Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Heyfield, VIC - Anglican

Heyfield, VIC - Anglican

Address: 40 Temple Street, , Heyfield Victoria, 3858

Read More

Highett, VIC - St Agnes Catholic

Highett, VIC - St Agnes Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 10 Spring Road, , Highett Victoria, 3190

A Plaque on the church wall reads, "This Church dedicated to S. Agnes V.M. was blessed and opened on Wednesday 10 September 1969 by Archbishop J Knox D.D. Parish Priest Fr G. Quilter. The Church was built as a Peace Memorial for those who died Defending their country R.I.P. This stone commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the Parish 13…

Read More

Highton, VIC - St John's Anglican

Highton, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Corner Roslyn & South Valley Road, , Highton Victoria, 3216

The first recorded services in Highton were held in 1858 in the Church of England Day school opposite the cemetery in Barrabool Road. The Foundation stone for St John's was laid on 22 November 1866 by The Very Venerable H.B. Mccartney and was opened 1 January 1867. On 22 July 1926 a tornado struck the church, unroofed it and demolished…

Read More

Hillcrest, TAS - Anglican (Former)

Hillcrest, TAS - Anglican (Former)

Address: 2 Payne Street, , Hillcrest Tasmania,

A Foundation stone reads, "A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by Ven Archdeacon Walters 15.3.1953". The church has closed and is now used as storage for a local Theatre Company.

Read More

Hobart South, TAS - All Saint's Anglican

Hobart South, TAS - All Saint's Anglican

Address: 343 Macquarie Street South, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone was laid on 2 December 1858, and the building was opened for worship on 18 August in the year following. It was a condition of the contract that the Rector lead the workmen in prayers before the start of each day's work. The side-aisle and chapel were added in 1863 and the vestries in 1895. The Architect was Henry…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1889

Address: 284 Elizabeth Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The original Tabernacle on this site was constructed in 1883 and took just six days. It was cobbled together from packing cases, old timber and tin with salvaged iron beams as supports. In 1884 the foundation stone was laid for a new building to be used as a church. Later it became tine Sunday School when the larger Tabernacle was…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Hobart City Church of Christ

Hobart, TAS - Hobart City Church of Christ

Address: 4 Goulburn Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

First service was held on January 10th 1872, arranged by Brother Oliver A. Carr, and originally met in the Harrington Street Baptist Chapel. In 1866, they moved to their purpose built home in the ‘Christians Chapel’ in Collins Street, Hobart – where they worshipped and served the growing central business district of Hobart for more…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1834

Address: 29 Bathurst Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The Church was built between 1834 and 1836 and the architect was J.E. Addison. The brick constructed hall was built in 1824 and was the original St Andrew's Presbyterian church and is the oldest Presbyterian church in Australia. It features a central tower-like parapet and four small spires. The church was lengthened by 6m in 1860 to…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St David's Anglican Cathedral

Hobart, TAS - St David's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1868

Address: Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

On 17 January 1862 St David's Cathedral and land on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets, Hobart was granted by the Crown to the Trustees of the Diocese of Tasmania. The original church on this site is dated from 1817. The Church was named in memory of Governor David Collins who established Hobart in 1804. It was completed in…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone of St. David’s Mission chapel was laid on the 24th of November 1884 by the Bishop of Tasmania, Rev. Dr. Daniel Fox Sandford. The design of the church was entrusted to Mr H Hunter, architect of Macquarie Street who prepared plans for a building to cost £1,500. In basic Gothic style and built of brick with stone…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1957

Address: 5 Antill Street, , Hobart South Tasmania, 7004

A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone of this Greek Orthodox Church was laid by The Honourable Consul for Greece T.T. Rogers O.B.E. J.P. on 25. 3. 1957".

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican (former)

Hobart, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican (former)

Year Built: 1852

Address: Corner Goulburn & Forest Road, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

This former church is now a set of private residences. A modest stone church in Gothic-Revival style set on irregular corner site, the major aspect of the building reveals an unusual occurrence in Gothic design - the building is visually very heavy, the result of a naturally steep site and creating a level across the contours. The…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St John's Presbyterian

Hobart, TAS - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1843

Address: 188 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

A stone church in non-conformist neo-classical style. THE first service in Hobart was conducted by an ordained Presbyterian minister was in 1823 at the corner of Macquarie and Murray streets, and the first Presbyterian church was built at Bathurst Street. In 1840 a building committee was formed with ex-convict, architect James Thomson…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Hobart, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1841

Address: 165 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

A sandstone church built in Gothic style. Has a Nave with featured stonework to arched openings and pilasters to side walls. The church was built in 1841 and opened by Father Therry on Christmas morning 1841. It was designed by James Thomson, a former convict with convict labour employed to carry out the work. The tower is 60 feet…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Address: Brisbane Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

Formerly a Congregational Church. It was built in 1870 and rebuilt in 1936 & enlarged in 1939. The congregation of this church first met in 1836 in the small Beraea Chapel in Liverpool Street, which has since been demolished. In 1837 a new church was built in lower Collins Street. By the 1850s this proved too small to meet the…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1837

Address: 56 Melville Street, Hobart, Hobart Tasmania, 7000

On 29 October 1820 a Class meeting was held under the sponsorship of laymen Benjamin Nokes and George Waddy. The continuity of Wesleyan Methodism in Hobart is dated from this occasion. On 12th February 1821 the first meeting in the Argyle Street chapel was held. This building was a rented carpenter's shop owned by one Charles Donn. The…

Read More

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1898

Address: 180 Harrington Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

St Mary’s Cathedral was the vision of the first Bishop of Hobart Town, Robert William Willson. Bishop Willson chose the design and spent years raising the funds. Designed by William Wardell, one of Australia’s greatest nineteenth-century architects, it was completed except for its steeple between 1876 and 1898 to a modified design by…

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - Knox Uniting

Holbrook, NSW - Knox Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner Hume Highway & Hume Street, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Until the year 1870, there had been no religious services held in the district of Germanton (later Holbrook). The population had increased during the two or three years previously, and a desire for religious services was expressed. The Rev. Alex Robb, who at this time was the Minister of the Presbyterian Church at Albury, arranged to…

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Holbrook, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Address: Hume Highway, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Additions to the church was made in 1955 and blessed by the Most Rev F.A. Hanschke on 18 December.

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Holbrook, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Young Street, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Original built in 1887 the church was opened in 1887. A Sanctuary was added in 1967. Other alterations took place in 1958 and 1964. The Rev. Julius Scott took charge early in 1884, and appears to have been the first occupant of the Parsonage. He must have been a capable man and of strong personality, for it was he who had largely…

Read More

Holland Park, QLD - Church of Christ

Holland Park, QLD - Church of Christ

Address: 52 Crown Street, , Holland Park Queensland, 4121

The Church became a separate cause on 1 September 1969.

Read More

Holt, ACT - Kippax Uniting

Holt, ACT - Kippax Uniting

Address: Corner Hardwick & Luke Street, , Holt Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Read More

Holt, ACT - St James Anglican

Holt, ACT - St James Anglican

Address: 40 Beaurepaire Crescent, , Holt Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Read More

Hopetoun, WA - Church of Peter the Fisherman Catholic

Hopetoun, WA - Church of Peter the Fisherman Catholic

Address: The Esplanade, , Hopetoun Western Australia , 6348

Read More

Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ

Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Urquhart & Baillie Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first service was held on 30 January 1887 by Mr D. W. Little in the Horsham Temperance Hall. Only 6 locals attended however by the evening service more than a dozen showed up. During the first three months thirteen baptisms had been carried out. Until 1915 only local men including Mr Butler, Spicer and Millar, carried out conducing…

Read More

Horsham, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Horsham, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Address: Baillie Street, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

Read More

Horsham, VIC - Presbyterian

Horsham, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 16 Kalhee Road, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first Minister was Mr Horatio Ellermann who presided over an evening church service on 14 January 1858. Formerly of Antwerp and North Melbourne. Rev Robert Hogg was the first Minister to take regular services in the Horsham area and these first services were conducted at the Court House and local School house.* By 1866 church…

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Horsham, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

Various Presbyterian Ministers visited the Horsham area. The recognised commencement of the church was on 14 January 1858. It is noted that Rev Hogg conducted services in the local Court House and then the school house until a suitable church could be erected. The eventual church was constructed at a cost of £700.

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican

Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Baillie Street, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first resident Priest was the Rev J.M. Watson who began his services in the Mechanics Institute.Within a year of his arrival a vicarage was built and ready for occupation in February 1877. The original St Johns was opened and dedicated on April 29 1877 by Bishop Samuel Thornton of the newly established Ballarat Diocese. The…

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic

Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1987

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first Mass to be held in Horsham was in 1857 by visiting Priest Fr. Patrick Madden. The first church was opened by Bishop O'Connor on 12 November 1876, a wooden building facing west to McPherson Street.* The church of 1913 was designed by the architects Clegg, Miller & Riley of Ballarat. A simple design with gable nave without…

Read More

Howrah, TAS - Church of Christ

Howrah, TAS - Church of Christ

Address: 347 Rokeby Road, , Howrah Tasmania, 7018

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Howrah, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Howrah, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Lorne Crescent, , Howrah Tasmania, 7018

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Hughes, ACT - Baptist

Hughes, ACT - Baptist

Address: Groom Street, , Hughes Australian Capital Territory, 2605

Read More

Huonville, TAS- Church of Christ Community

Huonville, TAS- Church of Christ Community

Year Built: 1965

Address: 81 Main Street, , Huonville Tasmania, 7109

A Foundation stone reads, : Huonville, Memorial Congregational Church opened and dedicated to the Glory of God on June 27th 1965 by Ref Harold James Ralph. Thy faithfulness in unto all generations. Psalm 118 - 90".

Read More

Hurlstone Park, NSW - Baptist Vietnamese

Hurlstone Park, NSW - Baptist Vietnamese

Address: Griffith Street, , Hurlstone Park New South Wales, 2193

Mrs Annie White donated the site for the present Church.

Read More

Hurlstone Park, NSW - St Stephenos Greek Orthodox

Hurlstone Park, NSW - St Stephenos Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1924

Address: 650 New Canterbury Road, , Hurlstone Park New South Wales, 2193

The church building was purchased from the Anglican Church in 1984 and refurbished for Orthodox worship with the financial assistance of the parishioners. The official opening was blessed by His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos on Sunday 9th May 1999. The foundation stone of the original church was laid by Deborah Louise Vickery on 31 May…

Read More

Hurlstone Park, NSW - Uniting

Hurlstone Park, NSW - Uniting

Address: 1 Melford Street, , Hurlstone Park New South Wales, 2193

Read More

Hurstbridge, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Hurstbridge, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Address: Heidelberg Kinglake Road, , Hurstbridge Victoria, 3099

Read More

Hurstbridge, VIC - Uniting

Hurstbridge, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Main Road, , Hurstbridge Victoria, 3099

The Diamond Creek Methodist Mission commenced services in a hall in Hurstbridge around 1912. The Church was built in 1925 with a vestry added in 1949. In 1985 the church hall was transported from Plenty to the Hurstbridge site to create the current complex. The Church is Heritage listed. Walls are of timber stud construction,…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St George's Anglican

Hurstville, NSW - St George's Anglican

Address: 2 The Avenue, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

The parish of St Georges Hurstville was originally part of the historic parish of St Peter's Cooks River back in the year 1856. The ceremony of laying rhe foundation stone was performed by the Primate of Australia and the Archbishop of Sydney the Most Reverend Dr Barry DD on 6 April 1889. The old church was demolished in 1888 and a new…

Read More