Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Denomination: Anglican


Bremer Bay, WA - Holy Cross Catholic & Anglican

Bremer Bay, WA - Holy Cross Catholic & Anglican

Address: 11 Mary Street, , Bremer Bay Western Australia, 6338

In 1849 the Western Australian Surveyor General, John Septimus Roe, named the tiny port after Sir James John Gordon Bremer, the captain of the HMS Tamar. Roe had served under Bremer from 1824-1827.

Read More

Bridgeman Downs, QLD - Anglican

Bridgeman Downs, QLD - Anglican

Address: 30 Ridley Road, , Bridgeman Downs Queensland, 4035

Read More

Bridgewater on London, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Bridgewater on London, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 44 Calder Highway, , Bridgewater on London Victoria, 3516

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Address: Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Address: 19 Old Main Road, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7140

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Bright, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Bright, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 1 Church Street, , Bright Victoria, 3741

Read More

Brighton Beach, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Brighton Beach, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 77 Were Street, , Brighton Beach Victoria, 3186

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Brighton Beach’s Anglicans worshipped at St Peter’s Chapel of Ease in Lynch Street, which formed part of the Parish of Saint Andrews in Brighton.

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Address: 443 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Brighton, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Corner Church & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The first church was built in 1842 with a second Church having been built in 1850-51 by the architect Charles Lang. The third is comprised of bluestone with seven bays to the design of architect Charles Webb in 1856-57. A more modern section at the rear has been added after a fire totally destroyed the complex in 1961.

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The (new) Church was opened on 26 April 1874. It was built by a Mr Woods. In 1892 Kilmore and Broadford seperated and on Easter Sunday the Rev H. Braddock was inducted as Broadford's first resident Priest. The Church was consecrated 19 years after it opened by Bishop Goe.

Read More

Broome, WA - Anglican

Broome, WA - Anglican

Address: Corner Hass & Hamersley Street, , Broome Western Australia, 6725

Read More

Broomehill, WA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Broomehill, WA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Address: 16 - 2 Janitor Street, , Broomehill Western Australia, 6318

The Foundation stone was laid 18 April 1953. The Church was the former Police Station and Courthouse, a single-storey brick and iron building. It is one of the oldest buildings in Broomehill and contributes to the community’s sense of place. The altar is constructed of bricks from the old 1884 Eticup Church. The Church took it name…

Read More

Brunswick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Brunswick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 6 Glenlyon Road, , Brunswick Victoria, 3056

A stucco rendered brick Church of cruciform plan and detached campanile was erected in four stages between 1857 and 1875. Architects were Purchas and Sawyer who designed the nave in 1857. Smith and Watts completed the transfers, chancel and vestry between 1863 and 1864 and the campanile between 1870 and 1871. Whilst Frederick Wyatt was…

Read More

Bruthen, VIC - Anglican

Bruthen, VIC - Anglican

Address: 7 Church Street, , Bruthen Victoria, 3885

The Vicarage was acquired approximately in 1892. The Parish hall was built in 1966. Over 400 people attended the opening.

Read More

Buckland, TAS St John the Baptist Anglican

Buckland, TAS St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: 1 Duke Street, , Buckland Tasmania, 7190

On 22nd March, 1846, Mr. Cox conducted the first Service in the Buckland Parish, and the only place in which it could be held was the local Police Station. as conducting his Services in a solid little stone Sunday School, and as if this were not enough, the foundation stone had been laid of a Church, which was in later years to be known…

Read More

Bulahdelah, NSW - St John's Anglican

Bulahdelah, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1912

Address: 59 Stroud St, , Bulahdelah New South Wales, 2423

The first place of worship in Bulaheldah was the Church of England School building under the umbrella of the Parish of Stroud. The Church was built in 1912

Read More

Bulla, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Bulla, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Bulla Road, , Bulla Victoria, 3428

The land was donated by Anne Greene of Woodlands Homestead. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry on 15 January 1850 but has never been found. A Gothic church of random coursed squared bluestone rubble designed by Thomas M Taylor and opened in 1858. The church was originally situated on the corner of Oaklands and Bulla Roads.…

Read More

Bulleen, VIC - St Timothy's Anglican

Bulleen, VIC - St Timothy's Anglican

Address: 169 Thompson's Road, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105

Before it was known as St. Timothy’s Anglican Church Bulleen, the Bulleen Anglican Centre was situated in an empty grocer’s shop in the Kalay Shopping Centre. The location of services was later moved to the doctor’s surgery adjacent to the original shop. On July 29, 1962, the Vicar announced that the Bishop had approved the name of…

Read More

Bundoora, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Bundoora, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Corner Grimshaw Street & Alma Road, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083

The first recorded meeting of the parish was held on the 27th of June 1962 and the first service was held in the Bundoora Hall on August 19th 1962. On the 16th of December 1967 the corner stone for the Hall/Chapel building was laid.

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 335 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

A meeting of locals was held in November of 1865 and the committee decided to purchase land where todays church is located. The first church service was held at Mr Benham's home on 6 January 1867. In April, 1866 it was proposed that the church be of stone, 25 feet by 40 feet with a hardwood floor and shingle roof. The walls to be 18…

Read More

Bungendore, NSW - St Phillip's Anglican

Bungendore, NSW - St Phillip's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Gibraltar Street, , Bungendore New South Wales, 2621

The Church was erected in 1864 and is of the Victorian Free Gothic style. The walls are constructed of rock faced ashlar and the jointing is of fine pointing. The steep pitched timber frame gable roof is clad with asbestos shingles. Walls feature high pointed Gothic windows which are complimented by arched sandstone block work to window…

Read More

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1902

Address: 26 A'Beckett Street, , Bunyip Victoria, 3815

The Bunyip Parish of St. Thomas' was originally part of the Gippsland Fort mission in 1879 and early church services were held In Kraft's Hall. By the early 1890': a-proper church was being planned, and fund raising began In December 1891. On 15 October 1902, Mrs W. A. A'Beckett Snr of Brighton laid the foundation block for the new…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The…

Read More

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Year Built: 1969

Address: Corner Blackburn Road & Witchwood Street, , Burwood East Victoria, 3151

The Church was dedicated on Ascension day in 1969 by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Frank Woods.

Read More

Bushy Park, St Augustines Anglican

Bushy Park, St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 388 Gordon River Road, , Bushy Park Tasmania, 7140

The Foundation stone was laid by Rt Rev J Edward Mercer D.D. Bishop of Tasmania on July 20th 1904. Reverend Walter Hooker was inducted Rector on this day and he remained until 1908. As early as 1895 services were held in the railway waiting room while being financially supported by the New Norfolk parish with R.W.G. Shoobridge deeding…

Read More

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Maroondah Highway, , Buxton Victoria, 3711

The Church was consecrarted on 3 May 1895 by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124

The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 2 November 1957 by Reverend CRC Tidmarsh. The Architect was Loius Williams and the builder was CA Johnson.

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Address: 163 Wattle Valley Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Reverend G.T. Sambell on October 23rd 1966 to mark the building of extensions to complete this church".

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,

The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Church & Fergusson Streets, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months. The Church was built in three stages with chancel and…

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Anzac Square, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John Charles Wright D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 22 April 1911.

Read More

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

The Church was licenced and dedicated on 29 February 1928.

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Canowindra, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Address: Lola Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

The church tower was a gift of Emma Robinson on the death of Hilton Robinson.

Read More

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Canterbury New South Wales, 2193

Built on part of Robert Campbell's Canterbury estate on land donated by his daughter Sophia Ives Campbell. The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket. Built from local sandstone it was completed between 1858 and 1859 and consecrated on 12 April 1860. Of Gothic Revival Church style with steeply pitched roof which was originally covered…

Read More

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 4 Urquhart Street, , Carisbrook Victoria, 3464

Anglican services were first held in Carisbrook in 1851. In 1854 church services and a school were conducted in the Parish Hall. In 1864 - 1866 the present blue stone church was erected. The interior was renovated in 1966 and the vestry was added in 1972. On October 2015 St Paul’s Carisbrook was deconsecrated as a place of worship,…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Joseph Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September…

Read More