Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Uniting


Forest Hill, VIC - Uniting

Forest Hill, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1916

Address: 333A Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In August 1864 a public meeting was held at the cottage of Francis Rooks in the forests of Nunawading "for the purpose of taking into consideration the desirability of raising a chapel in connection with the Wesleyan Body". In the chair was Joseph Aspinall. The site first held services in 1870. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was…

Read More

Foster, VIC - Uniting

Foster, VIC - Uniting

Address: 14 Station Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960

The Church was built around 1904.

Read More

Frankston East, VIC - Uniting

Frankston East, VIC - Uniting

Address: 86 Karingal Drive, , Frankston East Victoria, 3199

In the 1960s a Lutheran Church was built in Frankston. More recently the Lutheran congregation has amalgamated with the Uniting Church congregation and moved to the Uniting Church building where they share the same pastor.

Read More

Frankston North, VIC - Uniting

Frankston North, VIC - Uniting

Address: 30 Radiata Street, , Frankston North Victoria, 3200

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: High Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Presbyterian Church service was first held in 1916 in an open space beside the then Mechanics Institute. The new Presbyterian congregation was at once attached to the congregations which had already been worshipping for many years at Somerville and at Baxter, then known as Mornington Junction. Two new congregations, at Seaford and…

Read More

Garfield, VIC - Uniting

Garfield, VIC - Uniting

Address: 13 Garfield Road, , Garfield Victoria, 3814

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Corner Sydney Parade & Sydney Avenue, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. St. Andrew’s was the first Presbyterian Church in the Western District of Victoria with its minister, the Reverend Andrew Love, being the first resident Minister in Geelong. On 24 August 1839, a public meeting of the subscribers to a proposed Presbyterian church and minister’s dwelling in Geelong was…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Geelong, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Address: 100 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

Formerly the Yarra Street Methodist Church. The Church congregation was established in 1838 and the first church was erected in 1844-46 to design of noted colonial architect Charles Laing. The original Decorated Gothic church, built of brick, was later in 1859 substantially enlarged. The fabric was cement rendered in 1904. The…

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - Uniting

Gisborne, VIC - Uniting

Address: 23 Brantome Street, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

Read More

Glen Huntly, VIC - St John's Uniting

Glen Huntly, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Foster & Glen Huntly Roads, , Glen Huntly Victoria, 3163

In 1887 twelve Caulfield Presbyterians meet in the new Shire Hall to consider providing Presbyterian services for Caulfield and part of Balaclava. The Rev George Faulds conducted the first service in the Court House on 31 October of the same year. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 August 1915 by A.P. Gardiner Esq.

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Glen Iris, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: 1560 Malvern Road, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

Formerly known as Mulgrave Uniting Church and now known as St Andrew's Gardiner Uniting. The old St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (1856), in Rathdowne Street, Carlton was taken down in 1938 and the stones re-erected the following year at the site of the 'new' St. Andrew's on the corner of Burke and Malvern Roads. A Foundation stone…

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - Uniting

Glen Iris, VIC - Uniting

Address: 252 Warrigal Road, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - Uniting

Glen Iris, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1932

Address: 200 Glen Iris Road, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

The first service was held in 1862 in the house of Mr. Robinson in Albion Road; then in a house (some say a wool shed), owned by him, which stood somewhere near where St. Oswald's Church is now erected in High Street. The music was supplied by a Mrs. Mann, who played a concertina. Second-hand bricks for the construction of the Church…

Read More

Glen Waverley, VIC - Uniting

Glen Waverley, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1991

Address: 10 Bogong Avenue, , Glen Waverley Victoria, 3150

A wall plaque reads, "This Church centre was opened and dedicated to the Glory of God for the mission of the Church on 1st December 1991. By the Moderator the Rev John Billington and the Presbytery of Maroondah Minister Rev Ian Smith".

Read More

Glenroy, VIC - Uniting

Glenroy, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: 76 Wheatsheaf Road, , Glenroy Victoria, 3044

Glenroy Presbyterian Church (St Andrews?) began in 1904 in a hired hall in Wheatsheaf Road Glenroy. Glenroy Methodist began in the 1950"s in a detachable building in Station Road Glenroy. Over the years both churches built more permanent buildings on their sites. In 1977 after union, both congregations combined to form Glenroy Uniting…

Read More

Glenthompson, VIC - St Andrews Uniting (Former)

Glenthompson, VIC - St Andrews Uniting (Former)

Address: 52 Memorial Road, , Glenthompson Victoria, 3293

A Foundation stone reads, "St Andrews Church This stone was laid by Mrs A Cameron of Burnside Glenthompson 19th May 1915". The church is closed and in private hands.

Read More

Goorambat, VIC - Uniting

Goorambat, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1924

Address: 97 Halls Road, , Goorambat Victoria, 3725

Formerly a Methodist it was opened in 1865. The current church was erected in 1924. A mural by the name of 'Sophia' came into being in 2017 after acclaimed street artist Adnate approached the Uniting church community to host one inside the church itself as part of the Wall to Wall festival.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Uniting

Greensborough, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The first service of the Greensborough Methodist church was held in March of 1850, in, "Meagher's Barn" which refers to a barn that stood on the "Willis Vale" property of James Willis Mayger, near the Plenty River. The Wesleyans acquired their own house of worship in Hailes Street. This weatherboard church was still being used as a…

Read More

Greta, VIC - Uniting

Greta, VIC - Uniting

Address: 1383 Glenrowan Moyhu Road, , Greta Victoria, 3675

Read More

Grovedale, VIC - Uniting

Grovedale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1853

Address: Torquay Road, , Grovedale Victoria, 3216

During 1853, people began to worship on the site in Torquay Road, which had been granted to the Wesleyan Methodists. A small, simple wooden church was constructed in 1855. In June 1868, the congregation decided to build a new church. The new church was designed by RS. Tuffs and the foundation stone was laid on the 25th March 1869, by the…

Read More

Gunbower, VIC, Uniting

Gunbower, VIC, Uniting

Address: 3 Wilson Street, , Gunbower Victoria, 3566

Read More

Hampton, VIC - Uniting

Hampton, VIC - Uniting

Address: 17 Service Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

Read More

Harcourt, VIC - Uniting

Harcourt, VIC - Uniting

Address: 30 Buckley Street, , Harcourt Victoria, 3453

Formerley a Methodist Church.The first Methodist service was held in January 1860 but by June 1861 services had been discontinued. Further attempts were made in 1863 when the Circuit Local Preachers' Meeting resolved that preaching should be held at Harcourt each Sunday afternoon. The church is of Gothic style and consists of a three…

Read More

Hastings, VIC - Uniting

Hastings, VIC - Uniting

Address: Cnr Marine Pde & Hodgins Rd, , Hastings Victoria, 3915

Read More

Hawthorn, VIC - Uniting

Hawthorn, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 10 Power Street, , Hawthorn Victoria, 3122

In 1895 the West Hawthorn Presbyterian Church was established in Grove Road however it was burnt down in 1961. The Foundation stone to the current church was laid on 19 July 1910 by James Dyer Esq. The Architect was H. W. & F B Tompkins and the Builders were J Bennell and Son.

Read More

Healesville, VIC - Uniting

Healesville, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: Maroondah Highway, , Healesville Victoria, 3777

Formerly Scots' Presbyterian Church, it was constructed in 1937. The foundation stone was laid on 21 August 1937 by W F Bon, whose mother had donated a significant amount to the church building fund. The church was designed by Melbourne architects Scarborough, Robertson and Love and was constructed by a Mr Adam of Fernshaw. The church…

Read More

Heathcote, VIC - Uniting

Heathcote, VIC - Uniting

Address: Northern Highway, , Heathcote Victoria, 3523

Read More

Heatherton, VIC - Uniting

Heatherton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1858

Address: 186 Old Dandenong Road, , Heatherton Victoria, 3202

Originally a Wesleyan Church it was built in 1858.

Read More

Heidelberg, VIC - Scots Uniting

Heidelberg, VIC - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: 183 Burgundy Street, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the first services were held at the invitation of Mr Alexander Duncan father of the late Mrs Geo Smith of Bulleen, in a barn in Bulleen Road. The first church was located in Jika Street opposite the current Police Station and the land was purched by the then Reverend Gunn. The building was of brick and…

Read More

Herne Hill, VIC - Western Heights Uniting

Herne Hill, VIC - Western Heights Uniting

Address: 31 Douglass Street, , Herne Hill Victoria, 3218

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rev Hugh Roberts BA DIP RE 26th May 1963". A wall plaque reads, " This plaque commemorates the formation of Trinity Uniting Church 14 May 1989 by the gathering of people from across the Western Heights Parish principally the congregations of St James Herne Hill…

Read More

Heyfield, VIC - Uniting

Heyfield, VIC - Uniting

Address: 46 McFarlane Street, , Heyfield Victoria, 3858

Read More

Highton, VIC - St Lukes Uniting

Highton, VIC - St Lukes Uniting

Year Built: 1868

Address: 269 Roslyn Road, , Highton Victoria, 3216

The Church dates back to 1853 when the first Wesleyan church services were held in homes in the small farming community of Highton. In October 1854, at the present site, the foundation stone of the first brick church was laid and services were being held there by early 1855. The Church was erected in 1868. On July 21st, 1926 a tornado…

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Horsham, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

Various Presbyterian Ministers visited the Horsham area. The recognised commencement of the church was on 14 January 1858. It is noted that Rev Hogg conducted services in the local Court House and then the school house until a suitable church could be erected. The eventual church was constructed at a cost of £700.

Read More

Huon, VIC - Red Bluff Uniting (Former)

Huon, VIC - Red Bluff Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1952

Address: 34 Gundowring Road, , Huon Victoria, 3695

A Foundation stone reads, " Erected to the Glory of God by this Congregation of the Presbyterian Church AD 1952. A foundation stone on the tower reads, " This tower was added to the Glory of God in memory of the Christian pioneers of these valleys who toiled not in vain and are now at rest".

Read More

Hurstbridge, VIC - Uniting

Hurstbridge, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Main Road, , Hurstbridge Victoria, 3099

The Diamond Creek Methodist Mission commenced services in a hall in Hurstbridge around 1912. The Church was built in 1925 with a vestry added in 1949. In 1985 the church hall was transported from Plenty to the Hurstbridge site to create the current complex. The Church is Heritage listed. Walls are of timber stud construction,…

Read More

Inverloch, VIC - Uniting

Inverloch, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1983

Address: 10 Williams Street, , Inverloch Victoria, 3996

In 1890 Mr Jacob Thomas, a Methodist layman from Ballarat, donated a block of land near the Inverloch Jetty for use by the Methodist Church when it should be required. Between 1897 and 1929 services conducted under the Methodist banner were held in the Mechanics Hall. Rev West from Leongatha held fortnightly services, but when he left…

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting

Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Seddon Street, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

In August 1890 Messrs. Thomas Latham and A, R, Fenton made their homes in Ivanhoe, having moved from Collingwood where they were active workers in the Sackville Street, Wesleyan Church, At that time there were no means of public worship in Ivanhoe and the nearest church was the Alphington Wesleyan, about a mile distant. On the 5th…

Read More

Johnsonville, VIC - Uniting

Johnsonville, VIC - Uniting

Address: 1765 Princess Highway, , Johnsonville Victoria, 3902

Home Missioners and Reverends served out of Lakes Entrance for Johnsonville. Early Methodist records suggest Methodist Services were commenced in the Johnsonville Congregational Church as early as 1920. The opening Service was attended by 20 people and the Offering was thirteen shillings ninepence. The charge for the use of the…

Read More

Kaniva, VIC - Uniting

Kaniva, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Baker & Commercial Streets, , Kaniva Victoria, 3419

Read More

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 34 Moore Street, , Katamatite Victoria, 3649

The Katamatite church is representative of a remarkable period of architectural experimentation during the postwar years, wherein new materials and technologies provided architects with cheaper means and mechanisms of construction. Designed by Architectural practice Muir and Shepherd. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God…

Read More