Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Anglican


Maryborough, VIC - Christ the King Anglican

Maryborough, VIC - Christ the King Anglican

Address: 6 Nightingale Street, , Maryborough Victoria, 3465

Read More

Marysville, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Marysville, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 1139 Buxton Marysville Road , , Marysville Victoria, 3779

The first recorded service in Marysville was in 1867 and services continued to be conducted in the Mechanics hall or the State School until well into this present century. The small timber church of Christ church, Marysville was dedicated in 1912, but not on the present foundations for it then stood 20 feet up the hill. The old…

Read More

McCrae, VIC - St Katherine's Anglican

McCrae, VIC - St Katherine's Anglican

Address: Bartels Street, , McCrae Victoria, 3938

Read More

Meeniyan, VIC - St David's Anglican

Meeniyan, VIC - St David's Anglican

Address: 8 Geales Street, , Meeniyan Victoria, 3956

Read More

Melbourne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Melbourne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1880

Address: Corner Flinders & Swanston Streets, , Melbourne Victoria, 3000

St Paul's Cathedral is built on the site where the first public Christian services in Melbourne were led by Dr Alexander Thomson in 1836. Built in the Gothic Polychrome style, being partly early English and partly decorated. The cathedral was built between 1880 and 1891 and was designed by English Architect William Butterfield. He…

Read More

Mentone, VIC - St Augustines Anglican

Mentone, VIC - St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: 90 Como Parade W, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

A Church window portrait of St Alban was unveiled during a service on Sunday 16 December 1917 with 61 names inscribed. The window now has 70 names, suggesting that a supplementary group was added after the cessation of hostilites. A Foundation stone reads, " This Memorial stone was laid by Mrs M.H. Davies November 26th 1888. N Billings…

Read More

Meredith, VIC - The Epiphany Anglican Church

Meredith, VIC - The Epiphany Anglican Church

Year Built: 1913

Address: 4 Russell Street, , Meredith Victoria, 3333

In 1860 the Church of England was granted a piece of land for a church school. The church, called Christ Church housed a congregation until 1913. It became the Sunday school when the Church of the Epiphany was built at a cost of £649. The Foundation stone of the present church was laid on 22 November 1913 by Dean Reverend Reginald…

Read More

Merino, VIC - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Merino, VIC - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Address: 14 Levy Street, , Merino Victoria, 3310

A Foundation stone reads, " 1865 - 1990 This stone was laid by the Rt Revd D.J. Hazelwood Lord Bishop of Ballarat to mark the 125th Anniversary of the laying of the foundation and of our faith in Jesus Christ".

Read More

Metung, VIC - St John's Anglican

Metung, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 39 Stirling Road, , Metung Victoria, 3904

A plaque on the Church wall reads, " St John's Metung first dedicated 1891 Consecrated for divine worship on this site by the Bishop of Melbourne Bishop Field Flowers Goe 11 November 1897. This plaque commemorates 100 years of service to the community. 16 November 1997".

Read More

Milawa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Milawa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: Snow Road, , Milawa Victoria, 3678

The church plan, was suggested by Archdeacon Tucker three years before its erection and was prepared by Mr. George Heathcote of Wangaratta, who supervised the erection. Messrs. Fitzpatrick and Shea were the contractors. The furniture was made by Mr. J. Roberts of Little Collins St. Melbourne. Building costs amounted to more than…

Read More

Mildura, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Mildura, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1901

Address: Cnr Deakin Avenue & Eleventh Streets, , Mildura Victoria, 3500

A Foundation stone reads, A.M.D.G. In memory of those in the district who made the supreme sacrifice in the Second World War 1939 - 1945 this stone was laid by Allen Second Bishop of St Arnaud on 19th May 1957, Archdeacon J. Hardingham Rector". A wall plaque reads, " These doors were erected by parishioners and friends in loving memory…

Read More

Milloo, VIC - St David's Anglican

Milloo, VIC - St David's Anglican

Address: Milloo Hall Road, , Milloo Victoria, 3572

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God St David's Church Milloo Rebuilt 1919 as a memorial to those who served the Empire in the Great War 1914 - 1918". The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Minyip, VIC - St Savour's Anglican

Minyip, VIC - St Savour's Anglican

Address: 45 Church Street, , Minyip Victoria, 3392

Read More

Mirboo North, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Mirboo North, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: Corner Grand Ridge East & Baromi Road, , Mirboo North Victoria, 3871

The first Church services in the area were held in the home of Mr W. Napier an unoffical and perhaps self appointed lay preacher. He is reported to have taken a burial there in 1882. The Foundation stone was laid on 6 November 1965 by the Right Reverend D.A. Garnsey M.A. Bishop of Gippsland.

Read More

Mitcham, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Mitcham, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 18 Edward Street, , Mitcham Victoria, 3132

Former Christ Church. The Church was created in 1888 and a timber church building was erected that year. In 1958 a new church was built on the adjacent site and the 1888 church was subsequently used as the parish hall. All Saints (former Christ Church) Anglican Church, was designed in 1958 by Raymond Berg, a modernist architect who…

Read More

Moe, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Moe, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: 6 George Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

In 1925 whether or not the severence was made from Yarragon or Trafalgar parish Moe became a seperate parish having Hill End, Tanjil South and Coalville and other smaller places within its boundaries. A Foundation stone was laid on 10 September 1968 by J. Russell Savige M.C. E.D.

Read More

Molesworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Molesworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 4559 Goulburn Valley Highway, , Molesworth Victoria, 3718

The area was occupied by the Woiwurung people before white settlement. The first settlers in the district were overlanders from NSW in 1837 and called the area Muddy Creek. The Church was erected in 1869.

Read More

Monbulk, VIC - St George's Anglican

Monbulk, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 75 Main Street, , Monbulk Victoria, 3793

Read More

Mont Albert North, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Mont Albert North, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Bundora & Rostrevor Parade, , Mont Albert North Victoria, 3129

The church is designed in a simple modern style and is built of cream brick with a glazed tile roof. It is of rectangular form with distinctive parabolic arch entrance to the gabled front porch and a rectangular tower with slender spire to the north elevation. The asymmetrical front facade contains the entrance porch which protrudes to…

Read More

Moorabbin, VIC - St David's Anglican

Moorabbin, VIC - St David's Anglican

Address: 4 Redholme Street, , Moorabbin Victoria, 3189

Read More

Mooroolbark, VIC - St Francis in the Fields Anglican (Former)

Mooroolbark, VIC - St Francis in the Fields Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1962

Address: 218 Hull Road, , Mooroolbark Victoria, 3138

Designed by the architect Wystan Windows as a hall, the foundation stone was laid on 18 February 1962. The Church closed in 2017.

Read More

Mooroopna, VIC - Anglican

Mooroopna, VIC - Anglican

Address: 15 Young Street, , Mooroopna Victoria, 3629

The Church occupies the old Ardmona factory workers canteen and former Post Office.

Read More

Mordialloc, VIC - St Nicholas Anglican

Mordialloc, VIC - St Nicholas Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: 9 Bear Street, , Mordialloc Victoria, 3195

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God and in honour of S. Nicholas this stone was laid by the Most Rev Harrington G Lees Archbishop of Melbourne 16th September 1922. Louis R Williams AIVRA Architect ??? Builder".

Read More

Mornington, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Mornington, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Queen Street, , Mornington Victoria, 3931

St Peter's Church of England, (Anglican) Queen Street, Mornington, is a brick Church designed by architect Leonard Terry and built in stages commencing in 1861. The Church was opened on 19 May 1861. Later extensions include remainder of the nave, chancel, sanctuary and distinctive porch, which may have been built 1863 and much altered or…

Read More

Mortlake, VIC - St James Anglican

Mortlake, VIC - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 54 Shaw Street, , Mortlake Victoria, 3272

Read More

Morwell, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Morwell, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Address: 6 Latrobe Street, , Morwell Victoria, 3840

The first Church service conducted in the Morwell area by any demomination took place on Sunday 4 June1848. By 1878 Church of England services were being held monthly at Morwell in various buildings including the Maryvale Ridge State School or private homes.The Foundation stone was laid of 28 March 1958 by Miss E.E. Bridle.

Read More

Mount Duneed, VIC - St Wilfred's Anglican

Mount Duneed, VIC - St Wilfred's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 4 Lower Duneed Road, , Mount Duneed Victoria, 3217

The Church was built in 1861 by John Hackness and his son James. It was built of bluestone and rubble on 2 acres of land donated by Thomas Walker. It was Officially opened on 8 August 1863 thanks to the generosity of Mr John Stewart who paid for the roof. On 14 January 1944 the original church was destroyed by bush fires but a meeting…

Read More

Moyston, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Moyston, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 14 Moyston Dunkeld Road, , Moyston Victoria, 3377

The Church was built in 1869 of local bluestone. It is now closed and for sale in 2023.

Read More

Mt Eliza, VIC - St James the Less Anglican

Mt Eliza, VIC - St James the Less Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: 105 Koetong Parade, , Mt Eliza Victoria, 3930

The Church was designed by William Grover. Constructed in brick, and painted white, on stone foundations, in the Norman style, it includes a short nave, porch and chancel, added in 1913. The first service was held in 1866 by the Rev Thomas Abraham, the vicar at Mornington. The site was given by a Captain Edward Lintott. A committee was…

Read More

Mt Evelyn, VIC - St Mark's Anglican (Former)

Mt Evelyn, VIC - St Mark's Anglican (Former)

Address: 54 Birmingham Road, , Mt Evelyn Victoria, 3796

At the meeting of the Provisional Committee of the Church of England of Mt. Evelyn, held at the "Ridge'', residence of Mr. A. Bruce Morrison on 23rd July, 1920, with the Rev. Tenniswood presiding, it was agreed to accept the block of land facing Birmingham Road generously donated by Mr. A. Stevens of Malvern Road, Prahran. On Sunday,…

Read More

Murchison, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Murchison, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Corner Impey & Watson Street, , Murchison Victoria, 3610

Read More

Murgheboluc, VIC - Anglican

Murgheboluc, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1856

Address: Hamilton Highway, , Murgheboluc Victoria, 3218

Built of brick with a shingle roof. It housed a Church of England school for many years. The church closed in the late 1950's.

Read More

Murrumbeena, VIC - Holy Nativity Anglican

Murrumbeena, VIC - Holy Nativity Anglican

Address: 255 Poath Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by ?? Lord Archbishop of Melbourne 19 November 1960".

Read More

Murtoa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Murtoa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Corner Lake & Marma Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390

In 1884 tenders were offered for the erection of a brick church but none were forthcoming. A revised tender for a wooden church were offered and let to a Messrs Chaffer.

Read More

Myrniong, VIC - Anglican

Myrniong, VIC - Anglican

Address: Hardy Street, , Myrniong Victoria, 3341

Read More

Myrtleford, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Myrtleford, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1932

Address: Clyde Street, , Myrtleford Victoria, 3737

The Centenary of this parish was held in 1972 but the present brick church dates only from 1932. A red brick Gothic Louis William's creation, it has a familiar and distinctive revival atmosphere. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God in honour of St Paul and for the teaching of the Catholic faith. Anno Domini 1932". A…

Read More

Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican

Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: High Street, , Nagambie Victoria, 3608

St. John's Church was commenced in 1883, opened for worship on the 8th April 1883, and consecreated in 1887. Services had been conducted in Nagambie as early as 1874 in the Mechanics Institute and also in the home of Mrs Way. The Church was built in a red brick with two curious features of the building being the non alignment of the…

Read More

Nathalia, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Nathalia, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Robertson Street, , Nathalia Victoria, 3638

In January of 1882 the Reverand D. Brown arrived in Nathalia with his wife and child. His firs services were held in the State Schools of Nathalia and Narioka. In 1884 the church building fund was augmented with various sums of money being promised. Land for the church had been donated by Mr Edward Pearce but heated controversy mounted…

Read More

Natimuk, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Natimuk, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409

The first Church of England service was held in a private residence in June 1876. In 1885 the church had its first resident Minister. The current church was built in 1890 and the bell tower was added in 1964 while the stained glass window was dedicated in 1988.

Read More

Neerim South, VIC - St John's Anglican

Neerim South, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 192 Main Neerim Road, , Neerim South Victoria, 3831

The Church was opened on 16 October 1892. The church was built by the enterprise of Mr Edwards (the Reader)

Read More