Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania


Mole Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Mole Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1878

Address: 46 Pioneer Drive, , Mole Creek Tasmania, 7304

Construction of the church began on donated land, and an associated cottage in late 1876.] It was completed in 1878, then enlarged in 1880, at which time the original building was moved to the rear and used as a supper room. An adjacent church hall was added in 1919. The Wesleyan chapel was rented by the Government for a school from at…

Read More

Montello, TAS - Baptist

Montello, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1957

Address: 43 Mace Street, , Montello Tasmania, 7320

A foundation stone reads, " Montello Baptist Church This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Lt Col, S.E. Joyce E.D. Pres Baptist Union of Tas, 8th June 1957. Minister Rev P Steel, Union Secretary re E.E. Watson".

Read More

Montello, TAS - Protestant

Montello, TAS - Protestant

Address: 53 Mace Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

Read More

Montrose, TAS - Presbyterian

Montrose, TAS - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Islington & Walker Streets, , Montrose Tasmania, 7010

Read More

Montrose, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Montrose, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: 480 Main Road, , Montrose Tasmania, 7010

The land for the church was first purchased in 1834 after a discrepancy over the land where the church was to be built. The Foundation stone was laid on 22 June 1869 by Charles De Cane Esq Governor of Tasmania and the consecration service took place on 22 June 1870. Francis Butler designed the complete building and superintended the…

Read More

Moonah, TAS - Salvation Army

Moonah, TAS - Salvation Army

Address: 73 Hopkins Street, , Moonah Tasmania, 7009

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Moonah, TAS - St Theresa Catholic

Moonah, TAS - St Theresa Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 24 Hopkins Street, , Moonah Tasmania, 7009

The area, New Town to Bridgewater was part of St. Mary's Cathedral Parish until Archbishop W. Hayden made Moonah a parish in 1931. Catholics formerly went to Mass in those times, either to Sacred Heart Church, New Town (built in 1880), or to old St. John the Baptist Church, Main Road, Glenorchy, which was blessed and opened by Bishop…

Read More

Mornington, TAS - Citywide Baptist

Mornington, TAS - Citywide Baptist

Address: 400 Cambridge Road, Hobart, Mornington Tasmania, 7018

Read More

New Norfolk, TAS - St Matthew's Anglican

New Norfolk, TAS - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1823

Address: 6 Bathurst Street, , New Norfolk Tasmania, 7140

Construction of the church commenced in 1823 under the direction of the Colonial Architect David Lambe. Plans were prepared in 1870 for an impressive bell tower and clock for the church and one was designed by Molesworth Jeffrey of "Bournbank". he clock was never installed and was later installed in the Invalid Hospital. The first…

Read More

New Norfolk, TAS - St Paul's Uniting

New Norfolk, TAS - St Paul's Uniting

Address: 9 Burnett Street, , New Norfolk Tasmania, 7140

Read More

New Norfolk, TAS - St Peter's Catholic

New Norfolk, TAS - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 2 Hillside Crescent, , New Norfolk Tasmania, 7140

Archbishop Willson's first efforts to obtain priestly ministration for the Norfolk district dated from June 19, 1850, when he suggested to the Comptroller-General of convicts that Fr. Woolfrey or one of the chaplains employed in the convict department, be placed at New Norfolk to itinerate for the spiritual care of pass-holders and…

Read More

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 2 Cross Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

Read More

New Town, TAS - St James Anglican

New Town, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: Rupert Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

William Gilchrist Watt and his wife Catherine came from Montreal, Canada, to Hobart in 1900 and bought a large house in Augusta. Road New Town. They had independent means and while in Canada were closely associated with the Church of England. After the death of her husband in 1914, Mrs Catherine Gilchrist Watt had the Church of St James…

Read More

New Town, TAS - St John's Anglican

New Town, TAS - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1834

Address: St John's Avenue, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

The initiative for the erection of St John's Church, the oldest church still in use for worship at Hobart, was taken by the Lieutenant - Governor, Colonel George Arthur. He stated that he and other gentlemen would subscribe towards the cost of the building. Built between 1834 and 1835 this neo Gothic church was designed by Colonial…

Read More

Newnham, TAS - St Barnabas Anglican

Newnham, TAS - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: 17 George Town Road, , Newnham Tasmania, 7248

Now known as All Saint's or Barney's. The land, was purchased for £25 from Mr. J. C. McMichael. Tenders were called for the building of a structure to serve the purpose of hall and church. It was natural that, from the applicants, the tender of J. and T. Gunn was accepted. The plans for the modest weatherboard St. Barnabas only…

Read More

Newnham, TAS - Uniting

Newnham, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1903

Address: 128 George Town Road, , Newnham Tasmania, 7248

The Original Church was built in 1881 but destroyed by fire in 1903. A plaque on the building testifies to its origins.

Read More

Newstead, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Newstead, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: 96 Elphin Road, , Newstead Tasmania, 7250

It was in 1905 that a group of dedicated Christian people from the Launceston Baptist Tabernacle in Cimitiere Street saw the need to extend the work of the Church into the suburbs. The fast growing "Elphin Rise" area, with its high proportion of young families, was chosen. A public ceremony was held in June 1905 when the foundation stone…

Read More

North Hobart, TAS - Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox

North Hobart, TAS - Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1841

Address: 50 Warwick Street, , North Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone was laid in 1841. The bell tower is of international heritage significance, and it contains Australia's oldest bells, weighing over 2.5 tonnes. The bells were first rung on Regatta Day, 1847. Archdeacon Hutchins was the main proponent behind the construction of Holy Trinity Church. The church was designed by…

Read More

North Hobart, TAS - Uniting

North Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Address: 2 Swan Street, , North Hobart Tasmania, 7000

Read More

Northdown, TAS - St James Anglican

Northdown, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 829 Port Sorell Road, , Northdown Tasmania, 7307

The church was opened in May 1878 and the church and burial ground were consecrated on 30 January 1879 by Bishop Charles Bromby. One gate post has the inscription "To the glory of God" with the opposite post having the inscription, "And in memory of all those who served 1939 - 1945". The present church was built by public subscription…

Read More

Nubeena, TAS - Church of Christ

Nubeena, TAS - Church of Christ

Address: 5 Nubeena Back Road, , Nubeena Tasmania, 7184

Read More

Oatlands, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Oatlands, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Year Built: 1850

Address: Gay Street, , Oatlands Tasmania, 7120

The Foundation stone was laid on 9th April 1850. The Church was designed in 1843 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin England's greatest Early Victorian architect and designer who was a close friend of the first Bishop of Hobart Town Robert William Wilson. The Church was opened by Bishop Wilson on 26 February 1851. Father James Ryan,…

Read More

Oatlands, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Oatlands, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1844

Address: Williams Street, , Oatlands Tasmania, 7120

At first services were held in the police barracks, then in a small stone and clay chapel. The stone church designed by John Lee Archer was begun in 1838 and the official opening service and dedication by Bishop Nixon was in 1844, though the church was used prior to that date. It was licenced in December 1846. In 1958 the church was…

Read More

Oatlands, TAS - Uniting

Oatlands, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: 32 High Street, , Oatlands Tasmania, 7120

A plaque on the fence reads, " The Manse erected 1860 by George Wilson of Mt Seymour for his daughter, Margaret, who married Reverend Lauchlin McKinnon Campbell, first minister of the Oatlands parish from 1853 - 1889. After Reverend Campbell's death in 1907 the congregation purchased the Manse".

Read More

Old Beach, TAS - St George's Anglican

Old Beach, TAS - St George's Anglican

Address: 237 Briggs Road, , Old Beach Tasmania, 7017

One acre of land as a site for the church was given by J. F. Gage. This land had been part of 407 acres 2 roods formerly owned by his father, John Ogle Gage, and known as "Gagebrook". J. F. Gage had bought it at public auction for £ 1854.2.6 after the death of his father who had lived at Old Beach since 1824. The conveyance of the land,…

Read More

Orford, TAS - St Michael and All Angels Church (Former)

Orford, TAS - St Michael and All Angels Church (Former)

Year Built: 1927

Address: 30 Charles Street, , Orford Tasmania, 7190

A tiny wooden building served as the Orford Church for many years. Originally the timekeepers office at the Okehampton quarry for many years ntil it closed. The structure was taken intact to Crabtree Quarries, two miles south of Orford. The services were held there for some years. In 1883 the building was positioned just behind the…

Read More

Parattah, TAS - St George's Anglican (Former)

Parattah, TAS - St George's Anglican (Former)

Address: 669 Tunnack Road, , Parattah Tasmania, 7120

The Foundation stone was laid in February 1903. The Church was sold in 2004 and is now a private dwelling.

Read More

Parattah, TAS - Uniting

Parattah, TAS - Uniting

Address: 671 Tunnack Road, , Parattah Tasmania, 7120

Information pending

Read More

Park Grove, TAS - Martin Luther Lutheran

Park Grove, TAS - Martin Luther Lutheran

Address: 14 Mooreville Road, , Park Grove Tasmania, 7320

Read More

Penguin , TAS - Uniting

Penguin , TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1903

Address: 50 Main Road, , Penguin Tasmania, 7316

The original Primitive Methodist Church opened on 14 January 1866 but was later destroyed by fire. Prominent north-west architect and builder William Henry Morris created the current structure which opened on 10 May 1903.

Read More

Penguin, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Penguin, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 9 Braddon Street, , Penguin Tasmania, 7316

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid by the Right Reverend Monsionor Beechinor P.P. V.F. 18th October 1908".

Read More

Penguin, TAS St Stephen's Anglican

Penguin, TAS St Stephen's Anglican

Address: Main Street, , Penguin Tasmania, 7316

In 1874 the original St. Stephen's church measuring twenty-five feet by fifteen feet, was opened. In that year Church News referred to St. Stephen's thus. 'Penguin Creek, old and very small and of Blackwood" In 1895 a new nave was built and the old church became the chancel and vestry having been sawn in half. The church has twice been…

Read More

Plenty, TAS - St John's Anglican (Former)

Plenty, TAS - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1852

Address: 930 Glenora Road, , Plenty Tasmania, 7140

In October 1852, the brick chapel costing £320 was consecrated.

Read More

Pontville, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Pontville, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 2 Kimberley Street, , Pontville Tasmania, 7030

The first known divine service was held in a stable adjoining the Military Barracks at Pontville, in 1829, and in a record, amongst the church papers, it is said that the service was not well attended because of nature of the building. Services were also held at the Brighton :schoolhouse, and in 1831 a meeting was called to discuss the…

Read More

Pontville, TAS - St Matthew's Catholic

Pontville, TAS - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: Midland Highway, , Pontville Tasmania, 7030

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 August 1928 by the Most Reverend W. Barry D.D. The previous church built in 1866 was destroyed by fire.

Read More

Port Arthur, TAS - St David's Anglican

Port Arthur, TAS - St David's Anglican

Address: Church Street, , Port Arthur Tasmania, 7182

Read More

Queenstown, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Queenstown, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 2 Pontifex Street, , Queenstown Tasmania, 7467

The original parish priest of Queenstown (Father Matthew O'Callaghan) began his ministry to a mining frontier when the parish was cut off from the Zeehan 'mission' in April, 1897. It seems the Catholic's of Queenstown worshipped in a temporary building until the opening of the present St Joseph's church on February 11 1898. The…

Read More

Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican

Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1896

Address: 1 Louisa Street, , Ranelagh Tasmania, 7109

In 1853 a there was a bark church built for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878, "Victoria church to be built at In 1853 a hear bark church for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878,…

Read More

Ranelagh, TAS - St Mary of the Cross Catholic

Ranelagh, TAS - St Mary of the Cross Catholic

Address: 35 Agness Street, , Ranelagh Tasmania, 7109

Read More

Richmond, TAS - Congregational

Richmond, TAS - Congregational

Year Built: 1875

Address: 25 Bridge Street, , Richmond Tasmania, 7025

The first services were held in the local courthouse. In 1843 the Rev Moses Parker arrived and made Richmond the centre of his circuit. A chapel was located in Torrens Street on a parcel of land donated by John Kestall Buscombe, a successful local businessman. The chapel was opened on Wednesday 3 December 1845 and a collection was…

Read More