Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.
Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic
Year Built: 1885
Address: Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2853
The Church was built in 1885 at a cost of £2250. The design is Flemish bonding on red brickwork. It replaced an earlier Catholic Church which was built during the town's first goldrush.
Gundagai, NSW - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1986
Address: Otway Street, , Gundagai New South Wales, 2722
The earliest ministry in the Gundagai area came from Rev C.F. Brigstoke from Yass The Foundation stone of the church was laid on 19 September 1861 by Right Reverend Barker Lord Bishop of Sydney. Mr George Hart a local resident designed the church. The Church is built of local slate and the roof was originally "battered and shingled and…
Healesville, VIC - St John's Anglican
Address: Symons Street, , Healesville Victoria, 3777
The first denominational building in Healesville was the Church of England. In the late 1860's on a plot of land ( CAll, ( CA 11, Section F ) donated in perpetuity by John Chandler, chandler and John Carter built a small paling and shingle church with timber cut from nearby trees; this is where the vicarage now stands. This building was…
Heathcote, VIC - St John's Anglican
Address: Northern Highway, , Heathcote Victoria, 3523
The Church was constructed by local builders Flee and Bell to the design of Bendigo based architects Vahland & Getzschmann. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Charles Perry on the afternoon of Monday the 11th May 1868 and officially opened for services on the 3rd October 1869. The bell was a gift by Messrs Christie and Spinks.…
Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1849
Address: 1 Burgundy Street, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084
One of Melbourne's earliest churches it was built between 1849 and 1851 in Gothic style to a design by John Gill. The architect was Mr G. R. Cox who had designed an early English Gothic church of brick with a square tower. Heidelberg was originally called Warrigal and the first Anglican clergyman to be stationed there was the Rev. Dr…
Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic
Year Built: 1909
Address: Corner Cape & Yarra Streets, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084
The Church was designed by William W Wardell and commenced in 1860 under the supervision of J B Denny. It was completed in 1909 largely to Wardell's design, under Kempson and Conolly. The Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1909 by the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne.
Hendra, QLD - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1953
Address: 12 Barilda Street, , Hendra Queensland, 4011
A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God This stone was laid on Sunday 10th May 1953 by The Right Rev H H Dixon MA Th D Bishop Coadjutor of Brisbane".
Henty, NSW - St John's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1935
Address: Corner Ivor & Hay's Streets, , Henty New South Wales, 2658
The Foundation stone was laid by H.W. Taylor Esq on 5 June 1935.
Highton, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1866
Address: Corner Roslyn & South Valley Road, , Highton Victoria, 3216
The first recorded services in Highton were held in 1858 in the Church of England Day school opposite the cemetery in Barrabool Road. The Foundation stone for St John's was laid on 22 November 1866 by The Very Venerable H.B. Mccartney and was opened 1 January 1867. On 22 July 1926 a tornado struck the church, unroofed it and demolished…
Hobart, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican (former)
Year Built: 1852
Address: Corner Goulburn & Forest Road, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000
This former church is now a set of private residences. A modest stone church in Gothic-Revival style set on irregular corner site, the major aspect of the building reveals an unusual occurrence in Gothic design - the building is visually very heavy, the result of a naturally steep site and creating a level across the contours. The…
Hobart, TAS - St John's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1843
Address: 188 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000
A stone church in non-conformist neo-classical style. THE first service in Hobart was conducted by an ordained Presbyterian minister was in 1823 at the corner of Macquarie and Murray streets, and the first Presbyterian church was built at Bathurst Street. In 1840 a building committee was formed with ex-convict, architect James Thomson…
Holt, ACT - St John the Apostle Catholic
Address: 25 Blackham Street, , Holt Australian Capital Territory, 2615
Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican
Year Built: 1957
Address: Baillie Street, , Horsham Victoria, 3400
The first resident Priest was the Rev J.M. Watson who began his services in the Mechanics Institute.Within a year of his arrival a vicarage was built and ready for occupation in February 1877. The original St Johns was opened and dedicated on April 29 1877 by Bishop Samuel Thornton of the newly established Ballarat Diocese. The…
Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1960
Address: Corner Nicholas & Roderwick Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305
The first public gathering of Lutherans in the District was held on Reformation day 1858 in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The land on which the church currently stands was granted to the Lutherans on 17 November 1862. A small brick church was erected and dedicated 26 June 1864. The current church was erected in 1960 and dedicated on…
Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic
Address: Old Hume Highway, , Jugiong New South Wales, 2726
Kalkallo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian
Year Built: 1860
Address: 3 Cameron Street, , Kalkallo Victoria, 3064
The church was dedicated on 9 December 1860, having been erected earlier that year by William Brown of Darraweit Guim. It was designed by the architect Thomas Taylor, whose previous designs included two churches at nearby Bulla and the Melbourne Grammar School. The total cost of St John's church was £1,271 15s Od, paid for by local…
Kapunda, SA - St John's (Trinity) Lutheran
Year Built: 1880
Address: South Terrace, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373
Regular services commenced as early as 1880 at Bagot Well, mainly in the homes of various members including those of J.H. Schultz and Mr and Mrs Rudolf Hoffmann. In 1900, Pastor J. J. Stolz came to Light Pass and the services at Bagot Well ceased. In 1905, members of Immanuel Synod settled near Kapunda, and desired a church of their…
Kingaroy, QLD - St John's Lutheran
Address: 36 Markwell Street, , Kingaroy Queensland, 4610
Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1963
Address: Cameron Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275
The Foundation stone was laid on 27 October 1963 by Rev K.E. Thamm.
Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic
Year Built: 1962
Address: 170 Station Street, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981
The Foundation stone was laid on 23 December 1962 by the Most Reverend Patrick Lyons D.D. Bishop of Sale.
Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1894
Services were first held in the Schoolroom. The old Millhouse was aquired in 1879 and this was used as the Church from that year to 1894. The Church was dedicated 2nd September 1894. The Foundation stone of the Rectory was laid on 7 November 1882 by Miss Rose Maslin of Bundaleer.
Lake Tyers, VIC - St Johns Anglican
Lake Tyers was an Aboriginal mission station established in 1861 when John Bulmer persuaded the Government to set aside 4,000 acres of land as a reserve for aboriginals. St Johns was dedicated by Canon Chase in 1870.
Lang Lang, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1959
Address: 6 Whitstable Street, , Lang Lang Victoria, 3984
The old church was transported from another site. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rt Rev David Arthur Garnsey M.A. Th. D. Fifth Bishop of Gippsland on 28th February 1959. Louis R Williams F.R.A.I.A. Architect - H.B. Kirby B.A. Thl Rector".
Launceston, TAS - St John's Anglican
Address: 157 St John Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250
The first foundation stone was laid on the 28th of December 1824 by the Governor of Van Dieman's Land, Sir George Arthur, on land consecrated by the Reverend Samuel Marsden of New South Wales. Construction of the first church was carried out by convict labour. The bricks were made from clay dug n the area opposite the church. The tower…
Laura, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican
Year Built: 1875
Address: 4 North Terrace, , Laura South Australia, 5480
The town of Laura was surveyed in 1871 and in August 1873, the church acquired Blocks 1 and 3 at £17 Ten Shillings each; portion of Block I is still retained, thereon being erected the Church of St. John and the Parish Hall. The first known church of England service in Laura was conducted by the Rev. Hartley Williams, a missionary from…
Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1962
Address: Maiden Street, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705
Built of brick the church was opened on 8 July 1962.
Lennox Head, NSW - St John the Baptist Anglican
Year Built: 2002
Address: Corner Fern and Byron Street, , Lennox Head New South Wales, 2478
A Foundation stone reads, "This foundation stone of The Church of St John the Baptist was laid by Bishop Philip Huggins on 7th December 2002 We acknowledge past care of this land by - The Bundjalung Nation". A plaque reads, "The Church of St John the Baptist Lennox Head was dedicated and consecrated by The Right Rev'd Keith Slater…
Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican
Year Built: 1886
Address: Corner Jones & Castella Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140
Land for an Anglican church was purchased in February 1867 and construction commenced the following year. The first service in the completed building was held in October 1868. The memorial stone was laid by Baroness De Pury on 25 September 1886.
Lismore, VIC - St John's Catholic
Year Built: 1950
Address: High Street, , Lismore Victoria, 3324
The Foundation stone was laid by W.H Johnson Bishop of Ballarat 18 August 1950.
Lucknow, NSW - St John the Evangelist
Address: 5 Newman Street, , Lucknow New South Wales, 2800
Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran
Address: 3 Margaret Street, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351
Maitland, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican
Year Built: 1873
Address: Caroline Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573
From 1873 church services were held at Ynoo at the Government well, in local homes and huts. The following year saw the church foundation stone laid on 8 December by Mrs S Rogers. A porch as Vestry were added in 1901. The church was upgraded and re built in 1976 when unique stained glass windows were added.
Malmsbury, VIC - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1861
Address: Brodie Street, , Malmsbury Victoria, 3446
The first church service in Malmsbury was held in what was Mr French's store when the Rev'd James Sullivan was then Rector of Kyneton. A wall plaque reads, "St John the Evangelist Church 1861. Bishop Perry laid the foundation stone watched by 300 people in Nov 1861. Built of local bluestone the church was opened in 1866 and cost…
Mansfield, VIC - St John's Anglican
Address: Corner Highett & Victoria Streets, , Mansfield Victoria, 3722
The Foundation stone for the original Church was laid on 5 September 1865 by Mr Alfred Chenery J.P. The first service was held in May of 1866. Consecration of the Church took place on 9 November 1887 and was performed by the Right Rev Bishop Filed Flowers Geo. The Parish Hall was approved for construction in 1906 and was to be of…
Meningie, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican
Year Built: 1953
Address: Princes Highway, , Meningie South Australia, 5264
The Church was built in memory of Margaret H. Bowman (1953).
Metung, VIC - St John's Anglican
Address: 39 Stirling Road, , Metung Victoria, 3904
A plaque on the Church wall reads, " St John's Metung first dedicated 1891 Consecrated for divine worship on this site by the Bishop of Melbourne Bishop Field Flowers Goe 11 November 1897. This plaque commemorates 100 years of service to the community. 16 November 1997".
Minyip, VIC - St John's Lutheran
Year Built: 1889
Address: Corner Carroll & Church Street, , Minyip Victoria, 3392
The first church services were held in 1874 in Mr A. Prices home. A wooden church was erected the following year on land donated by Mr C Petering at Kirchham. The Church was originally located at Kirchheim and erected in 1889. In 1935 the church was moved to Minyip. Made of rectangular plan timber and weatherboard with pointed lancet…
Molong, NSW - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1905
Address: 42 Edward Street, , Molong New South Wales, 2866
A Foundation stone reads in part, " This stone was laid A.M.D.G. by Mrs James Lee of Lappas ??? October ??? 1905".
Moss Vale, NSW - St John's Anglican
Address: Browley Street, , Moss Vale New South Wales, 2577
Mount Alford, QLD - St John's Lutheran
Address: 918 Reckumpilla Street, , Mount Alford Queensland, 4310
Established in 1909. The first Lutheran services in Mount Alford were held in the School of Arts by Pastor Christian Wilhelm Seybold. On 23 October 1908, a meeting was held that decided to build a church. Mr Wissemann offered an acre of land. By December 1908, local Lutherans had raised £120 towards a church building. The church was…