Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia, Denomination: Lutheran


Largs Bay, SA - St Peter's Lutheran
Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: Main Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Lutheran's of Laura first attended church at Appila. By the early 1880's several more Lutheran families had moved into Laura and this prompted Pastor Kaibel of Appila to conduct services there. By 1891 there were 19 communicant members at Laura and by 1903 the Laura families severed their ties with the Appila congregation. Services…

Read More

Leigh Creek, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran
Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1886

Address: Immanuel Way, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

The first church was opened and dedicated on 29 November 1886. The tower was erected in 1930. The Church hall was opened in 1949.

Read More

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Year Built: 1860 & 1960

Address: Light Pass Road, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

This church was formed by a breakaway group in 1860 from the Immanuel Light Pass Lutheran Church. This church is just 200m from the Immanuel Church. Their first church was dedicated in 1861. A new church replaced the original church and the foundation stone of that church was laid on 14 August 1960. The Tower was erected in 1887 and…

Read More

Loxton, SA - Concordia Lutheran

Loxton, SA - Concordia Lutheran

Address: 79 Bookpurnong Terrace, , Loxton South Australia, 5333

The Congregation was formed in 1902. A Foundation stone reads with maybe words missing, " Glory the of to God 10th July 1959. EPH 2.20.".

Read More

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1925

Address: 64 Bookpurnong Terrace, , Loxton South Australia, 5031

The Church was first set up in 1897 by E.J.P. Kaesler before the town of Loxton was formally planned. It originally met for worship in the houses of John Drabsch of Loxton and A Stanitzki of Bookpurnong. In 1904, a stone church measuring 40ft x 20ft x 14ft (12.2m x 6.1m x 4.27m) at a cost of 180.00 having a seating capacity of 150 was…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Year Built: 1913

Address: Lyndoch Valley Road, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1913 by Pastor E Beorg. This complex consists of two church buildings, the early one was constructed for the Baptists in 1859 and purchased by the Lutherans in 1867 when they moved from Hoffnungstahl. This was used as a church and school until 1913 when the adjacent church was built.…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 3 Margaret Street, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

Read More

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: 32 Edward Street, , Magill South Australia, 5072

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 December 1953 by Pastor O.H. Adler.

Read More

Maitland, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Maitland, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 31 Clinton Road, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

Read More

Mannum, SA - St Martin's Lutheran

Mannum, SA - St Martin's Lutheran

Year Built: 1935

Address: Cliff Street, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

There is a foundation stone laid on 25 August 1935. The hall was erected in 1960.

Read More

Marananga, SA - St Michael's Gnadenfrei Lutheran

Marananga, SA - St Michael's Gnadenfrei Lutheran

Year Built: 1873

Address: Seppeltsfield Road, , Marananga South Australia, 5355

The area was originally called Salt Creek. It was also known as Gnadenfrei before 1918 when names of "enemy origin" were changed to sound less German. The Gnadenfrei Lutheran Church was established, then a German school was established in 1879. The first church building was erected on the present church grounds, the land being given to…

Read More

McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1934

Address: 6 Aldersey Street, , McLaren Vale South Australia, 5171

The present Lutheran congregation had its beginnings a few kilometres away at Willunga, in a railway cottage the home of the Constable family. Services were quarterly with the first happening on 10 June 1934. The adhoc nature of services continued up to and including the duration of WW2 as did the support of visiting Pastors. A block…

Read More

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: West Terrace, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

Lutheran services in the area go back to 1931 when Pastor T.G. Obst held services in a private home in Narrung. Services were also held in Wood Well. By the 1950's services were held in the Anglican church by Pastor Leo Doecke. On 5 May 1957 it was decided at a meeting to form a separate ELCA congregation from that of the Tailem Bend…

Read More

Merghiny, SA - Lutheran

Merghiny, SA - Lutheran

Address: Eyre Highway, , Merghiny South Australia, 5690

Read More

Meribah, SA - Lutheran

Meribah, SA - Lutheran

Address: Cnr Gibbison & Hartley Streets , , Meribah South Australia, 5311

Read More

Millicent, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Millicent, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 10 Main Street, , South Australia, 5280

Read More

Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran

Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: Maitland Road, , Minlaton South Australia, 5575

The first records of Lutheran services were recorded on the York Peninsula in the 1870's. In 1882 a Mr Johann Golthilf Bothe moved in to the area and built a Lutheran church on his property which was several miles north of the cemetery. Prior to this, services were held in several private homes including Schwarz's Farm. By March 19 1882…

Read More

Moculta, SA - Zion Lutheran (Gnadenberg)

Moculta, SA - Zion Lutheran (Gnadenberg)

Address: Gnadenberg Road, , Moculta South Australia, 5353

The Germans who settled here came from Bethany. Th track to the home church was about 12 miles across fields and hills. Therefore they decided to build their own church and drew lots for the site to resolve local jealousies. There were no Pastors in the period 1996 to 1997

Read More

Moorook, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Moorook, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Address: 22 Gogel Road, , Moorook South Australia, 5332

Read More

Morgan, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Morgan, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1956

Address: Corner High & Seventh Streets, , Morgan South Australia, 5320

The current church was formerly St. Andrew's, (VFLCA). The Lutheran Church has been active in the Morgan area since 1880 when a congregation was established at Lindley (ELSA) and Schomburgk (ELSA) in 1887. These congregations closed in the early part of the 1900's and the members formed the basis of new congregations in Morgan. The…

Read More

Morphett Vale, SA - Calvary Lutheran

Morphett Vale, SA - Calvary Lutheran

Address: 5 Windsong Court, , Morphett Vale South Australia, 5162

Read More

Mount Barker, SA - Lutheran

Mount Barker, SA - Lutheran

Address: 27 Hampden Street, , Mount Barker South Australia, 5251

Read More

Mount Compass, SA - St John's Lutheran

Mount Compass, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: School Road, , Mount Compass South Australia, 5210

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1958.

Read More

Mount Gambier, SA - St Martin's Lutheran

Mount Gambier, SA - St Martin's Lutheran

Address: 11 Edward Street, , Mount Gambier South Australia, 5290

The Lutheran Church first had a presence in Mount Gambier in the 1800s when a pastor rode by horseback from Hamilton, Victoria to baptise people. Later in that century the church developed two parishes in Mount Gambier. One parish established a church, school and manse in the town's eastern area in 1859. In 1862, a prominent doctor,…

Read More

Mount Torrens, SA - Spring Head Trinity Lutheran

Mount Torrens, SA - Spring Head Trinity Lutheran

Address: 280 Springhead Road, , Mount Torrens South Australia, 5244

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1976

Address: 27 Hampden Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The church first commenced its existence as an outreach project from Hahndorf with it first service held on 15 December in the Founders room of the local Mechanics Institute. During 1958 discussions were held with the Home Mission Committee to establish a properly constituted congregation. Also it was decided the Founders room at the…

Read More

Murbko, SA - Lutheran

Murbko, SA - Lutheran

Address: 1779 Murbko Road, , Murbko South Australia, 5320

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Year Built: 1882, 1938

Address: Swanport Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first Lutheran services were held in 1882 in a shed used by railway construction employees. This continued until 1884 when Mr F.W. Jaench offered a room in his home. He later sold a piece of his land for a church and an even further offer was made by Johann Gottlob Jaensch who subsidsed 10 shillings for every 1.00 raised. The…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Florence & Charles Streets, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first services were held in a local schoolhouse and then for two years in one of the local halls. The first Holy Cross church was erected in 1909 at the corner of Clara and McHenry Streets and was used up until 1925. The foundation stone was laid in May by Pastor Appelt and the church was dedicated on 31 October 1909. The…

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Naracoorte, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1952

Address: 1 Magarey Crescent, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 November 1952 by Rev J.F. Hansen.

Read More

New Residence, SA - Trinity Lutheran

New Residence, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1924

Address: 60 Klau Road, , New Residence South Australia, 5333

A Foundation stone reads, " Ev Luth Trinity Church This stone is laid to the Glory of God By Rev O.P. Kloeden. Oct 5 1924 1 Cor 3.11.". A Foundation stone on the Church Hall reads, " To the Glory of God Trinity Lutheran Church Hall EPH 2 vs 20 4th April 1965 Stone laid by Pastor E.C. Hempel".

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 139 Archer Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The church was founded in 1930 as a mission-outreach congregation and to serve the needs of the students and staff of the Immanuel Seminary and Immanuel College. After about 20 years of meeting in the old Methodist church building on Tynte Street, the congregation constructed a new building, designed by one of its young members, [Sir]…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran (Former)

North Adelaide, SA - Immanuel Lutheran (Former)

Year Built: 1882

Address: Tynte Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

Formally a Primitive Methodist / Methodist Church. Now in private hands.

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner Penrice & Park Avenue, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 July 1959.

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner First & Second Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The first St Petri church (which has since been demolished and replaced by the current church building) was dedicated on the 10th November, 1867. In 1877 a German pipe organ was purchased, followed by the construction and installation of a bell and bell tower in 1927. A new church replaced the first church in 1961. A building…

Read More

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Palmer, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: Church Crescent, , Palmer South Australia, 5237

A Foundation stone was laid in 1872. An addition appears to have been added in 1927.

Read More

Para Vista, SA - Good Sherpherd Lutheran

Para Vista, SA - Good Sherpherd Lutheran

Address: 388 Montague Road, , Para Vista South Australia, 5093

Read More

Paringa, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Paringa, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Address: 69 Hughes Avenue, , Paringa South Australia, 5340

A Foundation stone reads, " We Preach Christ Crucified 1 Cor 1 v 23A - 31st Aug. 1952. A Foundation stone on the Hall reads " 'Behold I have set before you an open door'. Rev 3:8". A wall plaque in the Church hall reads, " The Paringa Friendship Centre opened March 7th 1999 by Pastor Michael Semmler President of the South Australian…

Read More