Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1961 and 1970


Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Fawkner & Farrer Streets, , Braddon Australian Capital Territory, 2612

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 April 1961 by Reverend Harold G. Durbin.

Read More

Branxholme, VIC - Unknown

Branxholme, VIC - Unknown

Year Built: 1962

Address: 21 Brown Street, , Branxholme Victoria, 3302

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God and in memory of those of this Church who died and those who served in the two World Wars. This Foundation stone was laid by Mr Peter Turner On November 24th 1962".

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid in 1961. Extensions to the church were made in 2002.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1966 by the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson C.M.G. Co Adjutor Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Bright, VIC - Our Lady of the Snows Catholic

Bright, VIC - Our Lady of the Snows Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: Coronation Avenue, , Bright Victoria, 3741

A Foundation stone reads, " Our Lady of the Snows, This Church was consecrated by The Most Rev Francis Thomas DD BA DOEC Bishop of Geraldton W.A. on the 1st May 1966 in the presence of The Most Rev Bernard D. Stewart DD LLB Bishop of Sandhurst Rev B.A. Thomas P.P.".

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Brighton, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: Strathmore Terrace, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1964 by the Right Reverend W.J. Russell V.G. Vojtěch (Voitre) Marek was responsible for the copper figurines on the Church wall . He was born in Dolní Oldřichov in Czechoslovakia, now the Czech Republic, in 1919 and came to Australia in 1948. From 1962 to 1975, he worked full-time on…

Read More

Broome, WA - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Broome, WA - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 34 Weld Street, , Broome Western Australia, 6725

The Church was blessed and dedicated on 8 September 1963 by the Most Reverend John Jobst Vicar of the Kimberley.

Read More

Brunswick West, VIC - St David's Uniting

Brunswick West, VIC - St David's Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: 74 - 76 Melville Road, , Brunswick West Victoria, 3055

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev Norman W. Paul BA Minister of this Parish 6th May 1962 Architects K Murray Forster & Allen Walsh Builder Ralph Beer".

Read More

Bulleen, VIC - St Bishoy & St.Shenouda Coptic Orthodox

Bulleen, VIC - St Bishoy & St.Shenouda Coptic Orthodox

Year Built: 1962

Address: 1 - 9 Prospect Road, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105

Read More

Bulleen, VIC - St Clement of Rome Catholic

Bulleen, VIC - St Clement of Rome Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: Egan Drive, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105

Construction of the present church commenced in 1962.

Read More

Burleigh Heads, QLD - St John's Anglican

Burleigh Heads, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 14 Park Avenue, , Burleigh Heads Queensland, 4220

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. And in memory of those who gave their lives to preserve our freedom this stone was set by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on 29th July 1961. R.F. Ranwell Rector".

Read More

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Year Built: 1969

Address: Corner Blackburn Road & Witchwood Street, , Burwood East Victoria, 3151

The Church was dedicated on Ascension day in 1969 by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Frank Woods.

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - Presbyterian

Byron Bay, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1969

Address: 13 Ruskin Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

A plaque read's, " This Church was opened by The Rt Rev R.L. McInnes BA State Moderator and dedicated to the Glory of God by the Presbytery of the Northern Rivers on the 16th August 1969 Minister Rev H.W.A. Wilson".

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 163 Wattle Valley Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

In 1925 communications between the Reverend Walter Green then of Murrumbeena, and the Vicar elect of East Camberwell resulted in an exploritory visit to Wattle Valley Road which was duly selected as the centre of the new parish. In 1960 plans for completion of Church submitted to Vestry by architect Louis Williams. By 1966 a contract…

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - Uniting

Canowindra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1969

Address: 42 Blachford Street, , Conowindra New South Wales, 2804

A Memorial plaque reads, " Canowindra Methodist Peace Memorial Church - This Church was Officially opened and dedicated to the Glory of God on October 5th 1969.

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Baptist

Canterbury, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 1A Balwyn Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

The first public meeting was held, on February 12th, 1891. Twenty-five were present and unanimously approved the proposal that "we commence as a Baptist Mission. To hold services every Thursday evening at 8.00pm, and every Sunday evening at 7.15pm. Mr H.J. Smith was elected Secretary and a committee was appointed, comprising Messrs.…

Read More

Caringbah, NSW - St Phil's Anglican

Caringbah, NSW - St Phil's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 402 Port Hacking Road, , Caringbah New South Wales, 2229

The Church started in nearby Burns Hall in October 1924. The foundation stone on our current site was laid on 2nd July 1927, and the first Minister, Rev Arthur Reeves was appointed in 1933. A new church building was constructed and opened by Archbishop Gough on 24th June 1961 and this is where we still meet to this day. A wall plaque…

Read More

Carlingford, NSW - Uniting

Carlingford, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1967

Address: 27 Lloyd's Avenue, , Carlingford New South Wales, 2118

A wall plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this plaque was set by the Rev R.G. Cruikshank on the 12th August 1967".

Read More

Carrum, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Carrum, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: 1 Poulston Road, , Carrum Victoria, 3197

Land for the current site was purchased and a building described as little more than a shed was erected. The new church was built by Mr. William Ryall, at a cost of £98, with the organ and most of the furniture donated? An additional £28 was spent on the purchase of twelve pews. The Church was opened in May, 1902, becoming part of the…

Read More

Cavendish, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Cavendish, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: Cnr Bunbury Street & Henty Highway, , Cavendish Victoria, 3314

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This Church was dedicated in the name of St Mark by William Auchterlonie Hardie Sixth Bishop Of Ballarat on 27th April 1963".

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Martin's Anglican

Charlton, VIC - St Martin's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: 3 Armstrong Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

The first Church was built in 1889. A Foundation stone reads, "In Memory of the fallen in Two World Wars the Foundation stone of this Church of St Martin built for the worship of God was set by Allen Second Bishop of St Arnaud on 28 April 1963. G.B. Lucas Rector."

Read More

Charters Towers, QLD - Uniting

Charters Towers, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 101 Gills Street, , Charters Towers Queensland, 4820

The first church, Central Methodist Church, was built on the site and opened on the 19th October 1879. It was replaced by an impressive wooden building in September 1890. It was demolished in February 1966 to make way for the present octagonal structure. The new church building was completed in June 1966.

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Cheltenham, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 161 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

At a meeting of the congregation on 1st February, 1865, the Rev. S. Taylor was authorized to apply for a grant of land on which to build a church. Part of the Government Reserve was chosen — the triangular piece of land on which St Matthew's now stands In 1867, a separate Parish of Cheltenham was created, and baptisms (of adults as…

Read More

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Francis of Assisi Anglican

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Francis of Assisi Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Dinwoodie Avenue, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 February 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed.

Read More

Cloverdale, WA - Notre Dame Catholic

Cloverdale, WA - Notre Dame Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 345 Wright Street, , Cloverdale Western Australia, 6105

Built in 1971 to design of George Mazak, the church displays design elements of the Late Twentieth Century Late Modern architectural style. The plan of the church is said to be based on a cross. The main body of the church is square with lower level projecting wings to each elevation. The main roof comprises four gables which meet at the…

Read More

Cobden, VIC - Uniting

Cobden, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: Curdie Street, , Cobden Victoria, 3266

The Foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1963 by Walter Leslie Baker.

Read More

Coffs Harbour, NSW - Harbourside Presbyterian

Coffs Harbour, NSW - Harbourside Presbyterian

Year Built: 1961

Address: 187 Harbour Drive, , Coffs Harbour New South Wales, 2450

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Greater Glory of God this stone was laid by Rt Rev Hugh Cunningham on 9th Sept 1961".

Read More

Coffs Harbour, NSW - St Augustine War Memorial Catholic

Coffs Harbour, NSW - St Augustine War Memorial Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 12 Gordon Street, , Coffs Harbour New South Wales, 2450

The first Church was erected in 1908. It was opened on 26 January 1908 and blown down on Christmas Eve 1908. The Catholic Life magazine featured the solemn occasion in its October 1961 issue of the Blessing and laying of the Foundation stone of the current Church. "The foundation stones of the new St Augustine's Church and the Good…

Read More

Coffs Harbour, NSW - Uniting

Coffs Harbour, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1970

Address: Cnr Gordon & Vernon Streets, , Coffs Harbour New South Wales, 2450

An article in The Methodist, Saturday, 10 April, 1915 reads, " NEW CHURCH AT COFFS HARBOUR Mr. A. J. Cutler, Home Missionary at Coffs Harbour, writes: The new church now in course of erection and of which a photograph is herewith supplied is Methodism's answer to those letters which appeared in Sydney at the beginning of last year,…

Read More

Coleambally, NSW - St Mark the Evangelist Anglican

Coleambally, NSW - St Mark the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: Kookaburra Street, , Coleambally New South Wales, 2707

The church was opened on 25 April 1969 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Collaroy Plateau, NSW - St Rose of Lima Catholic

Collaroy Plateau, NSW - St Rose of Lima Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 4 Rose Avenue, , Collaroy Plateau New South Wales, 2097

Sometime in the late 1950’s approval was sought from the then Cardinal to purchase land for a church and a little time after approval was received and 4 Rose Ave Collaroy Plateau was purchased. Architects, Fowell, Mansfield, Jarvis, & Maclurcan to design the church. The porch was designed by parishioner Nick Ciko and built by parishioner…

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Church of Christ

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1964

Address: 539 Goodwood Road, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The Church of Christ was built in 1965-1966 on the site of an earlier 1920s Colonel Light Gardens Church of Christ chapel. A galvanised iron Independent Order of Rechabites Hall (c.1925) and tennis courts also previously stood on the site. The Church features Brownbuilt steel decking to flat roofs, red face-brick walls with square…

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - St Therese's Catholic

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: 3 Oxford Circus, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 August 1962 by the Most Reverend M Beovich D.D. PhD Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Corinda, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Corinda, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 624 Oxley Road, , Corinda Queensland, 4075

A local architect, Mr Geo Trotter jnr, prepared the plans for the first Church and supervised the construction, which was carried out by Mr William Ross. The original contract was for five hundred and twenty-three pounds, plus the cost of the gallery and seating. Additionally, a further nineteen pounds was directed to incidental expenses.…

Read More

Corowa, NSW - Calvery Memorial Uniting

Corowa, NSW - Calvery Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Church Street, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

In 1878, Rev. Presley was appointed to the Circuit and continued services at Howlang, Rutherglen, Corowa, Barnawartha and Chiltern. Services at Corowa shifted to the Oddfellows Hall at the top end of Sanger Street and were supported by local preachers Messers Trewran, Fraser, Taylor, Thompson, Dr. Whitaker. In April 1879, Rev.J.Leslie was…

Read More

Cowper, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Cowper, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 52 Clarence Street, , Cowper New South Wales, 2460

A Foundation stone reads, "Mary Immaculate Church Bishop P J Farrelly DD solemnly blessed and laid the foundation stone on Sunday 13-12-1964". A stone reads, "A M D G Bishop P J Farrelly DD solemnly blessed and dedicated this church as a memorial to the members of the armed services who lost their lives in World Wars I & II 23-5-1965".

Read More

Cressy, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Cressy, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1968

Address: 105 Main Street, , Cressy Tasmania, 7302

The Church was built in 1968.

Read More

Cronula, NSW - Shire Presbyterian

Cronula, NSW - Shire Presbyterian

Year Built: 1961

Address: 11 Croydon Street, , Cronulla New South Wales, 2230

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God This stone was set by Mrs A M Smith On the 16th of September 1961 Honorary designer C.R. Gulson LSQ MINISTER Rev T P McEvoy BA".

Read More

Cronulla, NSW - St Aloysius Gonzaga Catholic

Cronulla, NSW - St Aloysius Gonzaga Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 5 Nicholson Parade, , Cronulla New South Wales, 2230

The Church was officially established as a parish in 1924. The start of the parish, like many parishes in Australia, was with the home church or the domestic church. In the early twentieth century a small group of Catholics gathered in the house of Agnes and Albert Giddings. After several years, Agnes and Albert Giddings donated a piece…

Read More

Crookwell, NSW - St Bartholomew's Anglican

Crookwell, NSW - St Bartholomew's Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: 17 Denison Street, , Crookwell New South Wales, 2583

A Foundation stone reads, " St Bartholomew's Parish Church A.M.D.G. This stone was set by The Right Rev K.J. Clements Bishop of Canberra & Goulburn 16th February 1969. Rev D.K. Turnbull Rector.

Read More