Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


Port Adelaide, SA - Presbyterian (Former)

Port Adelaide, SA - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: Saint Vincent Street, , Port Adelaide South Australia, 5015

Land for the first church was purchased on the corner of Leadenhall and Marryatt Streets, for the cost of £350. The foundation stone was laid on 21st August, 1856, by Sir Thomas Elder, and the church opened for public worship on 22nd February, 1857. Full cost of the building was £1,600, and seating accommodation provided for 300 people.…

Read More

Port Adelaide, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Port Adelaide, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1858

Address: Dale Street, , Port Adelaide South Australia, 5015

St Mary's Church was established in Dale Street, Port Adelaide,and this was the first of the Josephine Schools associated with Saint Mary MacKillop. The Church was officially opened on August 15th 1858, although the building had been used as a place of worship for some time beforehand. The Sisters of St Joseph set up a school in the…

Read More

Port Adelaide, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Port Adelaide, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1841

Address: 1 Church Place, , Port Adelaide South Australia, 5015

Services were first held of the site commencing 16 May 1841. Four churches have been erected on the site since that date. The first was 1841 - 1851 then 1852 - 1864, 1861 - 1905 and finally 1905 to today. The church erected in 1905 was as a result of an earthquake in 1902. It was felt the church needed significant renovation and as a…

Read More

Port Adelaide, SA - Uniting

Port Adelaide, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: 169 Charlotten Street, , South Australia, 5015

The Congregationalists bought a large block of land along Commercial Road from the Port Land Company (near Dunn & Sons new Mill) in 1866, after the church they had built on the corner of St Vincent Street and Lipson Street burnt down in April of that year. The foundation stone was laid on 16 July 1867 by Mr T Graves and the church opened…

Read More

Port Elliot, SA - St Judes Anglican

Port Elliot, SA - St Judes Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 159 Arthur Street, , Port Elliot South Australia, 5212

At a public meeting held in Port Elliot on 27 January, 1854, a committee was formed to progress the building of a church, to be chaired by Mr Buxton Forbes Laurie. The Foundation stone was laid by Dean Farrell on 22 June 1854 and by December the structure was so far completed that divine service was held there on Christmas Day 1854,…

Read More

Port Elliot, SA - Uniting

Port Elliot, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: William Street, , Port Elliot South Australia, 5212

Formerly a Congragational church it was called the Hotham Memorial Church. The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1899 by Mrs John Hotham. The Architect was C.E. Taplin. A Foundation stone was laid for the church hall in 1941.

Read More

Port Wakefield, SA - Uniting

Port Wakefield, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: Mine Street, , Port Wakefield South Australia, 5550

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid on 15 April 1885. A smaller church building on the left was built in 1868.

Read More

Prospect, SA - Islington Uniting

Prospect, SA - Islington Uniting

Address: Corner King & Redin Streets, , Prospect South Australia, 5082

In 1841 Islington and Bowden were bracketed together as a preaching place in the March quarter plan of the Wesleyan Methodists and at the annual meeting of March 28 1842 there was a report of the Sunday school at Islington being closed. In the 1850's Robert Burdon emigrated from England with parents John and Ann and began to but up…

Read More

Prospect, SA - Saint Anthony Greek Orthodox

Prospect, SA - Saint Anthony Greek Orthodox

Address: 65 Milner Street, , Prospect South Australia, 5082

Read More

Prospect, SA - St Cuthbert's Anglican

Prospect, SA - St Cuthbert's Anglican

Year Built: 1915

Address: 2 Ballville Street, , Prospect South Australia, 5082

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 April 1915. The Church is an example of late Gothic Revival. The architect was Louis Laybourne Smith. The church is of high integrity and retains the original layout except for the addition of a small altar in the sanctuary.

Read More

Renmark, SA - Congregational (Former)

Renmark, SA - Congregational (Former)

Year Built: 1933

Address: 80 James Street, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God and in memory of James Wilkinson donor of this church. This stone was laid by Arthur Wilkinson Esq., Aug. 24th 1933".

Read More

Renmark, SA - St Augustine of Hippo Anglican

Renmark, SA - St Augustine of Hippo Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: James Avenue, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

Constructed of local stone the interior has exposed beams and rafters with matchboard with a perforated timber cornice system which is part of the ventilation system. The Sanctuary is a simple apse without windows with timber ceiling similar to the nave. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Thomas…

Read More

Renmark, SA - St John's Trinity Lutheran

Renmark, SA - St John's Trinity Lutheran

Address: 66 Seventeenth Street, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

Renmark had three distinct congregations namely ELSA Trinity from 1914 to 1966, UELCA St John's from 1931 to 1966 and LCA St John's Trinity from 1967. A Foundation stone reads, " Ther Foundation can no Man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ 1 Cor 3.V.II 11th Nov 1951".

Read More

Renmark, SA - St Therese's Catholic

Renmark, SA - St Therese's Catholic

Address: 132 Ral Ral Avenue, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was solemnly blessed and laid by The Most Rev T. McCabe D.D. Bishop of Port Augusta on 10th August 1941". The foundation stone on the Church hall reads, "A.M.D.G. Sept 1 1918".

Read More

Renmark, SA - Sts Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox

Renmark, SA - Sts Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1970

Address: 55 Twentyfirst Street, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of Saints Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church was blessed by His Grace Archbishop Ezekiel on 7th June 1970".

Read More

Renmark, SA - Uniting

Renmark, SA - Uniting

Address: 76 Renmark Avenue, , Renmark South Australia, 5341

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid to the Glory of God by C R Clarke on 13th December 1959. Minister Rev E A Hind".

Read More

Riverton, SA - Catholic

Riverton, SA - Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: Corner Swindon & Masters Street, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

The Foundation stone was laid in December of 1920.

Read More

Riverton, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Riverton, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: Torrens Road, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

Construction of the church was commenced in 1857 on land donated by local citizens.

Read More

Riverton, SA - St Matthew's Lutheran

Riverton, SA - St Matthew's Lutheran

Year Built: 1864

Address: Main Street, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

Formerly a Methodist church it was erected in 1864. The Church bell was originally used at the Peter's Hill Lutheran Church.

Read More

Riverton, SA - Uniting

Riverton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Moorhouse Terrace, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

Formerly the Pioneer Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid in May 1964.

Read More

Rosedale, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Rosedale, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 507 Rosedale Road, , Rosedale South Australia, 3847

During the first two years, services were held in the barn of Vater Peutscher, opposite the old cemetery. The Rosenthal Lutheran Congregation was formed in 1850 by Pastor E Meyer of Bethany. A small church was built of sun dried bricks in 1852; this was replaced by the present church in 1860 and the tower added in 1910. It is a…

Read More

Rosefield, SA - Uniting

Rosefield, SA - Uniting

Address: 2 Carlton Street, , Highgate South Australia, 5063

Also known as William Jefferies Memorial Church. Prior to purchasing the land services were held in private homes around Myrtle Bank. The current Church was built in 1968, following the demolition of the second church which was opened on 21 August 1922. An earlier iron church dated from 1911.

Read More

Rowland Flat, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Rowland Flat, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1853

Address: Barossa Valley Way, , Rowland Flat South Australia, 5352

Trinity Lutheran established itself after the disastrous flooding of the Hoffnungsthal settlement in 1853. In I855 the congregations of Holtnunesthal and Rosedale separated from Bethany. Around the same time the Hoffnungsthal members in the Rowland Flat area decided to form their own congregation. J.G. Schulz a member of the…

Read More

Roxby Downs, SA - Lutheran

Roxby Downs, SA - Lutheran

Address: 95 Pioneer Drive, , Roxby Downs South Australia, 5725

Read More

Saddleworth, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Saddleworth, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 25 Burra Road, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413

Of Gothic revival style this church was built in 1894 and designed by W.K. Mallyon. It cost £800.00 and could seat 150 people. The Foundation stone was laid on 10 April 1894. Local stone was used in its construction. Kerosene lamps were replaced by wall mounted gas lamps in 1910. A general meeting of the Church of England…

Read More

Saddleworth, SA - St Stephen's Catholic

Saddleworth, SA - St Stephen's Catholic

Address: Barrier Highway, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413

Read More

Saddleworth, SA - Uniting

Saddleworth, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Spur Road, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413

Formerly a Methodist church it was built in 1861 for a cost of 10.00. All the materials were provided free by local residents. It was used as the local school until that building was erected in 1870. Extensions were carried out in 1869 for a cost of 250.00. The porch was added in 1929.

Read More

Saddleworth, SA - Zion Lutheran

Saddleworth, SA - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Burra & Michael Streets, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413

Pastor J. Homann began Lutheran services in the Saddleworth area in 1905. The first of these services was held on 3 March 1905, five families attending on that occasion. They first held services in the Institute or in the adjoining Lodge Room, and later the Baptist Church was hired until their own church was completed in 1925. Progress…

Read More

Salisbury, SA - St Augustine's Catholic

Salisbury, SA - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1851

Address: 23 Commercial Road, , Salisbury South Australia, 5108

The foundation stone was laid in 1851. Within a year the architect Walter Hunter and the builder Peter Walsh had died. Due to many problems and the Victorian gold rush the church was not completed until 1857.

Read More

Salisbury, SA - St John's Anglican

Salisbury, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Church Street, , Salisbury South Australia, 5108

John Harvey transferred an acre of Section 2191 between Lots 82 and 85 over to the Bishop of Adelaide in November 1850. The "original" St John's has an uncertain history. Inscribed above the door is the date 1846. This date is often contested, as the land was not given to the church until 1850. The foundation stone was laid in 1858. It…

Read More

Salisbury, SA - The Ark Lutheran

Salisbury, SA - The Ark Lutheran

Address: 10 Waterloo Corner Road, , Salisbury South Australia, 5108

Read More

Salisbury, SA - Uniting

Salisbury, SA - Uniting

Address: Corner Park & Brown Terrace, , Salisbury South Australia, 5108

Read More

Seacliff Park, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Seacliff Park, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner Brighton Road & Lamington Avenue, , Seacliff Park South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 April 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1963

Address: 29 Kaurie Parade, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone on the current building was laid on 3 February 1963 by the Right Reverend J.D. Bentley B.A. The Church Hall which was the original Church building was erected in 1924. That foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1924.

Read More

Seacliff, SA - Uniting

Seacliff, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: 7 Wheatland Street, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 February 1928 by S.W. Bailey Esq. The Memorial Hall was erected in 1956 and that foundation stone was laid by Mrs E.A. Story.

Read More

Seacombe Gardens, SA - Holy Spirit Catholic

Seacombe Gardens, SA - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 29 Ramsay Avenue, , Seacombe Gardens South Australia, 5047

Read More

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1980

Address: 183 Trimmer Parade, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Church was opened for worship on 5 March 1980.

Read More

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1972

Address: Corner Squires & Owen Avenues, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 April 1972.

Read More

Seaview Downs, SA - All Nations Baptist

Seaview Downs, SA - All Nations Baptist

Address: 168 Seacombe Road, , Seaview Downs South Australia, 5049

Read More

Sedan, SA - Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran

Sedan, SA - Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1914

Address: Sedan Hill Road, , Sedan South Australia, 5353

The first church services in the town were held in Pfeiffer House. The first Church was dedicated on the 23rd November 1873 with sixteen foundation members. It was also used as a Lutheran school until 1911. The second Church was built in 1914.

Read More