Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Roman Catholic


Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 33 Fawkner Street, , Aberfeldie Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone symbol of Christ chief corner stone of the church was blessed and laid by his Grace The Most Revd James R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. on 29th October 1967 Revd J.B. Wall P.P. - S.J. Moran Architect M.P. Arbon & Co Builder ".

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 350 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

Father Flanagan, Parish Priest of Moorooka, purchased a property consisting of a house and five acres of land on the corner of Beaudesert and Mortimer Roads, Coopers Plains for 2250.00 pound. The previous owner was Arthur Harper. In 1950, the hut was converted into the Church of Our Lady of Fatima, with the farmhouse as its presbytery.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. St Patrick’s Church was the principal place of Catholic worship in Adelaide until St Francis Xavier Cathedral opened on Wakefield Street in 1858. Alterations to the simple stone building of St Patrick’s Church…

Read More

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 34 Roberts Road, , Airport West Victoria, 3042

A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected to the Glory of God under the protection of St Christopher was solemeny blessed and the main altar consecrated by Most Rev John N. Cullinane D.D. V.G. P.P. on October 5th 1969. The Temple of God is sacred and you are that temple 1. Cor 3/17" - Rev F.R. J Phelan Parish Priest - Max Chester…

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 4 Fahey's Road East, , Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

It was on 4 January 1986 that the Church became a Parish in its own right. Previously the Parish was part of Our Lady and St Dympna’s Parish, Aspley and the Holy Spirit Parish, Pine Rivers. Some three or four years prior to its founding as a Parish, the Brisbane Archdiocese purchased our Parish land in Fahey’s Road, Albany Creek, with…

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Albion Park, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Address: 247 - 251 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Alice Springs, NT - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Alice Springs, NT - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 4 Hartley Street, , Alice Springs Northern Territory, 0870

In 1965 Fr. Dwyer MSC commenced preparation for the present church. Construction of a new church was underway on Lot 56 in late 1967. The foundation stone was blessed by Bishop JP O’Loughlin on 17th March, 1968. The church was officially opened on 11th May, 1969. Construction was by the Alice Springs firm Sitzler Brothers and the…

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Warwick Street, , Allora Queensland, 4362

Read More

Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Address: 23 Dryden Street, , Alpha Queensland, 4724

Read More

Altona Meadows, VIC - Queen of Peace Catholic

Altona Meadows, VIC - Queen of Peace Catholic

Address: 60 Everingham Road, , Altona Meadows Victoria, 3028

Read More

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Address: Railway Street North, , Altona Victoria, 3018

The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue. The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on…

Read More

Amaroo, ACT - Holy Spirit Catholic

Amaroo, ACT - Holy Spirit Catholic

Year Built: 2007

Address: 93 Burdekin Avenue, , Amaroo Australian Capital Territoy , 2914

Holy Spirit Parish opened its doors to the Gungahlin community in 1993. Fr Bernie Patterson, Sr Genny Ryan and Sr Anne Cougle were foundational members of the parish team.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1932

Address: 616 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A group of parishioners approached Archbishop James Duhig with a proposal to construct a building that could serve the parish as both a church and a school. Their request was approved and land was subsequently purchased by Archbishop Duhig for £814 in October 1912. Only ten years after the opening of the original church, Archbishop…

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Appin, NSW - St Bed's Catholic

Appin, NSW - St Bed's Catholic

Year Built: 1838

Address: 26 King Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560

The Foundation of the Roman Catholic Chapel was laid at Appin last week by Bishop Polding”. St Bede’s Catholic Church was officially opened on 8 October 1843. Restoration works were carried out in 1999 with a formal opening occurring in early 2000. A rustic iron sign outside the gorgeous and historically significant St Bede’s reads “The…

Read More

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Address: Maryborough Biggenden Road, , Aramara Queensland,

The church was originally called Our Lady of the Way, became St Mary’s and lastly reverted to Our Lady of the Way. The Church now appears to be closed.

Read More

Aranda, ACT - St Vincent De Paul Catholic

Aranda, ACT - St Vincent De Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 7 Bindel Street, , Aranda Australia Capital Territory, 2614

Church ministry was temporarily provided by O’Connor parish. Mass was celebrated at Macquarie Public School. The parish school opened in 1970. Mass was then available in the school hall. A church designed by Terence Daly opened in 1982.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Address: 115 Ardross Street, , Ardross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Armadale, VIC - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: 631 High Street, , Prahran Victoria, 3181

A contract for £1,121 was signed in August 1898 for the erection of the present building. This comprised the chancel, nave and aisles although the nave was not completed to its full length, and the tower and spire, located to the south of the chancel, together with a lofty and slender transept, were not built at this time. A Foundation…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 136 Dangar Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the…

Read More

Arncliffe, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Arncliffe, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1931

Address: 4 Forest Road, , Arncliffe New South Wales, 2205

The Church was designed by Clement Clancy in the Romanesque style and built in 1931. It features a distinctive 33 metre high round Celtic tower. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was blessed and laid by Archbishop Kelly Dec 3rd 1911".

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Ascot Vale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: 123 St Leonard's Road, , Ascot Vale Victoria, 3032

The Foundation stone of a new church was laid by Archbishop Mannix on 1 July 1934. The church was completed, and opened by Archbishop Mannix on 15 May 1938. It was constructed in the neo-Romanesque architectural style, a revival of the Romanesque style common in Europe between the years 900 and 1200. A full description can be reads…

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1953

Address: 270 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

The first Mass was conducted by Father Patrick Loughnan on Sunday 11 December 1927 at the Ashburton Hall located on the corner of High Street and Johnston Street, just west of the shopping centre. On 26 April 1946 Ashburton was created a parish, entrusted to the care of Father John Ryan who had been an army chaplain. As the parish grew he…

Read More

Ashbury, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Ashbury, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 54 Leopold Street, , Ashbury New South Wales, 2193

The Parish was established in 1928 with Fr McMahon as our first pastor. The foundation stone for the first building was laid in 1929 and into the foundations was buried a stone which had come from the church in Malacca where St. Francis Xavier had preached the Gospel. In 1930 which was to have a significant and continuing influence on…

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 202 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 September 1955 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Michael's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 250 Banks Street, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of Saint Michael Dorrington This Foundation stone was laid and blessed by his Grace Most Rev Francis Rush D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane 1st December 1974. Rev G.N. Lahiffe CS Sp PP".

Read More

Aspendale, VIC St Mary of the Cross Catholic

Aspendale, VIC St Mary of the Cross Catholic

Address: 37 Dolphin Street, , Aspendale Victoria, 3195

Read More

Asquith, NSW - St Patricks Catholic

Asquith, NSW - St Patricks Catholic

Address: Cnr Royston Parade & Baldwin Avenue, , Asquith New South Wales, 2077

Read More

Auburn, NSW - St John of God Catholic

Auburn, NSW - St John of God Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: 2 Alice Street, , Auburn New South Wales, 2144

The Church was built in 1915 in the Federation style. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. Blessed and laid by Michael Archbishop of Sydney April 9th 1916".

Read More

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Elder Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

A former Wesleyan church this Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 by Joseph Meller and Scott. Constructed from Auburn bluestone it has symbolic pillars capped with open bible design, stone cuts with fine lines. The building was later used as a Sunday School when the Wesleyans and Methodists merged until it was sold to the Catholic…

Read More

Auchenflower, QLD - Holy Spirit Catholic

Auchenflower, QLD - Holy Spirit Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 17 Harriett Street, , Auchenflower Queensland, 4066

Read More

Avalon Beach, NSW - Maria Regina Catholic

Avalon Beach, NSW - Maria Regina Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 7 Central Road, , Avalon Beach New South Wales, 2107

A wall plaque reads, " This Church dedicated to Maria Regina was blessed and opened by his Eminence James Cardinal Freeman Archbishop of Sydney on 25th August 1974". A further plaque reads, "The garden and entrance of the Maria Regina Church Avalon were revitalised in 2004 into a welcoming and assembly area for the people. This…

Read More

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Queen & Plummer Streets, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

The Church was moved from the Sydney Road area to Queen Street.

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Barnett & Cambridge Streets, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

A brick church of 1872 with pointed windows, buttresses, porch and vestry. The current Church was opened on 18 November 1979. It was to be made on red bricks made from Avoca clay. P. & A. Coutts of Horsham were the Architects.

Read More