Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1941 and 1960


Moonah, TAS - St Theresa Catholic

Moonah, TAS - St Theresa Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 24 Hopkins Street, , Moonah Tasmania, 7009

The area, New Town to Bridgewater was part of St. Mary's Cathedral Parish until Archbishop W. Hayden made Moonah a parish in 1931. Catholics formerly went to Mass in those times, either to Sacred Heart Church, New Town (built in 1880), or to old St. John the Baptist Church, Main Road, Glenorchy, which was blessed and opened by Bishop…

Read More

Moorabbin, VIC - St James Lutheran

Moorabbin, VIC - St James Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 416 South Road, , Moorabbin Victoria,

The Church was dedicated on the 24th of September 1956 by Rev E Wiebusch vice President of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Church has been turned into a block of flats and retained the original church facia. A Foundation stone reads, " Eph, 2:19:22 To the Glory of God St James Lutheran Church 18-12-1955".

Read More

Morgan, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Morgan, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1956

Address: Corner High & Seventh Streets, , Morgan South Australia, 5320

The current church was formerly St. Andrew's, (VFLCA). The Lutheran Church has been active in the Morgan area since 1880 when a congregation was established at Lindley (ELSA) and Schomburgk (ELSA) in 1887. These congregations closed in the early part of the 1900's and the members formed the basis of new congregations in Morgan. The…

Read More

Morwell, VIC - St Luke's Uniting

Morwell, VIC - St Luke's Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 279 Princes Drive, , Morwell Victoria, 3840

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 May 1953 by Reverend W.J. Hunkin B.A. B.D. The Architect was F.C. Armstrong of Rosanna and the Builder was J.W. Jones of Morwell.

Read More

Mount Compass, SA - St John's Lutheran

Mount Compass, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: School Road, , Mount Compass South Australia, 5210

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1958.

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 27 Hampden Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The church first commenced its existence as an outreach project from Hahndorf with it first service held on 15 December in the Founders room of the local Mechanics Institute. During 1958 discussions were held with the Home Mission Committee to establish a properly constituted congregation. Also it was decided the Founders room at the…

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1952

Address: 1 Magarey Crescent, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 November 1952 by Rev J.F. Hansen.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: 9 Foster Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1956 by A.C. De Garis Esq J.P.

Read More

Newmarket, QLD - St Jame's Anglican

Newmarket, QLD - St Jame's Anglican

Year Built: 1943

Address: 58 Enoggera Road, , Newmarket Queensland, 4051

The Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1943 by the Right Reverend H.H. Dixon Bishop Administrator.

Read More

Newport, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Newport, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1942

Address: 7 Newcastle Street, , Newport Victoria, 3015

The Foundation stone was laid by the Most Reverend D. Mannix D.D. L.L.D. on 17 May 1942. A red brick Modern Gothic church typical of many erected for the Catholic Church in the first half of the twentieth century. The elevation is in two gabled bays with an unusual castellated bell tower over the western bay, presumably being the…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 139 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The church was founded in 1930 as a mission-outreach congregation and to serve the needs of the students and staff of the Immanuel Seminary and Immanuel College. After about 20 years of meeting in the old Methodist church building on Tynte Street, the congregation constructed a new building, designed by one of its young members, [Sir]…

Read More

North Albury, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

North Albury, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 998 Mate Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

The Sacred Heart Parish of North Albury was established in 1955, with the Rev. Fr. S.A. Bongiorno as the Parish Priest. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 Mach 1958 by the Most Reverend F A Henschke and was completed in 1959 at a cost of ₤39,000. The bricks for the church came from Sydney as there was not a local provider big enough to…

Read More

Nowa Nowa, VIC - St George's Anglican

Nowa Nowa, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1950

The Anglican Ministry commenced in 1930 with fortnightly services conducted by Mr Charles Partridge. Mr Partridge walked 20 miles from Buchan. Services were suspended between 1939 and 1944. The Church was built in 1950 and dedicated on 10 March 1951.

Read More

Nullawil, VIC - Uniting

Nullawil, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 1 Quambatook Road, , Nullawil Victoria, 3529

A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs James Bartram a Pioneer of the district 18th July 1958".

Read More

Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican

Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Brenton Street, , Numerkah Victoria, 3636

The earliest Church of England services were held in the dining room of the original Numurkah Hotel, a weatherboard building which occupied the whole of the site, where stands today the present Numurkah Hotel and the old State Savings Bank occupied by Maurice McNamara & Co. In the early 1880's services were held in the State School…

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner Penrice & Park Avenue, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 July 1959.

Read More

Ormond, VIC - Church of Christ

Ormond, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1955

Address: Corner North & Booran Roads, , Ormond Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 July 1937 by the Most Reverend Frederick Waldegrave Head M.C. The Architect was Louis R. Williams and the builder was M.R. Peters. The first service held in the Church building was on Sunday June 14th 1925. The current Church was completed and opened on October 8th 1955 and the Christian Education…

Read More

Pinnaroo, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Pinnaroo, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1956

Address: 49 Hensley Street, , Pinnaroo South Australia, 5304

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 July 1956. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia first conducted services in Pinnaroo in July 1906. Early services were conducted in various homes of the local congregation. The Zion Lutheran Church was dedicated on 1Oth April 191 0. The first resident minister was Pastor 0. P. Kloeden.

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Reservoir, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Edwardes & Compton Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

In 1919 the land was purchased and three trustees were appointed. By the middle of 1922 a loan of £200 had been approved and by November work commenced on a weatherboard church in Ashley Street. The Builders were Messrs Mathieson, Fyfe, Irwin along with many volunteers. In 1958 a building fund was established for a new church.

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic

Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner of Spring & Viola Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The parish was founded in 1936. The first recorded Mass in Reservoir was celebrated about 1919 1920 in what was then the Church of England Hall. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Simonds on 24 January 1960. The church was built by Fred Dixon. The original name for the parish decided by the late Father Ryan of…

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - Baptist

Rosanna, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1949

Address: Corner Waiora Road & Churchill Street, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

Early services were held at the residence of the Yates family in Lower Pleny Road. The Foundation stone was laid by Dr H.D. Downing on 29 October 1949. The architects were Plaisted, Warner and Brendel. The builder was C.A Lawrence.

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 21 Arden Crescent, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend E.H. McLean Shugg B.A. on the 14th of May 1955.

Read More

St Marys, SA - Baptist

St Marys, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1956

Address: 5 Crystal Avenue, , St Marys South Australia, 5042

The Baptist Union granted a fellowship to the St Marys Baptist Congregation in 1953 with their first church being an iron and timber building relocated from Underdale to a site in St Marys. The current church was constructed adjacent to the original structure in 1965. The church operated a community kindergarten from 1953 to 1981. The…

Read More

Strathalbyn, SA - Lutheran

Strathalbyn, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Commercial Street, , Strathalbyn South Australia, 5255

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1954.

Read More

Sunshine VIC - Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Catholic

Sunshine VIC - Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1941

Address: 92 Monash Street, , Sunshine Victoria, 3020

In 1909 at a meeting of local Catholic families from English, Celtic, Maltese and Italian backgrounds that the decision was made to raise funds for a Church in Sunshine. At the time the Parish of Footscray, formed in 1890, serviced the Pastoral needs of the district of Sunshine with the first Mass celebrated in 1903 at the House of the…

Read More

Sunshine, VIC - Uniting

Sunshine, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 32 Withers Street, , Sunshine Victoria, 3020

A Foundation stone reads, : To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rev Norman Elliott B.A. President of the Methodist Conference 9th August 1958. The Rev E.V. Saynore B.A. Minister".

Read More

Taroona, TAS - Baptist

Taroona, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1953

Address: 124 Channel Highway, , Taroona Tasmania, 7053

The story of the Taroona Baptist Church has its origins in the Sandy Bay Baptist Church, which was founded in 1928 on a site purchased from the Church of England seven years earlier. In 1929 Les and Florie Escott were the earliest recorded baptisms at. Sandy Bay. Four years later they moved to Taroona and in 1936 1-45 Escott began the…

Read More

Taroona, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Taroona, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1956

Address: 173 Channel Highway, , Taroona Tasmania, 7053

Early services were held in the local Community hall from 1902 and later in the Presbyterian church. The church is made of a concrete block and cost £5,000 and was built in 1956. Additions were made in 1969.

Read More

Temora, NSW - Trinity Lutheran

Temora, NSW - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: Loftus Street, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 October 1955.

Read More

Tintinara, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Tintinara, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1950

Address: Gibb Avenue, , Tintinara South Australia, 5266

The present Lutheran congregation at Tintinara developed from two branches of Lutheranism., In 1950 a United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia (UELCA) monthly service was held in the home of Mr Les Keller and his wife Ruby. After about a year, services were conducted in the Congregational church (present CWA Hall), still on a…

Read More

Tongala, VIC - St James Anglican

Tongala, VIC - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: St James Street, , Tongala Victoria, 3621

The first church was built in 1913. During 1882 - 1883 an attempt by the Church of England to establish services in the Tongala area proved unsucessful and so it continued for a time under Rochester then in the 1890's under Tatura and later under Kyabrum. By 1912 services and Sunday school were being held in the Public Hall in Magan…

Read More

Tongala, VIC - Uniting

Tongala, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: Miller Street, , Tongala Victoria, 3621

The congregation at Tongala was virtually a continuation of that at Tongala South. In 1932 the church was extended to the north end and this included the construction of two more windows - in the style of the original windows. The building fund kept on growing and a Kindergarten room was opened in February 1958. This was opened by G B…

Read More

Toowoomba, QLD - St David's Presbyterian

Toowoomba, QLD - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1949

Address: Corner Mary & Alford Street, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350

The Foundation stone was laid on 12 November 1949 by the Right Reverend W.F. McKenzie.

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Baptist

Ulverstone, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1959

Address: 60 Alexander Road, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

The Ulverstone mission was placed under the care of the Burnie Baptist Church. Church services began in Ulverstone at the Town Hall on 15 February 1903. The Rev. George J. Mackay of the Devonport Baptist Church, assisted by Amos Sidwell of Hobart, conducted the first service. A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God this stone…

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ulverstone, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 6 Kings Parade, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

The first Anglican church in Ulverstone was opened in 1868, “on the site of the cemetery” in Leven St and remained on this site until 1893. The first service was held in Fogg's store, then in a wooden church in the cemetery, built in 1868. In 1890 plans were made for a new church on the corner of Patrick and Badger Streets, but the…

Read More

Unley, SA - St John's Lutheran

Unley, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 15 Marlborough Street, , Unley South Australia, 5061

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1958.

Read More

Upper Ferntree Gully, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Upper Ferntree Gully, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 17 Mount View Road, , Upper Ferntree Gully Victoria, 3156

The original Church was built of timber and cost 80 at Lysterfield and was blessed and opened by Archbishop Clarke in August 1906. In 1922 this Church was moved by a team of horses to the site of the present Church.* The Foundation stone of the current Church was laid on 30 May 1959 by the Right Reverend J.D. McKie M.A. Bishop…

Read More

Upwey, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Upwey, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 3 Birdwood Avenue, , Upwey Victoria, 3158

The Church records include the names of many of the stipendiary lay readers and theological students who took services throughout the hills during these early years, among whom were C. W. Woolley, C. Elliott, H. Girdlestone, E. Millard, C. Richardson, A. Gearing and W. Kent. assisting in the early years included The Revds. R. Sherwood, G.…

Read More

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 16 Yarragundry Street, , Uranquinty New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1960 by Mrs Thomas Rodham.

Read More

Victor Harbor, SA - Salvation Army

Victor Harbor, SA - Salvation Army

Year Built: 1942

Address: Corner Torrens & Crozier Road, , Victor Harbor South Australia, 5211

A Foundation stone bearing the words This building was opened on 4 April 1942 by Lt Commissioner W.R. Dalziel is attached to the building. George L Carpenter was the General.

Read More