Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1951 and 1960


Albury North, NSW - Trinity Uniting

Albury North, NSW - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 1052 Mate Street, , Albury North New South Wales, 2640

The Foundation stone was laid August 9 1958 by Rev E A Bennett and opened November 29 by Rev E H Wood.

Read More

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 2 Camp Road, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

Prior to 1886 occasional services were held from time to time by Anglican clergy who were visiting Anglesea. Regular services were commenced in Mr Jackson's house by Archdeacon Stretch in 1886 and were later continued by readers from Modewarre. Mr G.F. Belcher donated land for a church and in 1887. John S. Jackson, a Geelong architect…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican

Annerley, QLD - St Philips Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 115 Cromwall Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set and blessed by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 17th October 1954 J.G. Johnson Rector."

Read More

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 54 Simpson Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation Stone was laid on 12 May 1957 by his Grace the Archbishop of Perth The Most Reverend R.W.H. Moline MC DD.

Read More

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 2 McKenzie Road, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1955 by the Reverend F.C. Norman Inwood. The site of the present church was first developed in the early 1950s and the original building is now the church hall.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner King Street & Ararat Pomonal Road, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Formerly a Presbyterian Church that was first considered at a meeting on 16 June 1858 with Mr Robert Allan, being the first Secretary. On 10 September 1858 the first service was held under the leadership of Dr Cairns.* On 10 February 1859 the Church was opened under the stewardship of Rev William MackIntosh. The debt for the church and…

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Ashburton, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 334 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

On 14th January 1947, eighteen residents gathered for a meeting called by the Rev. C.H. Zercho, Vicar of St Oswald's, Glen Iris, to discuss possible plans for Anglican activities in Ashburton. The first church building was dedicated on 21 September 1947. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by His Grace The Archbishop of…

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 270 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

The first Mass was conducted by Father Patrick Loughnan on Sunday 11 December 1927 at the Ashburton Hall located on the corner of High Street and Johnston Street, just west of the shopping centre. On 26 April 1946 Ashburton was created a parish, entrusted to the care of Father John Ryan who had been an army chaplain. As the parish grew he…

Read More

Ashbury, NSW - Uniting

Ashbury, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 5 Melville Street, , Ashbury New South Wales, 21993

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Rev BR Wyllie MA BD President NSW Conference 26th Oct 1957. The Rev P.F. Gibson Minister". The Hall is called the Peace Memorial Hall and was built around 1962.

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 202 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 September 1955 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Ashgrove, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: 286 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The first sketch plans for the new church were prepared by a local resident, Mr. R. Moreton Taylor, who was at that time the Principal Architect of the Commonwealth Department of Works and Housing. The church was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Hale on 15 June 1952 and was the second church to be built on the site, replacing the…

Read More

Auchenflower, QLD - St Alban's the Martyr Anglican

Auchenflower, QLD - St Alban's the Martyr Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 395 Milton Road, , Auchenflower Queensland, 4066

In 1923 when the church was first commenced services were held in a local school room until the new church was opened on 18 November 1923. The first Anglican Church of St Alban the Martyr in Auchenflower was dedicated by Archbishop Sharp on 18 November 1923. The foundation stone of a new brick church was set and blessed by Archbishop…

Read More

Ayr, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Ayr, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

Address: 109 MacMillan Street, , Ayr Queensland, 4807

A plaque reads, St Andrews Presbyterian Memorial Church dedicated to the Glory of God Reverend A.G. McLaren Moderator of the Presbytery of Townsville 7 May 1960'.

Read More

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1953

Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets, , Balaclava North Victoria, 3183

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.* At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Belmore & Winfield Road, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

The vision for a church occurred in 1950 with the land being purchased on 27 July 1951. A portable building was erected on the site on 17 February 1952. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend H. Slarnette President of the Conference 12 July 1953. The three bay church hall was opened in 1954. Additions to the Church were completed in…

Read More

Barcaldine, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Barcaldine, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 89 Elm Street, , Barcaldine Queensland, 4725

The first Sacred Heart Church was one of the buildings that was moved from one stop on the railway line to the next as it advanced westwards. It was re-erected after it arrived from Jericho with the railway in 1886 on the corner of Willow and Yew streets. In 1889 a second church was built nearby and that was replaced by the current…

Read More

Barham, NSW - St John's Anglican

Barham, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1956

Address: 27 Niemur Street, , Barham New South Wales, 2732

A Foundation stone reads, " AMDG This Foundation stone of St John the Evangelist was laid by the Right Reverend the Bishop of Riverena 11th March 1956". A wall plaque reads, " In Memory of their ministry in this Parish Canon Julius Courteen Stonehouse 1953 - 1985, Archdeacon David Richard Bond 1996 - 2016, Well done good & faithfull…

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Hill Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

An earlier church was opened in November 1868 to the design of the Ballarat architect H.R. Caselli, costing more than £900.00. The foundation stone of the present church, designed by Ballarat diocesan architect G.S. Richards, was laid in April 1957. It was constructed in cream brick in a refined Gothic style: there is a small tower at…

Read More

Beaumaris, VIC - Baptist

Beaumaris, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1960

Address: 223 Balcombe Road, , Beaumaris Victoria, 3193

Around 1955 two blocks of land in the central Beaumaris area had been purchased, but under new uniform building regulations, they proved too small for the erection of a Church building. Members were then led to a large block of land (100ft. by 400ft.) in Balcombe Road which was available for purchase at £3500. Following approval of…

Read More

Belmore, NSW - St Alban's Community Anglican

Belmore, NSW - St Alban's Community Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: 722 Canterbury Road, , Belmore New South Wales, 2192

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Excellency the Governor of NSW Sir Eric Woodward KCM GCB CBE DSO 30th April 1960".

Read More

Belmore, NSW - St Joseph's Catrholic

Belmore, NSW - St Joseph's Catrholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 722 Canterbury Road, , Belmore New South Wales, 2192

In 1905 the Canterbury priests began celebrating Mass in Bradburns Hall in Belmore. On 12 May 1907, St Joseph’s Church was opened at a cost of £760 in Wilson Avenue, Belmore, serviced by the priests at Campsie. Additions to the Church were made in 1916 at a cost of £550. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This Foundation stone of…

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St Paul's Catholic

Bentleigh, VIC - St Paul's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 122 Jasper Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

A foundation stone reads " This stone symbol of Christ, Chief corner stone of the church was blessed and set by His Grace Archbishop Simonds 13th November 1960, T O'Sullivan P.P. S. J. Morgan and Associates Architect H.P. Yunken Pty Ltd Builder".

Read More

Bermagui, NSW - Our Lady Help Christians Catholic

Bermagui, NSW - Our Lady Help Christians Catholic

Year Built: 1952

Address: 8 Paraboon Drive, , Bermagui New South Wales, 2546

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev G. Young D.D. 28 Dec 1952. Rev J. Blakney".

Read More

Berrigan, NSW - Uniting

Berrigan, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1952

Address: Corner Chanter & Drummond Streets, , Berrigan New South Wales, 2712

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend F.H. Rayward O.B.E D.D. President of the NSW Conference on 15 November 1952.

Read More

Berrybank, VIC - Uniting

Berrybank, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Foxhow Road, , Berrybank Victoria, 3323

The former church was destroyed by fire on 14 January 1944. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 21 April 1954 by William M Clark. The Architect was Keith Reid while the builder was A McHolson.

Read More

Biloela, QLD - Presbyterian

Biloela, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was laid by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland the Right Rev T.C. Watson BA 23rd April 1960. Minister Rev R.A. Paterson DIP DIV Session Clerk Mr A.C. Shepherdson".

Read More

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Main Street, , Birdwood South Australia, 2446

The Foundation stone was laid on 1 December 1956 by Mr E.T. Pflaum.

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - The Avenue Uniting

Blackburn, VIC - The Avenue Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner The Avenue & Blackburn Road, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The first Presbyterian Church was erected in 1926. In the 1950's there was already a small brick Presbyterian Church , but with post war expansion this proved inadequate. The worshipping community worked hard to give expression to an expanded vision for the area and the "new" Presbyterian church. The foundation stone of the current…

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 98 Chennel Highway, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Church was designed by the well known Tasmanian architect J.H.E. Dorney and constructed in 1957.

Read More

Boort, VIC - St Andrews Anglican

Boort, VIC - St Andrews Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 51 Lakewview Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

The first service was held at the "Boort" station woolshed on October 6th. 1850, and- in St. Andrew's there is a memorial prayer desk to "Frederic Race Godfrey, Pioneer-"Boort" station 1847-1863". The Rev. Drought, a descendent of the Godfreys, preached the first sermon in the present church. The original St. Andrew's was owned by the…

Read More

Boort, VIC - Uniting

Boort, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 8 King Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

The first Methodist services were conducted as part of the Inglewood circuit from the mid-1870s. A church building was erected in Boort in 1881 after the school building became too small for services. A new brick Methodist church was built in Boort in 1958 by Don Hock of Bendigo and the former Catumnal Methodist church building, built…

Read More

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: Chester Pass Road, , Borden Western Australia, 6338

The Foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Bishop of the Diocese by Mrs Mavis Milne on 15 May 1959. Rector OA Wall??

Read More

Botant, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Botant, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 4 Ramsgate Street, , Botany New South Wales, 2019

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. St Bernard's Church was blessed and opened 3rd April 1955 by His Eminence N.T. Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney Rev T. Everard Priest in Charge".

Read More

Brighton, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Brighton, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 44 North Road, , Brighton Queensland, 4017

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane 14th November 1959 J.L. Farrell and J.G. Taylor Church Wardens J.C. Thomson Rector".

Read More

Broadford, VIC - Uniting

Broadford, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

Originally a Methodist church, the Broadford Uniting Church is located next to the Library. Construction of the current building commenced in November of 1956, and the Foundation stone was laid by the President of the Conference, the Rev. Norman Lade MA, BD on 16 February 1957. The dedication of the church took place in September 1957.

Read More

Bundaberg, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Bundaberg, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: 30 George Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670

Lutheranism in Bundaberg was established in 1873. Lutheran Pastor Carl Hellmuth of Maryborough visited Bundaberg to preach, administer Holy Communion, and baptise - the first formal Lutheran services in Bundaberg. In 1877 monthly services commenced in a shop in Bundaberg and in 1882 Bundaberg's first Lutheran church was built in Tanitha…

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124

The establishment of a Church in South Camberwell was mooted in July, 1916, when the Vicar of our Mother Church, St. John's, Camberwell, the Rev. A. Roscoe Wilson, suggested to the Archbishop the purchase of land in the district for that purpose. It was recorded that the erection of a Church Hall in this area, to be known as St. Mary's,…

Read More

Canungra, QLD - Uniting

Canungra, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 31 Appel Street, , Canungra Queensland, 4275

A plaque reads, " Canungra Memorial Methodist Church To the Glory of God in Remembrance of fallen of World War 11 Opened and dedicated on 5th June 1954 by President of Conference Rev C.E. Holland Minister Rev A.L. Rose".

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 8 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

From TROVE 3 Sep 1886. The Cheltenham Presbyterian congregation on last Wednesday evening held a conversazione, to show their appreciation of the services ot the late pastor, the Hey. D. H. Ballantyne, who after 17 years' ministration, working in connexion with the Brighton church Cheltenham being a missionary station had resigned the…

Read More

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1958

Address: 27 Wyndham Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

The Marist Fathers took charge of St. Bernard's Parish, Claremont, when Father O'Halloran, SM, came as parish priest in February 1958. Archbishop Guilford Young blessed and opened St. Bernard's Church, in Wyndham Road on April 20, 1958. Working bees organised by Father J. C. Wallis (Claremont was served from Glenorchy before the Marists…

Read More