Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia, Denomination: Lutheran


Parrakie, SA - Lutheran

Parrakie, SA - Lutheran

Address: 14 Price Street, , Parrakie South Australia, 5301

The name Parrakie is Aboriginal for subterranean water. The Church was IS between 1908 - 1921, U between 1921 - 1966 and L from 1967.

Read More

Pasadena, SA - Lutheran

Pasadena, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1982

Address: Fiveash Drive, , Pasadena South Australia, 5042

The church was formed in August 1935 and called the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Congregation Colonel Light Gardens. However there were several services prior to this in 1933 conducted by Pastor Dr Janzow in the Colonel Light Gardens Institute. Two blocks of land in Bond Street had been purchased in 1937 for a church building however…

Read More

Penrice, SA - Salem Lutheran

Penrice, SA - Salem Lutheran

Address: Corner Penrice Road & Murdock Street, , Penrice South Australia, 5353

The Church was first a Wesleyan Methodist Church between 1855 1911, then a Congregaonal Church between 1911 1919, and finally sold to the Lutherans.

Read More

Peterborough, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Peterborough, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Address: 104 Railway Terrace, , Peterborough South Australia, 5422

The UELCA and ELSA Congregations used the same Church building.

Read More

Peters Hill, SA - Lutheran
Pinnaroo, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Pinnaroo, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1956

Address: 49 Hensley Street, , Pinnaroo South Australia, 5304

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 July 1956. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia first conducted services in Pinnaroo in July 1906. Early services were conducted in various homes of the local congregation. The Zion Lutheran Church was dedicated on 1Oth April 191 0. The first resident minister was Pastor 0. P. Kloeden.

Read More

Renmark, SA - St John's Trinity Lutheran

Renmark, SA - St John's Trinity Lutheran

Address: 66 Seventeenth Street, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

Renmark had three distinct congregations namely ELSA Trinity from 1914 to 1966, UELCA St John's from 1931 to 1966 and LCA St John's Trinity from 1967. A Foundation stone reads, " Ther Foundation can no Man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ 1 Cor 3.V.II 11th Nov 1951".

Read More

Riverton, SA - St Matthew's Lutheran

Riverton, SA - St Matthew's Lutheran

Year Built: 1864

Address: Main Street, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

Formerly a Methodist church it was erected in 1864. The Church bell was originally used at the Peter's Hill Lutheran Church.

Read More

Rosedale, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Rosedale, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 507 Rosedale Road, , Rosedale South Australia, 3847

During the first two years, services were held in the barn of Vater Peutscher, opposite the old cemetery. The Rosenthal Lutheran Congregation was formed in 1850 by Pastor E Meyer of Bethany. A small church was built of sun dried bricks in 1852; this was replaced by the present church in 1860 and the tower added in 1910. It is a…

Read More

Rowland Flat, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Rowland Flat, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1853

Address: Barossa Valley Way, , Rowland Flat South Australia, 5352

Trinity Lutheran established itself after the disastrous flooding of the Hoffnungsthal settlement in 1853. In I855 the congregations of Holtnunesthal and Rosedale separated from Bethany. Around the same time the Hoffnungsthal members in the Rowland Flat area decided to form their own congregation. J.G. Schulz a member of the…

Read More

Roxby Downs, SA - Lutheran

Roxby Downs, SA - Lutheran

Address: 95 Pioneer Drive, , Roxby Downs South Australia, 5725

Read More

Saddleworth, SA - Zion Lutheran

Saddleworth, SA - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Burra & Michael Streets, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413

Pastor J. Homann began Lutheran services in the Saddleworth area in 1905. The first of these services was held on 3 March 1905, five families attending on that occasion. They first held services in the Institute or in the adjoining Lodge Room, and later the Baptist Church was hired until their own church was completed in 1925. Progress…

Read More

Salisbury, SA - The Ark Lutheran

Salisbury, SA - The Ark Lutheran

Address: 10 Waterloo Corner Road, , Salisbury South Australia, 5108

Read More

Sedan, SA - Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran

Sedan, SA - Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1914

Address: Sedan Hill Road, , Sedan South Australia, 5353

The first church services in the town were held in Pfeiffer House. The first Church was dedicated on the 23rd November 1873 with sixteen foundation members. It was also used as a Lutheran school until 1911. The second Church was built in 1914.

Read More

Semaphore, SA - Lutheran

Semaphore, SA - Lutheran

Address: 121 Military Road, , Semaphore South Australia, 5019

Read More

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1966

Address: Tenth Street, , Snowtown South Australia, 5520

The first Lutheran settler in the Snowtown area was Gottlieb Ferdinand Welke who settled there in 1873. More families arrived in later years and formed the Condowie congregation. However the first Lutheran services in Snowtown were conducted in 1951 by Pastor R.F. Blaess of Balaclava under the ELCA banner. Numbers were small and…

Read More

South Kilkerran, SA - St John's Lutheran

South Kilkerran, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 17 Point Pearce Road, , South Kilkerran South Australia, 5573

Read More

Springton, SA - St John's Lutheran

Springton, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1859

Address: Hamilton's Road, , Springton South Australia, 5235

Originally called Black Springs, Springton requested its first pastor in 1859 after the first arrivals came to the area in 1855. Pastor Hensel from the Blumberg parish was to conduct the first services for the community at a cost of £20.00 and 15 bushels of wheat per year. George Fife Angus donated four acres of land for a church…

Read More

Stockwell, SA - St Thomas' Lutheran

Stockwell, SA - St Thomas' Lutheran

Year Built: 1904

Address: Duck Ponds Road, , Stockwell South Australia, 5355

The Church was erected in 1904.

Read More

Strathalbyn, SA - Lutheran

Strathalbyn, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: Commercial Street, , Strathalbyn South Australia, 5255

A Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1954.

Read More

Tailem Bend, SA - St John's Lutheran
Tailem Bend, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Tailem Bend, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1912

Address: 10 Seymour Street, , Tailem Bend South Australia, 5259

Lutherans came to this area mainly from the Callington and Monarto areas where Lutheran congregations and churches already existed. Each of these congregations belonged to the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Australia. Pastor F Koschade commenced services as Westbrook in 1899 and later in Moorland The Callington congregation withdrew…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - Langmeil Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - Langmeil Lutheran

Year Built: 1888

Address: 7 Maria Street, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

Langmeil Thanksgiving Congregation is one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in the country. Early services were held in the private homes of members and the congregation dedicated its first church on 26th December 1846. It was demolished in 1888. Named after a village in Germany, Langmeil was settled by a group of German emigrants…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 11 Jane Place, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

Due to a rift in Pastor Kavel's congregation, fifty-four members of the Langmeil Church formed their own congregation in 1860. They later bought and renovated a store which became Church and later manse. Present Church dedicated 1868. Bells donated in 1887, the larger of which is still rung at sun down on Saturday evening. Also of…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1903

Address: Murray Street, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

The origins of the St Paul's goes back to 1903 when the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia first conducted preaching services in Tanunda. These services were held in the home of Mr J. A. Pfeiffer. St. Paul's was formed on 16th February 1904 with six families living at Tanunda (Messrs. J. G. Heinrich, F. W. Wilhelm, W. Schulz, J.…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - Tabor Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - Tabor Lutheran

Year Built: 1849

Address: 77 Murray Street, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

A number of pioneer families in the district organised the Free Evangelical Lutheran Tabor Congregation on 1 October 1850 under Dr Carl Muecke, Pastor, educator and journalist. The first Church was built in 1849, extended in 1871 and in 1910, and completely renovated in 1970. It has three bells in the tower, and an orb on top which…

Read More

Tea Tree Gully, SA - St John's Lutheran

Tea Tree Gully, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 182 Hancock Road, , Tea Tree Gully South Australia, 5091

Read More

Tintinara, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Tintinara, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1950

Address: Gibb Avenue, , Tintinara South Australia, 5266

The present Lutheran congregation at Tintinara developed from two branches of Lutheranism., In 1950 a United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia (UELCA) monthly service was held in the home of Mr Les Keller and his wife Ruby. After about a year, services were conducted in the Congregational church (present CWA Hall), still on a…

Read More

Tiparra, SA - St Paul's Lutheran
Truro, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Truro, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1937

Address: Sturt Highway, , Truro South Australia, 5356

The congregation had its beginning when on Wednesday evening, 20th January, 1937, at a special meeting in the home of Bro. and Mrs. Ben Ruediger, a resolution was passed, to have Lutheran services in Truro. The services to be conducted fortnightly in the afternoon at 3 p.m., preceded by Sunday School beginning at 2 o'clock. The first…

Read More

Unley, SA - St John's Lutheran

Unley, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: 15 Marlborough Street, , Unley South Australia, 5061

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1958.

Read More

Victor Harbor, SA - Lutheran

Victor Harbor, SA - Lutheran

Address: 21 Adelaide Road, , Victor Harbor South Australia, 5211

The Church building has been remodelled from an old Cheese factory.

Read More

Warradale, SA - Faith Lutheran

Warradale, SA - Faith Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 2 Ailsa Avenue, , Warradale South Australia, 5046

The first services were held in the Brighton RSL hall in 1954. In 1952 Messrs Zilm and A. Cheney, Elders of St. Paul's elders of St Paul's Trinity and Colonel Light Gardens respectively, foresaw the possibility of the growing Warradale area and that the few Lutherans residing in the district had no ready access to either of these…

Read More

Warramboo, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Warramboo, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

The dedication of the new church occurred on 17 September 1930. The entire building and the furniture, pulpit and altar were constructed by volunteer labour.

Read More

Wasleys, SA - St John's Lutheran
Waterloo, SA - St John's Lutheran

Waterloo, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1864

Address: Carlsruhe Road, , Waterloo South Australia, 5413

The church was completed in 1864 with a a school and a teacher's residence, which were completed at the end of 1866, a manse during 1867. The church transepts in 1874, manse additions in 1875, and a new school in 1879.

Read More

Wayville, SA - St Peter's Latvian Lutheran

Wayville, SA - St Peter's Latvian Lutheran

Address: 38 Rose Terrace, , Wayville South Australia, 5034

Read More

Yankalilla, SA - Lutheran

Yankalilla, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1879

Address: 121 Main Road, , Yankalilla South Australia, 5203

The Southern Fleurieu Peninsula was first mapped by Europeans in 1802 with both Nicholas Baudin and Matthew Flinders travelling the coastline. The French explorer Baudin named the Fleurieu Peninsula. Formerly a Methodist church it was established in 1879. The adjoining hall was opened in 1932. As of 2011 the Luthern's were using…

Read More

Yorketown, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Yorketown, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 14 Waterloo Bay Road, , Yorketown South Australia, 5576

The Heaven's Gate congregation name was changed to St Paul’s congregation in 1940.

Read More