Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1931 and 1940


Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 39 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937. The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter. The Architect was Dean W Berry.

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1938

Address: 517 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3127

The Church was opened at 3pm on April 30th 1938 by Mr C Harley of the Congregation and the service was conducted by the President of the Baptist Union Mr C.H. Book. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by G.W.Green Esq 13 November 1937. Rev E.R. Thorne, Pastor".

Read More

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: Corner State Circle & Canberra Avenue, , Barton Australian Capital Territory, 2600

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…

Read More

Berry, NSW - Presbyterian

Berry, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: 83 Victoria Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535

The first Presbyterian Church in Berry was erected in a prime location on a hill to the north of the town in the late 1880's, and was built on five acres, donated to the congregation by David Berry. A Foundation reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Rev D.F. Brandt May 9th 1934 - Thos J. Darling Architect Rev D.L.…

Read More

Berry, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Berry, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: Albert Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535

The Church was established in 1870. A Foundation stone reads, "This Foundation stone of St Patrick's Church Berry was solemnly blessed and laid by His Grace The Most Rev M. Sheehan D.D. 24 November 1935".

Read More

Berry, NSW - Uniting

Berry, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1932

Address: 71 Albert Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by Rev W. Green 30.6.32 - G. Gillam Secretary Treasurer".

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Andrew's Catholic

Bothwell, TAS - St Andrew's Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 19 Patrick Street, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church at Bothwell was given a two-acre grant by the Colonial Government. In May 1864 permission to quarry stone on Mount Adelaide near Bothwell, "towards the completion of a church at Bothwell for the use of the Roman Catholic community". At this stage, the church was well advanced, but the private quarry from which stone had been…

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: 118 New Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 November 1938 by the Most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was P.J. O'Connor.

Read More

Bundaberg, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Bundaberg, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1932

Address: 61 Woogarra Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670

Prominent Brisbane architect Lange L. Powell designed St Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Construction of the church in the early 1930s was a local work-generating scheme during a time of economic depression. The Church adopted a deliberate policy to ensure that funds for the construction of the church were spent on local labour and…

Read More

Bundaberg, QLD - Uniting

Bundaberg, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: 34 Barolin Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670

The Church was opened in 1937.

Read More

Bungalow, NSW - St Kevin's Catholic

Bungalow, NSW - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 1 Deacon Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

A Foundation stone reads, "D O M This foundation stone of St Kevin's Church was laid in 20th January 1935 by the Most Rev John Carroll D.D. Bishop of Lismore Ven Archdeacon Scott PP". A plaque on a rock at the steps to the Church reads, "Church of St Kevins Bangalow Blessed by Bishop P Farrelly 16th June 1935. Archdeacon B Scott PP.…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Baptist

Camberwell, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1940

Address: 460 Riversdale Road, , Hawthorn East Victoria, 3123

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev E.C. Burleigh B.A. 9th September 1939. Architect H.E.L. Tranter Builder S Whitehead".

Read More

Canungra, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Canungra, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 15 Kidston Street, , Canungra Queensland, 4275

On 18 October 1936 the Church was officially opened and dedicated by Archbishop William Wand. The building was designed by architect Raymond Clare Nowland and the contractor was Gordon Rhodes, supervised by architect Thomas Percy. It was built in the Old English Gothic style using rose cedar.

Read More

Canungra, QLD - St Margaret Mary Catholic

Canungra, QLD - St Margaret Mary Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: King Street, , Canungra Queensland, 4275

Before the building of St Margaret Mary’s Church, Mass was held within the private homes of Canungra residents. The church building was designed by J. P. (Jack) Donaghue and built by B. Robertson, with the official opening by Archbishop Duhig being held on June 24th, 1934.

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1938

Address: 142 Grange Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator The Right Rev F.W. Bolland M.C.M.A. 5th March 1938 Rev S.A. Vertigan Minister. Architects H.H. and F.B. Kemp. Builder Norman Miller".

Read More

Casino, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Casino, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 126 Canterbury Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

The first Catholic Church was erected in 1876. The current Church was built of local red bricks in 1940. A late Art Deco church with rectangular lines and heavy scale and bulk. Romanesque elements on facade. The Church was consecrated in May, 1940 by the Bishop of Lismore. The bricks came from Coombell, south of Casino.

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 707 Glenhuntly Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1937 by the Most Reverend D. Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was O.H. Jorgensen.

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1933

Address: 237 North Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss L.A. Nicoll a Foundation member 16.12.33. Minister Rev A Heathcote Fletcher".

Read More

Como, WA - St Augustine's Anglican

Como, WA - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1935

Address: Park Street, , Como Western Australia, 6152

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 March 1935.

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1936

Address: Cooper Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

A Foundation stone attached to the current church was laid on 10 June 1936 by John Wilson McClintock. In the 1932 Jubilee Souvenir booklet of the Presbyterian Church, mention was made that the present church building was inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation, and the Board of Management had under review various schemes for…

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - St James Catholic

Cygnet, TAS - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 34 Mary Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

A Foundation stone attached to the building was laid on 18 February 1940 by his Grace the Archbishop of Hobart J.D. Simonds. The Church was opened on 6 October of the same year. The church was designed in the Moorish style.

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Devonport, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1932

Address: 45 Steele Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid by Rev W.H.E. Abbey Circuit minister and Chairman of Mersey district June 27 1931. The current church building was opened on March 1932 . The Church was closed in 2018. This is now a Community Wellness centre. A Tasmanian, multi-faceted media production company.

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 4 Frances Avenue, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

The original Christ Church was built in 1880 on land donated on cnr Grant St and Albert Road by Mrs Richard Higgs. It was dedicated on 18 January 1880 by Dean McCartney of Melbourne. In 1888, land was purchased in Main St Drouin. By 1906 a proposal to build a new church was made after the old church was in a bad state of repairs and…

Read More

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 6 Nerrena Road, , Dumbalk Victoria, 3956

The Church was established in 1937.

Read More

Elwood, VIC - Presbyterian

Elwood, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner Scot & Tennyson Streets, , Elwood Victoria, 3184

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1938 by the Lord Mayor of Melbourne Councillor Arthur W. Coles J.P.

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Essendon, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: Mount Alexander Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

The Parish has its Official beginning at Keilor in 1854 when Father Matthew Downing OSA as the first Priest in Charge of the Keilor Mission. The present St Monica's Church was built on the site of a stone church, begun in 1884, completed in 1910 and demolished in 1934 to make way for the larger building. The style of the building…

Read More

Essendon, VIC - St Therese's Catholic

Essendon, VIC - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: 48A Lincoln Road, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone is set in Latin and reads, " A.M.D.G. Hung lapidem benedixit et posuit Daniel Archiepiscopus Melbourne Die 22AD Aprilis 1934 - Petrus O'Brien Rector.

Read More

Gardenvale East, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Gardenvale East, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1933

Address: North Road, , Gardenvale East Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid 16 December 1933 by Miss L.A. Nicoll a foundation member of the church.

Read More

Goondiwindi, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Goondiwindi, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 69 Callandoon Street, , Goondiwindi Queensland, 4390

St Mary's Parish was officially erected in 1891, but the first parish priest, Father Hughes, was resident as early as 1885. It was under his direction that the first church was built by Franchi Baker on land donated by Jacob Lowe of 'WeMown'. It is believed that the site was formerly that of the Callandoon Stockyards. In 1936 Father…

Read More

Harden, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Harden, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: Albury Street, , Harden New South Wales, 2587

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 June 1934 by the Bishop of Goulburn the Most Reverend John Barry D.D.

Read More

Healesville, VIC - Uniting

Healesville, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: Maroondah Highway, , Healesville Victoria, 3777

Formerly Scots' Presbyterian Church, it was constructed in 1937. The foundation stone was laid on 21 August 1937 by W F Bon, whose mother had donated a significant amount to the church building fund. The church was designed by Melbourne architects Scarborough, Robertson and Love and was constructed by a Mr Adam of Fernshaw. The church…

Read More

Henty, NSW - St John's Presbyterian

Henty, NSW - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1935

Address: Corner Ivor & Hay's Streets, , Henty New South Wales, 2658

The Foundation stone was laid by H.W. Taylor Esq on 5 June 1935.

Read More

Ingham, QLD - Uniting

Ingham, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1935

Address: Bruce Highway, , Ingham Queensland, 4850

A Foundation stone reads, " Methodist Church of Australasia Queensland conference To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Chairman of the Northern District Rev A. Lewis August 3rd 1935. Rev N.H. Grimmett LTh Minister".

Read More

Iona, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Iona, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 1215 Bunyip River Road, , Iona Victoria, 3815

The first church was constructed in 1900 and followed by a convent for the Sisters of St Joseph in 1914. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This church was blessed and opened by the Most Rev D. Mannix D.D.L.L.D Archbishop of Melbourne 14th April 1940 Revd P. Cremin P.P.". A Foundation stone on the church hall next door reads, "…

Read More

Junee, NSW - Baptist

Junee, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner Orr & Main Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1939 by the Reverend W.H. Wingfield President of the Baptist Union of NSW.

Read More

Kadina, SA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Kadina, SA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: 19 Goyder Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The Church was built in 1936 to replace the earlier Church, now used as a hall. The Church is built from stone taken from the Mine Powerhouse and has the pews from the original church within its pseudo Gothic interior. The Foundation stone of this church was laid on 13 October 1936 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of…

Read More

Kapunda, SA - St Roses Catholic

Kapunda, SA - St Roses Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: Branson Crescent, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373

The Foundation stone was laid on 6 February 1938 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide. The Architect was Edmund Wright. The Church was rebuilt in 1938 to designs by Herbert Jory.

Read More