Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1951 and 1960


Upwey, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Upwey, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 3 Birdwood Avenue, , Upwey Victoria, 3158

The Church records include the names of many of the stipendiary lay readers and theological students who took services throughout the hills during these early years, among whom were C. W. Woolley, C. Elliott, H. Girdlestone, E. Millard, C. Richardson, A. Gearing and W. Kent. assisting in the early years included The Revds. R. Sherwood, G.…

Read More

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 16 Yarragundry Street, , Uranquinty New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1960 by Mrs Thomas Rodham.

Read More

Wahroonga, NSW - Holy Name Catholic

Wahroonga, NSW - Holy Name Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 35 Billyard Avenue, , Wahroonga New South Wales, 2076

The Parish of Holy Name was established on 18th March 1948, by decree of Cardinal Norman Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney, as a parish of the Archdiocese of Sydney , and was immediately placed under the pastoral care of the Dominican Fathers. The construction of the church began in October 1951 and was designed by Mrs. Nancy Davey. It was…

Read More

Waitara, NSW - Anglican

Waitara, NSW - Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 34 Palmerston Road, , Waitara New South Wales, 2077

There are two Foundation stones attached to the church. The first reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Rt Rev W.G. Hillard MA on the 22nd February 1959". The second stone reads, " The building extensions of Waitara Anglican Church were officially opened by the Archbishop of Sydney Dr Peter Jensen on 17th February 2013".

Read More

Walbundarie, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting

Walbundarie, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Queen Street, , Walbundarie New South Wales,

Originally a Presbyterian church. The Foundation stone was laid by Jessie May Gibbons on 20 August 1957.

Read More

Walkerston, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Walkerston, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: 3 Bold Street, , Walkerston Queensland, 4751

From 1876 until 1886 Walkerston was part of the Mackay Charge. The first services were held in a building on the site known as "The Old Boiling Downs", at the west end of Walkerston. The honour of promoting the initial steps to have a place of Public Worship established belongs to the late Mrs. John Cook, of Balnagowan, and the late…

Read More

Walkerston, QLD - St Mary Magdelene Anglican

Walkerston, QLD - St Mary Magdelene Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: 11 McColl Street, , Walkerston Queensland, 4751

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed by Ian Sixth Bishop of North Queensland and set by Mr T.G. Jacklin a resident of the Parish for 46 Years. 2nd July 1960".

Read More

Wandal, QLD - Methodist

Wandal, QLD - Methodist

Year Built: 1957

Address: 35 Rundle Street, , Wandal Queensland, 4700

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid to the Glory of God and in honour of those of this Parish who served in the two conflicts by Sir Raymond Huish CBE State President RSS & AIF on Saturday 3rd October 1957 - Members of Session, Reg G.W. Taylor Moderator, H.W. Esdale, J.S. Morrison T.G. McMaster, A McGamley, J.…

Read More

Wangaratta, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Wangaratta, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1953

Address: 3 Orwell Street, , Wangaratta Victoria, 3677

The beginnings of the church were under the auspices of the (ELCA) and the UELCA). The first divine service was held of the U.L.C.A. was conducted on Monday 7 August 1933 in the home of Mr and Mrs K.J. Lieschke and the service was conducted by Pastor J.T.P. Stolz. Services continued to be held in private homes and the Masonic Lodge…

Read More

Warradale, SA - Lutheran

Warradale, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: 2 Ailsa Avenue, , Warradale South Australia, 5046

The first services were held in the Brighton RSL hall in 1954. In 1952 Messrs Zilm and A. Cheney, Elders of St. Paul's elders of St Paul's Trinity and Colonel Light Gardens respectively, foresaw the possibility of the growing Warradale area and that the few Lutherans residing in the district had no ready access to either of these…

Read More

Watsonia, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Watsonia, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1959

Address: Devonshire Road, , Victoria, 3087

The church was established at a meeting in the backyard of the home of Les and Val Miles on 30 January 1957. The first service was held on 24 February 1957 at the home of Jack and Val French, and conducted by Rev. HM Watson. From 7 September 1958, morning services and a Sunday School were held in the "old tin shed", which became the…

Read More

Wavell Heights, QLD - Uniting

Wavell Heights, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 147 Rode Road, , Wavell Heights Queensland, 4012

1935 was an important year for establishing a Methodist presence in the area when the church trustees purchased four parcels of land fronting Rode Road and a decision was made to build a church hall. On 18 December 1935 the transfer to the Methodist Church trustees of resubdivisions 15,16, 17 and 18 were lodged with the Titles Office.…

Read More

Weethalle, NSW - St Christopher's Anglican

Weethalle, NSW - St Christopher's Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: Mid West Highway, , Weethalle New South Wales, 2669

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 July 1954 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Weethalle, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Weethalle, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Built of brick and timber the Foundation stone was laid on 2 December 1956 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Wentworthville, NSW - Our Lady of Carmel Catholic

Wentworthville, NSW - Our Lady of Carmel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 4 Bennett Street, , Wentworthville New South Wales, 2145

The first church was built and opened in 1922. The current church was blessed and opened on 6 March 1955. Cardinal Gilroy appointed the Carmelite Friars to care for the parish of Wentworthville in 1956. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid by his Eminence Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney 6th March 1955. Rev…

Read More

Wentworthville, NSW - Uniting

Wentworthville, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 115 Station Street, , Wentworthville New South Wales, 2145

A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God this stone was unveiled by Frank Dobson Esq Rev W. Tredinnick Lth Minister 20th November 1954".

Read More

West Brunswick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

West Brunswick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 183 Hope Street, , West Brunswick Victoria, 3055

The West Brunswick Parish was established by Archbishop Thomas Joseph Carr in 1913, appointing Father C. Sheahan as the first Parish Priest. The present Church is the second building to stand on the site. Work on the current Church commenced in 1949. The Church was built in two sections, the first part being built behind and over the…

Read More

West Footscray, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

West Footscray, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 141 Essex Street, , West Footscray Victoria, 3012

The original church was built in 1927 and then the current building was constructed in 1957.

Read More

West Townsville, QLD - Uniting

West Townsville, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 71 Ingham Road, , West Townsville Queensland, 4810

The first West End (Methodist) Church was a weatherboard building built and opened in 1886 on the corner of Flinders Street West and Church Street. A Foundation stone reads, " West End Methodist Memorial Church To the Glory of God and in memory of those who served their country 1914 - 1918 1939 - 1945 and as a tribute to the early…

Read More

Westmead, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Westmead, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 75 Hawkesbury, , Westmead New South Wales, 2145

St Barnabas' Anglican Church traces its beginnings back to 1912 when home Sunday School classes were commenced at Westmead. A property at 75 Hawkesbury Road was acquired in 1936 and the hall where the church had previously met was moved to that site. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Most…

Read More

Williamstown, VIC - St Stephens Uniting

Williamstown, VIC - St Stephens Uniting

Year Built: 1956

Address: 179 Melbourne Road, , Williamstown Victoria, 3016

Established in 1886 as North Williamstown Presbyterian Church. The original church building is now the church hall and was relocated when a new church was built in 1956. The Foundation stone was laid by The Right Reverend S.A. Goddard on 19 July 1958. The Architect was Keith Reid and built by W.H. Langdon and Sons.

Read More

Willow Tree, NSW - Catholic

Willow Tree, NSW - Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 25 Learmouth Street, , Willow Tree New South Wales, 2339

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of this Church dedicated to the Immaculate heart of Mary was solemnly blessed and laid by The Most Rev E.J. Doody D.D. Bishop of Armidale Sunday May 9 1954 Very Reverend M. Tully R.I. Parish Priest".

Read More

Wilston, QLD - Trinity Grove Uniting

Wilston, QLD - Trinity Grove Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 1 Hawdon Street, , Wilston Queensland, 4051

A Foundation stone reads, "Wilston Methodist Memorial Church to the Glory of God in memory and gratitude to those who died and all who served in World Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 this stone was laid by Rev George E Holland President of the Conference 27th November 1954. Henry W Prouse Minister, Leslie R Draper Secretary, Eric R P…

Read More

Wynnum, QLD - Presbyterian

Wynnum, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1951

Address: 231 Bay Terrace, , Wynnum Queensland, 4178

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was laid by Rt Rev. R. Bardon BA Moderator-General Presbyterian Church of Australia on the tenth day of November 1951".

Read More

Yangan, QLD - Our Lady of good counsel Catholic

Yangan, QLD - Our Lady of good counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: King Street, , Yangan Queensland, 4371

The Church was opened on 4 December 1955.

Read More

Yass, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Yass, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 105 Meehan Street, , Yass New South Wales, 2582

Read More

Yeoval, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Yeoval, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1954

Address: King Street, , Yeoval New South Wales, 2868

A Foundation stone reads, "To the glory of God this stone was set by W R Glasson Esq. FRCSA 4th September 1954. A second foundation stone reads Yeoval Union Church, "To the glory of God this stone was set by A. A. West Esq. on behalf of his fellow trustees L Munro & W H J Tremain 4th September 1954 Yeoval Union Church. In 2022 the…

Read More

Yerong Creek, NSW - Trinitiy Presbyterian

Yerong Creek, NSW - Trinitiy Presbyterian

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner Cox & Cole Street, , Yerong Creek New South Wales, 2642

A Foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1959 by Mrs Neil Paton.

Read More

Zillmere, QLD - St Flannan's Catholic

Zillmere, QLD - St Flannan's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 194 Handford Road, , Zillmere Queensland, 4034

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 February 1954 by the Most Reverend James Duhig D.D. and he also dedicated the building on 28 November 1954.

Read More