Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


Naracoorte, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Naracoorte, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The original church was built in 1858 and later became the Sunday School hall. The land was donated by Mr William McIntosh as was the church bell. The current church was erected in 1874 1875 at a cost of 3,000. The slate roof on the spire was replaced with aluminium in 1953 and again in 1990. Built in solid limestone structure of…

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1952

Address: 1 Magarey Crescent, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 November 1952 by Rev J.F. Hansen.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Naracoorte, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: Gordon Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Church was built of solid limestone in 1880. A Foundation stone was laid on 8 December 1968 by E. R. Lawson Esq.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Naracoorte, SA - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: Gordon Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 March 1937 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide. The architect was Herbert H Jory.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: 9 Foster Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1956 by A.C. De Garis Esq J.P.

Read More

New Residence, SA - Trinity Lutheran

New Residence, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1924

Address: 60 Klau Road, , New Residence South Australia, 5333

A Foundation stone reads, " Ev Luth Trinity Church This stone is laid to the Glory of God By Rev O.P. Kloeden. Oct 5 1924 1 Cor 3.11.". A Foundation stone on the Church Hall reads, " To the Glory of God Trinity Lutheran Church Hall EPH 2 vs 20 4th April 1965 Stone laid by Pastor E.C. Hempel".

Read More

Normanville, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Normanville, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1858

Address: Willis Drive, , Normanville South Australia, 5204

Established in 1858. The Bishop of Adelaide, Bishop Murphy, in 1856 he and the other trustee priests Frs Ryan, Smyth and Fallon, purchased from Richard Connor, 'two acres more or less', being part of Section 1007, for £5 for the purposes of building a church. The church was dedicated on 1 January 1858 by Father Peter Hughes.

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Baptist

North Adelaide, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1860

Address: 146 Tynte Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The history of this Church dates to 1848 when a group of 21 people left the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, uncomfortable with the closed-mindedness of the majority of the congregation, and founded a new Church. In 1850, they built a chapel in Lefevre Terrace seating 350. When that proved too small, they acquired the acre of land in Tynte…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Christ Church Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 35 Palmer Place, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Plans for this Church were brought from England by Bishop Short the Anglo-Norman design was credited to local architects Henry Stuckey and William Weir. Romanesque in style it was constructed of limestone, brick and sandstone trim. It was begun in 1848 with the apse being built after the death of Stuckey in 1851. William Weir and Henry…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 139 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The church was founded in 1930 as a mission-outreach congregation and to serve the needs of the students and staff of the Immanuel Seminary and Immanuel College. After about 20 years of meeting in the old Methodist church building on Tynte Street, the congregation constructed a new building, designed by one of its young members, [Sir]…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran (Former)

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran (Former)

Year Built: 1882

Address: Tynte Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Formally a Primitive Methodist / Methodist Church. Now in private hands.

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

North Adelaide, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1962

Address: 92 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The original Methodist Church was demolished in 1961. It became a Uniting Church in 1977 and has been the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church since 1982.

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 70 Melbourne Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The land was purchased in 1872 and the construction took place between 1882 and 1883. The financing was orchestrated by the Christ Church North Adelaide. The Architect was Daniel Garlick a prominent South Australian architect. Most of the students and congregation were working class people who lived nearby, some of whom worked for the…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Lawrence's Catholic

North Adelaide, SA - St Lawrence's Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: 134 Buxton Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The Church was erected between 1867 and 1868 The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1867 and dedicated on 10 January 1869 by Bishop Lawrence Shiel. Additions and including the Sanctuary and piped organ were blessed on 13 February 1910.

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Peter's Cathedral Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - St Peter's Cathedral Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: King William Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The first bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short, brought with him in 1848, plans for a Cathedral. The plans had been drawn up by English architect William Butterfield and is in the Gothic Revival style. The Foundation stone was laid on 13 July 1869 by Bishop Short, the first Bishop of Adelaide. Designed by Butterfield but plans modified…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Uniting

North Adelaide, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: Brougham Place, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Formerly a Congregational church established by the Reverend T.Q. Stow and the first Minster James Jefferis in the 1860's. Designed by Edmund Wright in partnership with E.A. Hamilton. A good example of the Victorian Free Classical style, which was frequently used for non-conformist churches and chapels in the nineteenth century.…

Read More

Norton Summit, SA - Baptist

Norton Summit, SA - Baptist

Address: 1 Church Road, , Norton Summit South Australia, 5136

The first services were performed by Rev Thomas Playford during 1842 in Robert Norton's log cabin at Grassy Flat. As the congregation incresed by 1851 a roughly constructed stone building was built and furnished at Grassy Flat. The Foundation of the new church designed by David Williams Jnr was laid on Monday afternoon April 24 1882.…

Read More

Norwood, SA - Baptist (Former)

Norwood, SA - Baptist (Former)

Address: 134 The Parade, , Norwood South Australia, 5067

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner Penrice & Park Avenue, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 July 1959.

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Our Lady of the Valley Catholic

Nuriootpa, SA - Our Lady of the Valley Catholic

Address: 28 Gawler Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner First & Second Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The first St Petri church (which has since been demolished and replaced by the current church building) was dedicated on the 10th November, 1867. In 1877 a German pipe organ was purchased, followed by the construction and installation of a bell and bell tower in 1927. A new church replaced the first church in 1961. A building…

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Uniting

Nuriootpa, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1936

Address: 54 Murray Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

Formerly a Methodist Church the foundation stone was laid 21 June 1936 by Sir Edward Lucas K.B. The church was called the Coulthard Memorial Church after William Coulthard who laid out the town of Nuriootpa.

Read More

Oaklands Park, SA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Oaklands Park, SA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Address: 12a Dwyer Road, , Oaklands Park South Australia, 5046

Read More

Oaklands Park, SA - Uniting

Oaklands Park, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1934

Address: 93 Oaklands Rd , , Warradale South Australia, 5046

Formerly a Methodist church. When the Methodists ceased their activities the Presbyterians moved in. The cost of the building including the church hall social room and porch was £650. The land was purchased for £250. The first service was held on December 5 1934 at 3pm. Mrs RB Smith was the first pianist.

Read More

Old Noarlunga, SA - St Philip and St James Anglican

Old Noarlunga, SA - St Philip and St James Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Church Hill Road, , Old Noarlunga South Australia, 5168

Built in 1850 of local stone quarried from the cliffs on the Onkaparinga River in Old Noarlunga , hauled across the river and up the hill by bullock teams and hard sweat. Walls are of ironstone quarried from the cliffs of the Onkaparinga River and hauled to the site by a winch powered by bullocks. Simple buttresses divide the walls…

Read More

Old Noarlunga, SA - Uniting

Old Noarlunga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1855

Address: Maple Street Road, , Old Noarlunga South Australia, 5168

Formerly a Wesleyan Chapel then a Methodist Church it was built in 1855. A hall was added in 1902. It's the second oldest remaining Methodist Chapel in SA. Pew rents in 1872 were three shillings a month. The church was constructed on land originally set aside as a 'chapel reserve' and the first service in the church took place in…

Read More

One Tree Hill, SA - Uniting

One Tree Hill, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: Black Top Road, , One Tree Hill South Australia, 5114

The Church was built in 1867.

Read More

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: Church Crescent, , Palmer South Australia, 5237

A Foundation stone was laid in 1872. An addition appears to have been added in 1927.

Read More

Para Vista, SA - Good Sherpherd Lutheran

Para Vista, SA - Good Sherpherd Lutheran

Address: 388 Montague Road, , Para Vista South Australia, 5093

Read More

Parafield Gardens, SA - St Barbara's Anglican

Parafield Gardens, SA - St Barbara's Anglican

Address: 456 Salisbury Highway, , Parafield Gardens South Australia, 5107

Read More

Parafield Gardens, SA - Uniting

Parafield Gardens, SA - Uniting

Address: Corner Salisbury Highway & Shepherdson Road, , Parafield Gardens South Australia, 5107

Read More

Paringa, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Paringa, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Address: 69 Hughes Avenue, , Paringa South Australia, 5340

A Foundation stone reads, " We Preach Christ Crucified 1 Cor 1 v 23A - 31st Aug. 1952. A Foundation stone on the Hall reads " 'Behold I have set before you an open door'. Rev 3:8". A wall plaque in the Church hall reads, " The Paringa Friendship Centre opened March 7th 1999 by Pastor Michael Semmler President of the South Australian…

Read More

Parkside, SA - Baptist

Parkside, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1880

Address: 100 Young Street, , Parkside South Australia, 5063

On the 26th of March in 1880 at the half yearly meeting of the SA Baptist Association held at Mitcham, a committee was appointed to take action in relation to the establishment of a Baptist interest in the growing suburb of Parkside. Land was eventually purchased for a cost of £263 and plans discussed for building the chapel. As the…

Read More

Parrakie, SA - Lutheran

Parrakie, SA - Lutheran

Address: 14 Price Street, , Parrakie South Australia, 5301

The name Parrakie is Aboriginal for subterranean water. The Church was IS between 1908 - 1921, U between 1921 - 1966 and L from 1967.

Read More

Pasadena, SA - Lutheran

Pasadena, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1982

Address: Fiveash Drive, , Pasadena South Australia, 5042

The church was formed in August 1935 and called the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Congregation Colonel Light Gardens. However there were several services prior to this in 1933 conducted by Pastor Dr Janzow in the Colonel Light Gardens Institute. Two blocks of land in Bond Street had been purchased in 1937 for a church building however…

Read More

Payneham, SA - Uniting

Payneham, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1850

Address: Corner Broad & Payneham Road, , Payneham South Australia, 5070

A Henry Goss, who was born in Devonshire in 1802 and came to South Australia in 1940, established a class meeting at Payneham in 1840. This group grew and built the first Wesleyan Church in Henry Street, it being opened on April 20 1851. It still stands, being part of the San Georgio Community Centre. The cause continued to grow and this…

Read More

Penola, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Penola, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1870

Address: 31 Arthur Street, , Penola South Australia, 5277

Mr John McInnes an accredited Gaelic Missionary of the free church of Scotland upon emigrating to Victoria made his headquarters in Camperdown and that extended eventually to Penola. He conducted church services in the local Courthouse. The first church was erected in 1856 on a site in Bowden Street almost opposite Ulva cottage, the…

Read More

Penrice, SA - Salem Lutheran

Penrice, SA - Salem Lutheran

Address: Corner Penrice Road & Murdock Street, , Penrice South Australia, 5353

The Church was first a Wesleyan Methodist Church between 1855 1911, then a Congregaonal Church between 1911 1919, and finally sold to the Lutherans.

Read More

Peterborough, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Peterborough, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Address: 104 Railway Terrace, , Peterborough South Australia, 5422

The UELCA and ELSA Congregations used the same Church building.

Read More

Peters Hill, SA - Lutheran