Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: Victoria


Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 61 Lerderderg Street, , Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340

The 1841 Census for this area recorded that there were only 14 Catholics out of a population of 112, an area that extended from the Upper Werribee to Melton. By 1851 a register entry listed the names of five infants who, were baptised:- James, the son of James and Fanny Toomey; Patrick, son of John and Margaret Leahy; Elizabeth,…

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - Anglican

Bairnsdale, VIC - Anglican

Address: 9 Francis Street, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

In May 1866 tenders were called for the erection of a church and the contract was won by Barry and Sons of Sale. The foundation stone was laid by John Davison Smith of "Lindenow" on 9 October 1866. The Church was established in 1867.

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 268 Main Street, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

The History of St Mary's Catholic parish started in 1861 when a reservation of an area from the Lands Department of Victoria was made on the corner of Pyke and Nicholson streets with a frontage to Main street. By 1869 a suitable wooden building had been erected and was valued at £169. A new brick church was built in 1883. The current…

Read More

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1953

Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets, , Balaclava North Victoria, 3183

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.* At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management…

Read More

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Address: 293 Carlisle Street, , Balaclava Victoria, 3183

Read More

Ballan, VIC - St John's Anglican

Ballan, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 56 Simpson Street, , Ballan Victoria, 3342

Built in 1862 and consecrated in 1879 of locally mined bluestone, this typically Gothic church, which has seating capacity of 150, originally featured a high pitched roof of slate, that was replaced with terra cotta tiles in the 1950s. At the same time the original concrete floor was replaced with Tasmanian hardwood. An entrance porch was…

Read More

Ballan, VIC - St Paul's Uniting

Ballan, VIC - St Paul's Uniting

Address: 73 Old Melbourne Road, , Ballan Victoria, 3342

Read More

Ballarat Central, VIC - Uniting

Ballarat Central, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Streets, , Ballarat Central Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Year Built: 1884

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C.

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - Baptist

Ballarat North, VIC - Baptist

Address: 316 Walker Street, , Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: 415 Lydiard Street, Ballarat, Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Built in 1890 to a Gothic-inspired design by local architects Figgis & Molloy. The foundation stone of Scots Church was laid on 5 July 1890 by Sir James MacBain, Scottish-born businessman and president of the Victorian Legislative Council. The church is on a rectangular plan without transepts. The nave is of six bays, buttressed…

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columbus Catholic

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columbus Catholic

Address: 802 Armstrong Street, , Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - Uniting

Ballarat North, VIC - Uniting

Address: Neil Street, Ballarat, Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - Church of Christ

Ballarat, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: Corner of Eastwood & Peel Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: Soldiers Hill, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

A meeting of interested persons was held at the Olive Branch Hotel 6 December 1861 to discuss the formation of a church. A further meeting was held at the North Star Hotel on 24 September 1862 to canvas more funds. During this time services were held in a tent on the Lydiard Street site.* The foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1864…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran

Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran

Address: 203 Doveton Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Although Catholic Services were conducted in Ballarat from 1851 onwards, the parish of Ballarat was not instituted until 1852. The first Parish Priest was Father Matthew Downing, who in 1853, selected the two acre site for the church, which was granted under a Crown Grant in 1855. The style of the church is early Gothic from the era of…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Humffray South Street Bakery Hill, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

St Paul's is closely associated with the early Ballarat goldfields and mining at Bakery Hill. It features a plain exterior that hides an unusual internal structural timber post and truss system, extensive and intact 1860s stencilled decoration, and a magnificent and very early stained glass window. The congregation of St Paul's was…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 1307 Sturt Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

In contemplation of its earliest beginning's of St Peter's Church Ballarat the credit for its foundation must undoubtedly be given to Rev John Potter and his curate the Rev H.C.M. Watson some time during the year 1861. It is upon the erection of a school house in 1861 on the Yuille's Swamp Reserve which was sometimes called a school…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - Uniting

Ballarat, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner of Dana & Lydiard Streets, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C. A Gothic Revival church, listed on the Victorian Heritage Register, and constructed in 1883-1884 to a design by prominent local architects, Terry and Oakden. The elaborate structure of polychromatic brickwork with…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Balnarring, VIC - Uniting

Balnarring, VIC - Uniting

Address: 10 Balnarring Beach Road, , Balnarring Victoria, 3926

Formerley a Methodist Church. Between 1915 and 1920 the Methodist's hired the Balnarring Mechanics hall for services. In 1924 2 acres of land was purchased at Balnarring Beach Road. in 1929 services were moved to St Mark's Church of England in Balnarring however by 1934 services were moved to Warrawee Homestead. The new Church was…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - St Hilary's St Silas Anglican

Balwyn North, VIC - St Hilary's St Silas Anglican

Address: 16 Osburn Avenue, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by R. W. Thomson Esq on the 15th October 1927. In this place I will give peace. B.H & M. H. King Architects, Rev P. L Forster Minister". A further Foundation stone reads, " To the greater Glory of God and in honour of St Silas this stone was laid by the Most Rev J.J.…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Belmore & Winfield Road, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

The vision for a church occurred in 1950 with the land being purchased on 27 July 1951. A portable building was erected on the site on 17 February 1952. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend H. Slarnette President of the Conference 12 July 1953. The three bay church hall was opened in 1954. Additions to the Church were completed in…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: 19 Brenbeal Street, , Balwyn Victoria,

The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1938

Address: 517 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3127

The Church was opened at 3pm on April 30th 1938 by Mr C Harley of the Congregation and the service was conducted by the President of the Baptist Union Mr C.H. Book. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by G.W.Green Esq 13 November 1937. Rev E.R. Thorne, Pastor".

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 208 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

A Foundation meeting was held on 16 May 1922 at the present site while on 2 July a special Foundation Service was held at 11.00am The Mission opened that night in the tent on a site on Whitehorse Road near Weir Street. The Church has now been sold and due for demolition in 2021.

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: 86 Balwyn Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 172 Doncaster Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

The Foundation stone was laid by the Reverend H.G. Mackay B.A. on 16 December 1961.

Read More

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 184 Balwyn Rd, , Balwyn Victoria,

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - Uniting

Bannockburn, VIC - Uniting

Address: 18 Moore St,, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 61 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3227

Services were held monthly in the Mount Colite Hotel hall by the Vicar of Marshall before 1936, when a committee was called to collect money for a new church. Efforts continued through the Depression and in 1937 the Vicar of Marshall, the Rev D.D. Carruthers, whose parish included Barwon Heads was offered a building from Sparrovale Farm…

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Address: 103 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

The design demonstrates original qualities of the interwar Carpenter Gothic style. These qualities include the crowstepped parapetted gable roof, with a minor parapetted gable porch projecting to the side north.

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Uniting

Barwon Heads, VIC Uniting

Address: 65 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 20 Bass Road, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Hade Avenue, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Bayswater, VIC - Church of Christ

Bayswater, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 643 Mountain Highway, , Bayswater Victoria, 3153

Church of Christ services commenced among the settlers around 1872 and the Church of Christ was one of the first. Meetings were held in 1871 in Ambrose Lischke's bark hut, which was on Schultz's land on the South Western corner of Mountain Highway and Stud Rd. For two years the services were conducted by a Mr Ball who baptised Mr and Mrs…

Read More