Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Anglican


Katamatite, VIC - St Georges Anglican (former)

Katamatite, VIC - St Georges Anglican (former)

Address: 18 Beek Street, , Katamatite Victoria, 3649

The Church, is now closed, and the property was sold in April 2016.

Read More

Keilor East, VIC - Brimbank Anglican

Keilor East, VIC - Brimbank Anglican

Address: 18 Cemetary Road, , Keilor East Victoria, 3033

Read More

Keilor, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Keilor, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: 36 Church Street, , Keilor Victoria, 3036

Christ Church Anglican Keilor, was designed by Ebenezer Bonfield and dedicated by Dr. Macartney, Dean of Melbourne, on January 28th, 1877, which replaced a corrugated iron building on the Calder Highway between Bonfield and Flora Streets. The first vicar of the` church was the Rev. R.H. Rodda and the first collection was taken up in a…

Read More

Kerang, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Kerang, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Address: 60 Wyndham Street, , Kerang Victoria, 3579

The current Church was officially opened on 10 September 1954 by the Archbishop of St Arnaud. He was assisted by the Ven Archdeacon E Webber Registrar of St Arnaud.

Read More

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 17 Hale Street, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

A new church was erected in 1960. Architects were Earl and Bunbury of East Kew. T.R. and L Cockman were the builders.

Read More

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Windella Avenue, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

St Paul’s Parish Hall, built in 1925 represents the first building for the newly created parochial district of East Kew after its split from the districts of Holy Trinity and St Hilary’s in Kew. The 1960 church by Earle and Bunbury is a good example of a Modern Post-war church in the round. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Immortal…

Read More

Kew, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Kew, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: High Street, , Kew Victoria, 3101

First Services were held in a small building in Peel street and conducted by Reverend W. Baxter. The present site for the church was purchased in 1862 for a sum of £125.00. On Wednesday, 3 September 1862, the foundation stone of the church was laid after prayers led by the Reverend Selwyn Chase and an address by the Bishop of…

Read More

Kilmany, VIC - St Alban's Anglican

Kilmany, VIC - St Alban's Anglican

Address: 340 Settlement Road, , Kilmany Victoria, 3851

Read More

Kilmore, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Kilmore, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: Corner of Union & Church Streets, , Kilmore Victoria, 3764

The Parish of Kilmore was the fourth to be established after Portland, Melbourne and Geelong. It was the first inland Anglican Parish in Victoria. The Reverend William Jones Thomas Singleton, M.A., a sincere and dedicated Christian from Ireland was invited to come to Kilmore as first Rector. He arrived in 1849 together with his excellent…

Read More

Kinglake, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Kinglake, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 187 Whittlesea Kinglake Road, , Kinglake Victoria, 3763

Read More

Kingower, VIC - St Mary's Anglican (Former)

Kingower, VIC - St Mary's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: 1164 Inglewood Rheola Road, , Kingower Victoria, 3517

A report from the "Inglewood Advertiser" of January 28, 1870 reads, "The Memorial Stone of St. Mary's Church at Kingower was laid on Tuesday last (January 25) by Miss Mary Hall, the daughter of the Revd. William Hall, M.A., the Incumbent of the Kingower district, assisted by the members of the Ladies' Committee of the Church Building…

Read More

Kingston, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican(Former)

Kingston, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican(Former)

Address: 1 Church Parade, , Kingston Victoria, 3364

Read More

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St George's Anglican

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1917

Address: 273 Rossiter Road, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981

The first Anglican service was held on October 7, 1897. The foundation stone of St George’s was laid by the Bishop of Gippsland, Arthur Wellesley, and it was dedicated on December 7 1917. St George’s Church was designed by Louis Williams of North and Williams. The Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by…

Read More

Koroit, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Koroit, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Cnr Horne & Queen Street, , Koroit Victoria, 3282

Read More

Korumburra, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Korumburra, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 3 Queens Street, , Korumburra Victoria, 3950

The foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid 26th March 1927 by the Right Rev G.H. Granswick D.D. the Bishop of Gippsland. Rector H.O. Architect Gawler and Drummond builder A.J. Frongerud - Wardens E. Knyvett, W.O. McPherson". The Church was built in 1927 . The Church is a modest example of Interwar Gothic…

Read More

Kyabram, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Kyabram, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: 33 Church Street, , Kyabram Victoria, 3620

Read More

Kyneton, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Kyneton, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1856 - 1860

Address: Powlett Street, , Kyneton Victoria, 3444

The first service was held in temporary digs in 1851 in Kyneton. St. Paul's Church is one of Victoria's oldest substantial churches and one of the very earliest with a tower. This church is also unusually large for a country town's church, being seven bays long rather than the norm of five or three bays. Interestingly St. Paul's is…

Read More

Lake Tyers, VIC - St Johns Anglican

Lake Tyers, VIC - St Johns Anglican

Lake Tyers was an Aboriginal mission station established in 1861 when John Bulmer persuaded the Government to set aside 4,000 acres of land as a reserve for aboriginals. St Johns was dedicated by Canon Chase in 1870.

Read More

Lakes Entrance, VIC - St Nicholas' Anglican

Lakes Entrance, VIC - St Nicholas' Anglican

Address: 11 Church Street, , Lakes Entrance Victoria, 3909

Read More

Lancefield, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Lancefield, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1868

Address: 33 Chauncey Street, , Lancefield Victoria, 3435

The Church was opened in 1868.

Read More

Lang Lang, VIC - St John's Anglican

Lang Lang, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 6 Whitstable Street, , Lang Lang Victoria, 3984

The old church was transported from another site. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rt Rev David Arthur Garnsey M.A. Th. D. Fifth Bishop of Gippsland on 28th February 1959. Louis R Williams F.R.A.I.A. Architect - H.B. Kirby B.A. Thl Rector".

Read More

Langwarrin, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Langwarrin, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Warrandyte & North Roads, , Langwarrin Victoria, 3910

The original church was a former World War 1 army hut. By 1960 it was decided to look at constructing a new church. A substantial donation by Nevil Shute Norway helped in the process. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1963 by R.W. Dann B.A. The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Caldwell. The church was built by John Wolt…

Read More

Lara, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Lara, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 59 Flinders Avenue, , Lara Victoria, 3212

In 1857 Anglicans of Little River attended their first service at the You Yangs Parsonage and by 1877 their new bluestone church building was opened. In 1957 the original church was completed with the dedication of a new sanctuary. The Vicarage was built in 1955 and a New Sunday School (education block) in 1960. The new Church and Hall…

Read More

Leitchville, VIC - Latimer the Martyr Anglican

Leitchville, VIC - Latimer the Martyr Anglican

Address: 23 Findlay Avenue, , Leitchville Victoria, 3567

Read More

Leongatha, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Leongatha, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Corner Bruce & McCartin Streets, , Leongatha Victoria, 3953

It seems that the town of Leongatha had its beginnings just before the south Gippsland railway line reached that area in 1892. The first Church of England service in Leongatha was held in the home of Miss Shingler on 25 February 1890. It was conducted by Archdeacon Henry Langley and the Reverend C.J. Chambers from Foster.

Read More

Leopold, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Leopold, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: 725 Queenscliff Road, , Leopold Victoria, 3224

In 1853 the Rev. George Pollard was appointed to care for Anglicans for the whole of the Bellarine district, the initial church being the school at Pt. Henry. This simple and original early English Gothic style church is an interesting parish church design and a notable work of Edward Prowse, a Geelong architect with an acknowledged…

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Jones & Castella Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

Land for an Anglican church was purchased in February 1867 and construction commenced the following year. The first service in the completed building was held in October 1868. The memorial stone was laid by Baroness De Pury on 25 September 1886.

Read More

Linton, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Linton, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Gillespie Street, , Linton Victoria, 3360

There is a note in the local Register of Services at Linton to the effect that "although no exact date of opening is recorded, it is believed that St. Paul's Day, 25th January, 1863, was the date chosen. Bishop Perry of Melbourne performed the Ceremony with the Rev. Mr. L'Oste as Vicar." The authentic evidence concerning this matter does…

Read More

Loch, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Loch, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: Corner Clarence St and Victoria Road, , Loch Victoria, 3945

Loch was originally part of the Poowong parish however when the railway line was put thru Loch it was decided the Diocese would be at Loch. A fire did consume the church around 1924 and most of the church records were destroyed. Following the fire church services were held in the Mechanics hall in Smith Street. The Church was designed…

Read More

Lockington, VIC - Anglican

Lockington, VIC - Anglican

Address: 7 Willis Street, , Lockington Victoria, 3563

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God and in memory of James Sinclair Hon Secretary 1941 - 1957 Erected by the Parishioners". The Church was consecrated June 13th 1982. A further plaque reads, " For the worship of the Holy Trinity Oct 5th 1930".

Read More

Long Gully, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Long Gully, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 153 Eaglehawk Road, , Long Gully Victoria, 3550

The Church commenced in a weatherboard church but then moved into the Methodist Church its current location when the Methodists built their own church in Wilson Street. A Foundation stone reads, " St Matthews Church AD 1883".

Read More

Lorne, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Lorne, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: Mountjoy Parade, , Lorne Victoria, 3232

Original services were held beside the Erskine river and later transferred to Erskine House in 1879 - 1880. The decision to build a church was made on 19 January 1880. A contract was let to build a church at a cost of £205 on an acre of land donated by Mr Gwynne. The church built there was later moved to its current site in 1884.

Read More

Macarthur, VIC - Christ Church Anglican (Former)

Macarthur, VIC - Christ Church Anglican (Former)

Address: 30 High Street, , Macarthur Victoria, 3286

Read More

Maffra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Maffra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 16 Church Street, , Maffra Victoria, 3860

In 1868 the government had granted one and three-quarter acres of land to the Church of England for church purposes. This land, bounded by Boisdale, Princess, and King Streets, was thought by the Church Committee to be too far from the centre of town. So in May 1871 two half-acre blocks in Church Street were bought from a member of the…

Read More

Malacoota, VIC - St Peter's Co Operating Church

Malacoota, VIC - St Peter's Co Operating Church

Address: 1 Allan Drive, , Malacoota Victoria, 3892

Read More

Malmsbury, VIC - St John's Anglican

Malmsbury, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861 - 1866

Address: Brodie Street, , Malmsbury Victoria, 3446

The first church service in Malmsbury was held in what was Mr French's store when the Rev'd James Sullivan was then Rector of Kyneton. The Church was designed by Purchas & Swyer in the Later Gothic style. A wall plaque reads, "St John the Evangelist Church 1861. Bishop Perry laid the foundation stone watched by 300 people in Nov 1861.…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - St George's Anglican

Malvern, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 296 Glenferrie Road, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

In 1857 the local committee representing the Church of England acquired an acre of land in Glenferrie Road (the northern half of this site is occupied by the parish hall), and built a school room, which in 1858 was licensed for Church services. The priest in charge was the Reverend Henry Liddiard, who also had charge of the district of…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Malvern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Glenferrie & Dandenong Roads, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

In 1904 St Paul's first wooden church was built on the corner of Derby Parade and Salisbury St Caulfield and licensed as St Paul's Caulfield on the 20th of February. In 1909 the church was put on wheels and moved by horse cart to our present location. In 1910, after renovations it reopened as St Paul's, Malvern and Caulfield. The Vicarage…

Read More

Manangatang, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican (Former)

Manangatang, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1929

Address: 43 Pioneer Street, , Manangatang Victoria, 3546

The first Anglican (Church of England) were held Railway Staiton waiting room and at the Primary School. A local builder, W N Griffith & Son, built St Andrews Church of England in 1929 with Archdeacon Morgan Payler dedicating the church on 30th November. Possibly 'attending' clergy provided service until 1936 when Rev. Frederick Morton…

Read More

Mansfield, VIC - St John's Anglican

Mansfield, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1940

Address: Corner Highett & Victoria Streets, , Mansfield Victoria, 3722

The Foundation stone for the original Church was laid on 5 September 1865 by Mr Alfred Chenery J.P. The first service was held in May of 1866. Consecration of the Church took place on 9 November 1887 and was performed by the Right Rev Bishop Filed Flowers Geo. The Parish Hall was approved for construction in 1906 and was to be of…

Read More