Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


Mt Barker, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Mt Barker, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: Hutchison Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 27 Hampden Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The church first commenced its existence as an outreach project from Hahndorf with it first service held on 15 December in the Founders room of the local Mechanics Institute. During 1958 discussions were held with the Home Mission Committee to establish a properly constituted congregation. Also it was decided the Founders room at the…

Read More

Mt Pleasant, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Mt Pleasant, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1860

Address: 3241 Eden Valley Road, , Mount Pleasant South Australia, 5235

On 16th December 1859 the foundation of a new church was laid on a piece of land originally vested for the purpose in the names of the Lord Bishop, Charles James Cook and Henry Giles, both of Mount Pleasant and William Forrest and John Bennett, both of South Rhine. The walls of the building were completed by March 1860 and the church…

Read More

Mt Pleasant, SA - Uniting

Mt Pleasant, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1866

Address: 9 Saleyard Road, , Mount Pleasant South Australia, 5235

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the church was erected in 1866 following the destruction of the Mt Crawford church due to an earthquake. The Manse was built in 1867.

Read More

Murbko, SA - Lutheran

Murbko, SA - Lutheran

Address: Murbko Road, , Murbko South Australia, 5320

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Year Built: 1882, 1938

Address: Swanport Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first Lutheran services were held in 1882 in a shed used by railway construction employees. This continued until 1884 when Mr F.W. Jaench offered a room in his home. He later sold a piece of his land for a church and an even further offer was made by Johann Gottlob Jaensch who subsidsed 10 shillings for every 1.00 raised. The…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Florence & Charles Streets, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first services were held in a local schoolhouse and then for two years in one of the local halls. The first Holy Cross church was erected in 1909 at the corner of Clara and McHenry Streets and was used up until 1925. The foundation stone was laid in May by Pastor Appelt and the church was dedicated on 31 October 1909. The…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Redemmer Catholic

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Redemmer Catholic

Year Built: 1910

Address: 2 Park Terrace, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The builder of the Church was Mr F. Fricker of Adelaide. The contract was signed on 15 July 1910 for a cost of 1230.00 not including furnishings. The Foundation stone was laid on 4 September 1910. Built form Murray Bridge freestone the nave was to be 25ft wide while its length was to be 45ft with seating for 250 people. Mr T Bartlett…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - St John the Baptist Anglican

Murray Bridge, SA - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Mannum Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

In 1884 Anglicans held services at the newly-opened Bridge-port Hotel. Their first Church, the Church of St. John the Baptist,was built in 1887 at a cost of £434-l0-0. It is a plain, small limestone building with an unfinished porch. For several years it was under the control of the River Murray Mission, which also used a steamboat…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Uniting

Murray Bridge, SA - Uniting

Address: 1 Narooma Boulevard, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

Read More

Myponga, SA - Uniting

Myponga, SA - Uniting

Address: Main Street, , Myponga South Australia, 5202

Read More

Myrtle Bank, SA - Glen Osmond Baptist

Myrtle Bank, SA - Glen Osmond Baptist

Address: 312 Glen Osmond Road, , Myrtle Bank South Australia, 5064

In 1882, it started as a preaching station out of Parkside Baptist and by 1884 it was recognised as a church in its own right and a member church of the South Australian Baptist Union (now Baptist Churches SA). The church was built in 1883, funded very largely by Mr G.S. Fowler, who also regularly provided funds for payment of its…

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Church of Christ

Naracoorte, SA - Church of Christ

Address: Jenkins Avenue, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Historical Church

Naracoorte, SA - Historical Church

Address: 10 Robertson Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Naracoorte, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The original church was built in 1858 and later became the Sunday School hall. The land was donated by Mr William McIntosh as was the church bell. The current church was erected in 1874 1875 at a cost of 3,000. The slate roof on the spire was replaced with aluminium in 1953 and again in 1990. Built in solid limestone structure of…

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1952

Address: 1 Magarey Crescent, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 November 1952 by Rev J.F. Hansen.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Naracoorte, SA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: Gordon Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Church was built of solid limestone in 1880. A Foundation stone was laid on 8 December 1968 by E. R. Lawson Esq.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Naracoorte, SA - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: Gordon Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 March 1937 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Naracoorte, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: 9 Foster Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1956 by A.C. De Garis Esq J.P.

Read More

Normanville, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Normanville, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1858

Address: Willis Drive, , Normanville South Australia, 5204

Established in 1858. The Bishop of Adelaide, Bishop Murphy, in 1856 he and the other trustee priests Frs Ryan, Smyth and Fallon, purchased from Richard Connor, 'two acres more or less', being part of Section 1007, for £5 for the purposes of building a church. The church was dedicated on 1 January 1858 by Father Peter Hughes.

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Baptist

North Adelaide, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1850

Address: 146 Tynte Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The history of this Church dates to 1848 when a group of 21 people left the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, uncomfortable with the closed-mindedness of the majority of the congregation, and founded a new Church. In 1850, they built a chapel in Lefevre Terrace seating 350. When that proved too small, they acquired the acre of land in Tynte…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Christ Church Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 35 Palmer Place, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Plans for this Church were brought from England by Bishop Short the Anglo-Norman design was credited to local architects Henry Stuckey and William Weir. Romanesque in style it was constructed of limestone, brick and sandstone trim. It was begun in 1848 with the apse being built after the death of Stuckey in 1851. The foundation stone…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 139 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The church was founded in 1930 as a mission-outreach congregation and to serve the needs of the students and staff of the Immanuel Seminary and Immanuel College. After about 20 years of meeting in the old Methodist church building on Tynte Street, the congregation constructed a new building, designed by one of its young members, [Sir]…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

North Adelaide, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 92 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 70 Melbourne Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The land was purchased in 1872 and the construction took place between 1882 and 1883. The financing was orchestrated by the Christ Church North Adelaide. The Architect was Daniel Garlick a prominent South Australian architect. Most of the students and congregation were working class people who lived nearby, some of whom worked for the…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Lawrence's Catholic

North Adelaide, SA - St Lawrence's Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: 134 Buxton Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The Church was erected between 1867 and 1868 The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1867 and dedicated on 10 January 1869 by Bishop Lawrence Shiel. Additions and including the Sanctuary and piped organ were blessed on 13 February 1910.

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Peter's Cathedral Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - St Peter's Cathedral Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: King William Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The first bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short, brought with him in 1848, plans for a Cathedral. The plans had been drawn up by English architect William Butterfield and is in the Gothic Revival style. The Foundation stone was laid on 13 July 1869 by Bishop Short, the first Bishop of Adelaide. Designed by Butterfield but plans modified…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Uniting

North Adelaide, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: Brougham Place, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Formerly a Congregational church established by the Reverend T.Q. Stow and the first Minster James Jefferis in the 1860's. Designed by Edmund Wright in partnership with E.A. Hamilton. A good example of the Victorian Free Classical style, which was frequently used for non-conformist churches and chapels in the nineteenth century.…

Read More

Norton Summit, SA - Baptist

Norton Summit, SA - Baptist

Address: 1 Church Road, , Norton Summit South Australia, 5136

The first services were performed by Rev Thomas Playford during 1842 in Robert Norton's log cabin at Grassy Flat. As the congregation incresed by 1851 a roughly constructed stone building was built and furnished at Grassy Flat. The Foundation of the new church designed by David Williams Jnr was laid on Monday afternoon April 24 1882.…

Read More

Norwood, SA - Baptist (Former)

Norwood, SA - Baptist (Former)

Address: 134 The Parade, , Norwood South Australia, 5067

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner Penrice & Park Avenue, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 July 1959.

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Our Lady of the Valley Catholic

Nuriootpa, SA - Our Lady of the Valley Catholic

Address: 28 Gawler Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner First & Second Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The first St Petri church was opened in 1867. The tower was built in 1927 and a new church replaced the first church in 1961.

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Uniting

Nuriootpa, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1936

Address: 54 Murray Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

Formerly a Methodist Church the foundation stone was laid 21 June 1936 by Sir Edward Lucas K.B. The church was called the Coulthard Memorial Church after William Coulthard who laid out the town of Nuriootpa.

Read More

Oaklands Park, SA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Oaklands Park, SA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Address: 12a Dwyer Road, , Oaklands Park South Australia, 5046

Read More

Oaklands Park, SA - Uniting

Oaklands Park, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1934

Address: 93 Oaklands Rd , , Warradale South Australia, 5046

Formerly a Methodist church. When the Methodists ceased their activities the Presbyterians moved in. The cost of the building including the church hall social room and porch was £650. The land was purchased for £250. The first service was held on December 5 1934 at 3pm. Mrs RB Smith was the first pianist.

Read More

Old Noarlunga, SA - St Philip and St James Anglican

Old Noarlunga, SA - St Philip and St James Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Church Hill Road, , Old Noarlunga South Australia, 5168

Built in 1850 of local stone quarried from the cliffs on the Onkaparinga River in Old Noarlunga , hauled across the river and up the hill by bullock teams and hard sweat. Walls are of ironstone quarried from the cliffs of the Onkaparinga River and hauled to the site by a winch powered by bullocks. Simple buttresses divide the walls…

Read More

Old Noarlunga, SA - Uniting

Old Noarlunga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1855

Address: Maple Street Road, , Old Noarlunga South Australia, 5168

Formerly a Wesleyan Chapel then a Methodist Church it was built in 1855. A hall was added in 1902. It's the second oldest remaining Methodist Chapel in SA.

Read More

One Tree Hill, SA - Uniting

One Tree Hill, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: Black Top Road, , One Tree Hill South Australia, 5114

The Church was built in 1867.

Read More

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: Church Crescent, , Palmer South Australia, 5237

A Foundation stone was laid in 1872. An addition appears to have been added in 1927.

Read More