Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Saint: Luke


Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1855

Address: 21 Whitmore Square, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide. Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Address: 436 Guinea Street, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

A Foundation stone for a new Church was laid on 28 September 1938.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Bendigo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 487 Napier Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

Read More

Berry, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Berry, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 68A Pricess Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535

Read More

Blandford, NSW - St Luke's Anglican (Former)

Blandford, NSW - St Luke's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 90 Salidbury Street, , Blandford New South Wales, 2338

Sold in 2016.

Read More

Canungra, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Canungra, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 15 Kidston Street, , Canungra Queensland, 4275

On 18 October 1936 the Church was officially opened and dedicated by Archbishop William Wand. The building was designed by architect Raymond Clare Nowland and the contractor was Gordon Rhodes, supervised by architect Thomas Percy. It was built in the Old English Gothic style using rose cedar.

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Luke's Hungarian Reformed Church

Clifton Hill, VIC - St Luke's Hungarian Reformed Church

Year Built: 1870

Formerly a Church of England church built in 1879. It was sold to the Hungarian Reformed church in 1979. The original foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1870.

Read More

Clovelly, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Clovelly, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: Corner Arden & Varna Streets, , Clovelly New South Wales, 2031

Read More

Cockatoo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Cockatoo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: McBride Street, , Cockatoo Victoria, 3781

Read More

Dapto, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Dapto, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 35 Prince Edward Drive, , Dapto New South Wales, 2530

A plaque on the wall of the entrance gate reads, " These memorial gates presented by Miss M.J. S. Ledger - To the memory of George Brown the donor of these church lands and his family. God is Love. Aug 1930".

Read More

Devon North, VIC - St Luke's Uniting

Devon North, VIC - St Luke's Uniting

Address: 686 Tarra Valley Road, , Devon North Victoria, 3971

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Dookie, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 26 - 36 Baldock Street, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

The Church was constructed in c.1892 by local builders Alexander and Torgrimson, who also provided the furniture. Dedication of the new church was performed by the Bishop of Wangaratta on Friday 31 July 1903. A rectory was built to the east of the church in 1895. This was sold in 1976 and relocated to Tocumwal Road, near Devenish for use…

Read More

Emerald, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Emerald, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 40 Theresa Street, , Emerald Queensland, 4720

In 1894 a special meeting of Anglican parishioners was called at 8pm at Presbyterian Church. A building committee was formed for raising money and building an English Church in Emerald. Only one year later the Bishop of Rockhampton, Nathanial Dawes. D.D. travelled to Emerald on 11th Aug 1895 for the dedication of Saint Luke's Church, a…

Read More

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 11 Stanmore Road, , Enmore New South Wales, 2042

In 1882 the land for the present site on Enmore Road was purchased. The Foundation Stone was laid on 4 March 1882. It took less than three months to complete the church building which was opened in 18 June 1882. The total cost was over £3,200. As with most churched, renovations were carried out over the years however exact dates are…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Frankston, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 62 McMahons Road, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

Read More

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Upper Freestone Road, , Freestone Queensland, 4370

On June 5th 1883, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge based in London, made a grant of £20 towards the cost of constructing a wooden Church at Freestone Creek, the total cost of this Church was £175. The land was donated by the Palmer family. Services prior to the building of St Lukes were held at the home of Mr Shelley. The…

Read More

Gulgong, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Gulgong, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1876

Address: 64 Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2852

A Romanesque, Gothic revival church designed by noted colonial architect Edmund Thomas Blacket. The bell tower is of wood with the bell surrounded by lattice work. It was built out of local stone at a cost of £650 in 1876. Built of rubble stone with brick facings, the dimensions being 80 feet long by a breadth of 37 feet, 13 feet walls,…

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1889

Address: 26 Denison Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Church was built of brick with a shingle roof in 1889 from designs by A Blackett son of E.T. Blackett. In 1911 the chancel and vestries were added and from time to time other improvements have been effected. The Church was licenced on 11/11/1889 by Bishop Thomas. It was consecrated on 29/11/1898 by Bishop Barlow. The east window is a…

Read More

Lalor, VIC - St Luke's Catholic

Lalor, VIC - St Luke's Catholic

Address: 30 David Street, , Lalor Victoria, 3075

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: 2 Cotton Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

The first Anglican services in the Latrobe district were held at Ballahoo on the western bank of the Mersey River. In 1868 Latrobe School Church was opened at a cost of £145 and in 1871 it was still a school church. A Church was consecrated in 1887 and in 1892 Church News stated that there were plans for a new Church. Plans for a new…

Read More

Loomberah, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Loomberah, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Cnr Monteray & Duri Dungowan Roads, , Loomerah New South Wales, 2340

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This Church was dedicated in honour of St Luke by the Bishop of Armidale 1964. Canon G.A. Baker Vicar".

Read More

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: West Terrace, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

Lutheran services in the area go back to 1931 when Pastor T.G. Obst held services in a private home in Narrung. Services were also held in Wood Well. By the 1950's services were held in the Anglican church by Pastor Leo Doecke. On 5 May 1957 it was decided at a meeting to form a separate ELCA congregation from that of the Tailem Bend…

Read More

Morwell, VIC - St Luke's Uniting

Morwell, VIC - St Luke's Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 279 Princes Drive, , Morwell Victoria, 3840

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 May 1953 by Reverend W.J. Hunkin B.A. B.D. The Architect was F.C. Armstrong of Rosanna and the Builder was J.W. Jones of Morwell.

Read More

Richmond, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Richmond, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1834

Address: Church Street, , Richmond Tasmania, 7025

Of Georgian design the church is built of sandstone from a design by colonial architect John Lee Archer and erected between 1834 and 1836. The foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1834 by Governor Arthur. The church was still uncompleted when the sexton William Chambers and Mary Heyward were married on 11 March 1836. The subscribers…

Read More

Sarina, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Sarina, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 56 Broad Street, , Sarina Queensland, 4737

The laying of the Foundation stone occurred in 1909 and the present St. Luke's Church, possibly round about shortly afterwards the dedication of the Church too place, both ceremonies being conducted by Revd Hely Wilson. Occasionally a priest came out from Mackay to celebrate Holy Communion. In 1924 the then church building was…

Read More

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1966

Address: Tenth Street, , Snowtown South Australia, 5520

The first Lutheran settler in the Snowtown area was Gottlieb Ferdinand Welke who settled there in 1873. More families arrived in later years and formed the Condowie congregation. However the first Lutheran services in Snowtown were conducted in 1951 by Pastor R.F. Blaess of Balaclava under the ELCA banner. Numbers were small and…

Read More

South Melbourne, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

South Melbourne, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 221 Dorcas Street, , South Melbourne Victoria, 3205

St Luke's was erected in 1857, enlarged in 1859 and consecrated in May 1861 as the parish Church for the growing municipality of Emerald Hill (South Melbourne). The design of the cruciform plan timber roofed church, constructed of basalt with minimal freestone dressings and originally intended to be crowned by a lofty tower and spire, is…

Read More

Tailem Bend, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Tailem Bend, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: North Terrace, , Tailem Bend South Australia, 5259

The Foundation stone was laid by Archdeacon Bussell on 8 August 1926.

Read More

Taroona, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Taroona, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1956

Address: 173 Channel Highway, , Taroona Tasmania, 7053

Early services were held in the local Community hall from 1902 and later in the Presbyterian church. The church is made of a concrete block and cost £5,000 and was built in 1956. Additions were made in 1969.

Read More

Tarragindi, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Tarragindi, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 193 Ekibin Road E, , Tarragindi Queensland, 4121

A plaque reads, " This Peace Memorial Church has been erected in Gratitude to God for the ending of hostilities and to perpetuate the memory of thos who made the supreme sacrifice 1939 - 1945".

Read More

Toowoomba, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Toowoomba, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Address: Corner Ruthven & Herries Streets, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350

A small school room was first erected on the site in 1857. In the 1860s, a fund was begun to finance a new and more substantial Church. Land situated near the new railway station was offered by the Honourable James Taylor and it was decided to use this land to erect the new Church, which was dedicated to St James in 1869. In 1894 plans…

Read More

Torquay, VIC - St Lukes Anglican

Torquay, VIC - St Lukes Anglican

Address: 17 Pride Street, , Torquay Victoria, 3228

While early Anglican families gathered for worship at odd times from 1917, regular services began on the first Sunday in August in 1946 and were held in the Torquay Public Hall. The Ladies' Guild was formed on the 14th of August in the same year. The St Luke's Church building was transported from Fyansford in March 1947, and dedicated…

Read More

Weethalle, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Weethalle, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Built of brick and timber the Foundation stone was laid on 2 December 1956 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Wolumla, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Wolumla, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 15 Bega Street, , Wolumla New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Woolloongabba, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Woolloongabba, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 43 Taylor Street, , Woolloogabba Queensland, 4102

Prior to the construction of St Luke's, Buranda, the Catholic community in the area was part of the parish of the combined districts of Coorparoo and Ipswich Road formed in 1913 when Father J. O'Leary was appointed the first parish priest. The Church was designed by Brisbane architect Frank Leo Cullen and built in the Spanish Mission…

Read More

Yea, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Yea, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: Corner Lyons & Pelissier Street, , Yea Victoria, 3717

Originally all denominations in this beautiful farming community met for worship in a wooden building which served as both Church and Parsonage. Though intended for all those of protestant evangelical persuasion the first preacher in 1857 was Mr Ashe and Anglican lay preacher. A Mrs L Kerr came to the rescue of the Anglicans to build…

Read More

Yeoval, NSW - St Luke's Anglican (Former)

Yeoval, NSW - St Luke's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1924

Address: 11 Obley Street, , Yeoval New South Wales, 2868

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by George Merrick Long D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 20th Feb 1924".

Read More