Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia, Denomination: Uniting


Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: 12 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Pilgrim Church traces its roots back to Adelaides early Wesleyans and Congregationalists. A Wesleyan chapel in Pirie Street was opened in 1851 and became known as the Pirie Street Methodist Church. Stow Memorial Congregational Church, in Flinders Street, was dedicated in 1867. The two churches were back-to-back and were divided by a high…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1851

Address: 237 North Terrace, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Scots Church Adelaide was originally called Chalmers Free Church. It was built by a group of Presbyterians who supported the Free Church of Scotland. They called Reverend John Gardner from Scotland to establish a church in South Australia. He arrived in Adelaide in March 1850 and immediately set about purchasing the land on the corner of…

Read More

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Station Place, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

The Foundation stone was laid by J Formby Esq on 6 April 1880.

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Address: Sherlaw Avenue, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1863

Address: Old Coach Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

The Uniting Church was constructed as the Aldinga Methodist Church and opened in 1863 during a period of active church building throughout the district. Services for Methodists in the Aldinga area had been held in other locations previously, but this church was the focus of their worship from the 1860's onwards. Stone church with brick…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped…

Read More

Ardrossan, SA - Uniting

Ardrossan, SA - Uniting

Address: 22 Fourth Street, , Ardrossan South Australia, 5571

The Ardrossan Methodist Church began in the home of Mr.G. Webb. When the room was too small services were held under a large pepper tree near the house. Freeman's Mill later became the venue for worship. The church building was opened on the 24th. of March 1878 with a congregation of 80 and a Sunday School of 35. The Sunday School Hall…

Read More

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: Main Road, , Ashbourne South Australia, 5157

The Church was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church. It was built in 1891.

Read More

Auburn, SA - Uniting

Auburn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Main North Road, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

Opened in 1861 this former Bible Christian Chapel was built by Joseph Meller. The building is of Auburn bluestone and Watervale sandstone. William Threadgold was the carpenter. The first services were holed in a blacksmiths shop in 1850. The Church is of simply gabled hall with rather austere wall surfaces relieved by Romanesque derived…

Read More

Balhannah, South Australia - Uniting

Balhannah, South Australia - Uniting

Address: 3 Bridge Street, , Balhannah South Australia, 5242

The church had its beginnings with the building of the Methodist church at Bonney Flat in 1859.

Read More

Barmera, SA - Uniting

Barmera, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1922

Address: 80 Nookamka Terrace, , Barmera South Australia, 5345

A wall plaque reads, " The first solid construction church built in Bamera opened 10 September 1922 as the Congregational Church Barmera National Trust of S.A. A foundation stone reads " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Rev G. Rayner Chairman of the Congregational Union S.A. March 4 1922".

Read More

Belair, SA - Uniting

Belair, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 4 February 1928 by Mrs Arthur H. Gault.

Read More

Berri, SA - Uniting

Berri, SA - Uniting

Address: 3 Denny Street, , Berri South Australia, 5343

A wall plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this tablet was placed by The Rev Arthur B. Lloyd President of Conference February 22nd 1936".

Read More

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Main Street, , Birdwood South Australia, 2446

The Foundation stone was laid on 1 December 1956 by Mr E.T. Pflaum.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Uniting

Bordertown, SA - Uniting

Address: Corner Decourcey & McLeod Streets, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 407 Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Originally a Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1929 by Miss Carvosso.

Read More

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Address: 442 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Built as a Methodist Church, the foundation stone was laid on the 1st of May, 1864. It was the for runner of the first church built in Sturt Road in 1847. The first members of the church met in private homes on Sturt Road. As a rural community the first service was held in the 1840's in a dugout with an upturned boat serving as a roof.…

Read More

Burnside, SA - St David's Uniting

Burnside, SA - St David's Uniting

Address: 492 Glynburn Road, , Burnside South Australia, 5066

A foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1962 by the Bishop of Adelaide C.W. Muceke.

Read More

Bute, SA - Uniting

Bute, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1902

Address: Corner First & Third Streets, , Bute South Australia, 5560

A Foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1902 by P Jackson Esq J.P. There is another on the corner of the building that is dated 1894. The church was opened on 16th November 1902 and replaced an earlier timber framed iron building opened on 15/11/1885. Prior to the erection of this building, Primitive Methodist services had begun about…

Read More

Clare, SA - Uniting

Clare, SA - Uniting

Address: Victoria Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453

The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1857 and listed by State Heritage. The chapel is located next to the Methodist Church which was opened in 1867. In recent times the two churches have been joined. The Foundation stone was laid on 22nd July 1866 and opened on 17th March 1867.

Read More

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 318 Goodwood Road, , Clarence Park South Australia, 5034

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1925 by Mrs Andrew Linn. The Architect was Hurbert Henry Cowell.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 560 Goodwood Road, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The land was bought for $1,211.00 (£25.00) and other than the names of the trustees, little is known of the first seventy five years. The old Church was built in 1854, and is one of the oldest suburban Churches in the State. When the section of ground opposite was purchased by the Government and sub divided into residential blocks and…

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1921

Address: Western Highway, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

Formerly a Congregational church the foundation stone was laid on 21 February 1921 by the Mr G.E. Venning.

Read More

Croydon Park, SA - Uniting

Croydon Park, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 310 Torrens Road, , Croydon Park South Australia, 5008

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1959 by Mrs J.H. Stunell.

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - Uniting

Crystal Brook, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: Adelaide Square, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

Several foundation stones appear to have been laid on 6 June 1912. They include one by Si Day H Bosanquet Governor of South Australia. The others include one by Mr J.C. Symons, Mr F.J Johnson and Reverend Henry Howard. The adjacent Hall was opened in 1967.

Read More

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Fourth Street, , Curramulka South Australia, 5580

Formerly a Methodist Church the Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1911 by Mrs C Lovelock.

Read More

Delamare, SA - Uniting

Delamare, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Address: Yoho Road, , Delamere South Australia, 5204

Formerly a Wesleyan / Methodist church it was opened in 1858. The porch was opened in 1983. There is an ancillary cemented-stone building immediately to the north, as a hall and Sunday School room. [On that building is a white marble tablet, commemorating 70 years of Church life, at December 1928.

Read More

Edithburgh, SA - Uniting

Edithburgh, SA - Uniting

Formerly a Methodist Church. The Original church was opened on Christmas day 1874. A second church was erected in 1909 and the foundation stone was laid on 3 November 1909 by Mr C.S. Roberts.

Read More

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1919

Address: 30 Giles Street, , Encounter Bay South Australia, 5211

Called the Jeffries Memorial Church the foundation stone was laid on 1 November 1919 by Mr R.T. Sweetman. The connection with the Jefferis family was quite extensive. A photo of Dr Jefferis hangs in the church, the land was given by Mrs Jefferis and the preaching desk was also donated by Mrs Jefferis. The original Communion table…

Read More

Enfield Sefton Park, SA - Uniting

Enfield Sefton Park, SA - Uniting

Address: 2 Park Street, , Enfield Sefton Park South Australia, 5083

Formerly a Methodist Church. The seeds that brought the Enfield Uniting Church into fruition were sown around 1853 when the Rev. D.J. Draper, from the Pirie Street Wesleyan Methodist Church, asked Mr. William Short, then aged 33 years, if he would conduct services in his home at California Street, Nailsworth as there was no Wesleyan…

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Uniting

Eudunda, SA - Uniting

Address: Weigall Street, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

Read More

Gawler, SA - Uniting

Gawler, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1850

Address: 21 Tod Street, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The first church was built in 1850 and that building still functions as the “Corner Shop” Opportunity shop. The church was quite small, 13.9m [40ft] by 7.6m [25ft], and seating 140 people. Constructed of hammer-dressed shale set on a cement-rendered plinth, the church is symmetrical about the central entrance of the south-facing…

Read More

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1920

Address: Corner High & Cross Streets, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Reverend T.G. White was the Architect of the Church.

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 92 Jetty Road, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in Gordon Street and the builder was Mr J.J. Moseley. The second church was built in Jetty Road and the foundation stone was laid on 18 April 1859. The Architect was Mr James MacGeorge and built by Messrs Lines and Cook. The third and current church was built and the foundation stone for this building was laid…

Read More

Glenunga, SA - Uniting

Glenunga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1927

Address: 138 L'Estrange Street, , Glenunga South Australia, 5064

A Foundation stone was laid 27 August 1927 by Mrs P.A. McBride.

Read More

Golden Grove, SA - Uniting

Golden Grove, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Golden Grove & Greenwith Road, , Golden Grove South Australia, 5125

In 1863 Mr Paul Roberts son of Thomas Roberts of Greenwith Farm donated the land for a Primitive Methodist church which later became known as the Greenwith Chapel. Before the church was built services were held in the cellar of the home of Thomas and Hannah Roberts. The Foundation stone was laid on 15 November 1863 by Mrs Thomas…

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Uniting

Goolwa, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Bingham Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Church was built in 1861 with transepts added in 1881

Read More

Grange, SA - Uniting

Grange, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1964 by the Ex President of the Conference the Reverend G.T. Inglis B.A. B.D.

Read More

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 6 Kapunda Road, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

Formerly a Methodist church, the Foundation stone was laid on 19 September 1954 by D.. Branson Esq.

Read More