Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 624 Oxley Road, , Corinda Queensland, 4075
A local architect, Mr Geo Trotter jnr, prepared the plans for the first Church and supervised the construction, which was carried out by Mr William Ross. The original contract was for five hundred and twenty-three pounds, plus the cost of the gallery and seating. Additionally, a further nineteen pounds was directed to incidental expenses.…
Year Built: 1920
Address: 23 Parade Place, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646
The current church was erected on the site of the first church which was built in 1875. While it was being built, Mass was celebrated in the school. It cost £9,000 to construct and built of brick with an imposing front elevation. Almost at the summit is a canopied niche, containing a magnificent statue of the Sacred heart in white Carara…
Year Built: 1965
Address: 52 Clarence Street, , Cowper New South Wales, 2460
A Foundation stone reads, "Mary Immaculate Church Bishop P J Farrelly DD solemnly blessed and laid the foundation stone on Sunday 13-12-1964". A stone reads, "A M D G Bishop P J Farrelly DD solemnly blessed and dedicated this church as a memorial to the members of the armed services who lost their lives in World Wars I & II 23-5-1965".
Year Built: 1875
Address: Lachlan Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794
The first St Raphael's was built along Gothic lines and opened in 1861. The Architect was Edward Gell. Built entirely of stone it was dedicated by Archbishop Polding in 1865. It was replaced by a new church in 1875. The current and third church had its foundation stone laid in 1938 with the stone of the second church forming the…
Year Built: 1872
Address: 117 Napier Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363
Creswick Catholics were served first by priests who came form Ballarat when Ballarat itself was still part of Coburg parish. The first traceable ref isa newspaper note in 1855 was that Father Patrick Madden celebrated Mass at Creswick Creek on March 8, in the new store of Messrs. Carter and Walker. Father assisting Fr. Smyth. The latter…
Year Built: 1900
Address: Esk Street, , Crows Nest Queensland, 4355
The church was built, and opened in 1900, and named St Matthew's in honour of the donor of the land. The Sisters of St. Joseph to the Parish, and the building of the Convent school was opened on 15 July, 1917. As of 2007 the church did not have a resident Priest.
Year Built: 1939
Address: 35 Wicklow Avenue, , Croydon Victoria, 3136
The Sacred Heart Croydon Monastery was officially opened on Monastery Hill by Archbishop Mannix in April 1939 - a new seminary for the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. The complex featured a chapel, library, cloisters, classrooms, refectory, kitchens and domestic offices. From its very origins, Monastery Hill has been a place where the…
Year Built: 1875
Address: 2535 Currawang Road, , Currawang New South Wales, 2580
A plaque reads, "The porch gate was designed & built by Andrew Rowlands in memory of his father Graham Richard Rowlands and his grandfather Roy Richard Rowlands this plaque was dedicated on Wednesday, 27 February 2000 St Matthias' Currawang 125th anniversary"
Year Built: 1940
Address: 34 Mary Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112
A Foundation stone attached to the building was laid on 18 February 1940 by his Grace the Archbishop of Hobart J.D. Simonds. The Church was opened on 6 October of the same year. The church was designed in the Moorish style.
Year Built: 1913
Address: 29 Banks Avenue, Daceyville, Daceyville New South Wales, 2032
Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…
Year Built: 1921
Address: Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405
Construction was begun in 1865 on the first Church using local clay for bricks, sourced from the creek's banks. not far from the site of the church. In October 1865, the Dalby Herald reported that construction of the church was "progressing favourably, the brick walls now having attained considerable altitude." However, with the desire to…
Address: 71 Gladstone Road, , Dandenong North Victoria, 3175
The Blessing of the site for the new Church took place on Sunday 20th October 1968 by Bishop Moran D.D. The church was built of modular steel and is dominated by a 50 ft. steeple. It was built by Kurth Bros. Pty. Ltd. of Mentone, and accommodates a congregation of 750.
Address: 160 Foster Street, , Dandenong Victoria, 3175
The present site was obtained in 1855 and the First Mass was said there in December 1864 by the same Archbishop in a tent. The next day, he laid the first stone for the first St. Mary’s Church, which was completed in 1866.
Year Built: 1986
Address: 24 Jerramatta Street, , Dapto New South Wales, 2530
A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of St John the Evangelist Church was blessed and set by The Most Reverend William E. Murray D.D. DSc Sc SOC Bishop of Wollongong on Sunday 28th September 1986. Rev J.T. Ward".
Year Built: 1925
Address: Hay Road, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027
The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1925 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga.
Year Built: 1863
Address: 13 Duke Street, , Daylesford Victoria, 3460
A Gothic church designed by Willilam Wardell in 1863 rather in the manner of Charles Hansom, but later degraded by the rebuilding of the west end after the collapse of the west wall and turret, The church is a simple form with a five bay gabled nave containing geometric decorated gothic windows and stepped buttressing. The gable roof…
Address: 72 Daylston Glen Forbes Road, , Dalyston Victoria, 3992
In 1901, the church was built on land donated by Mr P.J. Daly of 'Cloverdale'. It was opened in February 1902. It is now a Function centre and privately owned. The former Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church and presbytery are an subsantialy intact example of a rural church with simple Gothic revival detailing. The church is also notable for…
Year Built: 1955
Address: 10 Whitehorse Road, , Deepdene Victoria, 3103
The first building, on the Whitehorse Rd site, which is now part of the school, was used by the parish as both a church and school. The foundation stone of the first church was blessed by Archbishop Mannix on 26 November 1922. The construction of the current church began in the 1950s, when Fr Godwin was the parish priest. It was…
Year Built: 1889
Address: 20 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304
A stone above a doorway to the Church reads, " Pray for the soul of Rev Edward Francis Walsh 22 years Pastor of this Church who fortified with all the rites of Holy Church died December 4th 1902 in the 39th year of his Priesthood aged 64 years R.I.P.". A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Holy Redeemer blessed and dedicated by Most…
Address: Loch Street, , Derby Western Australia, 6728
Address: 59 Stewart Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310
The first Catholic church at Devonport was established at Torquay in 1870 on the east side of the Mersey River. One foundation reads, "A.M.D.C. To Commemorate the Golden Jubiin the Priesthood of the Ven Archdeacon Michael J Beechenor P.P. This Foundation stone was laid by the Most Rev Patrick Delany D.D. Archbishop of Hobart June 14…
Year Built: 1999
Address: 10 Dimar Court, , Dingley Victoria, 3172
A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of St Mark's was blessed ans consecrated to the greater honour and glory of God and the salvation of man on April 25tn 1999 by his Lordship Bishop Denis J. Hart D.D. with the dedication of the parishioners of St Mark's. Fr Anthony P Fox O.F.M. Conv Parish Priest. Fr Joseph Nguyen O.F.M. Conv…
Address: 23 Leeds Street, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109
Fr. Gleeson, the Parish Priest of Box Hill, purchased the present site of St Peter and Paul's in 1948 for 2,500 pounds, adjacent to a large block which had been bought in the post-war years by the government for release as housing sites for returned servicemen.
Year Built: 1983
Address: 71 Williamsons Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108
The Church was designed by architect Graeme Law and built by John Bergamin. It was dedicated by Archbishop Little on 17 December, 1983. The main structure of the roof is in the form of a cross and the lighting adds emphasis to it. A plaque on the wall reads, "On the Feast of St. Gregory the Great, to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary…