Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Allansford, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Allansford, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Address: Frank StreetAllansford, , Victoria, 3277

Read More

Allansford, VIC - Uniting

Allansford, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Caroline & Frank Streets, , Allansford Victoria, 3277

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: 44 Warwick Street, , Allora Queensland, 4362

Read More

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: New England Highway, , Allora Queensland, 4362

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Warwick Street, , Allora Queensland, 4362

Read More

Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Address: 23 Dryden Street, , Alpha Queensland, 4724

Read More

Alpha, QLD - Uniting

Alpha, QLD - Uniting

Address: 27 Milton Street, , Alpha Queensland, 4724

Read More

Alstonville, NSW - Baptist

Alstonville, NSW - Baptist

Address: 108 Wardell Road, , Alstonville New South Wales, 2477

Read More

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Address: Railway Street North, , Altona Victoria, 3018

The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue. The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on…

Read More

Amby, QLD - St Barnabas Anglican

Amby, QLD - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: School Street, , Amby Queensland, 4455

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)

Address: 2310 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

The Building was designed by Laird and Barlow, architects from Geelong and was opened on 9 December 1891 by Bishop Goe. The Church was closed in October 2003 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter. The Architect was Dean W Berry.

Read More

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1861

Address: 85 Murray Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Church was originally built for joint use however by 1861 there was a divide and only the Baptists kept using it until 1929. For the next 12 years it was used by building contractor G.N. Dallwitz. A Lutheran Church had been built in Hill street but when that was destroyed by fire in 1941 Dallwitz offered this building to the…

Read More

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 2 Camp Road, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

Prior to 1886 occasional services were held from time to time by Anglican clergy who were visiting Anglesea. Regular services were commenced in Mr Jackson's house by Archdeacon Stretch in 1886 and were later continued by readers from Modewarre. Mr G.F. Belcher donated land for a church and in 1887. John S. Jackson, a Geelong architect…

Read More

Anglesea, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Anglesea, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Address: 9 Murch Crescent, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The church was opened January 2 1887.

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

A commitment on 2 October 1891 was made to purchase as block of land at the corner of Booth and Johnston Streets for a price of £9 per square foot. A quote was accepted from Archibald Graham. The Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 however this was delayed due to building delays and a mistake by the builder who said he made a…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Baptist

Annerley, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1965

Address: 556 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " Annerley Baptist Church This Foundation stone was unveiled to the Glory of God on 13th March 1965 by Mr P.J. Hancox, President Baptist Union of Queensland. Rev C.L. Miller Minister Mr J.A. Barrie Secretary Mr E.S. Jones Senior Deacon".

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Fijian Uniting

Annerley, QLD - Fijian Uniting

Address: 29 Cracknell Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God the foundation tablet of this church was unveiled on the twenty first of March 1925 by ? A Walker Esq BA LL B Frederick North MA Minister".

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Address: 616 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A group of parishioners approached Archbishop James Duhig with a proposal to construct a building that could serve the parish as both a church and a school. Their request was approved and land was subsequently purchased by Archbishop Duhig for £814 in October 1912. Only ten years after the opening of the original church, Archbishop…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox

Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox

Address: 15 Eric Crescent, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 33 King Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

The first church was built in 1886 at a cost of £150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of £3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church.

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican

Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 115 Cromwall Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set and blessed by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 17th October 1954 J.G. Johnson Rector."

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

Built in 1905.

Read More

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Applecross, WA - Church of Christ

Applecross, WA - Church of Christ

Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 54 Simpson Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation Stone was laid on 12 May 1957 by his Grace the Archbishop of Perth The Most Reverend R.W.H. Moline MC DD.

Read More

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 2 McKenzie Road, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1955 by the Reverend F.C. Norman Inwood. The site of the present church was first developed in the early 1950s and the original building is now the church hall.

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Address: Maryborough Biggenden Road, , Aramara Queensland,

The church was originally called Our Lady of the Way, became St Mary’s and lastly reverted to Our Lady of the Way. The Church now appears to be closed.

Read More

Ararat West, VIC - Uniting

Ararat West, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Banfield & Coad Streets, , Ararat West Victoria, 3377

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Christ

Ararat, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 90 Western Highway, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: 32 View Point Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

In October 1857, there were meetings in Ararat to work towards having a resident clergyman and school building (which could also be used for public worship.) By mid October 1857 saw the arrival of Rev'd Philip Homan as the resident clergyman to Ararat and district. In September 1863 the Rev'd Homan wrote to the Diocesan Architect to…

Read More