Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria


Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Corner Percy & Hare Street, , Echuca Victoria, 3564

The first St Mary's was a wooden structure built in 1866 on the same location as todays Church stands. A further brick church was added in 1890.

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - Church of all Soul's Anglican

Edenhope, VIC - Church of all Soul's Anglican

Address: Andrews Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - Immanuel Lutheran

Edenhope, VIC - Immanuel Lutheran

Address: Elizabeth Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Edenhope, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Address: 67 Elizabeth Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - St Mark's Uniting

Edenhope, VIC - St Mark's Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Elizabeth & Wallace Streets, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

The first church was built in 1872 behind the present day church. Todays church was built in the early 1960's and opened in 1962. The foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1962.

Read More

Eildon, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Eildon, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Corner High & Centre Streets, , Eildon Victoria, 3713

Read More

Eildon, VIC - Uniting

Eildon, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner High & Centre Streets, , Eildon Victoria, 3713

Read More

Eldorado, VIC - Uniting

Eldorado, VIC - Uniting

Address: 78 Main Street, , Edorado Victoria, 3746

Read More

Ellinbank, VIC - Anglican & Presbyterian

Ellinbank, VIC - Anglican & Presbyterian

Address: Korumburra Road, , Ellinbank Victoria, 3821

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Methodist

Elmore, VIC - Methodist

Address: 68 Mitchie Street, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

Formerly a Methodist Church the building is now the home of Elmore Scouts.

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Elmore, VIC - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Corner of Harvey & Clarke Streets, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

Read More

Elmore, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Elmore, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 44 Mitchie Street, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

The Church is of GGothic style. Consecreation of the church took place on December 31 1922 when the Lord Bishop of the Diocese the Right Reverend Dr Baker declared the new parish.

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner of Harvey & Clarke Streets, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

Originally called St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church which opened on June 18 1899.

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Elsternwick, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Glen Huntley & Brighton Roads, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The first church was a wooden church and was erected in 1886 at the corner of McCombie Street. It was opened by the Very Reverend H.B. McCartney. It was later relocated to the current church site.* The Foundation stone of the present church was laid on 21 August 1915 by the Archbishop of Melbourne James Moorehouse.*

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Elsternwick, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: 567 Glen Huntly Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3188

The first service was conducted by the Rev George Faulds in the Court House (31 October). He is to become the first permanent minister at the Caulfield Presbyterian Church. In 1915 Architects are requested to invite fresh tenders for a new church. The tender for the new church was accepted for £2,787. A Foundation stone reads, " This…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 71 Orrong Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 November 1897 by his Grace the Most Reverend T.J. Carr D.D.

Read More

Eltham, VIC - Baptist

Eltham, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1856

Address: Nyora Road, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

A committee chaired by Ken Mason was formed in 1986 after the Blackburn North Baptist Church thought of planting a Church in Eltham. The committee comprised of Ken Mason, Shirley Smith, Alan Field and Lloyd Simmonds. A meeting was held in May 1986 at which 45 people expressed interest in beginning a new fellowship in the area. The…

Read More

Eltham, VIC - Our Lady Hlep of Christian Catholic

Eltham, VIC - Our Lady Hlep of Christian Catholic

Address: 4 Henry Street, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The Architects were Gerard Smith, Diana Iezzi, Smith & Tracey Architects and the Builders were Clark Frigo, Conrad Constructions and Management. The stained glass windows on the west wall depict the Passion, Death, Resurrection and the presence of the Spirit of Christ in the parish of Our Lady Help of Christians since its inception.…

Read More

Eltham, VIC - Presbyterian

Eltham, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 19 Batman Road, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The site of the Church was purchased in 1958 by the Presbyterian Church of Victoria. Services began in April 1958 in a nearby home. For more information visit the church website here.

Read More

Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Eltham, VIC - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Pitt Street, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The land on which St Margaret's Church and Vicarage stands was donated by Henry Dendy, a well known Melbourne pioneer and wealthy land owner. Dendy later moved to England returning and residing in Eltham again. He chaired a meeting held in 1860 for the purpose of devising a means of establishing a Church of England in the township. The…

Read More

Eltham, VIC - Uniting

Eltham, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Corner John Street & Main Road, , Eltham Victoria, 3095

The Eltham Wesleyan Methodist began meeting in the home of Mr. Taylor in Mt. Pleasant Road in 1850 and in other houses including the postmaster’s slab hut in Henry St. In 1860 the first church was built in the same street and then 1880 the present church was built on the corner of John St and Main Rd, then called Maria Street. This…

Read More

Elwood, VIC - Presbyterian

Elwood, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner Scot & Tennyson Streets, , Elwood Victoria, 3184

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1938 by the Lord Mayor of Melbourne Councillor Arthur W. Coles J.P.

Read More

Emerald, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Emerald, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 13 Emerald Monbulk Road, , Emerald Victoria, 3782

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Emerald, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Emerald, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Address: 1 Church Street, , Emerald Victoria, 3782

Read More

Emerald, VIC - Uniting

Emerald, VIC - Uniting

Address: 3 - 5 Emerlad Monbulk Road, , Emerald Victoria, 3782

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Epping, VIC - Presbyterian

Epping, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 771 High Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

The land upon which the church stands was first reserved for the Presbyterian Church on 27 February 1865, although it was not until 1870 that the land was formally granted by the Lands Department. The foundation stone was laid by Mr Brock, J P, on 4 November 1867 following a tea meeting at 4 pm. Thomas Mitchell, who erect the adjacent…

Read More

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Epping, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 789 High Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

The earliest recorded Anglican service in Epping was held in September 1863. The Anglican community, anxious to erect their own permanent church but unhappy with the low-lying site allocated to them near the Darebin Creek, applied to the Government for an alternative one, and the present two acre site in High Street was gazetted on 5 May…

Read More

Epping, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Epping, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1865

Address: 13 Davisson Street, , Epping Victoria, 3076

Mass had first been celebrated in the district, then known as Darebin Creek, as early as 1849. It had been held in the home of Alexander McKillop, whose daughter, Mother Mary McKillop, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. In about 1852 a Catholic Denominational School, No. 238, was established. A new wooden building was…

Read More

Epping, VIC - Uniting

Epping, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 2003

Address: 180 McDonalds Road, Melbourne, Epping Victoria, 3076

The Church was opened on 6 April 2003 by Reverend Bill Gillard the UCA Presbytery of Yarra Valley.

Read More

Essendon North, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Essendon North, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 1 Marco Polo Street, , Essendon North Victoria, 3041

The first service was held in North Essendon on Advent Sunday, 1st December, 1889 in a rented cottage in King Street, North Essendon. The service was officiated by the Rev. G Gladstone, a total of 6 people attending. The Foundation stone was laid by Miss Mary Puckle on Saturday, August 23rd, 1890. The grand opening was celebrated…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - Church of Christ

Essendon, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1925

Address: 52 Buckley Street, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

The Foundation stone was laid in 1925. The architect was V.C. Cook and the builders was J.R. Wilkinson.

Read More

Essendon, VIC - Salvation Army

Essendon, VIC - Salvation Army

Address: Corner Buckley Street & Mount Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

Formerly a Primitive Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid by G Sweet Esq. Reverend Walton was the Minister.

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St John's Uniting

Essendon, VIC - St John's Uniting

Address: Corner Buckley Street & Mount Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Essendon, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: Mount Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

The Parish has its Official beginning at Keilor in 1854 when Father Matthew Downing OSA as the first Priest in Charge of the Keilor Mission. The present St Monica's Church was built on the site of a stone church, begun in 1884, completed in 1910 and demolished in 1934 to make way for the larger building. The style of the building…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Therese's Catholic

Essendon, VIC - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: 48A Lincoln Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone is set in Latin and reads, " A.M.D.G. Hung lapidem benedixit et posuit Daniel Archiepiscopus Melbourne Die 22AD Aprilis 1934 - Petrus O'Brien Rector.

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Thomas Anglican

Essendon, VIC - St Thomas Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 760 Mt Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

On 14 March 1857 a grant of 1.5 acres was made to St Thomas Church Moonee Ponds for the erection of a church and vicarage. In the same year a ceremony took place at the corner of Mt Alexander and Pascoe Vale Roads when the foundation stone was laid by the Govenor of Victoria Sir Henry Barkley. St Thomas's building committee minute book…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - Ukrainian Orthodox

Essendon, VIC - Ukrainian Orthodox

Address: Buckley Street, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

Read More

Euroa, VIC - Baptist

Euroa, VIC - Baptist

Address: 50 Kennedy Street, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kirkland Street West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1865 the first Presbyterian church services were held in the old Euroa school house and later incorporated in the Church of England rectory. The first church was erected in 1881 in Foy Street. The current church was built in 1889 by Gordon and Duncan and cost £600 while the Sunday School hall was…

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Brock & Kirkland Avenue West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Bishop Gould recorded in his diary that he blessed and opened on 8 May 1866 a small church in Euroa named in honour of St Michael the Archangel. This was the first church building in Euroa. On 6 March 1887 the new church was blessed and opened by Bishop Reville Coadjutor. In 1915 the interior of St Johns Church was completely…

Read More