Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.
Organ Manufacturer: Whitehouse Brothers
Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1929
Address: 33 King Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
The first church was built in 1886 at a cost of £150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of £3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church.
Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic
Year Built: 1955
Address: 202 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060
The Foundation stone was laid on 25 September 1955 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane.
Ashgrove, QLD - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1951
Address: 286 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060
The foundation stone of this church was laid in July 1951, and the church was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Halse on 15 September 1952. Services had previously been held in the church hall for more than 25 years.1 The architect of the present church was Donald Bain of Brisbane.
Beaudesert, QLD - Uniting
Address: 1 Duckett Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285
Ministry of the Methodist/Uniting Church has operated in Beaudesert since regular church services commenced in January 1908. A Mr. Moorhouse conducted services occasionally in the town of Beaudesert. Those services were held in the home of Mr. & Mrs. S.R. LeGrand. In 1907 there were three names on the Methodist Members Roll for…
Bundaberg, QLD - Holy Rosary Catholic
Year Built: 1888
Address: 22 Barolin Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670
The first original timber church still stands in the Bundaberg Catholic Cemetery. The proprietor then was Walter Adams, Bundaberg’s first member to the Queensland Legislative Assembly. In 1876 the Sisters of Saint Joseph, founded by Saint Mary MacKillop, arrived in Bundaberg ahead of Father Rossolini who moved his residence from Mt…
Bundaberg, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)
Year Built: 1932
Address: 61 Woogarra Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670
Prominent Brisbane architect Lange L. Powell designed St Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Construction of the church in the early 1930s was a local work-generating scheme during a time of economic depression. The Church adopted a deliberate policy to ensure that funds for the construction of the church were spent on local labour and…
Bundaberg, QLD - Uniting
Year Built: 1937
Address: 34 Barolin Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670
The Church was opened in 1937.
Coorporoo, QLD - Presbyterian
Year Built: 1951
Address: 37 Emlyn Street, , Coorparoo Queensland, 4151
Presbyterian services in Coorparoo were held from 1926 in the Shire Hall under the care of the Kirk Session of St John's, Annerley, but within a few years a church was built and in 1931 Coorparoo became a separate charge.1 The present brick church was opened on 11 November 1951.
Eagle Junction, QLD - Uniting (Former)
Year Built: 1889
Address: 223 Bonney Avenue, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011
The Church was built in circa 1889 and in 1901, not wishing to be part of the amalgamation of the Methodist denominations into the new Methodist Church of Australasia, the congregation decided to became Eagle Junction Congregational Church. In 1975 Wooloowin Methodist Church amalgamated with Eagle Junction Congregational Church (at 211…
Goondiwindi, QLD - Holy Trinity Anglican
Year Built: 1944
Address: 43 Bowen Street, , Goondiwindi Queensland, 4390
The first Anglican service was held by Archdeacon Glennie at Wyaga in 1848, and there were station chapels at Umbercollie and Callandoon, it was not until January 1871 that public interest was raised to build a permanent church in Goondiwindi town. The first church on the present site was dedicated on 23 April 1882 by Bishop Hale. A…
Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1878
Address: 94 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360
In the beginning, services were conducted in the home of Mr. Colin Ross until 1857. This continued for a mere three years until a move was made to build a church on a Crown grant of 1 acre 3 roods 32 perches, Suburban allotment 6, dated 24th August, 1859. This is the date of the Title Deed but the actual building commenced earlier. This…
Inverell, NSW - Uniting
Year Built: 1903
Address: 21 Rivers Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by John McCrea Esq 1903".
Kyogle, NSW - Gateway Presbyterian
Year Built: 1939
Address: Cnr Groom & Stratheden Street, , Kyogle New South Wales, 2474
The Church dates from 1903, when a timber church was opened. The foundation stone of the present brick church was laid by the Moderator, the Right Reverend Norman McGhie, on Friday 3 March 1939. The church was opened and dedicated on Saturday 2 December 1939. A stone reads "This stone was set by Mrs W J Irwin on March 3rd 1939".
Minden, QLD - Lutheran
Address: 712 Tallegalla Road, , Minden Queensland, 4311
The area was originally known as the Rosewood Scrub, and Minden was named after the German town of the same name. This is a Zion Lutheran Church. The land on which the church stands was transferred to the congregation in 1880, and they built the first church in that year.
Roma, QLD - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1913
Address: 41 Bungil Street, , Roma Queensland, 4455
The first church was constructed from wood and opened on 17th October 1875, costing £1,200. This building, which seated about 200 parishioners, outgrew its congregation around 1910. The present church was built between 1913 and 1915, but due to financial problems the bell tower and the plastering of the arches and pillars were not…
St Lucia, QLD - Uniting
Year Built: 1950
Address: Corner Swann Road & Hawken Drive, , St Lucia Queensland,
The Church was completed in 1950. Initially a Presbyterian Church. A Foundation stone reads, " St Lucia Presbyterian Church to the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator General The Right Reverend Richard Bardon BA on the 26th day of April 1952. Give unto the Lord the Glory due unto His name worship the Lord in the beauty of…
Sydney, NSW - St Mary's Catholic Cathedral
Year Built: 1869
Address: College Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000
William Wilkinson Wardell was commissioned by Archbishop Polding to design a new St Mary's following the fire of 1865 which ruined the original Cathedral. It was constructed of dressed local sandstone in the "Gothic Revival" style. There were to be two intermediate stages. A temporary wooden church was constructed, which was also…
Toowoomba, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic
Year Built: 1863
Address: 154 James Street, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350
The first Church was erected in 1863 under the guidance of the first Parish Priest, Father Fulgentius Hodebourg. This small wooden Church-school soon became too small for the ever growing congregation and was expanded in 1880, only to be burnt down the day after completion.
Warwick, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting
Year Built: 1870
Address: Corner Guy & Fitzroy Streets, , Warwick Queensland, 4370
A former Presbyterian Church, the Church was first established in 1870. The church building was originally rectilinear in plan and has had a stone entry porch added to the front. The Architect was George David Payne. It is constructed of load-bearing, rock-faced ashlar sandstone and is divided into six bays separated with buttresses.…
Warwick, QLD - St Mark's Anglican
Year Built: 1848
Address: 76 Grafton Street, , Warwick Queensland, 4370
The first Anglican service in Warwick was held about 1848, and services continued in the temporary accommodation offered by the old Court House in Alice Street until 1858 when a timber church was constructed on the site of the present stone building in Grafton Street. Constructed of stone and consisting originally of chancel and…
West End, QLD - West End Uniting
Year Built: 1949
Address: 11 Sussex Street, , West End Queensland, 4101
On 10 December 1949, the foundation stone of the Park Presbyterian Church was laid at 21 Hampstead Road. The congregation had previously had their church at 31 Glenelg Street on the corner of Cordelia Street in South Brisbane.