Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.
Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican
Year Built: 1892
Address: 4 Arkaba Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154
The Foundation stone of the church was laid on October 22 1892. The Church is a simple stone and brick building 20 feet x 30 feet. An extension of just over 3 meters was made at the eastern end, and a porch and vestry were added in 1961. The Architect for this was Dean W. Berry and the builder was H.J. Were.
Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting
Address: Sherlaw Avenue, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154
Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican
Year Built: 1866
Address: Main South Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173
In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel derived…
Aldinga, SA - Uniting
Year Built: 1863
Address: Old Coach Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173
The Uniting Church was constructed as the Aldinga Methodist Church and opened in 1863 during a period of active church building throughout the district. Services for Methodists in the Aldinga area had been held in other locations previously, but this church was the focus of their worship from the 1860's onwards. Stone church with brick…
Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting
Year Built: 1966
Address: 37 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714
The commemoration stone was laid by the Reverends K.O. Williams and Reverend W.C. Paul on 20 November 1966.
Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1937
Address: 39 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714
The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937. The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by…
Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic
Year Built: 1970
Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714
The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.
Allansford, VIC - Uniting
Address: Corner Caroline & Frank Streets, , Allansford Victoria, 3277
Allansford, VIC St Paul's Anglican
Address: 20 Frank Street, , Allansford Victoria, 3277
The Church was licenced for services on the Feast of St Mark's in 1882.
Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting
Year Built: 1906
Address: 44 Warwick Street, , Allora Queensland, 4362
The Original Church was built around 1879 while the current Church was built in 1906. The foundation stone was laid on 25th July 1906 in the presence of the Rev D McLellan.
Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican
Year Built: 1887
Address: New England Highway, , Allora Queensland, 4362
St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…
Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic
Address: 23 Dryden Street, , Alpha Queensland, 4724
Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic
Address: Railway Street North, , Altona Victoria, 3018
The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue. The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on…
Amamoor, QLD - Uniting (Former)
Year Built: 1935
Address: 17 Busby Street, , Amamoor Queensland, 4570
The Church was opened in 1935 later becoming Amamoor Uniting Church. It closed in 2017.
Amaroo, ACT - Holy Spirit Catholic
Year Built: 2007
Address: 93 Burdekin Avenue, , Amaroo Australian Capital Territoy , 2914
Holy Spirit Parish opened its doors to the Gungahlin community in 1993. Fr Bernie Patterson, Sr Genny Ryan and Sr Anne Cougle were foundational members of the parish team.
Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)
Address: 2310 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213
The Building was designed by Laird and Barlow, architects from Geelong and was opened on 9 December 1891 by Bishop Goe. The Church was closed in October 2003 and is now a private residence.
Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian
Year Built: 1865
Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213
A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.
Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic
Year Built: 1871
Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213
In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…
Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican
Year Built: 1931
Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353
The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter. The Architect was Dean W Berry.
Angaston, SA - Uniting
Year Built: 1878
Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353
Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped…
Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran
Year Built: 1861
Address: 85 Murray Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353
The Church was originally built for joint use however by 1861 there was a divide and only the Baptists kept using it until 1929. For the next 12 years it was used by building contractor G.N. Dallwitz. A Lutheran Church had been built in Hill street but when that was destroyed by fire in 1941 Dallwitz offered this building to the…
Anglesea, VIC - Anglican
Year Built: 1957
Address: 2 Camp Road, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230
Prior to 1886 occasional services were held from time to time by Anglican clergy who were visiting Anglesea. Regular services were commenced in Mr Jackson's house by Archdeacon Stretch in 1886 and were later continued by readers from Modewarre. Mr G.F. Belcher donated land for a church and in 1887. John S. Jackson, a Geelong architect…
Anglesea, VIC - Trinity Uniting
Address: 9 Murch Crescent, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230
Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The church was opened January 2 1887.
Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian
Year Built: 1886
Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038
Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…
Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican
Year Built: 1892
Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038
A commitment on 2 October 1891 was made to purchase as block of land at the corner of Booth and Johnston Streets for a price of £9 per square foot. A quote was accepted from Archibald Graham. The Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 however this was delayed due to building delays and a mistake by the builder who said he made a…
Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic
Year Built: 1912
Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038
The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…
Annerley, QLD - Baptist
Year Built: 1965
Address: 556 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
A Foundation stone reads, " Annerley Baptist Church This Foundation stone was unveiled to the Glory of God on 13th March 1965 by Mr P.J. Hancox, President Baptist Union of Queensland. Rev C.L. Miller Minister Mr J.A. Barrie Secretary Mr E.S. Jones Senior Deacon".
Annerley, QLD - Fijian Uniting
Address: 29 Cracknell Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God the foundation tablet of this church was unveiled on the twenty first of March 1925 by ? A Walker Esq BA LL B Frederick North MA Minister".
Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic
Address: 616 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
A group of parishioners approached Archbishop James Duhig with a proposal to construct a building that could serve the parish as both a church and a school. Their request was approved and land was subsequently purchased by Archbishop Duhig for £814 in October 1912. Only ten years after the opening of the original church, Archbishop…
Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox
Address: 15 Eric Crescent, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1929
Address: 33 King Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
The first church was built in 1886 at a cost of £150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of £3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church.
Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican
Year Built: 1954
Address: 115 Cromwall Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103
A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set and blessed by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 17th October 1954 J.G. Johnson Rector."
Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic
Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233
The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican
Year Built: 1905
Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233
Built in 1905.
Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian
Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153