State: South Australia, Denomination: Roman Catholic
Year Built: 1851
Address: 33 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000
Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…
Year Built: 1912
Address: 261 Grote Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000
After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. St Patrick’s Church was the principal place of Catholic worship in Adelaide until St Francis Xavier Cathedral opened on Wakefield Street in 1858. Alterations to the simple stone building of St Patrick’s Church…
Year Built: 1866
Address: Elder Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451
A former Wesleyan church this Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 by Joseph Meller and Scott. Constructed from Auburn bluestone it has symbolic pillars capped with open bible design, stone cuts with fine lines. The building was later used as a Sunday School when the Wesleyans and Methodists merged until it was sold to the Catholic…
Year Built: 1959
Address: Castle Street, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039
The Foundation stone was laid on 3 May 1959 by the Most Reverend M. Beovich D.D. Phd.
Year Built: 1850
Address: 1 Parnell Square, , Gawler South Australia, 5118
The Gawler Catholic Mission began with the appointment of two English Cistercian Monks – Frs Norbert and Wolfrey, by Bishop of Adelaide, Doctor Murphy – and they arrived in Gawler in August 1848 from Tasmania. The church is built on the site of Gawler's first Roman Catholic church, built in 1850, which was South Australia's second…
Year Built: 1936
Address: 19 Goyder Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554
The Church was built in 1936 to replace the earlier Church, now used as a hall. The Church is built from stone taken from the Mine Powerhouse and has the pews from the original church within its pseudo Gothic interior. The Foundation stone of this church was laid on 13 October 1936 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of…
Year Built: 1938
Address: Branson Crescent, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373
The Foundation stone was laid on 6 February 1938 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide. The Architect was Edmund Wright. The Church was rebuilt in 1938 to designs by Herbert Jory.
Year Built: 1959
Address: McDonnell Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275
The original Foundation stone was laid on 1 March 1959 by the very Reverend J.W. Gleeson D.D. The current Church was dedicated on 19 December 2009 by the most Reverend Phillip Wilson D.D. J.C.L. Archbishop of Adelaide.
Year Built: 1875
Address: 15 Walter Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573
The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1875 and a dedication service followed on December 5 conducted by the Bishop of Adelaide to most Reverend C.A. Reynolds. In July 1884 the walls were plastered a porch, vestry and gallery added.
Year Built: 1869
Address: 1 Robert Street, , Moonta South Australia, 5558
A solid building, with limestone walls and iron roof. The foundation stone for this Church was laid by Bishop Shiel on 11 July 1869 and the Church was opened on 12 December 1869. It remains as built, except for the addition of a vestry to the front of the building.
Year Built: 1971
Address: 3 Venning Street, , Morphett Vale South Australia, 5162
The first Roman Catholic Church erected in South Australia was St Mary's, Morphett Vale, on a site given by Mr A Anderson. It was dedicated by Bishop Murray on 8 December 1844. Built of local stone, the foundation stone was laid July 1845, opened 1846. Nave and chancel erected about twenty years later. The roof is now slate tiles, walls…
Year Built: 1910
Address: 2 Park Terrace, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254
The builder of the Church was Mr F. Fricker of Adelaide. The contract was signed on 15 July 1910 for a cost of 1230.00 not including furnishings. The Foundation stone was laid on 4 September 1910. Built form Murray Bridge freestone the nave was to be 25ft wide while its length was to be 45ft with seating for 250 people. Mr T Bartlett…
Year Built: 1858
Address: Willis Drive, , Normanville South Australia, 5204
Established in 1858. The Bishop of Adelaide, Bishop Murphy, in 1856 he and the other trustee priests Frs Ryan, Smyth and Fallon, purchased from Richard Connor, 'two acres more or less', being part of Section 1007, for £5 for the purposes of building a church. The church was dedicated on 1 January 1858 by Father Peter Hughes.
Year Built: 1867
Address: 134 Buxton Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006
The Church was erected between 1867 and 1868 The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1867 and dedicated on 10 January 1869 by Bishop Lawrence Shiel. Additions and including the Sanctuary and piped organ were blessed on 13 February 1910.
Year Built: 1858
Address: Dale Street, , Port Adelaide South Australia, 5015
St Mary's Church was established in Dale Street, Port Adelaide,and this was the first of the Josephine Schools associated with Saint Mary MacKillop. The Church was officially opened on August 15th 1858, although the building had been used as a place of worship for some time beforehand. The Sisters of St Joseph set up a school in the…
Year Built: 1851
Address: 23 Commercial Road, , Salisbury South Australia, 5108
The foundation stone was laid in 1851. Within a year the architect Walter Hunter and the builder Peter Walsh had died. Due to many problems and the Victorian gold rush the church was not completed until 1857.