Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Curramulka, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Fourth Street, , Curramulka South Australia, 5580

Formerly a Methodist Church the Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1911 by Mrs C Lovelock.

Read More

Delamare, SA - Uniting

Delamare, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Address: Yoho Road, , Delamere South Australia, 5204

Formerly a Methodist church it was opened in 1858. The porch was opened in 1983. There is an ancillary cemented-stone building immediately to the north, as a hall and Sunday School room. [On that building is a white marble tablet, commemorating 70 years of Church life, at December 1928.

Read More

Delamere, SA - St James Anglican

Delamere, SA - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1870

Address: Main South Road, , Delamere South Australia, 5204

Constructed in a local basalt-like stone with cut sandstone dressings to windows and quoins. Foundation stone was laid 19 September 1870 by Archbishop Bussel. It was dedicated and opened by Bishop Augustus Short, attended by the Governor of the State. The floor is well tiled, the font is from St Peter's, Britford and is over 200 years…

Read More

Edithburgh, SA - Uniting

Edithburgh, SA - Uniting

Formerly a Methodist Church. The Original church was opened on Christmas day 1874. A second church was erected in 1909 and the foundation stone was laid on 3 November 1909 by Mr C.S. Roberts.

Read More

Edwardstown, SA - Baptist

Edwardstown, SA - Baptist

Address: 21 Rothessay Avenue, , Edwardstown South Australia, 5042

In May 1905, the Edwardstown mission ceased and Edwardstown Baptist Church took its place. The church grew further over the years and in 1910, bought a piece of land on South Road, Edwardstown to build a new building. During the years the layout of the church property was a bit haphazard, with some buildings on South Road, some at…

Read More

Elizabeth, SA - Church of Christ

Elizabeth, SA - Church of Christ

Address: Corner Short & Ashfield Roads, , Elizabeth South Australia, 5112

Read More

Elizabeth, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Elizabeth, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1965

Address: 521 Main North Road, , Elizabeth South Australia, 5112

The Foundation stone was laid on 5 December 1965. The Hall foundation stone was laid on 8 June 1975.

Read More

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Encounter Bay, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1919

Address: 30 Giles Street, , Encounter Bay South Australia, 5211

Called the Jeffries Memorial Church the foundation stone was laid on 1 November 1919 by Mr R.T. Sweetman. The connection with the Jefferis family was quite extensive. A photo of Dr Jefferis hangs in the church, the land was given by Mrs Jefferis and the preaching desk was also donated by Mrs Jefferis. The original Communion table…

Read More

Enfield Sefton Park, SA - Uniting

Enfield Sefton Park, SA - Uniting

Address: 2 Park Street, , Enfield Sefton Park South Australia, 5083

Formerly a Methodist Church. The seeds that brought the Enfield Uniting Church into fruition were sown around 1853 when the Rev. D.J. Draper, from the Pirie Street Wesleyan Methodist Church, asked Mr. William Short, then aged 33 years, if he would conduct services in his home at California Street, Nailsworth as there was no Wesleyan…

Read More

Enfield, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Enfield, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 44 Audrey Avenue, , Enfield South Australia, 5085

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Ward Street, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1883 and the church is the oldest stand church in Eudunda. The church was dedicated as St Trinitatis Lutheran Church in 1884. It was sold to the Church of England in 1888 and dedicated in 1889. The Vestry dates fr0m 1885.

Read More

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Hanna & Kapunda Streets, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

A congregation was formed at Emmaus in 1870 by Pastor E.D. Appelt of the Nain-Gnadenberg Parish. The first service was held in the home of Mr. C. Ziersch. A church was built in 1872 at Emmaus during the ministry of Pastor R. Ey and an adjoining school was also built. Eudunda, which had originated with a wine store on busy cross roads…

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Uniting

Eudunda, SA - Uniting

Address: Weigall Street, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

Read More

Forster, SA - St John's Lutheran

Forster, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 5146 Angus Valley Road, , Forster South Australia, 5238

Read More

Frances, SA - Lutheran

Frances, SA - Lutheran

The furniture for the church came from the Congregation at Robertstown as the first German settlers to Frances were the Pfitzner family from the Robertstown district.

Read More

Gawler, SA - Baptist

Gawler, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1866

Address: 18 Murray Street, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The first Baptist services in Gawler were held in the old Odd fellows hall in 1866 with a church being formed in the same year. The first church was erected in 1870 as both a church and school. Additions were added in 1873, classrooms in 1879 and a lecture hall in 1903. The church has a distinctive appearance and is roughly symmetrical…

Read More

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Second & Seventh Streets, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The first church was erected in 1863. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 18 September 1962 and the building was dedicated on 12 May 1963.

Read More

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Orleana Square, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The Church was built where Colonel Light had planned. The first part of the church (the nave) was built in 1858-64. In 1885 the transept and chancel were added and the tower was finally erected in 1908, with the bells being installed in 1921. One of the largest parish churches in South Australia constructed of roughly coursed bluestone…

Read More

Gawler, SA - St Peter and Paul Catholic

Gawler, SA - St Peter and Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1850

Address: 1 Parnell Square, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The Gawler Catholic Mission began with the appointment of two English Cistercian Monks – Frs Norbert and Wolfrey, by Bishop of Adelaide, Doctor Murphy – and they arrived in Gawler in August 1848 from Tasmania. The church is built on the site of Gawler's first Roman Catholic church, built in 1850, which was South Australia's second…

Read More

Gawler, SA - Uniting

Gawler, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1850

Address: 21 Tod Street, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

Constructed of hammer-dressed shale set on a cement-rendered plinth, the church is symmetrical about the central entrance of the south-facing facade. It is of Gothic style, with lofty proportions and steeply pitched, slate-clad roof. Facades are characterised by red brick surrounds to pointed arch openings, Gothic derived cement-…

Read More

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Address: Sixth Street, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Read More

Gladstone, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Gladstone, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: 7 West Terrace, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 April 1928 by Reverend A Killian D.D.

Read More

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Address: Corner High & Cross Streets, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 92 Jetty Road, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in Gordon Street and the builder was Mr J.J. Moseley. The second church was built in Jetty Road and the foundation stone was laid on 18 April 1859. The Architect was Mr James MacGeorge and built by Messrs Lines and Cook. The third and current church was built and the foundation stone for this building was laid…

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Torrens Square, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley.2 In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel. The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared…

Read More

Glenunga, SA - Uniting

Glenunga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1927

Address: 138 L'Estrange Street, , Glenunga South Australia, 5064

A Foundation stone was laid 27 August 1927 by Mrs P.A. McBride.

Read More

Golden Grove, SA - Uniting

Golden Grove, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Golden Grove & Greenwith Road, , Golden Grove South Australia, 5125

In 1863 Mr Paul Roberts son of Thomas Roberts of Greenwith Farm donated the land for a Primitive Methodist church which later became known as the Greenwith Chapel. Before the church was built services were held in the cellar of the home of Thomas and Hannah Roberts. The Foundation stone was laid on 15 November 1863 by Mrs Thomas…

Read More

Goodwood, SA - Church of the Cross Catholic

Goodwood, SA - Church of the Cross Catholic

Address: 33 Angus Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 117 Goodwood Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Church of Christ

Goolwa, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1902

Address: Porter Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Goolwa Church of Christ was founded in 1902. The Foundation stone of the hall was laid on 4 October 1964 by Arthur Neighbour.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Cadell Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

In August 1865, the Anglican residents of Goolwa resolved to make every effort to erect a church in Goolwa. A building committee was appointed, consisting of Dr. T. Taylor, Messrs B. Sunman, T. Goode (merchant), Alan Doke, Newell, B. Varcoe E. Dutton, Smyth, W. Ray, Baldock, Joseph Field (butcher), Laffin, Shettliffe (later Shetliff),…

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Catholic

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A. The Lutheran's share this Catholic Church for services.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Uniting

Goolwa, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Bingham Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Church was built in 1861 with transepts added in 1881

Read More

Grange, SA - Baptist

Grange, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1880

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 200 Military Road, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The original foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on August 1 1885. The Jubilee Foundation stone was laid by the Very Reverend Dean Young on 15 September 1936.

Read More

Grange, SA - Uniting

Grange, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1964 by the Ex President of the Conference the Reverend G.T. Inglis B.A. B.D.

Read More

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1897

Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…

Read More