denison Street on 28th August.…

Read More

West Townsville, QLD - St Mary's Catholic

West Townsville, QLD - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: Ingham Street, , West Townsville Queensland,

The Church was designed by the Rooney Brothers and built by Cowell & Holt in 1888. When St Mary's was erected by contractors Cowell & Holt in 1888, it was a simple rectangular structure with a nave and entrance porch. The present cedar pews in the nave date from this period. Major alterations to the church were carried out in 1923 by…

Read More

West Townsville, QLD - Uniting

West Townsville, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 71 Ingham Road, , West Townsville Queensland, 4810

The first West End (Methodist) Church was a weatherboard building built and opened in 1886 on the corner of Flinders Street West and Church Street. A Foundation stone reads, " West End Methodist Memorial Church To the Glory of God and in memory of those who served their country 1914 - 1918 1939 - 1945 and as a tribute to the early…

Read More

West Wodonga, VIC - Anglican

West Wodonga, VIC - Anglican

Address: Emerald Avenue, , West Wodonga Victoria, 3690

As of 2010 also used as a Uniting Church.

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - Immanuel Lutheran

West Wyalong, NSW - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1968

Address: 15 Park Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1968 by Reverend N.C. Sander.

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian

West Wyalong, NSW - Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian

Address: 23 Court Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

West Wyalong, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: Corner England & Court Streets, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

West Wyalong, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: 47 Church Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

‘Rev. John Fogarty was appointed resident priest in 1894, and built an iron church (the ‘tinny’) in 1894, which was replaced by a brick church-school in 1912. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1896 to conduct school in the ‘tinny’. A fine brick Romanesque church was opened at West Wyalong on 21 July 1929 under Rev. Garrett Shannon.’

Read More

Westbury, TAS - Baptist

Westbury, TAS - Baptist

Address: 53 Franklin Street, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

Read More

Westbury, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Westbury, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Address: 11 Lonsdale Promenade, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

St. Andrew's was (Hagley/Westbury parish), was part of the parish of Norfolk Plains in early days), The first services were held in the watch house, holding twenty to fifty people. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 8136 and the church opened in 1842. It was consecrated in March 1851. The chancel and tower were added in…

Read More

Westbury, TAS Holy Trinity Catholic

Westbury, TAS Holy Trinity Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: 94 Meander Valley Road, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

Father James Hogan was the first resident priest of the church. He was instrumental in the building of the Holy Trinity Church, aiding the escape of Irish rebel John Mitchel (1853) and establishing Tasmania's first Convent of the Sisters of St Joseph at Westbury in 1887. The Church was designed by Henry Hunter, Tasmania's most prolific…

Read More

Westbury, TAS Uniting

Westbury, TAS Uniting

Address: 63 William Street, , Westbury Tasmania, 7303

The first Wesleyan church at Westbury was built in 1840. One acre of ground was granted by the Surveyor - General under a location order to Rev's J Orton, J.A. Manton and W Simpson at Westbury on 15 November 1837. On this land in the year 1840 a chapel had been built costing £125.00 Although by 1851 the building proved to be too small…

Read More

Westmead, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Westmead, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 14 Ralph Street, , Westmead New South Wales, 2145

This Church is part of a School with a foundation stone that reads," A.M.D.G This School Church dedicated to the Sacred Heart was blessed and opened on March 28th 1954. N.T. Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney Rev J. Collins Pastor".

Read More

Westmead, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Westmead, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 75 Hawkesbury, , Westmead New South Wales, 2145

St Barnabas' Anglican Church traces its beginnings back to 1912 when home Sunday School classes were commenced at Westmead. A property at 75 Hawkesbury Road was acquired in 1936 and the hall where the church had previously met was moved to that site. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Most…

Read More

Weston, ACT - Church of Christ

Weston, ACT - Church of Christ

Address: 2 Parkinson Street, , Weston Australian Capital Teritory, 2611

Read More

Weston, ACT - Presbyterian
Weston, ACT - St Peter's Anglican

Weston, ACT - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 1 Watling Place, , Weston Australian Capital Territory, 2611

In 1980 Rev Joe Mullins formed a small committee consisting of Tom Cook, Don Barr, David Marlow and Patrick Doyle to investigate the possibility of constructing a Church Building. They also facilitated the purchase of a block of land for $13,000. With a short term loan it was decided to complete the church by St Peter's Day 1983.

Read More

Weston, ACT - Uniting

Weston, ACT - Uniting

Address: 16 Parkinson Street, , Weston Australian Capital Territory, 2611

Read More

Westwood, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Westwood, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 4529 Capricron Highway, , Westwood Queensland, 4717

The Daily Northern Argus reported on 7 October 1896 that, The ceremony of blessing and dedicating the new Roman Catholic Church at Westwood was performed last Sunday morning. The dignatories were the Right Rev Dr. Cani, the Bishop of the Diocese, the Rev Father D. Ryan, of Barcaldine, and the Rev Father Loretucci. The Church was…

Read More

Wheelers Hill, VIC - Good Shepherd Catholic

Wheelers Hill, VIC - Good Shepherd Catholic

Address: 30 Academy Avenue, , Wheelers Hill Victoria, 3150

Read More

Wheelers Hill, VIC - St Justin's Catholic

Wheelers Hill, VIC - St Justin's Catholic

Year Built: 1995

Address: 48 Whalley Drive, , Wheelers Hill Victoria, 3150

A plaque on the wall reads, " Blessed and Opened by Archbishop Frank Little 25th October 1995 A place for word and Sacrament Parish of St Justin Wheelers Hill".

Read More